Xbox Live Sale @ TRU YMMV

Kakkarrot23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I didn't see this posted so here goes. I was at TRU and the following 360 live products were on sale but not in the flyer:

1600 MS points for $9.99 - $10 off
Xbox Live Gold 12 months $39.99
Xbox live gold 3 months 9.99 plus a free 3 month live gold. (I did see this at the one store but I didn't see it at the other store I went to. My wife and I had to read it to make sure we were seeing the same thing)

All sign were put up in RZone. I was at the Freehold, NJ store. Sale lasts all week.

Update: I did have to go back to the store as they did sell it to me but for some reason it didn't activate. Showed the manager and he fixed the problem for me. Just make sure it says activation on the receipt.

Last edited by a moderator:
the local tru had a few of those 12+1 month left for $39.99 but I don't have paypal so there's not much of an option of me getting it for anyone. Maybe a money order but not alot of people want to do that option but that's all there is for me.

[quote name='Greyman7']I tried calculating it with art and got a picture of a puppy...I'm gonna see if TRU honors it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I think you came out on top with that!

No deal at my TRU. They recently remodeled and only had the newer Live cards. I have one other TRU to check tomorrow.

[quote name='Grimm Fandango']I sincerely doubt this will apply to more than a few stores. Way too good to be true.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but if your store is one of the few... :whee:
If you have a TRU that is nearby, I see no reason to have hope and check it out.

[quote name='DefeatUForever']Whats ymmv mean?[/QUOTE]

Your Mileage May Vary.

[quote name='strongpimphand']I love how yall are calling TRU to see if they had it....

I remember one time a customer called at a store I was working at and said a GREAT deal. I was like "???????" and told them I'd check for them

Sure was!

And yep, told them we were out....and bought it myself. You want a deal? Go there yourself! Don't expect someone to scour the whole store for you and then hold it for you too.

Brings up another story. Guy wanted me to hold like 10 things for him. An old woman came in and wanted one of his items. I sold it to her. Guy came in before the store closed (barely) and tried to get all huffy over that item being sold. Look - when you're on comission, holding shit ain't what it is. When you have goals you have to meet to get paid, you're not willing to hold hope that some guy over the phone that you don't know is going to come in and really buy that shit.

Main point - quit calling and get it yourself or if you're really 30 mins away, pay for it over the phone. Some stores allow that with ID shown when you come pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Uh. I would say you're a major dumbass if you run/work in the Rzone and, assuming you didn't pariticpate in putting the signs up, didn't see the signs referring to the deals. Do you really think that somebody in the R-Zone isn't aware of this deal? This isn't some clearance deal that could be sitting at the bottom of the bin. This is a sign(s) that's out in the open.

points not working and those are not on sale, as far as the local tru in my area has it. it's only the 3 month xbl card for $9.99+tax and the 12+1 month xbl card for $39.99+tax. Only thing left though is the 13 month card and even at that only a few so it's really ymmv and luck.

I might head out and check mine in a bit. I'm always open to cheap MS points.

[quote name='strongpimphand']
And yep, told them we were out....and bought it myself. You want a deal? Go there yourself! Don't expect someone to scour the whole store for you and then hold it for you too.

Main point - quit calling and get it yourself or if you're really 30 mins away, pay for it over the phone. Some stores allow that with ID shown when you come pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Or do the job you're paid to do.

[quote name='whywakeup']You sound like a real class act .[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And people wonder why no one wants to deal with employees anymore. Walking over to a shelf and grabbing an item is too much work apparently.

could someone describe or show a pic of what the cards allegedly on sale look like? I ask because people are talking about old vs. new cards.

[quote name='Staraang21']could someone describe or show a pic of what the cards allegedly on sale look like? I ask because people are talking about old vs. new cards.[/QUOTE]

The old cards are pre-activated and often in a clamshell behind the counter. It's unlikely many ToysRus have these in stock anymore. They're orange like in Color.

The newer cards, and probably the only ones people will ever find, have tons of new designs. These have no value until scanned at the register. They're kept on the floor, since they have no value until you pay for them.

Thinking about this, I'm not even going to bother. I do not recall seeing a single one of those older cards at the local ToysRus.

[quote name='dragonjud']The old cards are pre-activated and often in a clamshell behind the counter. It's unlikely many ToysRus have these in stock anymore. They're orange like in Color.

The newer cards, and probably the only ones people will ever find, have tons of new designs. These have no value until scanned at the register. They're kept on the floor, since they have no value until you pay for them.

Thinking about this, I'm not even going to bother. I do not recall seeing a single one of those older cards at the local ToysRus.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate your help. i'm not expecting to find anything but this deal is just too tantalizing to not at least check out my local TRU. $20 for a year of XBL would be huge.

Wait, so this is just for RZ members? And what does it mean "older" MSP cards? Most all cards I've seen have been in a clamshell like case. Granted the most recent I got have little swirls and spirals on them...which are the newer ones youre referring to i suppose

[quote name='strongpimphand']I love how yall are calling TRU to see if they had it....

I remember one time a customer called at a store I was working at and said a GREAT deal. I was like "???????" and told them I'd check for them

Sure was!

