Xbox Live Account Hacked Thread and Guide

Well, They got me...

They used my CC to buy $70 worth of points, while I was looking at the FIFA Achievements on my xbox, THEY WERE STILL fuckEN STEALING FROM ME! I was getting logged off from live because my "Gamertag is logged in on another console" I log back in and my balance of 2700 points went down to 832 in under 5 minutes from learning about the hack.

I did all that was mentioned and XBOX support said they understand the situation and that everything should be sorted out within 7 days. I'm relieved I can get my money back but this is just crazy

Has there been any response from EA or the makers of FIFA regarding these hacks?

Sorry to hear that Joe! At least you didn't get migrated to another country and they've sped up resolve time on your type of cases to a week or less.

It doesn't appear that there were any compromised accounts from MS or EA, and statements from MS and EA have denied being hacked etc. The Fifa thing is just because the DLC can be traded/sold, so hackers are stealing accounts to buy that stuff and sell the content to others to get cash.

The best explanation I've seen for how it's been happening is that they find peoples Windows Live IDs, and then just run scripts to brute force the passwords as their was a way they could try and unlimited number of times without getting locked out.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Also, remove your Gamertag information off of this site. It's definitely being targeted.?[/QUOTE]

Also GT information is irrelevant, since you need an email to login, you can't login with a gamertag

[quote name='dmaul1114'] I'll also be sure to never log in to Xbox.com as there's some speculation that Windows Live IDs may have been capture through a security flaw on that site.[/QUOTE]

Link? Where'd you read that? I use xbox.com a lot. I've actually been checking it daily at work to make sure everything is all good.

[quote name='MrPiggles']Also GT information is irrelevant, since you need an email to login, you can't login with a gamertag[/QUOTE]

No but it gives a hacker a starting point. I found your email address within about a minute on Google using your gamertag. There's no guarantee that's your Windows ID, but I'm sure someone more determined could find that info(assuming your Live ID is an email you've used anywhere on the net).

I haven't tallied up this thread(or cross checked names), but I counted 14 CAGs in the previous thread that were victims. There's no reason not to take some precaution. What does keeping your GT in your profile do for you anyway? If you want to buddy up with a CAG, trade, etc. you can PM each other. At least that's what I would do until MS solves this problem.

It was a while back that I read that, so I don't recall where it was. I read something else that challenged it though.

It seems more likely that it's just people getting Windows Live IDs and brute forcing the passwords through the flaw that allows for unlimited failed attempts. I read that they had fixed that flaw, but there are still people getting hacked daily so who knows?

Out of curiosity, which link are you talking about. I tried googling my gamertag by itself, and none of the links seemed to have my email address, and then tried googling my gamertag plus email address, and only found two results, which I promptly deleted, but were nowhere near the first 20 pages of the first search

It was a yahoo email it linked me to or I assume its you or another person called (your xbox gametag) on yahoo help and it had your email in your profile

let me delete your account name if you do remove your gamertag

Yeah, my live account is a gmail account that's name is unrelated to either my gamertag or CAG name. I have a buncho email addresses I sprinkle here and there. I guess the lesson here is if you're gonna post your gamertag, make sure you're email address isn't associated with it anywhere.

Before anything even happens I'd like to remove my card. I pay with prepaid cards and have my CC on as back up ... will not let me remove the CC. Is there a way to do so without calling?

[quote name='strikeratt']Before anything even happens I'd like to remove my card. I pay with prepaid cards and have my CC on as back up ... will not let me remove the CC. Is there a way to do so without calling?[/QUOTE]
Yeah look for their chat on the xbox forums site

I dont know if its really related, but I received alot of strange random invites while playing MW3 with friends the night before I got hacked, I play COD all the time and never got so many random invites like I did.

*grasping at straws*

[quote name='MrPiggles']Yeah, my live account is a gmail account that's name is unrelated to either my gamertag or CAG name. I have a buncho email addresses I sprinkle here and there. I guess the lesson here is if you're gonna post your gamertag, make sure you're email address isn't associated with it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Or even better, make a new e-mail for your live account that you use for nothing else and never give out. They can't brute force passwords if they don't have the e-mail, so I'll definitely be doing that if I ever get my damn account back...

