Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I have two questions - one, how reliable are third party wireless headsets for the Xbox One? I'm considering getting one and as I've never owned any sort of headset outside of the stock ones MS provided with their consoles I obviously have no experience with them.

Two, any recommendations for one with a budget of $100? I'm getting it primarily for audio (I'm wanting to do private recordings of certain games with commentary so I obviously can't have the thing blaring through the TV into my recording equipment) so I won't be chatting online. So something where the game is heard great and will have a strong connection to the game being wireless. Might be able to go up another twenty if there's something really worth the price. I'm getting it mostly to be able to hear the game and have something that won't have a faulty connection that will disconnect from time to time so that's why I really don't want to spend more than a hundred.

In search of a gaming headset for recording purposes as I can't obviously have my TV blaring when I'm trying to record onto my mic so I need a headset to listen to the game's audio. Will only need it for recording sessions when I need to mute the TV as otherwise I just listen from the TV as I don't play any games that require chat and don't intend to get any that will in the long run. Just saying that as chat functionality isn't huge for me. Anyway, I have no experience buying big name gaming brand headsets but see there's at least two going on sale for BF:

Wal-Mart has the Turtle Beach Recon 50P f

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Beach-Recon-50P-Gaming-Headset-PS4-Xbox-One-PC-Mobile/47069365

Best Buy has Turtle Beach Ear Force XO One

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/turtle-beach-ear-force-xo-one-wired-stereo-gaming-headset-for-xbox-one-black/8560025.p?skuId=8560025&ref=199&loc=FKSJxY2VJAk&acampID=1&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-kUlMdLEexSGn50hlHt7kGg

Either of these any good? My budget before I realized it was BF sales time was 100 bucks but if either of these meet my criteria might as well save money right. I just want the audio to be of good listening quality and something comfortable as I don't go for long periods of time playing things so maybe something I could be fine wearing for 2 hours max. As I said, chatting is irrelevant to me but I still want something from a good brand that will provide good enough audio to hear since I can't rely on my TV for recording reasons.

In search of a gaming headset for recording purposes as I can't obviously have my TV blaring when I'm trying to record onto my mic so I need a headset to listen to the game's audio. Will only need it for recording sessions when I need to mute the TV as otherwise I just listen from the TV as I don't play any games that require chat and don't intend to get any that will in the long run. Just saying that as chat functionality isn't huge for me. Anyway, I have no experience buying big name gaming brand headsets but see there's at least two going on sale for BF:

Wal-Mart has the Turtle Beach Recon 50P f

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Beach-Recon-50P-Gaming-Headset-PS4-Xbox-One-PC-Mobile/47069365

Best Buy has Turtle Beach Ear Force XO One

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/turtle-beach-ear-force-xo-one-wired-stereo-gaming-headset-for-xbox-one-black/8560025.p?skuId=8560025&ref=199&loc=FKSJxY2VJAk&acampID=1&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-kUlMdLEexSGn50hlHt7kGg

Either of these any good? My budget before I realized it was BF sales time was 100 bucks but if either of these meet my criteria might as well save money right. I just want the audio to be of good listening quality and something comfortable as I don't go for long periods of time playing things so maybe something I could be fine wearing for 2 hours max. As I said, chatting is irrelevant to me but I still want something from a good brand that will provide good enough audio to hear since I can't rely on my TV for recording reasons.
I got that Turtle Beach headset last year for Christmas and I'd recommend it. Game audio is great and its really comfortable.

If you're a bit of an audiophile like me and know spending a bit more on quality equipment goes a long way then I can't recommend Turtle Beach's Elite 800X more - I had two headsets before, trying to get good quality and a good price but they're both inadequate for me.

Hello just bought regular xbone with 500GB hard drive. After installing halo 5, forza Horizon 3, killer instinct, and Gears of War I'm up at 68% of hard drive space used.

I read on how I could use external hard drive to expand space. However, I would prefer not to spend more $ on theach xbox.

I did a swap hard drive swap on my ps4 to a Seagate 2tb hard drive. I managed to enclose the ps4's 500gb hard drive inside the Seagates casing.

My question is, can I use the original ps4 500gb hard drive enclosed in the Seagates casing as an external hard drive with the Xbox one? Do I need to format the hard drive through a laptop first? To what format?

