Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Yeah basically only option other than satellite Internet which is a bit higher of a cap yet latency kills using it for anything other than watching Youtube videos.

Mmm, I've already switched off turn on Xbox with Xbox On, Quick loading and automatic updates. I'm in the preview event too lol. I decided, I picked up Tomb Raider and Strider earlier last week, to pick up Crimson Dragon while I'm still on location of broadband Internet at my apt in Greensboro NC lol.

I'll stay active on the boards...

Maybe it varies depending on where you live, but I've had Verizon internet for a long time and never had a data cap. Had their DSL for years, and now I've had Fios for 2-3 years. Strange.

Yeah they might, just might have 4G, but folks, and everyone on this side of the lake (the other side has cable, like wtf), are using a Jetpack to receive Internet from the cell tower. Would love if FIOS came our way, "there's just a bunch of farmers there" is the official non official discussion on the matter. You pretty much have to go satellite Internet if you're going to use it, folks just Web surf and watch random Youtube videos/family photos in email.

If you're ever in East Springfield, stop on by; old green house, green barn and horse/cow pastures next to hay fields halfway down near the Glimmerglass State Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah good idea, voted.

I'm going to find out how much not having an Internet connection is going to hamper this system by the end of this week. Unfortunately it appears I have to move back home and that's capped Internet with Verizon. Well it was fun folks. Still looking forward to Dragon Age and Sunset Overdrive.
Moving back home? That sucks. Work related?

looks like microsoft store might have leaked batman's release date as feb 24th 2015

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/23/batman-arkham-knight-release-date-possibly-revealed
Same day as Witcher 3 and only 4 days after The Order. Why do publishers insist on releasing big games around the same time? Totally sucks for us gamers.

I think i remember reading something about it a week or so ago that someone else leaked it for February. Or maybe it was just early 2015.
Kevin Conroy (voice of Batman) suggested that the game would be released in January.

They really need to take note from the movie industry, rarely do you see 2 blockbuster movies launch in the same weekend, and they tend to stagger the blockbusters at a rate that there are very few lulls throughout the year.

the issue is most game companys are scared to release games may-aug which in my opinion would be best time seeing most people have more free time during summer. Look at movies the best ones are almost always released in summer. 

Which means most games are coming out in early part of year and late part of year so you have tons out the same day.

the issue is most game companys are scared to release games may-aug which in my opinion would be best time seeing most people have more free time during summer. Look at movies the best ones are almost always released in summer.

Which means most games are coming out in early part of year and late part of year so you have tons out the same day.
I've been saying this for ages. For gamers who buy a lot of new games, the summer months are the worst. Sure, it gives you some time to work on that backlog, but you really need something exciting to look forward to once in a while. The last game I got excited for was Titanfall, and now I gotta wait all the way til September for Destiny.

Yeah they might, just might have 4G, but folks, and everyone on this side of the lake (the other side has cable, like wtf), are using a Jetpack to receive Internet from the cell tower. Would love if FIOS came our way, "there's just a bunch of farmers there" is the official non official discussion on the matter. You pretty much have to go satellite Internet if you're going to use it, folks just Web surf and watch random Youtube videos/family photos in email.

If you're ever in East Springfield, stop on by; old green house, green barn and horse/cow pastures next to hay fields halfway down near the Glimmerglass State Park.
There's a Springfield everywhere, isn't there? I am originally from Springfield, IL, which was surrounded by rural areas even though Springfield itself was an actual (small) city. But yeah, I can kind of relate since Fios wasn't available where I lived for the longest time. Back in the day, I couldn't even get dial-up access without having to make a long distance call, until around 2000.

i think destiny will be  a gamefly renter for me i was not impressed with alpha and hope my thinking changes after beta in july. With just get ps4 and a wii u my back log is so large that i will buy madden and not play much until a.c in oct.

Hey, best of luck with the move, Spy. I hope to still see you online a lot.

New to the thread but have been getting into my One again lately. As much as I enjoy Playstation stuff I always just gravitate towards Xbox. Just more user-friendly and better controller to me. 3 observations:

1. Why can't I turn off the darn rumble yet across every game? Seems like an idiotic oversight. Some of the rumble on this controller is insane, like when a turret overheats on Spartan Assault. Crazy volume and rattling with no option to disable it. Why hasn't this been updated yet? 360 has done this for years.

2. Why no motto or description in profiles anymore? Aren't things supposed to be more social now? Why take things away? I like to see them and sometimes refresh who are my CAG buddies.

3. Ditto for beacons. With big friend lists and my choice to disable notifications I would leave beacons on for online games.

1. Why can't I turn off the darn rumble yet across every game? Seems like an idiotic oversight. Some of the rumble on this controller is insane, like when a turret overheats on Spartan Assault. Crazy volume and rattling with no option to disable it. Why hasn't this been updated yet? 360 has done this for years.
Thanks for reminding me of another reason why I'm holding off. Will not buy an XB1 until an update allows the vibration to be turned off. (Agree with your other points as well -- why take things away, smh.)

Thanks for reminding me of another reason why I'm holding off. Will not buy an XB1 until an update allows the vibration to be turned off. (Agree with your other points as well -- why take things away, smh.)
Because it's always nice to have a press release discussing all the "new" features being added on a monthly basis. I expect that by the end of the year most of these features will be part of the X1 experience.

Because it's always nice to have a press release discussing all the "new" features being added on a monthly basis. I expect that by the end of the year most of these features will be part of the X1 experience.
I don't think Beacons will come back. That idea was always undercooked.

Makes sense about the profile stuff, although I kind of liked them.