Did an updated tally. 18 CAGs hit so far. (for shits and giggles I'm keeping a list in my desk at work for easy reference).

That's far too many to be a coincidence, IMO. If MS really "beefed up" then hopefully we won't hear of any more CAGs getting hit.

Hard to believe they really beefed it up when Joe just got hit yesterday and every day there are a few people posting on the Xbox support forums about new hackings.

One poor sap even got hacked a second time a couple of days after finally getting his account back.

[quote name='Corvin']Did an updated tally. 18 CAGs hit so far. (for shits and giggles I'm keeping a list in my desk at work for easy reference).

That's far too many to be a coincidence, IMO. If MS really "beefed up" then hopefully we won't hear of any more CAGs getting hit.[/QUOTE]
That's 18 people who have come out and admitted it. Some may just be hiding their hacked accounts in shame

I'm not ashamed, hell I'm pissed! Just got "hacked" a second time today! Here are some of my steps:

1: Called Microsoft and they locked my account and placed it under investigation
2: I changed my password with uppercase and numbers
3: I left my paypal and credit card on my xbox live account so they can reimburse my account.
4: JUST HACKED AGAIN!!!!

[quote name='GUNNM']That's 18 people who have come out and admitted it. Some may just be hiding their hacked accounts in shame[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shadylane']I'm not ashamed, hell I'm pissed! Just got "hacked" a second time today! Here are some of my steps:

1: Called Microsoft and they locked my account and placed it under investigation
3: I left my paypal and credit card on my xbox live account so they can reimburse my account.
4: JUST HACKED AGAIN!!!![/QUOTE]
wow shitty man

Quick update on my situation. But Microsoft is at least getting better at fixing the situation. I was hacked Saturday morning and I already have back access to my account.

Microsoft refunded all charges and reimbursed me with 2 months of Live and 1200 points.

[quote name='shadylane']I'm not ashamed, hell I'm pissed! Just got "hacked" a second time today! Here are some of my steps:

4: JUST HACKED AGAIN!!!![/QUOTE]

That really sucks!

If I get hacked a second time after getting my account back and changing the e-mail and password etc., I think I'd just say fuck it and sell my 360 and get a PS3.

Just got a call from a guy at MS corporate office...presumably a result of the BBB complain I filed the end of December.

He's contacting the investigations team to see what's going on since I've been waiting for 3 months. He said it looked like my case hadn't been touched in awhile and apologized for that.

Stated the typical response that the foreign migrations take some time. He even said sometimes they can't get these foreign migrated accounts back to the user. But said I'd probably get mine back since I explained that the hacker only had it for a few minutes as I was home when the e-mail saying my account had been migrated popped up and got the password changed and the account locked down right away. So the hacker did nothing but spend some points and change my account region, my gamertag wasn't recovered to his console etc.

Anyway, he said he'd call again as soon as he gets an update from the investigation team, and that they have hired more people to work on these cases (hence the faster turn around times some of the recently hacked people have gotten), so hopefully I get my account back soon.

Edit: Also just got another automated e-mail with a free month code for the delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw that my account got hacked. Spend 5,160 points on FIFA 12 packs. Talked to a support guy and he gave me a number to call. Guess I will call that in the morning.

Well after sorting through the Fifa thread, which I missed in my initial count, we now have 32 CAGs (33 if you count Shady Lane twice) spread across three threads.

List of CAGs (some leet speak & symbols removed for easier typing)
afflicted
betobuster
bfauble83
bob793
braves22
ced
dmaul
DumpleStiltskin
faria
hershizzle
Jason Terminator
Javery
Joe2187
Kerig
kinder keeper
menikmati
Mike O Hara
MrRight4you4now
mynameis
not2worried
oasisboy
phantomfriar
RedRazorBack
sath666
schuerm26
Shady Lane
Shifty Effect
tbasset
the Ebbtide
tholly
utopianmachine
Viva Las Vegas

Some of my friends on my facebook, whom are well-established adults and are IT professionals amongst having other credentials have been hacked (aka these guys know how to keep an account secure). In addition there are other industry professionals whom have been hacked as well. Some of the people I know that have been hacked are people I would have never even thought would get hacked.

