Xbox Live DOTW: The Maw plus DOTD: Battlefield 1943

Yeah I grabbed Shadow Complex. The demo was fun and I like Metroid a lot so ten bucks seems fair for it. My poor little 20gb hdd is reaching its limit.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Try the demo?[/QUOTE]
I was gonna suggest the same, until I noticed that he said Metroid looks stupid.

IMO, Shadow Complex is a fuckin' awesome game. It's one of only two games I feel deserve the new 1200msp price point.
[quote name='Chris in Cali']Wow, I didn't realize these deals were fro gold members only. I just bought 1600 points specifically for the Shadow Complex sale. That's pretty pathetic Microsoft, you just insured I will never be paying for your "service." Bad enough that you hold off on demos that I can get on my PS3 for free.[/QUOTE]
Hasn't the Deal of the Week always been a gold-exclusive perk?

I'm gonna pass on Avatar Golf. I think it's cool that you're getting one of the better Indie Games for the price of a song dlc. It's just not my cup o' tea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Avatar Golf for 160 points and played a round. Very fun little game, and I feel good about supporting an Indie title. MS should do a better job of integrating Indie games by offering Achievements and by including them in the "Arcade" category.

I will most likely bite on Shadow Complex as well, as I have heard a great deal of positives and am a huge Metroid fan.

800 points for Shadow Complex is something that's really tempting. I just don't like buying Arcade/PSN games for more than $5 out of pocket (except Castle Crashers for 1200 live points.. well worth it).

Probably gonna have to wait until the end of the deal week and see if I'm convinced.

Castle Crashers was 1200 pts? It's been so long since I purchased it, I don't even remember. Okay then make that three games that are IMHO worth the 1200 price point.

Just played the Avatar Golf demo. Don't even know if it's worth the two bucks, heh. Well, I guess it's all right; it just needs a lot of polish. Tee It Up is a lot better.

You know, I'm probably going to catch a lot of heat for this, but I am amazed at the number of gamers that don't think a Gold Live membership is worth it. Over the course of the year, there are NUMEROUS opportunities to get a year for $30 or even less. When you think about what that gives you it's so worth it. I have a PS3 and while the PSN has come a long way, it's still laughable by XBL standards.

Sorry for the rant, but I just think that if you are able to be online with your 360 a year of Gold is far superior to a $30 game that you would play for a few months and then be done with.

That being said, I don't see why these kind of deals are Gold only.

[quote name='ProggleRock']Just played the Avatar Golf demo. Don't even know if it's worth the two bucks, heh. Well, I guess it's all right; it just needs a lot of polish. Tee It Up is a lot better.[/QUOTE]

really? I like Avatar Golf way more than Tee It Up.

[quote name='chriscolbert']You know, I'm probably going to catch a lot of heat for this, but I am amazed at the number of gamers that don't think a Gold Live membership is worth it. Over the course of the year, there are NUMEROUS opportunities to get a year for $30 or even less. When you think about what that gives you it's so worth it. I have a PS3 and while the PSN has come a long way, it's still laughable by XBL standards.

Sorry for the rant, but I just think that if you are able to be online with your 360 a year of Gold is far superior to a $30 game that you would play for a few months and then be done with.

That being said, I don't see why these kind of deals are Gold only.[/QUOTE]

Well it's because on PS3 and PC (not counting MMOs), you can play for free online. Being additionally charged to be able to play a game you already paid $40-$60 for, well it can get under some gamers' skins that aren't used to having to do that. That said, it's been the norm for awhile and if you bought a Xbox and are upset that you don't get to play online for free or be able to get certain deals (which I also think should be for Gold & Silver, but from a marketing standpoint.. it does make sense to have some for only Gold to get people to purchase a subscription with the added perk of getting said deals) well.. now you know and it doesn't cost that much.