Brings up another story. Guy wanted me to hold like 10 things for him. An old woman came in and wanted one of his items. I sold it to her. Guy came in before the store closed (barely) and tried to get all huffy over that item being sold. Look - when you're on comission, holding shit ain't what it is. When you have goals you have to meet to get paid, you're not willing to hold hope that some guy over the phone that you don't know is going to come in and really buy that shit.

Cool-Dog-Hey-Cool-story-bro41.jpg

The jerk at the Louisville Ky, St. Mathews store was not going to give me the B1G1 deal on the 3 month cards. Even though it said so on the sign. His response? TAKE THE SIGN DOWN! "it can't be right!" Even though it rang up as such. the 1600 card didn't though so I didn't get it.

Just one question: Can I input the two new 3 month cards now and they will add to my time? Sorry for sounding like a n00b, but this is my first time buying multiple gold cards.

I don't think it's too likely that anyone here goes to the one in Danbury, CT but just in case anyone does: they're out of everything except the three month cards.

[quote name='robbyH']The jerk at the Louisville Ky, St. Mathews store was not going to give me the B1G1 deal on the 3 month cards. Even though it said so on the sign. His response? TAKE THE SIGN DOWN! "it can't be right!" Even though it rang up as such. the 1600 card didn't though so I didn't get it.

Just one question: Can I input the two new 3 month cards now and they will add to my time? Sorry for sounding like a n00b, but this is my first time buying multiple gold cards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man they add fine. Do it to it.

[quote name='robbyH'] Just one question: Can I input the two new 3 month cards now and they will add to my time? Sorry for sounding like a n00b, but this is my first time buying multiple gold cards.[/QUOTE]

It stacks and adds to the end of the subscription.

No need to apologize. It sucks that a few people on this site have ruined it so that people have to apologize for asking a question so they don't get flamed.:roll:

My local TRU had 4000 msp, 3 months, and 12+1 behind counter in clamshell, but no 1600 points which is what i really wanted. They did however have 1, 3, 12+1 months on the floor along with 1600 cards with guitar hero and rock band logos on them.

dammit, i want my $30 4000 point cards off here again!

TRIP REPORT

I set out this morning at 10am, hoping to find some of the 1600 cards for $9. I wasn't sure if the stores opened at 10 or 12 today, but I figured I'd best be safe rather than sorry.

When I arrived at the first TRU, I thought maybe they were closed... all the employees were gathered around the manager, and he was giving a speech on what to do when parents lose a child in the store. But everything seemed to be open, so I made my way to the R' Zone. After looking around for a while, all through the aisles, the back wall, and behind the counter, all I could find were 3-month cards, and they weren't indicating any discount.

0 for 1.

I was familiar with one other TRU, which was just a quick expressway ride away. Ten minutes later, I was at the store. It seems they'd recently renovated to store, so everything was a little confusing to me. Eventually I found where they shoved the Xbox cards, but all they had were 12-month cards, discounted to $40.

0 for 2.

I was kind of bummed, but I decided that I'd go to the next closest TRU, so I typed "toys r us" into my GPS and was off. The GPS took me on kind of an awkward trip, and I was soon regretting my decision. Fifteen minutes later, I was at the TRU, and I started looking around. This felt better, it was a classic TRU with a completely disorganized R' Zone. After looking around for a few minutes, I found the 1600 points cards, but unfortunately they weren't the right points cards. I was discouraged.

Then I saw something amazing: a bunch of old 12-month bundles shoved in the back of a glass display case. I waited for the clerk to finish with his customers, and then I politely asked him if he could check the price of the bundle for me. It ended up being $12.98 for the 12-month bundle after a $10 rebate... pretty good, I thought, so I told him I'd buy all of them. There ended up being three of the bundles, but then he found three 12-month + Vision Cam bundles and asked me if I wanted them. I told him to check the price, and they rang up as EIGHT fuckING DOLLARS so obviously I replied, "Sure, I might as well take those, too."

1 for 3, but what a 1 that was!

picture.php

Sweetness.

Fortunately, I have no need for 6 years of Xbox Live, so I'm passing the savings on to you! Now, I'm not interested in shipping a bunch of bulky boxes, so I'm simply going to sell the contents inside separately... and by sell, I mean trade. Here are the deals I'm interested in making, so PM me if you're up for it:

[size=+2]Product availability has been Updated![/size]

[How many I have] [What I'm trading] :: [What I want for the trade]

[I have 0 of these] (1) 12-months Xbox Live card :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card
[I have 3 of these] (1) Vision Camera :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card (or some kind of trade, check my list)
[I have 6 of these] (1) Headset :: (1) 800 Microsoft Points card/code (or trade)
[I have 2 of these] (1) Uno card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code or Rock Band track of my choosing
[I have 2 of these] (1) Robotron:2084 card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code or Rock Band track of my choosing
[I have 1 of these] (1) Bankshot Billiards 2 card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code or Rock Band track of my choosing

Ok, that seems to be about it. Good luck finding stuff at TRU everyone!