Just got off the phone with Xbox. The guy knew about the FIFA hack and just asked for my info. Said my account would be suspended for 4-7 days while they look into it and I should have all my points put back into my account.

I already heard back from Microsoft. They said I had to download my profile again and they sent me a 25 digit code to use to get all my missing Microsoft points back. 13 hours is all it took to hear back from them.

At least they've gotten fast on the simple hackings. There was never any reason those should take more than a day or two.

Now if they'd just do something to speed up the foreign migration cases....

This just happened to me in a relatively short period. Between 4am - 730am PST today someone hacked my account (I have hotmail) bought FIFA roster crap and played FIFA 12 using my account. I noticed it so quick because my smarthphone logs into hotmail to check mail and was unable to (invalid password). I got to a computer and went thru the recovery password shtick and then called MS to report my missing points. It's still being escalated. What I'm most pissed about is when this story hit last week, hotmail had just forced me to change my password (I have the 72 day expiratory thing checked) so this person(s) managed to snag a brand new password (and no it was not simple) The agent at MS was exasperated when I mentioned that it was FIFA. Obviously they have been getting a lot of calls about this. If it is brute force because xboxlive.com does not block repeated password attempts, is there anything I as a user can do to prevent a comprise happening again in the future?

[quote name='McToots']This just happened to me in a relatively short period. Between 4am - 730am PST today someone hacked my account (I have hotmail) bought FIFA roster crap and played FIFA 12 using my account. I noticed it so quick because my smarthphone logs into hotmail to check mail and was unable to (invalid password). I got to a computer and went thru the recovery password shtick and then called MS to report my missing points. It's still being escalated. What I'm most pissed about is when this story hit last week, hotmail had just forced me to change my password (I have the 72 day expiratory thing checked) so this person(s) managed to snag a brand new password (and no it was not simple) The agent at MS was exasperated when I mentioned that it was FIFA. Obviously they have been getting a lot of calls about this. If it is brute force because xboxlive.com does not block repeated password attempts, is there anything I as a user can do to prevent a comprise happening again in the future?[/QUOTE]
The guy I talked to last night seemed fed up with the FIFA issue too. He was nice about it but I could tell he was tired of hearing it. I think now on your console you can have a code to input through your controller buttons that is extra protection if someone tries to log into your account.

Got an e-mail from MS to my Live account in Russian. Google translated it and it was confirmation of my account being changed to the US. So looks like they're finally working on it, and hopefully get my account back soon.

Coincidentally got another e-mail in Russian earlier today, and was hoping it was the above (as I knew that was a step from reading about other's experiences), but it was just a note about my Gold subscription expiring today. That works out well as I won't have any issues getting my credit card off the account since it will be a silver account when I get it back hopefully, and I can remove the card and enter a 12 month code I already have.

I just got hacked as well. They spent all my points on Gold Packs or something. I went through all the steps in the first post. I'm most worried about my main hotmail account being the one linked to my xbox live account, but I was able to change my password so I hope I'm safe. It wouldn't let me remove my credit card, so I just changed the info to nonsense and set the expiration date to Feb.

That should be fine. My main hotmail is what I have attached as well. I changed the password to it right away and never had any issues with it (it doesn't get locked when MS locks your account during investigation).

UPDATE***

BACKSTORY: I mentioned before that my account was hacked twice! Once on the 13th and another one on the 17. I followed all the steps here in this forum and Microsoft's email to secure my account. They assured me that my account was secure and that my profile has been removed from all Xbox 360's other than mine. They were wrong and I fell for it twice!

Jan 27th: I'm on the phone with them today about getting all my refunds that I am owed. Here is the breakdown

First Hack:
242.30 - Total
191.84 - Credit Card
50.46 - Paypal
They refunded only 181.75 to my credit card and still haven't refunded my 50.46. They said that Paypal refuses to take the refund!

Second Hack:
75.74 - Paypal

So here are some of my issues:
1. Called Paypal and they said that they haven't received any refunds in their systems. (WTF MSFT!?!?!)
2. From my first hack, I still haven't received 50.46 to my paypal account.
3. From my second hack, I still haven't received 75.74 to my paypal account.
4. They miscalculated my credit card refund which was suppose to be 191.84 but only refunded 181.75 so I'm short 10.19

They told me that I need to go to my financial institution to get the 10.19 back because that was all tax that was charged and I'm held responsible for it

Finally got the e-mails saying my account was back etc. Was able to change password and download my profile etc.

