Xbox Banning Discussion

Yes, maximumzero has done a bang up job rubbing everybody's noses in it ad nauseam. He really deserves a cookie for his efforts.

Anyway, my Bosnia & Oman accounts were banned sometime last night/this morning after my Russian account and console were banned Wednesday. I felt sufficiently spanked by MS with the console ban, but it seemed my main account was spared, and I would bite the bullet and get a new console. But if they keep circling back, I wonder if my main account will be safe after all. I accept the console ban as punishment, I just hope/wonder if it's over.
Don't get too comfortable yet. I don't think the banhammer is done hammering out "justice."

Don't get too comfortable yet. I don't think the banhammer is done hammering out "justice."
It's all speculative. There's really no rhyme or reason apparent yet as to why some people got a console ban and some people got console + main account ban. Like I said, I accept the console ban but I think the main account ban is excessive for the "crime", seeing as they cripple everything you legitimately bought.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because both here and elsewhere folks are like "Buh? Wha? My console's banned? Why? All I did was harmlessly make an account illegitimately for a country I don't reside in to download a bunch of games that were mispriced. I don't know why Microsoft would ban me for that!"

And it's like...really? Are you sincerely shocked that your console got banned for basically defrauding the system?
So... I sat back and read these last twenty pages. Most of this thread is laughable, at best.

On the one hand there are people who seem to still be in denial about the bans even happening, despite enough consoles in the streets to build a fort.

Then we have the 'moral high grounders' who are apparently tossing around loaded terms like "defrauding the system," "theft" and "illegitimate accounts." It's all about perspective and I'd suggest the lot of you actually gain some. In the vast majority of these cases I highly doubt there's a single person who can be legally classified as committing fraud, absolutely no criminal deception. I have a Japanese account for demos and sales. I speak Japanese, but do not live there. I placed the region as Japan. By clicking the button tagged as "region" in favor of Japan, I'm not stating I actually live there. If they asked. I would not claim as much, either. They permit account region migrations on their website. It permits you to move your Xbox membership from the region it’s associated with now to any other Xbox LIVE-supported region. No requirements. The only restrictions, can do it once every three months and all content may not be available in new region (no refunds). If the system isn't designed to allow consoles multiple accounts in multiple regions, then the system needs to block it. You don't need to region lock. It's a value check for multiple regions on account page.

As for Theft? Allegations of theft is extremely dangerous as there is legally no theft occurring. This could, however, be considered defamation on behalf of Microsoft especially with regard to their ban forums. The crux of these allegations appear to be under the guise that parties involved are Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing. First, when it comes to account migrations, there's no fraudulent methods being used. There is no claim to residence. Second, in the cases where people created regional accounts outside one's actual residence this has never been a policy and any non-regional account fits beneath this bill. I have a sneaking suspicion that these high "globalization" numbers for Xbox Live that they post at their conference would be cut in half if it had been. Lastly, the problem isn't that people were using multiple accounts to obtain region specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing.... because after some research... here is a little known fact. These were not Xbox Live supported regions, the games were tagged as free because they had no regional pricing. They placed the value at 0, which automatically showed up as free. What I do not understand is why the games were not tagged as 99999999 MSP or Dollars. Microsoft has a history or placing astronomical values on things not meant for sale (Gold weapons, GOW2, unreleased DLC). From what I understand a significant number of games even had prices in those regions, despite no XBL support for the region. In short, Microsoft was caught with their pants down and people took advantage of an obvious mistake on those particular games. A pricing error. Plain and simple. Microsoft was caught with their pants down. You can have some misguided morality debate about region hopping forever and people have/will, but this is not a morality clause issue. You're on a website that is known for users who abuse pricing errors, glitches and promotions for retail/online stores. Get over yourselves.