This is the casing I saved the ps4's 500gb hard drive in.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-backup-plus-2tb-external-usb-3-0-2-0-portable-hard-drive-black/2944503.p?skuId=2944503

I don't see why you couldn't. However, if you have anything on that hard drive you want to keep, I'd back it up first. Once you plug it into your Xbox, it'll ask to reformat. At that point, you'll only be able to use it with the X1 (until you reformat again for something else).

I had nothing on the extra 500gb hard drive. I was able to use ps4 hard drive enclosed in Seagate case with the xbox.

I'm really surprised how people can game with only 500gb hard drive on the xbox.

Just noticed 3D Builder is in my ready to install section, but I keep getting an install error.  Anyone else having this problem?

Did anybody else get a Xbox Live message saying, "Looking for your purchase history? Check it out here: xbox.com/mypurchasehistory"
Kinda out of the blue.

I had nothing on the extra 500gb hard drive. I was able to use ps4 hard drive enclosed in Seagate case with the xbox.

I'm really surprised how people can game with only 500gb hard drive on the xbox.
Yeah, why they gave the thing such a small HDD knowing every game had to be installed beats me. I constantly shuffle shit now whenever patching, installing or downloading new things because of this. They said the reason for making us install everything manually was to speed up the loading in all games but I don't see a difference at all.

Good evening, everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I had an Xbox 360 and played the crap out of it. For this new generation, I decided to go with PS4 because I'm a huge Shenmue fan. However, one of my brothers decided he wanted an XB1, and I'll admit that whenever I became frustrated with my PS4, I thought to myself, "The 360 didn't have this problem!"

Anyway, I jumped on one of the XB1 S sales, but about 48 hours in I'm ready to throw my hands up. After performing the initial updates, which took about 30 minutes, I decided to toss in Dead Rising 4 only to find out that you can't actually play any games you buy right away but instead need to install them. A day later, with the game installed, I went to play--but lo and behold, there's a 12 GB update. Been chipping away at that for the past two hours but am only 20% in. 

I have several questions.

1) Is this typical for all games? Can you ever just toss a new game in and play, or must you always install and update?

2) Is there any way to speed up the updates? To speed up the install, I turned off the wifi and installed from the disc. The update itself still needs to come from the Internet.

3) The power modes are confusing. With the PS4, you have two options: OFF, or LOW POWER MODE, which downloads things while the system is ostensibly off. With the XB1, there are also two options: ENERGY SAVER, which sounds like a euphemism for "off," and Instant-On mode. However, if I select instant on mode, but then turn the console off, does it actually continue to download stuff? I thought that it would, yet when I turned on my system this morning, I found that the install progress hadn't actually moved. Is instant on just another euphemism or name for "leave your system on and walk away for a few hours while it updates"?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, everyone.

Yes, you'll have to install the games when you get them.  That's my personal biggest gripe with current-day gaming.  At least most games let you start playing while they're still installing.

I've heard that if you really want to speed things up:

Disconnect console from the Internet and then install the game disc.  Once the game is installed, play it while ofline if you must play now.  Otherwise, you'll have to jump back online to get the updates.

Yes, Instant-On should still be downloading your patches and games when the console is "off".  It works like the 360 did where if you have a queue of stuff, and you shut it down, it still finishes the downloads.  (It just doesn't have the blinking light the 360 did.)

Is your Internet speeds sufficient/good?  Maybe try a wired connection instead of wireless if you can?  (Unless that's what you were already using...)

At my home, my Xbox One actually downloads its updates faster than any of my other consoles.  I'm usually pretty happy with the download speeds.

OK, so I only have two games--Dead Rising 4 and Gears 4--but neither game was playable when I received the "ready to start" notice. I could load the main menu and stare at it, but that's all.

I did end up installing both games from the disc, offline, which took about half an hour. However, both needed updates--13 gigs for Dead Rising and 21 gigs for Gears. I have only five games on my Xbox: 3 XB1 games, 1 360 game, and 1 arcade game, but my 500 GB hard drive is already 35% full. I don't get it. I have at least 20 games installed on my 500 GB PS4 but I'm only at about 50% capacity.

Nintendo, I hope you're listening: design your system so that we can bring it home, plug it in, and play it. Design your games so that we can pop them in and be playing within 2 minutes!

Yes, you'll have to install the games when you get them. That's my personal biggest gripe with current-day gaming. At least most games let you start playing while they're still installing.

