Xbox 360's back in stock at Amazon

I understand that recent 360 systems no longer include the bonus media remote, so stores (or Microsoft themselves) will have to throw in another freebie or a price drop before I'm buying one.

If you don't have a remote control for you original Xbox, PS2 or stand alone DVD player I feel sorry for you.

Why am I extremely doubtful that the sole reason you wouldn't buy a 360 is remote control?

You're still getting a $99.99 HDD, $49.99 wireless controller, 25 feet of CAT 5 cable and $19.99 Xbox Live headset but you're going to maintain a lack of remote control is the reason you won't buy one? MMMMMKAY

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Why am I extremely doubtful that the sole reason you wouldn't buy a 360 is remote control?[/QUOTE]

Please don't try to defend M$. They've executed one of (if not THE) worst system launch I've experienced in my lifetime. I'm bitter because I've had to wait months and months to buy a 360 because of their inadequate supply system, and now even if I eventually do find one, I get less value (no media remote) for the same money.

No thanks, M$. I'll reward your lousy holiday release by waiting for a price drop in another year or two. Perhaps Sony or Nintendo will have better inventory control.

Well, it seems these are bundles being sold by gamestop via amazon. So, that's the real reason for the bundlemania that's going on here...

These threads are dubiously useful. Amazon (and all the other online sellers) have had bundled systems coming in and out of stock for months. I have been watching http://xbox360tracker.com where it currently lists like 10+ bundles you can buy right now, if you're desperate to get screwed.

[quote name='Machine']Wow, people sure have short memories. Why aren't people still bitter about the PS2 shortages when it launched?[/QUOTE]

Because this time its Microsoft, and everyone who is cool hates Microsoft.

Target seems to be the spot. I have seen a handful (3-5 core and premiums) of 360s at three different Targets this week. I agree that people seem to be more forgiving of Sony. The PS2 took 3-4 months before it was readily available in stores and there was a 1-2 month period where they literally didn't ship any to the US after launch. The remote thing is lame, but the remote included was super crappy, so it really isn't that big of a loss if you ask me.

using the lack of a $5 extra as an excuse not to get a 360 isnt really an excuse at all.....its just a reason to criticise.....

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']Please don't try to defend M$. They've executed one of (if not THE) worst system launch I've experienced in my lifetime. I'm bitter because I've had to wait months and months to buy a 360 because of their inadequate supply system, and now even if I eventually do find one, I get less value (no media remote) for the same money.

No thanks, M$. I'll reward your lousy holiday release by waiting for a price drop in another year or two. Perhaps Sony or Nintendo will have better inventory control.[/QUOTE]

It was pretty much the same way when they released the first playstation, PS2, Sega Saturn and Dreamcast and I know this because I had to wait months after intial release just to get mine. Its the same story with every new launch ( handhelds not included)

This has been out for three months now and I still can't walk in to a store and buy one (if I was going to buy one), and quite frankly that's just piss poor.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather have massive shortages than to have a company delay a launch while they wait 6 months accumulating a 5 million unit inventory.

What is going to be sad is that when the market floods with the systems the games will become scarce. I imagine the real mass of the systems will hit in march around the time of all new game releases.

[quote name='Machine']Wow, people sure have short memories. Why aren't people still bitter about the PS2 shortages when it launched?[/QUOTE]

The PS2 shortages were nothing compared to the Xbox360's shortages. I bought my PS2 at Target on the second week of launch and there were still plenty more on the shelf. This Xbox360's launch has been ridiculous. They better meet demands for supply soon or else people are just going to forget about it and start getting ready for Nintendo and Sony's launch instead.

[quote name='tholly']using the lack of a $5 extra as an excuse not to get a 360 isnt really an excuse at all.....its just a reason to criticise.....[/QUOTE]

Actually another remote (sure its bigger but its still the media remote) is like $29.99 in stores.

[quote name='Staind204']Actually another remote (sure its bigger but its still the media remote) is like $29.99 in stores.[/QUOTE]

....and your point....the one in stores is not the same as the freebie.....

....i know about the other remote......which is much bigger and has many more functions.....and, i'd be surprised if either the big or little remote cost microsoft more then $1 or $2 to make it....

...yes, i did get the free remote with my 360, but it definitely didnt draw me to the system, and if i didnt find a system in wal-mart, it wouldnt have bothered me to get a system later without the mini remote.....

