Xbox Live Account Hacked Thread and Guide

Yeah it's absolutely ridiculous. I did end up ditching the 360 last night and getting a PS3. Just no way I can enjoy gaming on the 360 after that experience.

Didn't want to hassle with selling the console so I just took the loss and traded it in at Gamestop--at least they have a promo for an extra $40 on 360 console trade ins now to soften the blow so.

Already got 10 of my 360 games matched up and ready to send off on Goozex, so I'll have a ton of points to use to get PS3 games I missed out on, as well as some movies.

Anyway, I posted a blog here on CAG about my experience. Nothing I haven't posted in this thread or others in this forum, but it's the full story in one place.

Feel free to link to it on other forums or send it to blog sites you read etc. Maybe if it gets some publicity MS will have to change their practice and none of you guys, or any other gamers, get put through the ringer like I did!

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23483

Yeah, I would have done what you did, I was tempted to ditch my XBox after finding out about these hackings but I just bought the thing and invested a ton of money in games I did not play this gen so that would not make much sense for me to do, and the PSN was hacked too so no one is safe and its not like it couldn't happen again. It actually made me regret purchasing an xbox for a bit and that I probably should have gotten the PS3.

You could also post your story to the consumerist, they would probably run that story but considering the time you already put into the account trying to get it back, aka time that you could have been gaming you probably don't want to put any more time into trying to figure out how to get that account unbanned.

Oh, I'm sending my story out there. Even if I don't really need the account back now, I want MS to get the negative PR they deserve for this shit.

Already got a call from a news editor with Joystiq in response to my story I sent him. He asked for permission to forward it on to the people at MS he's been talking to, to see if that helps get it resolved, and to keep him updated on their response as his site is still working on following this hacking story.

Congrats, sounds like you got a resolution via kotaku, sad that you had to go through all this though and 3 months away from your games instead of just getting a resolution from them right away which is what should have really happened.

The problem is that innocent people DO get banned and MS doesn't seem to be willing to let anyone get un-banned, even if they are truly innocent, even though we know an account can definitely be unbanned.

The bad thing about this is you lose access to all your saves, DLC and money that may have been spent on Xbox Live membership, and your account is basically held hostage by its gamertag and the game saves that are tied to it. This means you can't even finish a game you were playing until you get your gametag back. Hands down the worst decision MS ever made, tying game saves to the gamertag.

Yeah, it's a bunch of crap the way they can ban accounts.

What makes me happiest about this is that in that Kotaku write up Microsoft admitted fault and said they were changing part of their investigation practices so the same mistake that led to my banning doesn't happen again.

And it's not just Kotaku that got it resolved, but also a lot of CAGs who bombarded gaming sites and Xbox support staff Twitter feeds after reading my blog I posted on CAG earlier today. As well as the editor of Joystiq who also contacted MS on my behalf.

For those that missed my blogs here are links. The 1st just outlines everything I've posted in here and other threads about the hackings in other threads in the 360 forum. The second outlines MS's response after the uproar that sprung from that belong, and their explanation of what happened in my case.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23488

Thanks for this guide. My brothers account got hacked today, and he lost 2040 points with FIFA 12 achievement. Contacted the support for him, hopefully it get resolved soon.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it's a bunch of crap the way they can ban accounts.

What makes me happiest about this is that in that Kotaku write up Microsoft admitted fault and said they were changing part of their investigation practices so the same mistake that led to my banning doesn't happen again.

And it's not just Kotaku that got it resolved, but also a lot of CAGs who bombarded gaming sites and Xbox support staff Twitter feeds after reading my blog I posted on CAG earlier today. As well as the editor of Joystiq who also contacted MS on my behalf.