I can't agree with the year of Gold being better than a new game though. Having Gold doesn't get you a new experience (other than 1 vs 100). Like, I'm big in RPGs and massive single player games. I'd gladly choose the game over the year of Gold if I had no reason to be playing online at that moment. If you don't have a game(s) that you'll be playing online, there's little reason to have a Gold subscription as it brings nothing new to the table other than early access to demos (something PSN gives for free), a few random deals, and Netflix/Twitter/Facebook/Last.fm. Stuff you can do with your PC (the Netflix is debatable)

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Wow, I didn't realize these deals were fro gold members only. I just bought 1600 points specifically for the Shadow Complex sale. That's pretty pathetic Microsoft, you just insured I will never be paying for your "service." Bad enough that you hold off on demos that I can get on my PS3 for free.[/QUOTE]

Shadow Complex is a gold deal of the week (not in the countdown) which has always been for gold members only (since it started how many months ago?). I can't see how they are doing something bad here or in any way could have tricked you.

[quote name='chriscolbert']That being said, I don't see why these kind of deals are Gold only.[/QUOTE]

Because they are adding value to the membership. Honestly, I don't see how people operate this console without a Gold membership. My system would feel naked without it... and you're right about being able to find good deals on this. Honestly, Sony is going to end up creating a service very similar to this in the future and the only thing it's going to do is create a competitive environment for Microsoft.

Hopefully Sony will force Microsoft to lower the initial price of Gold, but even if they don't it's not that hard to find it for 35 to 40.

Well, do free trials work? If so I have a couple codes laying around.

For those who are complaining about gold:

If I remember correctly, each Xbox can generate 3 New Gamertags that are good for 1 month trial of GOLD. (This was way back, but I've read it still works) Said Gamertags can be used to purchase content that will then be tied to the console id. Other users on the same console can also play the full versions of the games. Shipwreck has a thread about that process around here somewhere.

Here are some old instructions
You can get three free Xbox live months one at a time if you want, but you’ll have to change account names each month. Simply go to the 360’s dashboard and “sign up” (by signing out of your account) and register a new name. When you fill out all the information (make sure the zip code and the city are correct, but you can use any city/zip combo like Beverly Hills, California, 90210 works) and finally get to the payment options, select Silver membership. It’ll ask you if you’re sure, so just hit yes that you’re sure, but then it will say you qualify for a free 1-month trial immediately. Just take the 1-month trial and play as you please. When your month runs up, you can just make a new silver account and get another free 1-month trial again. I regularly have guests over to play, so instead of making guest[1] and such and only getting to do social matches, we can make a bunch of free 1-month trials and everyone gets to play ranked then if they want. Good times! edit — I have been informed that there are only three 1-month trials of Xbox Live Gold (you can have as many Silvers as you please AFAIK) per x360. Still not bad! - ablestmage.com

I don't like paying for Live Gold (see my sig), either, but come on. How many greats deals pop up on the subs all the time? You shouldn't have to pay more than $35 for a year, and that adds up to around $3 a month. Not really a massive deal.

It looks like yesterday's theme has been updated to premium. The file size is now 9 MB instead of 2 MB according to the marketplace page.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Because they are adding value to the membership. Honestly, I don't see how people operate this console without a Gold membership. My system would feel naked without it... and you're right about being able to find good deals on this. Honestly, Sony is going to end up creating a service very similar to this in the future and the only thing it's going to do is create a competitive environment for Microsoft.