Yeah, I mean, I can see why they're proud of the new vibration. It is precise and much better than the olden days, but I still don't like any of it. Just a personal preference that a lot of people share. I think it was a mistake to leave it up to the developers

It seems like half of them are conscious of it and give an option. Forza does. The other half are either too lazy or want everyone to play it the way they want us to. Neither Spartan Assault or Ryse let you remove it. Some of it can get ridiculous to the point of wanting to drop the controller almost. I have had it off for so many years that I really notice it.

I like beacons, especially would for One, because we can all have so many friends now but have no idea if they launch a game I've been waiting to do co-op on. They might not want to or I might not want to sometime but might as well make it easier for friends.

I like beacons, especially would for One, because we can all have so many friends now but have no idea if they launch a game I've been waiting to do co-op on. They might not want to or I might not want to sometime but might as well make it easier for friends.
The best implementation IMO would be if you had a list of all your friends' Beacons that you could look at and use to decide what game to play. Loading up a game I was already going to play anyway and seeing somebody's beacon is still kinda useful but not as much. It feels like a nag, and I think people often set a beacon and then just forgot about it.

The best implementation IMO would be if you had a list of all your friends' Beacons that you could look at and use to decide what game to play. Loading up a game I was already going to play anyway and seeing somebody's beacon is still kinda useful but not as much. It feels like a nag, and I think people often set a beacon and then just forgot about it.
I think you are on to something. This generation seems to be all about co-op/mutiplayer. So, there is definitely a place for Beacons in my opinion but they need to be tweaked.

Agreed. I stopped setting beacons unless I was actively playing a game or willing to so I didn't give anyone the wrong impression but, like you said, I don't think most people did that.

Some sort of co-op management would be cool.

I always hated beacons. "Oh, look! Kenny wants to play Halo 3! Wait... He's playing Hardwood Spades again? Hasn't played Halo in how many months? fuckin' beacons, man."

I just set the people I play with most as favorites so they show up atop my friend list. I only receive notifications regarding someone starting a game or signing on if they are a favorite. I still get pop-ups for messages, achievements, etc. but I definitely prefer that to beacons.

Yeah I loved the beacons, setting one for Borderlands 2 got me a lot of friendly co-op game time. Also seeing what your friends were playing so you could be just like a beacon and say oh you're playing that game, I could use the co-op achievements.

Drove to NY yesterday & I'm back in NC today to cram more stuff in my Velestor Turbo, boy it's a beaut on the highway lol. Anyways I'm thinking of grabbing more digital games for the Xbox One, Child of Light & Strike Suit Zero and pretty much bitting my lip paying full price on them. They might become GwG offerings but that's not gonna help me unfortunately.

Edit: Sweet timing, update is ready for my system. This one's gotta be a hell of an update for me as it'll be it's last, for a while anyways.

I never used the beacons. But to be fair I mostly play single player games and usually have my status to appear off line so I don't get distracted by invites to stuff. If I'm wanting to play MP I'll arrange in advance with friends, or see if someone's playing first and start up that game and join in. I'm not much for switching games once I've started something else.

Favorites > beacons.

Easier to just choose who you want to see and then plan accordingly. Not be forced to see pop ups of dudes who wanted to play something months ago, that have no interest now, and are simply too lazy to update. Maybe some of the beacon fans here just have less lazier friends than I and it didn't get annoying for them. Maybe they could tweak it as mentioned where it makes more sense, but with favorites, I feel it's almost good enough.

Modest Oddity, I totally agree. Mark it on your calendars, folks- a White Sox fan and a Tigers fan agreeing on something! Doesn't happen often. ;-)

Haha. Division is close right now. Tigers love losing.
To stay on topic, feel free to add me guys. Just send me a quick message letting me know you're from CAG or whatever so I don't think it's a random person.

Modest Oddity is the tag!

Haha. Division is close right now. Tigers love losing.
To stay on topic, feel free to add me guys. Just send me a quick message letting me know you're from CAG or whatever so I don't think it's a random person.

Modest Oddity is the tag!
Sox just ended a 5 game losing streak so I kind of know how you feel. I'll add you next time I get on (didn't get on yesterday). My gamertag is "The Matt Young".

Why would they announce ryse 2 at e3 then cancel it
I hope its not true, but its not looking good. Plus I don't even remember them announcing it at e3. Hopefully Microsoft can step in and help them out. I would very much like to see a sequel to Ryse, but if Homefront is cancelled as well, I would be very disappointed.

I'm 99% sure they didn't announce anything at E3. It's just that Ryse 2 was one of the main games rumored to be showcased in the weeks leading up to E3.

I saw nothing about Ryse 2. I'm in no rush for a new one, but it'd be cool if we got a sequel eventually. Ryse was very limited and flawed but I had a good time with it.

Favorites > beacons.

Easier to just choose who you want to see and then plan accordingly. Not be forced to see pop ups of dudes who wanted to play something months ago, that have no interest now, and are simply too lazy to update. Maybe some of the beacon fans here just have less lazier friends than I and it didn't get annoying for them. Maybe they could tweak it as mentioned where it makes more sense, but with favorites, I feel it's almost good enough.
I agree. All it would take is something simple like all beacons expire after 1 or 2 weeks. Or better yet, let the player pick the length when creating a beacon, 3-day, 1-week, 2-week, etc.

just got july update double tap xbox button for snap app is fantastic and sweet to have achievements snapped easy to see what needs to be done to get it.

Does anyone know if the One still requires the one time internet connection for setup. As in, are the newer consoles shipping with an updated firmware that won't need that initial connection to download the new firmware?

The reason I ask is because I'm leaning toward using the best buy movers coupon tomorrow to pick up a One but since I just moved I don't have internet service yet and likely won't until next week. I'd rather not be stuck with a paperweight for a week until I get internet service.

Never read anything about a change to NOT needing the one-time internet connection, so my guess is you'd be sporting a pricey paperweight.

bread's done
Back