For those that missed my blogs here are links. The 1st just outlines everything I've posted in here and other threads about the hackings in other threads in the 360 forum. The second outlines MS's response after the uproar that sprung from that belong, and their explanation of what happened in my case.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23488[/QUOTE]

Happy to see you got everything resolved! Hopefully Microsoft will look further into all the BS that is going on, on their service.

ah boy I think my friend just got hacked hes online with FIFA and I keep refreshing his profile and sure enough his first achievement is buying that online pack thing D=

I've also got a similar story about being hacked. Mine wasn't Fifa, though. I'm not trying to create a big deal, but just share my experience. My account got hacked and they purchased mass effect 2 for download. I went through the process of getting my points back and they refunded my points after about a month and also gave me a free month of live. That was all fine, but in the email they told me that they didn't find anything to suggest I had been hacked. Given that, why was I refunded? Also, I just spoke to a rep about getting the Mortal Kombat game on sale that was on sale the week my account was hacked. I was assured the day it was hacked and after the investigation that it could be done, then I was just told they can't do that and to just wait on it to go back on sale...

I got my account hacked. All my points taken and the same FIFA achievement story. I contacted Xbox support, luckily I got someone from the US. I got my points and my account back in a week or less. I did, however, call one time to make sure they were starting the "investigation".

Although it was a quick turn around for me, and I'm pleased about it, I am not pleased about my account being hacked. I know for a fact I haven't signed on to other computers or replied to phishing scams, etc. Also lucky that I didn't have a Credit Card on my account.

That's my story, now back to my xbox games.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']I got my account hacked. All my points taken and the same FIFA achievement story. I contacted Xbox support, luckily I got someone from the US. I got my points and my account back in a week or less. I did, however, call one time to make sure they were starting the "investigation".

Although it was a quick turn around for me, and I'm pleased about it, I am not pleased about my account being hacked. I know for a fact I haven't signed on to other computers or replied to phishing scams, etc. Also lucky that I didn't have a Credit Card on my account.

That's my story, now back to my xbox games.[/QUOTE]

I just signed up to get the ME3 demo and learned the same fate, with 20 whole points left. Amazing how easily they were able to do this, considering it was after the shitstorm with PSN.

I won't have the time to call until late next week... hopefully they can still help me.

Way to blow MS.:roll:

I just got hacked for a 2nd time within a few weeks. Are you fucking kidding me???

Theres a hole in the system that needs to be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
They got my account fixed, took roughly a week and all I got was 20 whole bonus points! They just gave me a code to get 1600 points, plus the 20 points the hackers left me with... the DLC the hackers bought have been cleared out too.:roll:

At least Sony gave me 4 games and a month of PSN+.:whistle2:/

If you want to avoid getting hacked, make sure you have a password of at least 8 characters, consisting of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and non alphanumeric characters (!;,.?).

[quote name='MrPiggles']If you want to avoid getting hacked, make sure you have a password of at least 8 characters, consisting of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and non alphanumeric characters (!;,.?).[/QUOTE]

This has been proven to be the least effect password to use despite years of brainwashing people into believing it.

[quote name='Corvin']This has been proven to be the least effect password to use despite years of brainwashing people into believing it.[/QUOTE]

Would do you mean? Could you provide a source/links?

From what I've read (and was told by security people) the best passwords now include a combo of upper and lowercase letters and numbers and symbols, but also include at least one short word.

Reason being the brute force cracking programs can keep trying random combos of letters and numbers, but having a short, real word in the mix makes it harder as they're build around cracking random strings.

Questions guys,

I'm trying to secure my account by adding a few things:

I added HTTPS on my hotmail account
I created a new live account with my gmail (not sure if I set this up correctly)
created a passcode on my xbox live console
removed all forms of payment
Updated password with upper and lowercase

Should I be doing anything else?

I also have a question about using your gmail as you're login. I was told by microsoft to go into live.com and create a new windows live ID with my gmail account and then change it on the console. Is this correct?

[quote name='shadylane']Questions guys,

I'm trying to secure my account by adding a few things:

I added HTTPS on my hotmail account
I created a new live account with my gmail (not sure if I set this up correctly)
created a passcode on my xbox live console
removed all forms of payment
Updated password with upper and lowercase

Should I be doing anything else?

I also have a question about using your gmail as you're login. I was told by microsoft to go into live.com and create a new windows live ID with my gmail account and then change it on the console. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]

For the Windows Live ID part, it doesn't matter, and they just want you to use hotmail, I've used gmail as my login for over 2 years now without issue. And yup, everything you're doing looks good, except for the XBL console passcode, that doesn't actually stop hackers, since its only on your console.