But my account is banned from live for a code of conduct violation. Guess the hacker did something that got it banned. So now I have to deal with that before I can use it. Just absurd. You think the investigation's team would catch stuff like that and know any bannings that occurred after the account was reported stolen were due to the hackers. :bomb:

Edit: Called phone support and they just told me to post about it on the Suspensions forum on the Xbox support forums as it's the only way to contact them. I'd already done that last night as I was pretty sure that was the only way to deal with it from reading other's experiences. So just have to wait for them to get around to it. Forum says it takes up to 24 hours for them to respond to posts (they're all screened by staff rather than just posting). But there haven't been any threads/comments posted from staff since 2:30am last night, so I'm not sure if they work weekends or not.

Also, for anyone else who gets migrated, recovering my profile did wipe out any record of games I'd played offline since having the account locked.

So I need to redo the end of Dragon Age 2, the MW3 campaign and the first couple levels of FEAR 3 that I played before finding out I'd probably lose the saves and achievements.

For DA2 it just doesn't show the last few achievements (I think anyway, need to double check more thoroughly) and MW3 and FEAR3 don't even show up as in my games played list at all.

So if your account is migrated to another country, don't play off line on it while under investigation. Migrations shouldn't happen to anyone else though as MS totally took away the ability to migrate accounts to other countries a while back in response to the hackings.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Also, for anyone else who gets migrated, recovering my profile did wipe out any record of games I'd played offline since having the account locked.

So I need to redo the end of Dragon Age 2, the MW3 campaign and the first couple levels of FEAR 3 that I played before finding out I'd probably lose the saves and achievements.

For DA2 it just doesn't show the last few achievements (I think anyway, need to double check more thoroughly) and MW3 and FEAR3 don't even show up as in my games played list at all.

So if your account is migrated to another country, don't play off line on it while under investigation. Migrations shouldn't happen to anyone else though as MS totally took away the ability to migrate accounts to other countries a while back in response to the hackings.[/QUOTE]

And I've learned this the hard way, your save games recognize that you've completed the achievements, so if you do them again, they won't credit, so the only way to get the achievements would be to use a new save

Oh well, I'll try a new save for MW3 and Fear 3 since they don't show up at all in my games played list. If the achievements don't pop, I won't bother replaying them.

DA2 I'd just have to live without any achievements I missed since they'd be end game ones. I'll take a look at the achievement list and see if I can load an old save to get them (if I have one). If not, no biggie as I'm not that big on achievements. Just want to make sure I have access to my completed game save so that it's available to be imported into DA3 if that's an option.

Go a frustrating e-mail form response to my post on the Xbox forums trying to get the enforcement team to unban my account as I was told to do by phone support. Moderator just deleted it (rather than publicly posting it in the forum) and e-mailed a the response.

If you feel this occurred while your account was compromised and not in your possession, you may open an 'Unauthorized Access' case by contacting your local Xbox support number. While we work directly with Support during their investigation, please note that they will make all further contact with you regarding the details and results of their proceedings. We will be unable to assist you in this process. Be aware that this process may lock your account out for several days, during which time you will be unable to access Xbox LIVE. Additionally, until such time as the Unauthorized Access claim is substantiated, the suspension of the account will stand as issued.

Made another post explaining the situation in a bit more detail, including the case number of the investigation etc., in hopes of getting the dumbasses to realize the claim has already been substantiated and and whatever the violation was it was done during the 3 months I didn't have access to my account.

This has just been a customer service nightmare. If I didn't care so much about importing my characters into ME3 I'd buy a fucking PS3 today and sell the Xbox!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Go a frustrating e-mail form response to my post on the Xbox forums trying to get the enforcement team to unban my account as I was told to do by phone support. Moderator just deleted it (rather than publicly posting it in the forum) and e-mailed a the response.

Made another post explaining the situation in a bit more detail, including the case number of the investigation etc., in hopes of getting the dumbasses to realize the claim has already been unsubstantiated and and whatever the violation was it was done during the 3 months I didn't have access to my account.