If your that worried about a remote go to a sam goody and pick it up since its 30% off of 29.95. Besides everyone knows that the remote was a bonus for standing in line for xbox 360. lol

[quote name='jasonlives13']The PS2 shortages were nothing compared to the Xbox360's shortages. I bought my PS2 at Target on the second week of launch and there were still plenty more on the shelf. This Xbox360's launch has been ridiculous. They better meet demands for supply soon or else people are just going to forget about it and start getting ready for Nintendo and Sony's launch instead.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember waiting 3 months, and still walking into a store and NOT finding a single system on the shelf. This did not happen with the ps2. Maybe if you walked into a gamestop or ebgames, but mostly all other stores (including kbtoys, and toysrus) had systems available for you to walk in and buy.
I've become so disgusted with it, that even if I'm not 100% into handhelds I've begun to invest into the Nintendo DS, and its improving library of games, instead of holding my money for Bill to decide when the problem will be corrected.

[quote name='gtguru']Because this time its Microsoft, and everyone who is cool hates Microsoft.[/QUOTE]There's a reason the word "Microsoft" does not appear anywhere on the front of the 360 box. They've earned their horrible reputation.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Those remotes are pointless anyway. Mine is till in the box.[/QUOTE]

Word. It's not even the nice one that retails for $30. It's some kid sized stripped down version.

*cough* People actually wanted the PS2, too.

I don't know why someone waiting for the consoles back in the mid-90s wouldn't have just pre-paid. That was a guaranteed in then. No one was waiting on the Saturn's launch day because it was a surprise. The PlayStation was rather readily available until Christmas. The PS2 could be dug up if you were willing to look; the Dreamcast was admittedly a bit hard to find for a while.

Like anything, there are some people who write "M$" because their friends do it. But if that's the extent of your understanding of why someone might dislike the company, you should refrain from comment yourself.

I don't think the shortage is really what's upsetting anyone. It's the manufactured nature of it, demanding that stores write up "360 SOLD OUT" signs before agreeing to ship units, and shipping faulty consoles housing a notoriously hot processor with an unprecedented three cores, cooled by nothing beyond an ungodly huge heatsink. The only game generating any meaningful compliments is Geometry Wars, with some oddball praise for Condemned.

All of the mentioned consoles sold at insane rates in Japan except the PlayStation (speaking of the launch here). The Xbox 360 has consistently outsold only two consoles in Japan since launch: the original Xbox, and the original Game Boy Advance (as in, non-SP). The Microsoft mentality is antithetical and often offensive to gamers, a group that doesn't generally buy the "this is good, you buy it because we say so" shovelware for long. MS then compounds it by gushing about an external HD-DVD drive that should have been included were they to go that route.

I agree that launching with limited consoles is preferable to waiting on your hands for six months, but how many people wouldn't have been willing to wait on this one, especially with the launch titles only using one core (which doesn't bode well for overheating problems, but anyway)? You couldn't play Guitar Hero while waiting for Call of Duty 2? Which would you rather play as it is?

If the 360 was worth your money, I'm glad for you. But I agree with the OP; Microsoft needs to give more incentive if they want their console to sell better, not less- which goes back to scaring the consumer into buying the product instead of making something they want on its own.

[quote name='diaeresis']*cough* People actually wanted the PS2, too.

I don't know why someone waiting for the consoles back in the mid-90s wouldn't have just pre-paid. That was a guaranteed in then. No one was waiting on the Saturn's launch day because it was a surprise. The PlayStation was rather readily available until Christmas. The PS2 could be dug up if you were willing to look; the Dreamcast was admittedly a bit hard to find for a while.

Like anything, there are some people who write "M$" because their friends do it. But if that's the extent of your understanding of why someone might dislike the company, you should refrain from comment yourself.

I don't think the shortage is really what's upsetting anyone. It's the manufactured nature of it, demanding that stores write up "360 SOLD OUT" signs before agreeing to ship units, and shipping faulty consoles housing a notoriously hot processor with an unprecedented three cores, cooled by nothing beyond an ungodly huge heatsink. The only game generating any meaningful compliments is Geometry Wars, with some oddball praise for Condemned.

All of the mentioned consoles sold at insane rates in Japan except the PlayStation (speaking of the launch here). The Xbox 360 has consistently outsold only two consoles in Japan since launch: the original Xbox, and the original Game Boy Advance (as in, non-SP). The Microsoft mentality is antithetical and often offensive to gamers, a group that doesn't generally buy the "this is good, you buy it because we say so" shovelware for long. MS then compounds it by gushing about an external HD-DVD drive that should have been included were they to go that route.

I agree that launching with limited consoles is preferable to waiting on your hands for six months, but how many people wouldn't have been willing to wait on this one, especially with the launch titles only using one core (which doesn't bode well for overheating problems, but anyway)? You couldn't play Guitar Hero while waiting for Call of Duty 2? Which would you rather play as it is?