Finally, we have the 'guilty' parties. Sorry folks. I don't have much to say here. This information was readily available in dozens of places. Nobody accidentally went into those regions and discovered freebies. As inane as this argument is, you aren't Costa Rican Refugees living in Oman and about the relocate to Bosnia. You're just as to blame as Microsoft for having a pretty inept system, but the rampant paranoia that occurred with questions like "could this lead to a ban" also means you knew the risk. A forum member telling you "don't worry, they haven't in the past" does not mean they can't or won't. A lot of that conversation was moderated out as they tried to keep the conversation to a minimum. Microsoft has their Terms of Services (can remove service for any reason) at their side and can be justified for anything related to live, even the meltdown of the system. There is no recourse and very little sympathy to be had. The system was broke and The people who "got away with it" for the last 4 years with games like Sanctum of Slime and Assassin's Creed III breathed a collective sigh of relief if they "missed out" on this one. It may be frustrating, but it's reality and it happened. You have the right to be frustrated/annoyed, but not really the entitlement to *demand* anything. If it has you that upset, don't go back out and buy another Xbox 360. Hell. Abstain from an Xbox One. After perusing these last few pages it's a bit obvious that many of your main accounts were left untouched and that's why so many were quiet at first. Many see that as a blessing, but you may want to ask yourselves why? Why ban only 3/4 or even 7/8 accounts on your systems?

This whole scenario does, however, highlight the problem with a device that locks external pay features behind the wall of Live. I guess everybody should have petitioned to abandon that model instead of the features that even their PR or creators couldn't articulate.

It's all speculative. There's really no rhyme or reason apparent yet as to why some people got a console ban and some people got console + main account ban. Like I said, I accept the console ban but I think the main account ban is excessive for the "crime", seeing as they cripple everything you legitimately bought.
Their punishment system is tiered. People with previous infractions or multiple (3) infractions in this instance likely saw their console banned. I think the only people who have claimed their console has not been banned (sp00ge in particular) admitted to creating or migrating two accounts or shared the account with another (and the other persons console got banned)..

Blah blah blah
Great read. I read it all. Lesson: on Xbox 360, never download "free" games from other regions. Heck, don't even do it if I see it for free on the US marketplace! Feel free to continue to do it on PS3, since Sony doesn't seem to care about people getting Plus games (and other free games) from other regions.

Great read. I read it all. I have definitely learned my lesson: on Xbox 360, never download "free" games from other regions. Heck, I won't even do it if I see it for free on the US marketplace! I'll continue to do it on PS3 since Sony doesn't seem to care about people getting Plus games (and other free games) from other regions.
i read it all too i was just talkin shit lol.

I can understand all the people wanting help converting stuff, but noone really cares if your shit gets banned, especially in a thread that's already had problems staying alive. Go somewhere else with this talk. 

I can understand all the people wanting help converting stuff, but noone really cares if your shit gets banned, especially in a thread that's already had problems staying alive. Go somewhere else with this talk.
youve been here 10 years and have 245 posts i doubt anyone cares about your input. when the mods get around to it theyll clean the thread up its none of your concern.

youve been here 10 years and have 245 posts i doubt anyone cares about your input. when the mods get around to it theyll clean the thread up its none of your concern.
You signed up 4 months ago. Almost all of your paltry 38 posts are about this shit anyways. Shut the fuck up. I've lurked more than you've even been on this website. I don't want this thread to have to be made for a third time in less than a month. I know thedevilman and others have worked on this. Plus, how hard is it for someone to create a thread elsewhere for problems they're having? Especially when we all know others are having the same problem, thanks to the countless posts all over the rest of the internet.

You signed up 4 months ago. Almost all of your paltry 38 posts are about this shit anyways. Shut the fuck up. I've lurked more than you've even been on this website. I don't want this thread to have to be made for a third time in less than a month. I know thedevilman and others have worked on this. Plus, how hard is it for someone to create a thread elsewhere for problems they're having? Especially when we all know others are having the same problem, thanks to the countless posts all over the rest of the internet.
so how exactly do you know how long i lurked before signing up? and if it wasnt for the posts that have been deleted id have around 125 which is half of what you had in 10 years,keep lurking.

dude had the nerve to say paltry 38 posts when you have 200 more in almost 10 more years LOL.

so how exactly do you know how long i lurked before signing up? and if it wasnt for the posts that have been deleted id have around 125 which is half of what you had in 10 years,keep lurking.

dude had the nerve to say paltry 38 posts when you have 200 more in almost 10 more years LOL.
You already lost, man

The only thing that has me a bit baffled is that they are banning regular customers. It's fair enough for them to be upset, but to ban a significant chunk of customers when they have such strong competition in the next twenty-four months... It seems rather short sighted.