This has just been a customer service nightmare. If I didn't care so much about importing my characters into ME3 I'd buy a fucking PS3 today and sell the Xbox![/QUOTE]
Damn I feel bad for you. Since october right?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Go a frustrating e-mail form response to my post on the Xbox forums trying to get the enforcement team to unban my account as I was told to do by phone support. Moderator just deleted it (rather than publicly posting it in the forum) and e-mailed a the response.

Made another post explaining the situation in a bit more detail, including the case number of the investigation etc., in hopes of getting the dumbasses to realize the claim has already been substantiated and and whatever the violation was it was done during the 3 months I didn't have access to my account.

This has just been a customer service nightmare. If I didn't care so much about importing my characters into ME3 I'd buy a fucking PS3 today and sell the Xbox![/QUOTE]

Did you really expect to get help on that forum? Last time I sifted through it, it was only there to name and shame everyone who got banned. All those hacks and admittedly false bans by MS didn't change anything in regards to the untouchable attitude the XBLPET displays there.

Of course I didn't expect to get any help. That's just what phone support told me to do. I haven't gotten any help from any of MS's terrible customer support over the past 3 months. Nothing got done until I filed a BBB complaint and got a call from a person from the MS corporate office. I'm just going to call him again tomorrow when he's back in and see if he can get these idiots to take care of this.

How they investigate a hacked account for 3 months and then give it back with a ban left on it for something the hacked did is beyond me.

It's absurd how innefficient Xbox customer support is. The phone support can't contact the investigations team nor the enforcement team that deals with bannings. And apparently the investigations team and enforcement team don't work directly together either. Just ridiculous.

I have not gotten any response to my 2nd post on the support forum, nor the PM's to the XBLPET members so I just called up phone support again.

Had to file another Unauthorized Access claim and had them write up all the details that the investigation had been completed (made sure he put in the case number for that) but the account was returned with a ban on it for something the hacker did, so hopefully they take care of it quickly. He said it should be about 3 days as they've gotten faster on these, and this should be a quick resolution since the refund etc. is taken care of and it just needs unbanned.

Not holding my breath though.

Spoke to the exceptions analyst from MS corporate. He said what had happened is the enforcement team investigation determined the behavior that got my account banned happened before the account was reported as compromised on Oct 25th.

The banned offense was for trying to steal other accounts! So obviously the hacker had my account stole before I was aware of it being stolen on the 25th (that's when it got migrated to Russia and I got an automated e-mail confirming the region change) and was using it to try to steal other accounts.

Just baffling that wasn't obvious to the investigation team. The account was under control of an account thief, and they're obviously using stolen accounts to steal more accounts to cover their tracks. And this guy who hacked mine apparently did this before my account got migrated Russia and I reported the hacking. I'd have been unaware of anything prior to that e-mail popping up as I wasn't gaming a lot in the fall before the hacking as I was swamped with work--so they think it was still under my control.

Anyway, the rep apologized, said he believes me and is contacting the investigations team to give them all this info, vouch for me and ask them to do a much more thorough investigation. But he said he can't promise me anything and there's a chance it could stay banned. But he'd do his best to get them to take care of it.

This has just been an unbelievably bad customer service experience. At every turn things just get worse. If it weren't for wanting to import my saves into Mass Effect 3 I'd be done with Xbox. If the account stays banned I am done with them.

I don't blame you that's terrible experience right there. I would write a e-mail/letter to someone higher up in MS if things don't get resolved. Try to be civil in your letter and if things don't go forward try to get your story published by news websites to get the word out.

I know MS has done well with the RROD after so many years, but this is even more unacceptable imho because It's been going on since August or later and MS hasn't seemed to cover their tracks at all yet. For a billion dollar corporation that's unacceptable imho.