Hopefully Sony will force Microsoft to lower the initial price of Gold, but even if they don't it's not that hard to find it for 35 to 40.
[/QUOTE]

PSN = Fail... Don;t worry, Sony fans, your charges are coming soon... See the article at IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1056817p1.html

For the guy wondering who wouldn't want have gold... I get the odd gold card here and there whenever a really good deal comes alone. I tend to keep them until I have to use them. I don't feel a pressing need to keep an active Gold subscription, because I've almost always found the multiplayer experience to be the best on the PC. I only get multiplayer games for my consoles if they are exclusive or I find them at bargain prices.
[quote name='m3talst0rm']Side Note:
I really enjoy some of the indie games and the lack of achievements do not bother me. It's the fact you must be connected to xbox live to play them that kills the deal. I hate that I cannot buy, for instance, Avatar Golf for my sports nut of a nephew because his parents will not allow him to keep his console connected to the internet. Oh, well, it doesn't affect me directly.[/QUOTE]That's almost my situation exactly. My nephew loves choosing and playing the Indie game demos when he's at my house so much that I wanted to buy him some. They're so cheap that I thought I could use them a rewards for getting good marks at school and such. Unfortunately, you can't play them witout being connected to Live. As for the achievements, some of the indie games do have "fake" ones. I'd be fine with those and an online scoreboard.

edit: Sorry bout the off-topic wall o' txt, guys. And, thanks for the heads up, spree4567.

[quote name='NoDAK']
That's almost my situation exactly. My nephew loves choosing and playing the Indie game demos when he's at my house so much that I wanted to buy him some. They're so cheap that I thought I could use them a rewards for getting good marks at school and such. Unfortunately, you can't play them witout being connected to Live. As for the achievements, some of the indie games do have "fake" ones. I'd be fine with those and an online scoreboard.

edit: Thanks for the heads up, spree4567.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah... Avatar Golf has those. Fake Achievements.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']PSN = Fail... Don;t worry, Sony fans, your charges are coming soon... See the article at IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1056817p1.html[/QUOTE]

Lawl, Sony fans are gonna go insane if that really does happen (Like the FF13 360 announcement fan-rage thing x100), i couldnt care less myself, as long as it makes the services better, and more stuff free (Even if you have to pay overall)

Thanks for the update.

[quote name='spree4567']It looks like yesterday's theme has been updated to premium. The file size is now 9 MB instead of 2 MB according to the marketplace page.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Don G.']I'm holding out hope that Castle Crashers goes on sale for 800 points. Not sure if it'll happen.[/QUOTE]

It will not I promise you.

Games that are in the Top 10 of sales don't have price cuts/deals. That's why Shadow Complex has a deal on it and not Castle Crashers.

A Premium Theme that isn't a Premium Theme, freebies can't even be done right. And now a overpriced community game that still doesn't look worth $2.

Even if MS had a daily deal for 365 days of the year half of us would pass them all up because they are just that bad, M$ is like the Bose of online gaming merchants.

[quote name='spree4567']It looks like yesterday's theme has been updated to premium. The file size is now 9 MB instead of 2 MB according to the marketplace page.[/QUOTE]

If you downloaded yesterday's non-premium theme for free, you can go back and re-download the premium one for free once it's been replaced.

- From Major Nelson's Twitter

[quote name='KingBroly']Games that are in the Top 10 of sales don't have price cuts/deals. That's why Shadow Complex has a deal on it and not Castle Crashers.[/QUOTE]

I would say "then they aren't getting any money from me", but that is pretty much the point. They are getting enough money from everyone else that is willing to pay full price (which I have trouble understanding this late into the games life).

[quote name='Skoad']Charges for what sounds like a better service than Xbox Live Gold. And they're not getting rid of their old "free-to-play" membership.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but adding cross game chat only to people with the paid service is like adding a turd to pretty much anything. But it is nice they are leaving what is free right now, free forever.

Some weird that i read on gamespot (in the forums) was when someone listed the features of the different options. One of them was an extended warranty. Now that just confuses me because if there is a monthly sub option than couldn't everyone get an extended warranty for like $10 (or however much their monthly sub is). I hope it is because I will take super full advantage of that.

