Xbox Banning Discussion

Got console banned as well. My main account is not banned(yet?). It's a shame but, oh well, it is what it is. I've always said no to piracy on my 360(since launch) but after this I might reconsider. The ban is acceptable, the duration of the ban is not. 

First off...DAMN AM I GLAD I DIDN'T PARTAKE IN THESE FREE GAMES SHENANIGANS

but the compatibilty packs are just for see what have the others, as the ones from Dead Rising 2 or Super Street Fighter, if you don't have them, you are seeing them in default skins
I guess with all the out of region stealing talk, people here have forgotten the point of this thread...it doesn't matter what the DLC does or is for, its free and we want it!

Add me to the banned console list. Does anyone know if we can transfer the saved games to a different hd drive and be ok?
Save files are generally just tied to the account they are used with...there are few cases where saves are locked to a console, but that can be overcome with a full transfer off all content on the drive.

That said, hdd has nothing to do with anything, go free using it as is, just on a different console...

All i want to know is when I put my old hd into my new 360 will it get banned again? Since it still has the games on it
No, see above. Microsoft does not magically scan the HDD and immediately ban. There use to be issues using different sized drives with the original xbox and in the early days of the xbox 360, but that's about it. The extent of banning a HDD can get you only goes as far as system files and MAYBE partitioning/size/certified/etc

Most of the games were purchased on my other 360, that I still have, fortunately, but I transferred the licenses over to the new (banned) one over a month ago. Something is not kosher with this, as MS is the one stealing legitimately purchased games and "money" from me.
Did you ever "redownload" you license transferred content? You need to manually redownload everything individually after a license transfer to essentially reassociate the license keys on the new xbox.

Well, on the plus side, my main account wasn't banned.... yet. The email I received was to my other address that is similar to the one tied to my main account. I'm guessing that's the one my fiance used.

I deleted everything that was suspect and popped the HDD into my other Xbox and logged in just fine. The thing that sucks about that 360 getting banned was it still had a full warranty on it until next August. :/
Hmmm...not gonna suggest anything specific here...but your banned xbox is still under warranty...take advantage of that...

You might wanna go back to this post and edit it up, since there could be someone using the threads to locate suspect/bannable GTs

And if you hit the "Initial Setup" bottom on your dashboard?
This will change the console id? As it reset your console completely..
Console ID is specifically saved in the console, can't change it officially.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys made fraudulent accounts for countries you didn't reside in to get mispriced software...do you think you'd just get away with it?

Damn, you all got my nervous. I haven't received a ban, knock on wood. If I disconnect my console from the Internet then my digital content should be playable still, right?

You guys made fraudulent accounts for countries you didn't reside in to get mispriced software...do you think you'd just get away with it?
why not just ban the stupid fraudulent accounts then? or perhaps spend more money on better software engineers to ensure that your online service which makes literally millions of dollars a month doesn't have stupid ass glitches like this?

hey lets pay some additional employees money to sit around and nuke consoles from people who've spent thousands on the service...instead of hiring better coders to ensure shit like this (which should never happen from the company's point of view) happens. seems very silly to me. MS should be 'banning' the crappy employees they have that allowed this stuff to go online in the first place long before they start nuking their own hardware locking themselves out of future purchases from lots of people.

OMG I am still ahead of this ban spread, I accessed my account in my school, changed the password, then reported hacked, they froze my account, helping me to get my account "back". Also overheated my console, rang support to arrange for repair, getting a new console. I am going to escape all this MS BS.

OMG I am still ahead of this ban spread, I accessed my account in my school, changed the password, then reported hacked, they froze my account, helping me to get my account "back". Also overheated my console, rang support to arrange for repair, getting a new console. I am going to escape all this MS BS.
Best post on the thread hands down

Damn, you all got my nervous. I haven't received a ban, knock on wood. If I disconnect my console from the Internet then my digital content should be playable still, right?
Im super nervous to, my xbox.com profile is fine, no emails yet, but i havent checked my console yet. Later i will know my fate i guess

Hmmm...not gonna suggest anything specific here...but your banned xbox is still under warranty...take advantage of that...
That's what I was wondering about. The only info I could find about banned Xboxes and warranties was about modded consoles. My account still shows the Xbox warranty active until next year, so I guess that's a good sign.

uhhh so my console is banned but not GT....anyway...just tried booting up some games on my (banned) console and they still work....i have well over 100 digital games on here...so 'theoretically', can't i just give this console to a friend, and he'll have all these games forever? even if i do get a new xbox? or am i missing something here? do the licenses on the 'banned' console never run out, or are these all going to just stop working one day? bc if they don't...shit it's like ms just gave me an extra copy of 120ish games, albeit on a console that can't go online.

I was just messing with you, but seriously, this has been happening for years (signing up for Japanese accounts for demos for example). Why is MS doing something now?
Bans are not because of creating accounts in different regions - people doing this since the console launch. Oman/Morocco thing was an exploit, because you can't find these games normally when log-in on your xbox - it clearly says ''XBL is not supported on your country'' or something and not a single game shows. We were getting these after log-out search them in other marketplace, then log-in. So yeah, can't say we do not deserve the bans.