[size=+2]Deals Finished[/size]
gorgo - (1) 12-months Xbox Live card :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card
bizmat - (1) 12-months Xbox Live card :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card
Gothic Walrus - (1) 12-months Xbox Live card :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card
SpartanJohnson - (1) 12-months Xbox Live card :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card
Predator21281 - (1) 12-months Xbox Live card :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card
bizmat - (1) Bankshot Billiards 2 card :: (1) Billy Idol - Mony Mony
bizmat - (1) Robotron:2084 card :: (1) Blur - There's No Other Way
dxbrbnk - (1) Uno card :: (1) Dropkick Murphys - Shipping out to Boston & (1) Tom Petty - Running Down a Dream

[size=+2]Deals Pending[/size]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Irukandji']stupid picture[/QUOTE]

The guy's right, though: if there's something you want and there's even a slight chance they might run out, calling ahead is one of the dumbest things you can do because it gives employees first crack at it. They won't leave that $5 game on the shelf out of the goodness of their hearts if they want a copy.

Online inventory checks are much more hit-or-miss but are a better starting point, if they've got one up.

[quote name='zenintrude']TRIP REPORT

I set out this morning at 10am, hoping to find some of the 1600 cards for $9. I wasn't sure if the stores opened at 10 or 12 today, but I figured I'd best be safe rather than sorry.

When I arrived at the first TRU, I thought maybe they were closed... all the employees were gathered around the manager, and he was giving a speech on what to do when parents lose a child in the store. But everything seemed to be open, so I made my way to the R' Zone. After looking around for a while, all through the aisles, the back wall, and behind the counter, all I could find were 3-month cards, and they weren't indicating any discount.

0 for 1.

I was familiar with one other TRU, which was just a quick expressway ride away. Ten minutes later, I was at the store. It seems they'd recently renovated to store, so everything was a little confusing to me. Eventually I found where they shoved the Xbox cards, but all they had were 12-month cards, discounted to $40.

0 for 2.

I was kind of bummed, but I decided that I'd go to the next closest TRU, so I typed "toys r us" into my GPS and was off. The GPS took me on kind of an awkward trip, and I was soon regretting my decision. Fifteen minutes later, I was at the TRU, and I started looking around. This felt better, it was a classic TRU with a completely disorganized R' Zone. After looking around for a few minutes, I found the 1600 points cards, but unfortunately they weren't the right points cards. I was discouraged.

Then I saw something amazing: a bunch of old 12-month bundles shoved in the back of a glass display case. I waited for the clerk to finish with his customers, and then I politely asked him if he could check the price of the bundle for me. It ended up being $12.98 for the 12-month bundle after a $10 rebate... pretty good, I thought, so I told him I'd buy all of them. There ended up being three of the bundles, but then he found three 12-month + Vision Cam bundles and asked me if I wanted them. I told him to check the price, and they rang up as EIGHT fuckING DOLLARS so obviously I replied, "Sure, I might as well take those, too."

1 for 3, but what a 1 that was!

picture.php

Sweetness.

Fortunately, I have no need for 6 years of Xbox Live, so I'm passing the savings on to you! Now, I'm not interested in shipping a bunch of bulky boxes, so I'm simply going to sell the contents inside separately... and by sell, I mean trade. Here are the deals I'm interested in making, so PM me if you're up for it:

[How many I have] [What I'm trading] :: [What I want for the trade]

[I have 6 of these] (1) 12-months Xbox Live card :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card
[I have 3 of these] (1) Vision Camera :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card (or some kind of trade, check my list)
[I have 6 of these] (1) Headset :: (1) 800 Microsoft Points card/code (or trade)
[I have 3 of these] (1) Uno card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code (or trade)
[I have 3 of these] (1) Robotron:2084 card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code (or trade)
[I have 3 of these] (1) Bankshot Billiards 2 card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code (or trade)

Ok, that seems to be about it. Good luck finding stuff at TRU everyone![/QUOTE]

that is crazy!! LOL

too bad i already bought my 12 month for 40 today... :(

good luck trading~~ i bet you will get lots of things

Checked the eatontown, nj store and did not see any. They only were advertising the free 3 months with purchase of a console. I looked in the case behind the register, but there were no signs up except for some clearance wii and ps2 accessories.

[quote name='Predator21281']The local TRU had nothing.

Zenintrude, I sent you a pm.[/QUOTE]

Replied... so far, I have 4 potential buyers of 12-month cards.

Toys R Us in Burnsville, MN didn't seem to have these great deals :(. They did have the 3 month cards for $9.99 but that was it.

Went to the TRU on Topnaga Canyon in Los Angeles. This deal was not found there, was totally bummed. Had my fingers crossed the deals would bestow themseleves on this beautiful are. YMMV indeed

Just did a successful trade with zenintrude for 12-month card. We exchanged codes over PM, I entered it into my account on xbox.com. Great deal! For those who don't know, for easy trading, you can buy codes from amazon.com.

Hey, anybody who is/was lucky enough to score on the points, I will buy them from you for $12 PM'ed. Also have a brand new in box RB 1 Drumkit that I would ship for three codes. PM me! Please help me out. I live 30 or 40 mins from my closest TRU!!!

bread's done
Back