[quote name='McToots']This just happened to me in a relatively short period. Between 4am - 730am PST today someone hacked my account (I have hotmail) bought FIFA roster crap and played FIFA 12 using my account. I noticed it so quick because my smarthphone logs into hotmail to check mail and was unable to (invalid password). I got to a computer and went thru the recovery password shtick and then called MS to report my missing points. It's still being escalated. What I'm most pissed about is when this story hit last week, hotmail had just forced me to change my password (I have the 72 day expiratory thing checked) so this person(s) managed to snag a brand new password (and no it was not simple) The agent at MS was exasperated when I mentioned that it was FIFA. Obviously they have been getting a lot of calls about this. If it is brute force because xboxlive.com does not block repeated password attempts, is there anything I as a user can do to prevent a comprise happening again in the future?[/QUOTE]

UPDATE:
I received an email this morning from Microsoft with redemption codes for the points I lost plus 1 month of live. Something obviously is amiss that this keeps happening to people and being used for the same thing (FIFA Crap) In the end though, I was satisfied with the speedy response from MS.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I don't blame you that's terrible experience right there. I would write a e-mail/letter to someone higher up in MS if things don't get resolved. Try to be civil in your letter and if things don't go forward try to get your story published by news websites to get the word out.

I know MS has done well with the RROD after so many years, but this is even more unacceptable imho because It's been going on since August or later and MS hasn't seemed to cover their tracks at all yet. For a billion dollar corporation that's unacceptable imho.[/QUOTE]

As noted, I filed a BBB complaint and that's put me in touch with an exceptions analyst from the MS corporate office. He got the account migrated back and all that jazz, so now just have to see if he can get the enforcement team to remove the ban.

Other than that nothing to do. Though I will pass my story onto some of the gaming news sites that have done stories about these hackings if it isn't resolved. I won't bother with wasting my time with MS. If this guy doesn't get the account fixed, MS will never get a cent of my money again.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
This has just been an unbelievably bad customer service experience. At every turn things just get worse. If it weren't for wanting to import my saves into Mass Effect 3 I'd be done with Xbox. If the account stays banned I am done with them.[/QUOTE]
fuck, dude. This is why I keep my main profile offline. Still, I might be safe from hacks but a corrupted profile (which seems to happen all too easily) could bork all my saves.

Meanwhile, I have saves on a PS2 memory card going back almost a decade.

Yeah, it was very bad decision for them to tie game saves to gametags that can be hacked/stolen, banned etc.

Just overall, the move to consoles being so online-driven has been largely a negative for people like me who haven't really gotten into online gaming much. Worry about hacks, games rushed out with bugs as they can be patched later etc. etc.

Heard back from the corporate rep again.

The enforcement team got back to him, and they are keeping the ban! They didn't give him any details on why, and he said there's not much he can do as he explained the situation to them and asked them to look into it again. And that's all he can do as they keep the enforcement team isolated from everyone else, and they never give even other units at MS much detail on their decisions. Only other thing he's going to do is see if he could get the 1910 points on my banned account transferred to my other tag--but I doubt that will happen since I know it's policy that any remaining points on a banned account are foreited.

He encouraged me to take any other recourse I can in terms of filing complaints if I feel wronged, and said he feels terrible about it because he believes me. But apparently the enforcement team won't listen to reason and just see that the account was reported compromised on October 25h, and the violations happened prior to that.

As I said yesterday, there's no record of suspicious activity before the account migration happened since these people are stealing windows live IDs and stealing or brute forcing the password so they have no way of knowing it wasn't me using the account at any date prior to the day the hacker migrated it to Russia and I got the e-mail and called in and reported it.

I'm just absolutely furious over this whole ordeal. I'm damn tempted to just go ditch all my 360 stuff at Gamestop (don't have the patience to bother trying to sell it on Craigslist etc.) and pick up a PS3 tonight. Logistically it makes more sense to play Skyrim and Arkham City on another Gamertag. But hell, I could get 1000 points ($50 worth) in Goozex Instant trades for those and use that on PS3 games. Other hesitation is that Skyrim apparently sucks on PS3, but I really don't have time for that game right now anyway.

So I just need to decide what to do on that front, and decide if I want to bother taking any other recourse. I probably won't bother with another BBB complaint as it wouldn't do any good. And at this point I don't even want the damn account back as I don't want to do any future business with MS, period. But I'll probably forward my experience on to a gaming site. Probably Giantbomb as MSUHitman on here had suggested that as they've ran some stories about MS's poor response to this rash of hackings.

bread's done
Back