Bans are not because of creating accounts in different regions - people doing this since the console launch. Oman/Morocco thing was an exploit, because you can't find these games normally when log-in on your xbox - it clearly says ''XBL is not supported on your country'' or something and not a single game shows. We were getting these after log-out search them in other marketplace, then log-in. So yeah, can't say we do not deserve the bans.
you didnt have to log out thats untrue.

all you had to do was search the game via bing or the search function.

I am just trying to figure out what MS is doing, here are some questions if you guys can answer.

1. Is this ban currently only affecting North American accounts?

2. Did you actually played the games on the account that was banned?

3. Did you fully downloaded the games onto your banned console?

Information gathered from other forums:

It appears Europe and Asia accounts isn't affected by it yet, maybe I don't know enough people from these region or it is by stages.

second, only accounts that played these games were banned, while some who got only console banned didn't play the content on any accounts.

Some like me didn't even finish downloading any games (merely added to download history), are not currently banned at all.

Any info provided would help.

I am just trying to figure out what MS is doing, here are some questions if you guys can answer.

It appears Europe and Asia accounts isn't affected by it yet, maybe I don't know enough people from these region or it is by stages.

second, only accounts that played these games were banned, while some who got only console banned didn't play the content on any accounts.

Some like me didn't even finish downloading any games (merely added to download history), are not currently banned at all.

Im in Australia and so far im still gravy, although ive deleted the associated accounts and game now.

I just downloaded them I didn't play any of the games if I do plan on playing them I'm not playing them on my main account console hasn't been banned (crossing my fingers) and my account is still fine.

Although I did lunch them to see if they worked but I deleted them off my achievements list if that makes a difference.

you didnt have to log out thats untrue.

all you had to do was search the game via bing or the search function.
My point is still valid. Buying somehow, from a marketplace that technically doesn't exist, is kinda not their fault.

Friend of mine got only his console banned and he was played most of these games on his main account.

Oh no, just the common sense police.
Well if you're talking common sense no one got banned for getting AC3 free last year, why would people think this time was going to be any different ?

Anyway the moral arguments are getting real boring, and pointless.

The argument that "I didn't get caught before, so why should I get caught now?" is pretty pointless too. Just because it's something that you knew you weren't supposed to do, and didn't get caught for before, doesn't mean you'll never get punished for doing it. I don't feel any moral obigation not to exploit MS screw ups, but I'm full of "what if I get caught?" paranoia. Glad I didn't mess with any of this

Well if you're talking common sense no one got banned for getting AC3 free last year, why would people think this time was going to be any different ?

Anyway the moral arguments are getting real boring, and pointless.
You're fraudulently making an account for another country with the intent to download games that have been mispriced.

This is not a "oops I pressed the wrong button" situation. You had to jump through some hoops to do what most intelligent people would know is wrong.

It's like stealing from an actual real-life retail store...just because you didn't get busted the first time doesn't mean it's particularly intelligent to keep doing it.

You're fraudulently making an account for another country with the intent to download games that have been mispriced.

This is not a "oops I pressed the wrong button" situation. You had to jump through some hoops to do what most intelligent people would know is wrong.

It's like stealing from an actual real-life retail store...just because you didn't get busted the first time doesn't mean it's particularly intelligent to keep doing it.
Its not stealing if it clearly says "free" on it, the stores fault.

What's the point in you posting stuff like this? What's happened already happened. Giving everyone a spiel about how immoral it is isn't going to do anything.

It's called a glitch. You are obviously perfect and have never used any coupons that weren't supposed to be stacked, got b2g2 (instead of b2g1), or got something for a price that was obviously a price error.

And this is like stealing from a retail store? I think you are getting what people did confused with piracy.

why do people continuously feel the need to keep dragging this thread down?

maybe we need a 'marketplace discussion thread' or something to keep this one informative, and all other useless spiels elsewhere?

please take your peeing match to pm or something.

shouldn't have to dig through a bunch of garbage bickering to find what's new and free in the list of free marketplace thread.

tumblr_static_tumblr_mgqsj7rhta1rvuqp4o1_r1_400.gif

Luckily my main account (Gold until next June, 2400MSP, +100k GS ands lots of saves) wasn't banned, just the console. I'm thinking of buying a new arcade with HDMI and to use the usb stick and HDD from the banned one, will I have any problem with that ? Do I have to delete Rayman and the free stuff before connecting the new console ?

Btw all the free games I got(except AC3), I shared with a friend. He used the license transfer to all the free stuff so he could play on his account. He got no ban whatsoever. Is it safe to say that if you transferred the license of all the stuff, you would'nt get banned ?

Just checked my main account which starts with I.... and my Russian account with A...

& nothing!

No emails, I didn't go Online with my Xbox and can't confirm any banns, frankly I'm not gonna go online : )   F... it!

If anything happens to my box I'll say "F... U MS, I'm sticking with Sony!"  

With this banning thing MS will surely loose customers!

