Xbox dirty disc/unreadable errors..

outlawz42

CAGiversary!
I did a search for a topic like this and I couldn't find any...I'm very interested in to why this happens and how to fix it..I got my xbox maybe 2 years ago...didn't really touch it until about 6 months ago when i got hooked on my xbox..I keep it in good condition...dust it...it has plenty of breathing room...this happens frequently i have heard..is it just something with the xbox itself?

Yea you prolly have a thompson dvd drive which is terrible. I say trade it in and get a brand new xbox. Thats what I had to do and now my new one plays perfect.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yea you prolly have a thompson dvd drive which is terrible. I say trade it in and get a brand new xbox. Thats what I had to do and now my new one plays perfect.[/quote]

Trade it in for the credit and get a new one? or trade it in somewhere for a new xbox?

Check out llamma.com if you want to repair instead of replacing it. They have pretty good tutorials and sell replacement parts and mods.

I'm holding out for a free Thompson drive fix from M$ like Sony offers for their PS2 disc read errors. I may be waiting a long time though. . . :(

I have a Thomson drive and had the same problems. I opened my XBOX and cleaned the lens several times over the course of about a week and now I have no problems. I used alcohol and a q-tip.

[quote name='onikage']I have a Thomson drive and had the same problems. I opened my XBOX and cleaned the lens several times over the course of about a week and now I have no problems. I used alcohol and a q-tip.[/quote]

Hit and Miss there. I've doen the same thing but it only helped mine for weeks at a time and it always screwed with me on Xbox live on Halo2 saying I fail to load maps. You can alos buy a replacment DVD drive for like 70.00.

I mean its still working...it freezed up on me sometimes during kotor2...and mercenaries wasn't loading at all a couple times..I'm out of warranty is it worth it to do it myself?

[quote name='onikage']I have a Thomson drive and had the same problems. I opened my XBOX and cleaned the lens several times over the course of about a week and now I have no problems. I used alcohol and a q-tip.[/quote]

I'm trying to do the same thing but I'm having trouble getting to the final 2 torx-10 screws that are located at the front of the drive. They looked kinda stripped to me or maybe I'm just not placing the head on there flush -- anyways, I put everything back together minus the screws. I'll get back to it later.

bread's done
Back