If the 360 was worth your money, I'm glad for you. But I agree with the OP; Microsoft needs to give more incentive if they want their console to sell better, not less- which goes back to scaring the consumer into buying the product instead of making something they want on its own.[/QUOTE]

Well written my friend. I wholly agree with your arguments. M$ has botched this launch in a major way and they still have problems looming: the only killer apps coming along are Elder Scrolls and an eventual Halo 3. They desperately need some great games to encourage gamers to buy now that launch hype has died off.

Personally for me, there are no games so far that have been released or announced (sans Halo 3) that have me remotely interested in the next box.

[quote name='diaeresis']
I don't think the shortage is really what's upsetting anyone. It's the manufactured nature of it, demanding that stores write up "360 SOLD OUT" signs before agreeing to ship units, and shipping faulty consoles housing a notoriously hot processor with an unprecedented three cores, cooled by nothing beyond an ungodly huge heatsink. [/QUOTE]

From what I've seen failure rates are ~3% which is less than most consumer goods. How many gen 1 PS2s are still up and running after the infamous Disc Read Errors? I know mine isn't.

Also, what else would you cool a multicore system with? Even Apple's Quad core G5 uses a big heatsink and fans. I can't imagine that water cooling would be a reasonable option for a consumer item like a console. I'm sure Sony and Nintendo will be using air cooling for their new consoles.

[quote name='diaeresis']
I agree that launching with limited consoles is preferable to waiting on your hands for six months, but how many people wouldn't have been willing to wait on this one, especially with the launch titles only using one core (which doesn't bode well for overheating problems, but anyway)?[/QUOTE]

Very wrong, all of the launch titles are using all three cores, even Geometry Wars runs on all three cores: "The first core runs the game itself and the particle subsystem, the second core manages the 60,000 point gravity grid used as background, and the third core is in charge of the audio rendering." - http://wiki.xboxic.com/Geometry_Wars:_Retro_Evolved

Yeah, but I bought one from target and in less than 24 hours it blew up! The security guard told me that there were several returns for defective systems there. I agree with MaxBiaggi3, not about the remote issue, but the worst launch scenario. I know there are defective systems all over the place, so I am not saying it is the worst launch because of that. I Love my XBOX. It is so obvious that the system was rushed, and it shows in alot of the games.

[quote name='ricdafric`']Yeah, but I bought one from target and in less than 24 hours it blew up! The security guard told me that there were several returns for defective systems there. I agree with MaxBiaggi3, not about the remote issue, but the worst launch scenario. I know there are defective systems all over the place, so I am not saying it is the worst launch because of that. I Love my XBOX. It is so obvious that the system was rushed, and it shows in alot of the games.[/QUOTE]

i really doubt there are defective launch systems all over the place....

...1st off, this is the internet...if i hate microsoft i could say that i bought 2 360s one for each of my kids and they both died ... and no one would know im really 22 with no kids, 1 perfect 360 and no complaints, but this is the internet, so we dont know what is true....

...also, stories spread like wildfire on the net.....

...plus, if you read a story on one site, it may be the same story from 2, 3, 4, etc websites.....so, if you read 80 bad stories about the 360, they may really only be about 1 or 2 systems, a very very very small majority of those shipped, and a very small number of defects for a new good....

[quote name='Sku Rhim']Well written my friend. I wholly agree with your arguments. M$ has botched this launch in a major way and they still have problems looming: the only killer apps coming along are Elder Scrolls and an eventual Halo 3. They desperately need some great games to encourage gamers to buy now that launch hype has died off.

Personally for me, there are no games so far that have been released or announced (sans Halo 3) that have me remotely interested in the next box.[/QUOTE]

I'm personally very pleased with my 360 purchase so far, simply for Condemned and PGR3. I'm really looking forward to Fight Night Round 3 next week. I'm sure there will be a PS3 port of it, but I'd certainly rather play it now. Also, I'm really interested in what Blue Dragon will be like. I'm sure SquareEnix is working on a PS3 project(s), but I doubt if they'll have a full-fledged traditional RPG ready in 2006. Lastly, I think Too Human has potential, if only because Silicon Knights has apparently had the storyline and scenarios written for years and have been waiting for the graphic capabilities of a console to match their vision for the game. I doubt it will be a rush-job. I'm getting a Revolution at launch, but I fully expect to spending more time with solid 2nd generation 360 titles next Christmas.

If you are looking for a 360... do what I did. Someone suggested I go to target at 8 AM (before work) every morning. I went on Monday and Tues morning of this week and bought a 360 on Tues.

2 days of going in the morning and I found one. You will not find one at lunch time or after work.

Just pick a store like Target or Walmart and go every morning. I am sure you will find one.

The sheer notion of somone passing up buying an XBox 360 because it doesn't include the "bonus limited time media" remote is just ridiculous considering the demand for the console, and for people complaining about the games I really don't get it: Project Gotham 3, Dead or Alive 4 and Call of Duty 2 are all great games; and those are just my favorites, several people are loving Condemed, Perfect Dark, Kameo, etc, the list goes on... there are good games to choose from, no there wasn't anything of "instant classic" status, but what is there is certainly very good.. I'm just sick of the whining. Of course there is going to be a shortage people, there is no other next-gen console to compete with it.