I've heard that if you really want to speed things up:

Disconnect console from the Internet and then install the game disc. Once the game is installed, play it while ofline if you must play now. Otherwise, you'll have to jump back online to get the updates.

OK, so I only have two games--Dead Rising 4 and Gears 4--but neither game was playable when I received the "ready to start" notice. I could load the main menu and stare at it, but that's all.

I did end up installing both games from the disc, offline, which took about half an hour. However, both needed updates--13 gigs for Dead Rising and 21 gigs for Gears. I have only five games on my Xbox: 3 XB1 games, 1 360 game, and 1 arcade game, but my 500 GB hard drive is already 35% full. I don't get it. I have at least 20 games installed on my 500 GB PS4 but I'm only at about 50% capacity.

Nintendo, I hope you're listening: design your system so that we can bring it home, plug it in, and play it. Design your games so that we can pop them in and be playing within 2 minutes!
This is when you need to thank the powers that be that you can slap an external drive on your XB1 and increase the storage space. I have a 4TB external HDD, 1TB external SSD and the internal 2TB on my XB1S and have more space than I know what to do with. I think I'm at 45% used on the SSD and 35-40% used on the external. Internal is free and clear.

My PS4, with its 2TB internal HDD, needs to have a purge done on it to clear up some free space. If I downloaded everything I had bought from PSN and installed every disc game I own, I'd be well past 2TB. Right now, this is the only way to go past 2TB in a PS4 without odd stuff like that Nyko DataBank or its homegrown equivalent:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G844OOO/

Only drive that is 9.5mm or thinner and greater than 2TB right now.

Achilles, have you taken a look over on some help videos on the console or Xbox.com?

https://support.xbox.com/en-us

It's often beneficial to not be hooked up to the Internet when installing games if you can help it. FYI you'll be screwed when you try to install Rare Replay from the disc as most of the installation comes from the online servers believe it or not. Big patches are a thing of modern gaming and yeah it's a pain in the ass.
The trick is to play another game or watch a video/websurf as you wait for the game installs/ updates or downloads.

Instant-On lets you continue where you left off and it'll continue to download your queue. It's prob my most used and favorite thing on modern gaming consoles. Make sure you have your settings all set.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/change-power-settings

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember downloading Mafia 3 and getting enough downloaded to where I can start to play. It loaded up to just a installing bar that took a few hours. From personal experience, it seems that games install quicker on the ps4. Meaning if you insert the same game into both systems, you'll be playing sooner on ps4. I haven't actually tested this but it seems faster.

Hey guys I wanted to ask a favor please let me know if your Xbox one S clicks or makes noise, when it's completely off. No insta on, just off. I just bought the green battlefield 1TB Xbox S. https://youtu.be/t0la8LMRDpk this is exactly the noise it makes. This is not my video but i wanted to share it because it explains what I'm talking about. The guy in the video says Microsoft told him it's a bad coil. But I wanted to see if this is a mass problem or just isolated to certain batch. The noise is very minimal and most people cannot hear it unless you put your ear near Xbox. Thanks

Seems my disc drive is crapping out.

Tried to pop in Diablo III that I got on clearance at Target and it won't load. Popped in Battlefront and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 and same thing. Multiple times and nothing. No errors, just the drive makes a few beeps and stops spinning.

GTA V, though, I've tried it twice and both times it's loaded fine. (I guess if one game works...) May try Halo 5 later, it's the last game I played on disc.

Guess I'll be picking up State of Decay 2 on digital.

Seems my disc drive is crapping out.

Tried to pop in Diablo III that I got on clearance at Target and it won't load. Popped in Battlefront and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 and same thing. Multiple times and nothing. No errors, just the drive makes a few beeps and stops spinning.

GTA V, though, I've tried it twice and both times it's loaded fine. (I guess if one game works...) May try Halo 5 later, it's the last game I played on disc.

Guess I'll be picking up State of Decay 2 on digital.
Try cleaning the rollers. I used a q tip with alcohol on mine. Shove it in the drive do it trips the sensor and wipe it back and forth across the rollers as they move. Now my discs load fine. From what I've read the rollers get dirty and won't pull the disc in far enough to seat it properly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ahh, FYI March Update is out. It adds a revised UI (taking away the current game being windowed to increase performance on the home screen), beam support built in, achievement tracker PiP, & a co-pilot control option thingie.
https://youtu.be/XAEnlFzMGhU

I know this probably a crystal ball question but based on their history for anyone who has done their trade-in programs on new consoles, do you think Gamestop will have their best trade-in deals for an Xbox One for the Scorpio when it first launches or should you likely be able to get some kind of decent trade-in incentive for it within the first 6 months of its release? I'm not sure I'll be financially stable at the time of the Scorpio's launch plus I always prefer to hold out on getting first release consoles anyway but if the best trade-in deals are when they first launch or any deals for doing it at all take place then might have to.