Hopefully tommorows deal announcement on twitter pops up early like today's did. Kind of anxious to see what it is (Is hoping for either Metal Slug 3, Alien Hominid, Outrun Arcade, or Virtual On)

If you redownload the New Years theme from yesterday it has now been updated to a premium theme, I just did it and now everything behind all my friends have changed to New Years themed objects

EDIT- Damn Sandman you're always beating me to this shit!:lol:

To be fair, a straight $29 12 month b&m Live deal hasn't been around in a few months. I check the board everyday waiting for one.

I should have have gotten the 3 months for $13.99 at Kmart last week.

[quote name='kaydigi']To be fair, a straight $29 12 month b&m Live deal hasn't been around in a few months. I check the board everyday waiting for one.

I should have have gotten the 3 months for $13.99 at Kmart last week.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to go a bit off topic but at my BB, the 3 month kits are 19.99. It comes with the time, 400 MS points, and a headset. Decent deal even if you don't need a new headset at the moment.

EDIT - I don't know if this is at every BB, I don't remember seeing it in the weekly ad, it was a surprise at the store today.

No! Get my hopes up that I could finally get rid of my weird number of MS points! But alas, I only have 120 (used to have 20 before the Doritos text thing...).

[quote name='sandman8288']If you downloaded yesterday's non-premium theme for free, you can go back and re-download the premium one for free once it's been replaced.

- From Major Nelson's Twitter[/QUOTE]

Link?? i dl'ed the piece o crap yesterday and want a decent one lol

[quote name='dcm1602']So whats the consensus on the avatar golf ?

Is it worth the 160 points ?[/QUOTE]

It's definitely worth two bucks, but you're less than likely to play it for very long.

[quote name='dcm1602']So whats the consensus on the avatar golf ?

Is it worth the 160 points ?[/QUOTE] I played a round this afternoon, very fun for an arcade golf game. More than worthy of $2. The most interesting aspect is the use of your 360 Avatar. Up until now, all my likeness did was just stand around under the "My Games" section. Playing golf in a leather jacket and jeans never seemed so funny before today.

All in all, good buy.

[quote name='chriscolbert']
Sorry for the rant, but I just think that if you are able to be online with your 360 a year of Gold is far superior to a $30 game that you would play for a few months and then be done with.[/QUOTE]

I've had gold pretty much since I bought the console (after I found a suitable non-official wireless solution), but I've recently let it lapse and have been silver for a month. The funny thing is, I have perhaps two and a half years of cards from cheap clearance/going out of business sales I just see no point in renewing today (aside from this current deal).

Truth is, other than the deals of the week and the demos, I dont usually get a lot of use out of gold. I play mostly single player games. This year was a bit unusual as I played a ton of Battlefield 1943 and that's about the only thing that I want to play online. But I'm knee deep in AC2 w/ Dragon Age on deck. No need for gold with those.

[quote name='tominater12']It will not I promise you.[/QUOTE]

If it's not then I'll probably pick it up right after but I might as well wait just in case.

I'd love Trials HD too. Hopefully they drop that to 800.

[quote name='sandman8288']If you downloaded yesterday's non-premium theme for free, you can go back and re-download the premium one for free once it's been replaced.

- From Major Nelson's Twitter[/QUOTE]

Thanks:D, I just re-downloaded for the premium theme. It looks exactly the same to me except for the friends tab.

So if I use one of those 48 hour Gold card things I should be able to get this deal, right? They don't gimp the Gold accounts redeemed through those do they?

[quote name='topplehat']So if I use one of those 48 hour Gold card things I should be able to get this deal, right? They don't gimp the Gold accounts redeemed through those do they?[/QUOTE]

No. For the hundredth fucking time, no, you won't be able to get the deal.

[quote name='Zoglog']anyone else not seeing shadow complex for 800 pts? shows up 1200 for me...[/QUOTE] Deal of the Day is for everyone, but Deal of the Week (for Shadow Complex at 800 points) is only available for the Gold Members of Xbox Live. If I am not mistaken, 48 Hour Trials do not count as being a full Gold Member either.

bread's done
Back