Anyway, I don't play online. If it turns out that I get banned, what am I losing? All the content I want is already on my console. If only the game covers were cached for offline use...

The only thing that has me a bit baffled is that they are banning regular customers. It's fair enough for them to be upset, but to ban a significant chunk of customers when they have such strong competition in the next twenty-four months... It seems rather short sighted.

Anyway, I don't play online. If it turns out that I get banned, what am I losing? All the content I want is already on my console. If only the game covers were cached for offline use...
youre losing the right to redl your games if your console breaks.

yep i lost when youre the one whos been lurking a video game forum for 10 years.
I don't really care how long you've been lurking. You're the one that brought up a lack of posts, when the content of yours isn't of quality to even be kept on this website. I like to post mostly quality posts, rather than shit posting 150 posts about getting Rayman, and Angry birds, and whatever else, then posting about getting banned for it. I was 13 when I signed up for this website. I played video games a lot through highschool, and obviously tried to make the best of a lack of money. That's what this site is for. Not so much for the five years I was in college. Now that I have more free time, of course my activity in stuff I'm interested in is going to pick up you assuming fuck.

Do you know how many ppl downloaded free games from other regions like Morocco, Oman, etc. ?  

Loads & loads of ppl, it was like BOOM going through the forums, and not only CAG.  There was bunch of subscribed users, but now imagine the lurkers - probablly twice as more than subscribed ones.  

If that gets thousands of ppl banned its probably not really good move on MS, especially when they r in the lunch of the XboxOne

Instead of kissin our S 4 being a xbox dedicated customer MS kicks folks in the nuts, & it hurts bad if you have invested alot of money into the gamer account.

anyhow I feel Devilman is coming soon to sweep the trash lol so express ur opinion while u still can

:twisted:  People r postin unrelated sh't & even trollin.

Do you know how many ppl downloaded free games from other regions like Morocco, Oman, etc. ?

Loads & loads of ppl, it was like BOOM going through the forums, and not only CAG. There was bunch of subscribed users, but now imagine the lurkers - probablly twice as more than subscribed ones.

If that gets thousands of ppl banned its probably not really good move on MS, especially when they r in the lunch of the XboxOne

Instead of kissin our S 4 being a xbox dedicated customer MS kicks folks in the nuts, & it hurts bad if you have invested alot of money into the gamer account.

anyhow I feel Devilman is coming soon to sweep the trash lol so express ur opinion while u still can

:twisted: People r postin unrelated sh't & even trollin.
I'm sure the vast majority of gamers don't create multiple accounts. This probably impacts a small minority of their customer base, probably not even 1%. That said, I"m sure if they have lets say, 200k users banned, those people are probably buying far more content than the average gamer. I'm sure Sony would be more than happy to have them as they're likely a large part of those gamers that support the less popular games. I'm sure this is why MS is only banning consoles for most people. They want them to stick around.

stop replying to me man i dont care.
that's what I thought
Would you two STFU PLEASE?

Ohhh ooohhh!!!

raugxj.png

It's weird, I've been going over the support forum on xbox.com and checking the gamertags of people who posted today about being banned on xboxgamertag.com. It seems alot of people are from other countries, and only a few of the "free" games are listed in their history... I'm no better than those who got banned, I just find it odd that I'm still in the clear.

Well my console was just banned. Oh well at least I have my gamertag(for now at least) and an extra xbox without a hardrive which sucks cause I cant play GTA V but all I know is I wont do this again.

i think the console ban is really harsh. good thing i migrated my account to the US of A. the 360 i used to get the free games is dead and i have a newer 360 now.

Well my console was just banned. Oh well at least I have my gamertag(for now at least) and an extra xbox without a hardrive which sucks cause I cant play GTA V but all I know is I wont do this again.
I read elsewhere here that the console bans for this aren't corrupting HDD's like they usually do so just use that HDD in the new console.

this thread is so off topic. do a new thread and let the OP post free stuff. i may not be a mod but even i know this is getting way out of hand.

I read elsewhere here that the console bans for this aren't corrupting HDD's like they usually do so just use that HDD in the new console.
I cant I'm using an old white xbox now and the one banned was a slim.