Ok, I see. So explain one more thing to me because I don't trust Microsoft employees for this information and I'm super paranoid about getting hacked again. Here is my question:

What are the proper steps in getting you're
Gmail account to act as you're login for the 360?

[quote name='shadylane']Ok, I see. So explain one more thing to me because I don't trust Microsoft employees for this information and I'm super paranoid about getting hacked again. Here is my question:

What are the proper steps in getting you're
Gmail account to act as you're login for the 360?[/QUOTE]

You can just go here: https://account.live.com/ChangeId.aspx and change it.

Would they give u a hard time if you ask them to delete your CC from live I wish it was like psn u can delete it your self

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So this ish is still happening?[/QUOTE]

I guess so.. shit like this makes me want to stop gaming F-ing hackers :whistle2:(

[quote name='starmask2k3']Would they give u a hard time if you ask them to delete your CC from live I wish it was like psn u can delete it your self[/QUOTE]
Depends on the person you talk too -- I had one tell me sorry you can't then I tried again and was refunded the amount of gold I had left via email in code form. I contacted them thru their new chat support thing.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So this ish is still happening?[/QUOTE]

Not really, after the fix to xbox.com, reports of accounts getting hacked dropped significantly

[quote name='starmask2k3']Would they give u a hard time if you ask them to delete your CC from live I wish it was like psn u can delete it your self[/QUOTE]

Not really, you can always go to live.xbox.com/en-US/ManagePaymentOptions to remove it, and if that doesn't work, you can call phone support to tell them to take it off for you.

I am on the phone right now with a Rep she's nice so it should be good :)

Just realized I got hacked back in January (Fifa hack/lost over 1600 points). My xbox broke so I took a break from gaming but just recently bought another one. Are they going to give me problems because I have to give the serial number,etc? I just bought a used one.

[quote name='Jesse757x']Just realized I got hacked back in January (Fifa hack/lost over 1600 points). My xbox broke so I took a break from gaming but just recently bought another one. Are they going to give me problems because I have to give the serial number,etc? I just bought a used one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that'll probably be an issue, since they always ask for the serial number when reporting a hacking

so if I no longer have an email associated with my gamertag, but still have the gamertag, there is nothing I can do to change the email that is associated with it to my current email?

[quote name='perdition(troy']so if I no longer have an email associated with my gamertag, but still have the gamertag, there is nothing I can do to change the email that is associated with it to my current email?[/QUOTE]
don't quite understand what your asking

[quote name='perdition(troy']so if I no longer have an email associated with my gamertag, but still have the gamertag, there is nothing I can do to change the email that is associated with it to my current email?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming what you're saying is that you know your gamertag, but don't know the email address associated with said gamertag. The only thing you can do would be to call Xbox Support in this situation, and see what they can do

[quote name='MrPiggles']I'm assuming what you're saying is that you know your gamertag, but don't know the email address associated with said gamertag. The only thing you can do would be to call Xbox Support in this situation, and see what they can do[/QUOTE]

ya, i'll be trying that again tomorrow. its frustrating, because i still have my gamertag, i just don't have access to my old email anymore so i don't feel comfortable using the gamertag (even though it has all of my mass effect play throughs on it :( )

[quote name='perdition(troy']ya, i'll be trying that again tomorrow. its frustrating, because i still have my gamertag, i just don't have access to my old email anymore so i don't feel comfortable using the gamertag (even though it has all of my mass effect play throughs on it :( )[/QUOTE]

good luck then,hopefully something works out

[quote name='perdition(troy']ya, i'll be trying that again tomorrow. its frustrating, because i still have my gamertag, i just don't have access to my old email anymore so i don't feel comfortable using the gamertag (even though it has all of my mass effect play throughs on it :( )[/QUOTE]
Do you remember your old password? You can change the email associated with your gametag on the xbox dash if you know the pw

[quote name='xFaith']good luck then,hopefully something works out[/QUOTE]

If you're still logged onto your profile, you can find your Windows Live ID by going to the social tab, clicking your avatar, and scrolling all the way to the far right, that displays all your stats

My account was hit with the FIFA 12 crap yesterday 3/29/12. I'm glad they didn't use my card that is on file just points.