I am glad i got one at launch, because it might be hard to buy one when Oblivion or the 6 other games coming out in March arrive.

While I agree that there is going to have to be some incentive for people like me to buy a system now that I missed the launch, I have to say the biggest problem is the lack of systems on the shelves. I'm starting to think that the PS3 or Revolution will have a system on the shelf before Microsoft.

I'm really hoping for a $199 Revolution and a $399 PS3. That will allow me to get the Revolution and watch PS3 and Microsoft battle for number 1 (Hopefully via some price cuts or included games.)

First, before I get jumped all over for being an "MS hater", let me just say that the PS2 launch was a disaster too. OK, got that out of the way.

So here's the deal. The 360 launch was most definitely an unmitigated disaster. Did you know Nintendo sold more Gamecubes in the holiday quarter in the USA than MS sold 360s? This with absolutely ZERO new Nintendo software (Zelda is still big-time MIA). MS blew the launch, and retailers have sharpened the pain by selling the few available systems in $1000 bundles.

Now lets get over it... Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is almost here, which hopefully means we can discuss interesting things like games, rather than retail fulfillment.

my local target has had 360s in stock every time ive been there in the last two weeks it varies btwn cores and premiums, the store i speak of is in seaside california havn't been there in a couple of days though.

M$ botched the launch so much worse than ps, because of me. I'm so cool I've been hating M$ back when bill gates worked for apple, and there'll be enough ps3 for everyone, and sony's so cool they're giving everybody who owns a ps2 one for free.

The people who complain about the launch are always the bitter people that didn't get one or the sony fan boys. Either way you're missing out on an excellent system, sucks for you..

I've never seen the Xbox 360's in stock in store yet. I think most of the retailers in my area never got a shipment after the initial release. The most likely culprit for the continued shortage was MS is trying to deal with an overall world wide demand for the sytem, especially in Europe. One of the drawbacks or attempting a world wide release is trying to support and increase demand for the system while manufacturing process isn't refined yet to be optimal to produce enough systems. I'm a fan of schedule release because there's a better chance there will be more systems for each launch and with each launch there will be a better selection of games. Chalk this up to a lesson learned for the gaming industy, it's probably worth while to stagger and plan your launches for a system, in MS case there was really no reason to do it because it looks like PS3 won't hit U.S. shores until late 2006 or early 2007. It will even be later for Europe who probably won't get the system until mid 2007.

[quote name='alive741']Either way you're missing out on an excellent system, sucks for you..[/QUOTE]

I don't own an HDTV either, so I probably couldn't appreciate the 360's capabilities the way you rich folks can even if I could find one to buy. :cry:

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']I don't own an HDTV either, so I probably couldn't appreciate the 360's capabilities the way you rich folks can even if I could find one to buy. :cry:[/QUOTE]
You don't need an HDTV "appreciate the 360's capabilities" any more than you need one to appreciate XBox 1 games that support HD.. the games look great HD or no HD... a higher resolution can only do so much.

[quote name='alive741']The people who complain about the launch are always the bitter people that didn't get one or the sony fan boys. Either way you're missing out on an excellent system, sucks for you..[/QUOTE]

I don't want one and I enjoy VIDEO GAMES, I don't care who makes them. Sucks for me? I would think it sucks for YOU, $400 for the system, $60 for the games? I'll wait for the fourth price drop and the $20 games before I'll jump in. This is after all, CHEAP ass gamer.

[quote name='Demontooth']I don't want one and I enjoy VIDEO GAMES, I don't care who makes them. Sucks for me? I would think it sucks for YOU, $400 for the system, $60 for the games? I'll wait for the fourth price drop and the $20 games before I'll jump in. This is after all, CHEAP ass gamer.[/QUOTE]

You'll be waiting for awhile then.

I have a 360, but I do have to agree there is no killer game for me yet. PD0 was very disappointing, COD2 is great but I have it for the PC, and PGR isn't my cup of tea. All I really do is play Halo 2 on it and the 360 doesn't even do that perfectly.

However, the potential for the 360 is there, since Live on 360 is amazing (Can't wait for SFII:Turbo). If only my friends could get systems too?!? -_-

[quote name='gtguru']Because this time its Microsoft, and everyone who is cool hates Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

after stealing several billion dollars, Microsoft has earned every bit of the hatred.

[quote name='OGHowie']You'll be waiting for awhile then.[/QUOTE]

And I'm perfectly fine with that. I didn't get a PS2 until October of last year. I got nothing but time.

bread's done
Back