I wouldn't even bother trading it in, the OG Xbox Ones are going to have a very low resale value with GameStop most likely.

I went back home this past weekend to visit family and dusted off my old consoles from storage (PS3, 360, Wii and PSP). Looking through my old gaming library I was reminded of how awesome that generation was. Some classics I want to replay are Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Vanquish, Bayonetta and lots more. 

New stuff in the latest UI update coming soon, out for preview members. What do you think?
Im in the preview and got the new UI for a week now. Like everything new took some time to get use to but it's nice. Also seems to be alittle faster and easier to move around. I wish I had known bout the bulk move cause I just moved 4.4TB from one HD to another the other day. That would have saved me so much time!

Sorry if this is against the rules, I normally don't ask for codes and I know it's a long shot but I'm looking for a Dead Rising 3 tribute pack dlc code that came with the day one edition

Someone explain to me why you can't upgrade the Xbox One's internal hard drive?  Connecting an external hard drive is a decent compromise, just seems like more clutter to me.  Would have loved to see what a solid state hard drive in an Xbox One could do.

Most likely to work with not voiding your warranty opening up the case and having the possibility of customers messing up their xboxes compared to just adding a new hard drive via USB. If you have a 8TB HDD in both USB slots you can have up to 16TB of storage. I think you're good there. I've heard of people putting a SSD HDD in an inclosure via ext HDD solution. Haven't looked into that as I'm sitting pretty with a 6TB HDD with plenty of space now.

Someone explain to me why you can't upgrade the Xbox One's internal hard drive? Connecting an external hard drive is a decent compromise, just seems like more clutter to me. Would have loved to see what a solid state hard drive in an Xbox One could do.
Who knows. Probably the same reason you cant safe mode boot the system or factory reset the system unless its on the most current system OS.

Someone explain to me why you can't upgrade the Xbox One's internal hard drive? Connecting an external hard drive is a decent compromise, just seems like more clutter to me. Would have loved to see what a solid state hard drive in an Xbox One could do.
This is a little late but I have seen people claim being able to change the internal. You just void your warranty.

Also, there’s a reddit thread comparing SSD performance vs. standard on the X1X. The gains for SSD didn’t seem worth it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/7e1v68/i_just_swapped_my_xbox_one_x_internal_hdd_for_an/

I am hoping this is a common thing but want to make sure it is before I advance.

I just bought Assassins Creed Origins and when I place it in my Xbox the title shows up as Assassins Creed: Nctokn (the N’s are reversed). Once I start to install it, the weird word becomes origins. I am assuming the weird word is just origins in another language, but it is weird they would do that.[attachment=28883:C7EE3FFA-275C-4634-BFB2-496C1AA67F32.jpeg]

Anyone offchance know what kind of trade-ins Xbox 360s go for these days at places like Lamestop? Or how much you can sell them for on eBay? Regarding the latter I know how to filter the searches to see the latest selling rates but I'm more interested in what kind of price I can slap on one to get it sold immediately aka a good cheap price. It's the original 360 that had an internal HDD and you couldn't swap it out for another like the newer ones.

There's no way PUBG requires 6TFLOPs to unlock it's graphical prowess. There's almost little to no difference playing it in 4K on the One S.