Luckily my main account (Gold until next June, 2400MSP, +100k GS ands lots of saves) wasn't banned, just the console. I'm thinking of buying a new arcade with HDMI and to use the usb stick and HDD from the banned one, will I have any problem with that ?
i recommend an arcade and buying a renegade large HD from ebay, they are about $50 for a 320 gig one. assuming you had a lot of digital content; the reason being, if you had a lot of digital games, your banned console/hd will still play all of those games. so if you plan on selling the console, or giving it to a friend, you will still have allllll those games on there if you keep the HD with the console, no matter if you do future license transfers. for me personally it was like ms giving me a dupe copy of 100+ games. def worth a new, larger HD for about $50 considering the boost in value my banned system gets from having all that stuff on it.

i recommend an arcade and buying a renegade large HD from ebay, they are about $50 for a 320 gig one. assuming you had a lot of digital content; the reason being, if you had a lot of digital games, your banned console/hd will still play all of those games. so if you plan on selling the console, or giving it to a friend, you will still have allllll those games on there if you keep the HD with the console, no matter if you do future license transfers. for me personally it was like ms giving me a dupe copy of 100+ games. def worth a new, larger HD for about $50 considering the boost in value my banned system gets from having all that stuff on it.
Thanks for the tip but I'm not thinking about selling my hdd. I don't even know if I can pay for a new(or used) Arcade, let alone a new hdd. I just want to play my games and that's it. The banned console will have to be sold without the HDD(I understand it's way cheaper that way). I just want to be sure if my saves and installed games will work in my new 360? Mainly the most recent saves(GTA, Forza, BF3, FIFA, etc...) are the only ones I need to work with.

Well they banned my Rayman account Im hoping my GT and Xbox doesnt get banned, that would be hell all over again
this! but i already exchanged my xbox for a new one today...just in case. didnt cost me anything ;)

i just came back from work and dont want to try to log in with my main account on xbox.com.

I asked xbox forums yesterday why my xbox (im sure its the free games)got banned and i linked it to my email. when i checked threw my email it comes up as if they deleted my question and i never got any emails what so ever.

This topic may as well be nuked. Hasn't been any free stuff posted since the free games y'all are still talking about over a week later. 

So I ask why I was console banned and this is what they said to me on the forums:

This console was banned for the theft or attempted theft of marketplace assets, specifically by attempting to utilize or share fraudulent methods in order to obtain content or redemption codes.

The conduct that caused this ban may include, but is not limited to:

-   Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing

-   Illegitimate acquisition of redemption codes or marketplace content

To help avoid future account suspensions, and console bans, please review the Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct and the Terms of Use here:

http://www.xbox.com/Legal/CodeOfConduct

http://www.xbox.com/Legal/LiveTOU

I'm sure all the little White Knights at xbox.com are having a field day with all these people from CAG and x360a freaking out all over their boards. 

What's the point in you posting stuff like this? What's happened already happened. Giving everyone a spiel about how immoral it is isn't going to do anything.

It's called a glitch. You are obviously perfect and have never used any coupons that weren't supposed to be stacked, got b2g2 (instead of b2g1), or got something for a price that was obviously a price error.

And this is like stealing from a retail store? I think you are getting what people did confused with piracy.
It's because both here and elsewhere folks are like "Buh? Wha? My console's banned? Why? All I did was harmlessly make an account illegitimately for a country I don't reside in to download a bunch of games that were mispriced. I don't know why Microsoft would ban me for that!"

And it's like...really? Are you sincerely shocked that your console got banned for basically defrauding the system?

It's because both here and elsewhere folks are like "Buh? Wha? My console's banned? Why? All I did was harmlessly make an account illegitimately for a country I don't reside in to download a bunch of games that were mispriced. I don't know why Microsoft would ban me for that!"

And it's like...really? Are you sincerely shocked that your console got banned for basically defrauding the system?
I get what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure MS never said anything like that in their ToS until people were being banned.

I just don't get why it's okay to do something like this on PC or PS3, but 360 is a big no no. *sigh* Microsoft... Restrictions like these make me really happy Microsoft didn't go through with original Xbox One plans.

I don't think nobody is shocked or freaking out here. Maybe surprised at the sudden ban, but it's somewhat understandable. We've all done something out of the way to get something free, now deal with the consequences and move on. Buy a PS3 or whatever.

If you were too paranoid to download a free game, good for you. Gloating because of other people's ban just makes you a bit of an asshole. 

I don't think nobody is shocked or freaking out here. Maybe surprised at the sudden ban, but it's somewhat understandable. We've all done something out of the way to get something free, now deal with the consequences and move on. Buy a PS3 or whatever.

If you were too paranoid to download a free game, good for you. Gloating because of other people's ban just makes you a bit of an asshole.
Well said. SURE DOES.

Yes, maximumzero has done a bang up job rubbing everybody's noses in it ad nauseam. He really deserves a cookie for his efforts.

Anyway, my Bosnia & Oman accounts were banned sometime last night/this morning after my Russian account and console were banned Wednesday. I felt sufficiently spanked by MS with the console ban, but it seemed my main account was spared, and I would bite the bullet and get a new console. But if they keep circling back, I wonder if my main account will be safe after all. I accept the console ban as punishment, I just hope/wonder if it's over.

bread's done
Back