On a side note I didn't have to call MS, I was able to do everything through chat.

[quote name='spoo']My account was hit with the FIFA 12 crap yesterday 3/29/12. I'm glad they didn't use my card that is on file just points.

On a side note I didn't have to call MS, I was able to do everything through chat.[/QUOTE]
Dang, I just got the same thing happen to me on 4/5/12. Ugh, trying to get this solved now...'

EDIT: Said investigation is going to take 3-5 days. Well, looks like it's improving compared to the 15-day wait the OP said.

EDIT2: Lol, I think I got like a soccer mom from the support team. She sounded friendly and when I asked about taking off my credit card info she suggested to go with prepaid cards next time and that she has kids and does the family gold subscription pack. Well... I thought it was funny.

Looks like Mcrosoft really streamlined their support process for getting your account hacked. If you know anymore information, make sure to add it to the wikified main post.

Got an email today saying that I can download my profile and use it again.

Yeah, 3-day turnaround? Not bad. They gave me 800MS points (I lost about 500) and they gave me some XBL gold codes. I thought it was the same codes they gave me over the phone when I told them to delete my CC information (when they delete your CC they give unsubscribe you from Live but give you codes for the remaining months), but they're in fact, different. So, almost a year of XBL gold for free.

So my girlfriend bought a new xbox around the holidays and tried recovering her gamertag on the new system. When she recovers it, it recovers a completely different account, different name, no gamerscore, no friends on her friends list, nothing except that there is an account with her login information. Anyone have this issue? Any way to resolve it, we've tried calling xbox and they keep telling her there is nothing they can do.

I believe I was hacked sometime this morning, I didn't have any credit cards/debit cards/paypal accounts tied to my Live account, but 2000 of my MSP are gone and under recent purchases it says I purchased that new South Park game and NFL Blitz...I've already completely changed my password and did that one feature on the website that makes it so all consoles require a password to logon, so if I call them over the points I'd probably lose my account for a while and it happens just when I start playing the Ghost Recon beta :/

[quote name='MoCiWe']I believe I was hacked sometime this morning, I didn't have any credit cards/debit cards/paypal accounts tied to my Live account, but 2000 of my MSP are gone and under recent purchases it says I purchased that new South Park game and NFL Blitz...I've already completely changed my password and did that one feature on the website that makes it so all consoles require a password to logon, so if I call them over the points I'd probably lose my account for a while and it happens just when I start playing the Ghost Recon beta :/[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, they streamlined the process, only takes a few days now.

[quote name='mcgavin27']So my girlfriend bought a new xbox around the holidays and tried recovering her gamertag on the new system. When she recovers it, it recovers a completely different account, different name, no gamerscore, no friends on her friends list, nothing except that there is an account with her login information. Anyone have this issue? Any way to resolve it, we've tried calling xbox and they keep telling her there is nothing they can do.[/QUOTE]

She probably got hacked, and someone sold her account. Go to www.billing.microsoft.com to see where her MSP were spent on, change your password, and use the Xbox Live Profile Protection tool

[quote name='MrPiggles']Don't worry, they streamlined the process, only takes a few days now. [/QUOTE]

Alright, that's good to hear, do you know if i'd be able to make a new account and use the free month they give you so that I could at least play with my friends for the few days while I wait

EDIT: Nevermind, I called them and they actually told me that I could use a backup for now, now to see if I have any 1 months or 48 hours lying around...

Had my account recovered like 6 months ago. I always have to enter username/password, it fails, "You have tried to login too many times with this account", re-enter w/ image recognition and it works fine.

Annoying.

But now I realize I can't use my profile on other Xboxes now, since there is no image verification, the login just automatically fails. Here we go again lol

Just wanted to say that the report I filed last week never actually kicked me off of live for some reason? And just today they took over my account for like literally 20 minutes and then sent me an email to get my Microsoft points back, so I was able to play online still while I was waiting and I still got my points back as well, don't know if that is how it's supposed to work but I was completely fine with how they handled it!

bread's done
Back