I am hoping that someone here might be able to help me. I have been experiencing a very weird problem with my XBox One X. This problem started a few months ago (probably around the beginning of September). Let me state beforehand that I really only play one game, which is Destiny 2. When this problem began surfacing, it was always saved to the internal hard drive. I noticed the problem starting with intermittent sound drop offs while I was playing Destiny 2. Eventually, if the sound drop off did not rectify itself, the game would freeze. I would be able to quit the game and restart it, but eventually the issue would reoccur. At one point, I decided to completely delete all Destiny 2 content from my hard drive and do a reinstall. This reinstall, for some reason, took over 8 hours, and I still encountered the same problem. A few days after that problem started, I would get an issue when I was playing where the game would stop, and I would get a pop-up that said "Problem reading Destiny 2 content. Please restart the game." Sometimes I could play the game for hours without encountering this message; sometimes it would not even make it to the character selection screen. If I did not immediately hit the Home button and quit Destiny to the main XBox menu, the game would freeze and upon trying to restart the game would force a reinstall, which would again take several hours to complete. While the game would be reinstalling, my XBox would pretty much be useless. I couldn't move anything. The menu would freeze, be slow or just unresponsive. I would try to do hard restarts on the XBox to see if that would help. Sometimes the XBox would turn on, and I would just get a gray screen. Then, I would have to hard reset again. Sometimes the XBox would turn on, and within a few seconds, it would just turn itself off again. I would then unplug the XBox, wait a few minutes, and try again. Yet, I would still encounter slow or frozen menus. I tried all of the YouTube/internet fixes like clearing the cache and deleting locally saved games. None of these fixes seemed to help. I even tried installing Destiny 2 offline first and then going online to download all of the updates separately to see if this would solve any of the problems, which, again, it did not.

I finally decided to try and reinstall the game to an external hard drive, and like a miracle, this seemed to solve all issues. Everything was fine for a few weeks until Christmas when my son got Overwatch. When we went to install it, the system automatically tried to install to the internal hard drive. All of the previous menu freezes, gray screens, and other issues returned again. Once we put the game on the external hard drive, again like a miracle, everything seemed to clear up. In the time being, my wife purchased me a new XBox One X for Christmas. Since it is such an expensive system/gift, I am reluctant to just open the new one and dispose of the old one. I looked everywhere online but this problem does not seem to have been documented by anyone else. I really don't want to keep the old one and be dependent on an external hard drive if there is something internally wrong with it. Again, I don't want to give up on it either if it can be remedied.

These are things that might or might not be relevant to this issue, but I figured we would go with full disclosure to see if someone could help me.

*Both Destiny 2 and Overwatch were disc-based games and not digital downloads.

*My console is hard-wired to the internet with a Verizon Fios 100/100 connection, with which we have absolutely no issues.

*On my original XBox One, I was a member of the XBox preview program, but it did not seem like that transferred over to the XBox One X system.

*My wife is making mention that I inadvertently stored a Weight Watchers digital scale on the shelf below the XBox One X shelf. The concern in me mentioning that is whether the scale has a magnet that emits some sort of force. The scale was removed from the shelf around the same time I downloaded Destiny 2 to the external hard drive. So my wife is convinced that this was the true cause of the problem. The scale was no longer anywhere near the XBox One X when Overwatch crashed upon the attempt to install it. However, in all of her "expert" knowledge about scales and XBox systems, she feels that the scale fried the internal hard drive.

I apologize for the long-winded question/situation, but I am hopeful that one of you can lend your expertise to our problem to help and solve it.

@ajh2298, that's quite a lot of info there. Gonna be honest it can be a numebr of issues. I, personally have had issues that were caused by a bad Internet cable and simply changing it for a new one or connecting by wifi solved the issue. I have also had issues where my internet looked and ran great for everything connected to it except my console (console draws a lot of data so it can be a sign that the internet could be the issue). The last time I had issue where Destiny 2 would give me similar issues as you I ended up having to get my ISP to swap me out a new modem and it solved my issue. It could also be that the console itself is having issues. If you have a warranty I would bring it in ASAP and exchange. If not, I would suggest Microsoft customer support. I hope it's an easy fix for you either way. Good luck.

Customized and ordered this from Microsoft. Pretty cool I think, I almost made the bumbers white colored. I think it would've looked nicer that way TBH. What do you guys think of it?

wUBpYPu.jpg
CM4s1zo.jpg
ONt9PwG.jpg

This might be a dumb question but I’ll ask anyway.

Is there a reason my Ultimate Xbox Live subscription won’t transfer over to my sons Xbox One? I have his console set as the home console and it seems he is able to share the Xbox live gold with no issues. I even made my console the home console again before switching it back to his thinking it would carry over but it did not. I went as far as trying to purchase the $1 Ultimate straight from his console but it over gave him one month at $1 and it clearly says the next month will be $14.99. If anyone can give me a answer or point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It should work exactly like Gold sharing. If your account is set to his console being the home console, that should be it. He doesn't need to purchase anything on his account. He would have access to your games library, to Gold, and to Game Pass.

bread's done
Back