Xbox Live DOTW: The Maw plus DOTD: Battlefield 1943

[quote name='crunchewy']Were the weekly deals a holiday thing, or do they do them all year? I.e. Will there be a new set of deals for January?[/QUOTE]

There is always a deal of the week (although many aren't very good) but there will not be a deal of the day anymore.

[quote name='HydroX']So I missed out on the BF1943 deal thanks to my job, and I'm a little bit pissed about it.

Oh well, money saved....[/QUOTE]

It's still 560 points as of 320 pm est

Still thinking of buying the Maw, the demo was okay. Can anyone give me more insite. What game would you relate The Maw too?

I could be wrong but I got the feeling that the Maw was a dumb down version of Kameo, anyone else agree?

the maw is kinda like 'splosion man. I didn't like splosion man but others did and the maw is okay but too kiddyish and cartoon like for me. I only bought it due to the same, add a game to the game library and for my nephew to play later on. Supposedly it's an easy 200 easy gamerscore. The dlc is cheap too and adds new achievements so overall it's basically if you're wanting to up your gs and add another game to ya library really.

The Maw is basically a short adventure title.

Kameo is a good comparison title. You basically eat animals to you are big enough to advance to the next level. There are minor puzzle and platform elements and the demo is a good representation of the game.

It's short and easy GS. If you are low on points I would pass if you didn't like the demo. However, I say buy to support Twisted Pixel.

[quote name='larrylabia']It's still 560 points as of 320 pm est[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot. I caved and got it. :)

Still very few people talking, and some lag in Air Superiority, but still fun...

I picked up Shadow Complex and Castle Crashers. And I would have bought the FO3 DLC, The Maw, and BF 1943 if I didn't already have them. It is nice to see MS putting more XBLA stuff on sale these days.

MS should stick to this plan and start doing weekly deals all year long, and only do the daily deals during the christmas season. I would of probably bought more stuff since it would be cheaper for a week and therefore i would spend more money on MS points. I usually don't spend much money on the marketplace, but then I saw Shadow Complex and the FO3 DLC was going to be on sale I ended up buying the game, and ended up buying the last DLC I need for FO3.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Played for a few hours today, got right into a game, and no lag at all. Pretty fun game honestly, flying the planes is a blast.[/QUOTE]

So is shooting them down... :) Actually, what's pretty entertaining is lining them up in your sights, only to see them fly themselves into the ground. Ammo saved!

Is there a list of CAGs that play BF1943?

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Played for a few hours today, got right into a game, and no lag at all. Pretty fun game honestly, flying the planes is a blast.[/QUOTE]
I back this up. Tried the demo last night, and I got into it easily. No lag during the few hours I played last night and this afternoon. Unlike iNFiNiTE HORiZON, I sucked at flying planes, though.
Battlefield 1943 is still discounted, so any of you that are wary of lag or are on the borderline of buying should give more consideration into purchasing.

[quote name='Da_man24']MS should stick to this plan and start doing weekly deals all year long, and only do the daily deals during the christmas season. I would of probably bought more stuff since it would be cheaper for a week and therefore i would spend more money on MS points. I usually don't spend much money on the marketplace, but then I saw Shadow Complex and the FO3 DLC was going to be on sale I ended up buying the game, and ended up buying the last DLC I need for FO3.[/QUOTE]Actually, MS has been doing just that. They started DOTW back sometime in early 2009 and they did DOTD for two weeks in December.

[quote name='dieresis']I back this up. Tried the demo last night, and I got into it easily. No lag during the few hours I played last night and this afternoon. Unlike iNFiNiTE HORiZON, I sucked at flying planes, though.
Battlefield 1943 is still discounted, so any of you that are wary of lag or are on the borderline of buying should give more consideration into purchasing.[/QUOTE]

Just finished a match (Guadalcanal) and the lag was horrible: people running in place, my position constantly changing, planes motionless in mid-air, etc.

I guess the summary is, sometime's it's laggy, sometimes it's not. Don't know how this lag frequency compares to similar games.