Edit: And now my main account is gone. Oh well, wanted to start a new gamertag for awhile to redo some achievements in games. Also this thread has gotten pretty off topic but it's kinda nice to see a place to still talk about whats going on.

I cant I'm using an old white xbox now and the one banned was a slim.

Edit: And now my main account is gone. Oh well, wanted to start a new gamertag for awhile to redo some achievements in games. Also this thread has gotten pretty off topic but it's kinda nice to see a place to still talk about whats going on.
Well, you can play your games offline or you can wipe the HDD, pull it out, and sell it on eBay since it's still good then sell all your 360's separately. Or you can put it into a different shell as sp00ge pointed out thought that's also against the rules so do that at your own risk I guess..

Yes they are and ironically it's against the TOS to modify the hard drive by taking it out of the shell and putting it into a new one. Everything is against MS's terms of service.

Well, you can play your games offline or you can wipe the HDD, pull it out, and sell it on eBay since it's still good then sell all your 360's separately. Or you can put it into a different shell as sp00ge pointed out thought that's also against the rules so do that at your own risk I guess..

Yes they are and ironically it's against the TOS to modify the hard drive by taking it out of the shell and putting it into a new one. Everything is against MS's terms of service.
Against the rules, yes, but I doubt it's detectable like using an unauthorized HDD. I used to have my old 250GB phat HDD swapped into my old slim, and never had an issue during the year or so it was like that.

The Free Xbox Marketplace Content topic has become rampant with banning discussion.  Because it has taken over the topic, i'm moving all of that discussion here to serve as a warning to others.

Another moderator may move this topic to a more appropriate section or delete it entirely, that is up to them.  But for now, i'm moving it all here.

Console banned. Account banned.

Don't really care about the console, but the account ban does sting because I have a lot of undownloaded digital content that is gone forever.

I have 167 games downloaded on my hard drive, booted up 2 of them and they both played fine. Luckily they're mostly all the ones I haven't played yet, so that is good. I'm a little bit scared to go over the list of my digital casualties though.

Only had about $13 on my account so not too big of a loss there. Had about a year of Gold left from the Bing 1-month codes that redeemed for a full year. So luckily I didn't have any money sunk in there.

Now is the decision to keep using my 360 as an offline console and play through my 360 backlog, or just clear everything out and stick with Sony for the future.
THAT is extremely rough. I feel for you. Though I have some questions.

1) Did you download any of the free games with your main account (account migration)?

2) Did you play any of the downloaded free games (they appeared in your achievement history)?

3) Did your account and console get banned at the same time or different times?

4) Did you get an email about the console ban, or just an email for the account ban?

5) Are you sure your account has been banned? When you log into xbox.com, do you see a message saying you have been banned?

6) Completely honestly, has your main account ever done anything (other than this free game incident) that is a bannable offense that could be the reason for the account ban?

The console ban is bad, but the account ban is worse in my opinion. I take great pride in my achievements in my game collection. It REALLY doesn't make sense to do account bans for accounts that have done nothing wrong. I understand banning the console, since they are going after people who took advantage of the glitches (extreme response, but I can understand it). I understand banning profiles used to circumvent the store fronts, since those profiles actually did the wrong deed. But main profile banning? That is senseless. First, it completely discourages the person from buying an XBox One, you can't carry your profile forward. Second, there are plenty of people who play in households with other people who play. If another person in your house fooled around and used the exploit, there is no reason for an unrelated profile to be account banned. This is not just over the top, it is irrational and mean.

I would highly suggest buying future consoles from Costco (and getting a membership there). They have lifetime return policies for video game systems. I have had two red-ringed xbox 360s which I returned for full refunds. When I rebought the console it had already decreased in price so I ended up getting a newer Xbox and cash back.

Against the rules, yes, but I doubt it's detectable like using an unauthorized HDD. I used to have my old 250GB phat HDD swapped into my old slim, and never had an issue during the year or so it was like that.
It's detectible if they have a HDD size that's not on the old one I suppose. I do agree that it's highly unlikely anything happens with it.

THAT is extremely rough. I feel for you. Though I have some questions.

1) Did you download any of the free games with your main account (account migration)?

2) Did you play any of the downloaded free games (they appeared in your achievement history)?

3) Did your account and console get banned at the same time or different times?

4) Did you get an email about the console ban, or just an email for the account ban?