When I used to play online in other games, you could see some indication of latency and select games that looked like you would have better performance. Is this no longer common practice? Does the matchmaking system automatically take this into account? Or did BF 1943 just skimp on this because it's a $15 game?

[quote name='dieresis']I back this up. Tried the demo last night, and I got into it easily. No lag during the few hours I played last night and this afternoon. Unlike iNFiNiTE HORiZON, I sucked at flying planes, though.
Battlefield 1943 is still discounted, so any of you that are wary of lag or are on the borderline of buying should give more consideration into purchasing.[/QUOTE]

haha. My first time playing and I shot down 3 enemy planes before anyone took me down, I'm so good at maneuvering the plane and getting behind them.

My biggest complaint is teammates rushing to the planes, I've only flown in one that one time outta the 2-3 hours I played.

It's funny the planes are the thing that disliked about the game the most. I just sucked at controlling them..

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']haha. My first time playing and I shot down 3 enemy planes before anyone took me down, I'm so good at maneuvering the plane and getting behind them.

My biggest complaint is teammates rushing to the planes, I've only flown in one that one time outta the 2-3 hours I played.[/QUOTE]

If you want to fly vs. other planes, why not play the Air Superiority mode? New planes keep spawning on the carrier all the time, so shouldn't be a problem to get into one.

i actually regret buying BF:1943. i've went into it a couple times, and each time, after about an hour in, i ask myself "would i rather be playing this or mw2?" then i always play mw2. call me a call of duty nut, but i think its such a smoother experience.

[quote name='hyunkim']i actually regret buying BF:1943. i've went into it a couple times, and each time, after about an hour in, i ask myself "would i rather be playing this or mw2?" then i always play mw2. call me a call of duty nut, but i think its such a smoother experience.[/QUOTE]

That was my reasoning for not getting it as well.
A WWI FPS with outdated mechanics & only 3 maps vs the much more fleshed out Call of Duty games I can easily hop into anytime.

bf1943 is still on sale and you can't compare it to mw2. mw2 is a full retail game and this is only like a quarter length of a retail game thus you'll notice it has smaller maps, limited selection of weapons and no choice of what map to play, etc. I don't regret buying it and it's worth it especially for the EA promotion going on. Other than that, it can be fun but just be in a good squad and get familiar with the game. It's fun for me when I run up on someone from the other team and kill them with a wrench or sword melee haha

[quote name='WTFer']That was my reasoning for not getting it as well.
A WWI FPS with outdated mechanics & only 3 maps vs the much more fleshed out Call of Duty games I can easily hop into anytime.[/QUOTE]

WWII. The Big One. (WWI don't get no respect from videogames.)

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Can you expand on what they are saying the link is screwed up? If this is true there will be a strongly worded letter to EA/Microsoft.....[/QUOTE]
Agreed. The offer page on Xbox Live even showed BF 1943 discounted (albeit to 600 rather than 560 pts). If they don't honor it, this is totally BS. I wouldn't have purchased anything without the free pts offer.

1943 is still at 560 points and I was honestly just about to grab it before seeing the posts here about it not being honored... what gives?

[quote name='wampa8jedi']1943 is still at 560 points and I was honestly just about to grab it before seeing the posts here about it not being honored... what gives?[/QUOTE]

The offer allegedly not being honored is the now-expired EA 800 pts back for purchasing three items deal, of which BF1943 was a part of. The 560 pts for BF1943 is still good as long as it shows up at 560 pts when you check out. So if you only wanted BF1943, you're good to go.

Wow, that is a complete bait and switch. I remember when xbox live had BF1943 marked as 600 pts (even though it was 560) when I clicked on the EA 800 pts back deal. If it was still at full price under the EA deal, that would be less of a bait and switch, but still shady. If the terms and conditions fine print said something about qualifying purchases having to be full price, then that's slightly more fair, but I don't know if they specified anything like that.