5) Are you sure your account has been banned? When you log into xbox.com, do you see a message saying you have been banned?

6) Completely honestly, has your main account ever done anything (other than this free game incident) that is a bannable offense that could be the reason for the account ban?

The console ban is bad, but the account ban is worse in my opinion. I take great pride in my achievements in my game collection. It REALLY doesn't make sense to do account bans for accounts that have done nothing wrong. I understand banning the console, since they are going after people who took advantage of the glitches (extreme response, but I can understand it). I understand banning profiles used to circumvent the store fronts, since those profiles actually did the wrong deed. But main profile banning? That is senseless. First, it completely discourages the person from buying an XBox One, you can't carry your profile forward. Second, there are plenty of people who play in households with other people who play. If another person in your house fooled around and used the exploit, there is no reason for an unrelated profile to be account banned. This is not just over the top, it is irrational and mean.

I would highly suggest buying future consoles from Costco (and getting a membership there). They have lifetime return policies for video game systems. I have had two red-ringed xbox 360s which I returned for full refunds. When I rebought the console it had already decreased in price so I ended up getting a newer Xbox and cash back.
1) Never did any sort of account migration, except for on Assassin's Creed 3 from China many months ago. All the other games I downloaded using foreign accounts.

2) The only game I played was Injustice, and I played it for all of 3 minutes. Maybe that was my downfall and cause of my account ban, which is still kind of bullshit.

3) Noticed the console ban when I turned on my 360. Surfed my non-existent dashboard for a minute, then tried logging into xbox.com and noticed my account ban. So yeah, I noticed both bans within 3 minutes of each other.

4) Only got an email about the account ban. I think I got it right after I tried logging into xbox.com and was first made aware of my account ban.

5) Yes. Like I've mentioned, that's how I originally got the account ban. I don't have another Xbox to try and download my account to and check it out that way.

6) Nope. Nothing but these free foreign games. I've never pirated a game, no modded consoles, never even shared a game between multiple consoles. There's no way I can 100% prove it, but I know 100% that my ban is from the foreign marketplace free games.

EDIT: Here's the cute screen I get every time I log into xbox.com:

7wBxFKn.jpg

1) Never did any sort of account migration, except for on Assassin's Creed 3 from China many months ago. All the other games I downloaded using foreign accounts.

2) The only game I played was Injustice, and I played it for all of 3 minutes. Maybe that was my downfall and cause of my account ban, which is still kind of bullshit.

3) Noticed the console ban when I turned on my 360. Surfed my non-existent dashboard for a minute, then tried logging into xbox.com and noticed my account ban. So yeah, I noticed both bans within 3 minutes of each other.

4) Only got an email about the account ban. I think I got it right after I tried logging into xbox.com and was first made aware of my account ban.

5) Yes. Like I've mentioned, that's how I originally got the account ban. I don't have another Xbox to try and download my account to and check it out that way.

6) Nope. Nothing but these free foreign games. I've never pirated a game, no modded consoles, never even shared a game between multiple consoles. There's no way I can 100% prove it, but I know 100% that my ban is from the foreign marketplace free games.

EDIT: Here's the cute screen I get every time I log into xbox.com:

I believe you, don't worry. This isn't something I would expect most people to lie about, it is just too damn sad.

I am very well aware how indifferent the XBLPET people are and how canned and generic their responses are. However, considering the extent of your loss, I would HIGHLY suggest posting in the "My console was banned" forum. Not just "why was my console banned", but rather give a well thought out (grammatically correct) explanation of the entire situation. Explain precisely what you did, but ask for a specific reason why your main account itself was banned, not just an uninformative rehash of the TOS which have not been violated by this account. You haven't done anything against the TOS on that account. Yes, you broke the TOS on the dummy accounts, so the dummy account bans and even the console ban are one thing, but banning your main account is too extreme. However, the XBL COC and TOS don't have account cross-default clauses (to the best of my memory). Plead with them to actually look over your account history on your main account because there is no fraudulent activity there.

As I said, banning main accounts just goes too far. They need to consider that people many times live in a home where more than one person uses the xbox. Banning one person's account because of the actions on someone elses account is insane.