I'm just glad I didn't purchase the 2 mass effect DLCs for "free" after I bought BF1942. I bought NHL10, fight night round 4, and a bunch of other EA games new, but I won't anymore. If there's ever a EA game I want to play in the future, I'll just buy it cheap+used and give Gamestop my business.

No there was no specifications at the time, and they added this just recently:

*Limit one (1) rebate per person. To qualify for your gift, you must buy three (3) eligible games or game add-ons from Xbox LIVE Arcade using your Xbox LIVE account, by January 5, 2010 11:59 EST. The free Points will be automatically deposited into your Xbox LIVE account after the end of the promotion period. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Offer available only to legal residents, age 13+, of the 50 United States (includes D.C.), while supplies last, is non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient.

so all of a sudden everyone not in US or UK who was expecting 800 ms points wont be getting it after all. I'm uploading the screenshots now to my photobucket so you can check it out.

I'll worry about the 800 points back being void when it's confirmed that the sale price 1943 does not count.

Well here's hoping they don't apply the above disclaimer to the 1943 sale. Otherwise there will be a lot of angry people.

Going back to Castle Crashers...

why cant i find a "campaign" game?

it seems all the games i always got on were the Arena type of game.
Me being level 1 is no fun. Not counting about the modded characters online which i learned first day i tried castle crashers.

i just want to beat up the computer :cry:

I'm still not experiencing any lag on BF1943. The only glitch I've had is after playing one game mode, I cannot seem to switch to the other. This has happened twice. The first time I just thought no one was still playing Air Superiority. Then it occurred while switchin to a quick match. No way that was empty.

Speaking of Air Superiority, that mode helped my flying skills immensely. You get nothin BUT practice while playing that. Minus the distractions in the normal matches Also, watching what my enemies & wingmen could accomplish helped me to try more challenging maneuvers.
[quote name='hyunkim']i've went into it a couple times, and each time, after about an hour in, i ask myself "would i rather be playing this or mw2?" then i always play mw2.[/QUOTE]Bout an hour in, I find my self thinking that I miss RtCW: Enemy Territory. But I tend to do that with most WWII-themed FPS games.

[quote name='BingoBrown']The offer allegedly not being honored is the now-expired EA 800 pts back for purchasing three items deal, of which BF1943 was a part of. The 560 pts for BF1943 is still good as long as it shows up at 560 pts when you check out. So if you only wanted BF1943, you're good to go.[/QUOTE]

The EA deal for 800 points is still not dead. It says that the titles need to be downloaded prior to 1/5/10. I purchased BF1943 and it is a good game for the price, but I would not have purchased the 2 ME DLC packs. I don't know whether to download something else to cover myself or just hope that I get the 800 M$ pts.

[quote name='megma42']The EA deal for 800 points is still not dead. It says that the titles need to be downloaded prior to 1/5/10. I purchased BF1943 and it is a good game for the price, but I would not have purchased the 2 ME DLC packs. I don't know whether to download something else to cover myself or just hope that I get the 800 M$ pts.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was originally only good through December 31st, but apparently they extended the deadline to January 5th. Regardless, I'm still skeptical about whether BF1943 will count, considering they could claim it was a separate "offer." I'd like the Mass Effect DLCs for free, but I'm not willing to wager 800 points on the deal working.

Argh! I think I jinxed my self with that last post. Not connecting with the EA servers, now.

I don't know how I overlooked those bait-and-switch posts. Damn...several ppl purchased those Mass Effect dlc on my recommendation. That's such a shady, shifty, low-down, and grimey move on EA's part. You would have thought I'd learnt my lesson with EA by now. :wall: Is there a centralized forum/thread on this? I'd like find out more bout the situation and get a unadulterated copy of the fine print.

It does say that it can't be combined with any other offer, so I'm guessing if you bought Battlefield 1943 for the cheap price it won't count.

And because of that, they may have lost the sale of Warden's Keep for me. I may still get it at some point if people say it's really worth it, but I definitely would've gotten it if it would count for this. I really wish I hadn't already bought the Mass Effect add-ons.

bread's done
Back