That's weird I played injustice and received over 400 cheevos, same with dark and about half a dozen other games I downloaded played them unlocked a bunch of avatar awards and only got a console ban

I am not banned (now), here are some steps that i tried to prevent it:
1. Unplug Xbox from LAN and delete everything from the Oman etc Account + profile

2. Migrate the Oman etc account to another region

3. Delete the account on account.live.com

I hope it helps

I am very well aware how indifferent the XBLPET people are and how canned and generic their responses are. However, considering the extent of your loss, I would HIGHLY suggest posting in the "My console was banned" forum. Not just "why was my console banned", but rather give a well thought out (grammatically correct) explanation of the entire situation. Explain precisely what you did, but ask for a specific reason why your main account itself was banned, not just an uninformative rehash of the TOS which have not been violated by this account. You haven't done anything against the TOS on that account. Yes, you broke the TOS on the dummy accounts, so the dummy account bans and even the console ban are one thing, but banning your main account is too extreme. However, the XBL COC and TOS don't have account cross-default clauses (to the best of my memory). Plead with them to actually look over your account history on your main account because there is no fraudulent activity there.

As I said, banning main accounts just goes too far. They need to consider that people many times live in a home where more than one person uses the xbox. Banning one person's account because of the actions on someone elses account is insane.
i agree it's bullshit but IMO it's pretty futile to say anything, i'm not even going to waste my time personally. i mean we all probably should but it's not gonna do shit, has anyone ever gotten unbanned just by saying 'u lost a xb1 preorder look at my huge list of games wtf unb7 me'? i doubt it, at this point they don't give a fuck so all you can really do is mod your console and tell them with your future money to suck it. all you will ever hear is 'i don't have the authority to do that' or 'you broke the rules sorry'. i'd love to think otherwise but i've never seen an example to make me not think this.

Who knows. One thing is for sure is that there nabbing people left and right. Like Spooge for example, I don't understand why some get console banned and why some get both there profile and console banned!!
I am guessing (hoping) that the profile bans are only for profiles that have the exploited games in their achievment history. So if you didn't play any of the games, or deleted the game history since you had no achievements then "no harm no foul" for those accounts.

I am guessing (hoping) that the profile bans are only for profiles that have the exploited games in their achievment history. So if you didn't play any of the games, or deleted the game history since you had no achievements then "no harm no foul" for those accounts.
That's not the case.

ive played Injustice and Rayman and my account hasnt been banned only my console.

Luckily my main account (Gold until next June, 2400MSP, +100k GS ands lots of saves) wasn't banned, just the console. I'm thinking of buying a new arcade with HDMI and to use the usb stick and HDD from the banned one, will I have any problem with that ? Do I have to delete Rayman and the free stuff before connecting the new console ?

Btw all the free games I got(except AC3), I shared with a friend. He used the license transfer to all the free stuff so he could play on his account. He got no ban whatsoever. Is it safe to say that if you transferred the license of all the stuff, you would'nt get banned ?
What are the chances that people will get an account ban after getting a console ban? It seems that everyone who has gotten multiple bans has gotten them all at the same time, so if you haven't gotten an account ban then there seems to be good hope that you won't get one.

I believe you, don't worry. This isn't something I would expect most people to lie about, it is just too damn sad.

I actually submitted a post similar to that even before you posted. I mentioned that my console was banned, I know why it was banned, but why was my account banned. Compared to all the other posters who have just had console bans, why was mine also applied to my account? So we'll see what they say, though I hold out little hope.

I actually submitted a post similar to that even before you posted. I mentioned that my console was banned, I know why it was banned, but why was my account banned. Compared to all the other posters who have just had console bans, why was mine also applied to my account? So we'll see what they say, though I hold out little hope.
How exactly are they picking the people who should be banned?

i have a copy of Injustice here at the house and i downloaded it with the glitch. i got almost all of the games as well and so far no bans on my GT or Console. i only used one account and i used a legit e-mail to get the games.

That's not the case.
Has someone had their main account banned who has not played the free games on that account? I haven't seen a report of that yet. But if people are getting account banned without playing the games, then I would guess it is just a matter of random luck as to which agent is doing the banning and stricter agents will ban both. Which would again imply, once you have gotten bans, you probably won't get more bans so if you have a console ban and no account ban, then perhaps you got a "nice" agent and won't get an account ban.

bread's done
Back