Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Xbox One S 500GB for $299.99 comes out 8/23 with Halo 5 (disc) and Halo MCC (digital) included

There's also a Madden 17 S 1 TB for $349.99 that comes with the digital Madden game and 1 month of EA Access as well on 8/23.

I don't get why the Madden one wouldn't release earlier so the consumer could take advantage of the EA Access early play. Unless my dates are incorrect. 

So is there anyway to gift my credits that are already on my account or gift games to someone else?
No. This has been a requested feature since back in the 360 days, but no signs if they'll eventually allow it. I personally think it's a good idea. Being able to buy games for others would be nice around birthday/xmas times.

You can buy a digital code for any amount of Money from gamestop and share that with a friend, For example I wanted to buy a game that was on sale for like $2.50 for someone so I bought a code for $3 from gamestop and gave the code to them and told them what game to get.

As stated in the XBL Deals thread, some games have a boost in frame rate with the new Xbox One S.

Watch the videos of Digital Foundry for more info:

Xbox One S Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OikjJPr-jM4

Xbox One S GPU Overclock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju5cTcrWy4E

And If you wanted to know about Teraflops, they have a good video on that too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfTpJFxVjec

I can't wait for that Gears 4 Xbox One S to come down in price.

Loving my One S. Man, how i wished this was the actual launch unit back then. Things might have been a little different.

Can anyone confirm if the chat pad works with the new one s controlleR?

Updated my system and loving the background music. The updated UI is like such a small change but goes a long way. Nice to see download speed now, as well as all the multiple games that can be scaled out.

Anyone else hate the addition of Cortana? (If anyone has Kinect). The old voice commands were so simple and the system easily understood them and worked 95% of the time. Cortana isn't very good, works about half the time on first try. Ooooof

Cortana honestly works better than the standard voice commands, it just takes longer to process.

They give you the option for both at least.

I'm trying to force myself to use Cortana but I may just wind up turning it off. You guys not in preview should have seen how slow it was before the public launch. That shit was traaaaaash. Makes current Cortana look like...well, the old XBox voice commands by comparison.

I'm trying to force myself to use Cortana but I may just wind up turning it off. You guys not in preview should have seen how slow it was before the public launch. That shit was traaaaaash. Makes current Cortana look like...well, the old XBox voice commands by comparison.
Slow? So you're saying you actually got it to work in preview?...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I hated Cortana.  My biggest gripe, aside from just being annoying, was with recording clips, especially in Rocket League.  "Cortana record that" would cause the game's framerate to tank and stutter for over a minute, which is bad when you're in the middle of an online match.

As soon as the update went live, I deactivated her.

I hated Cortana. My biggest gripe, aside from just being annoying, was with recording clips, especially in Rocket League. "Cortana record that" would cause the game's framerate to tank and stutter for over a minute, which is bad when you're in the middle of an online match.

As soon as the update went live, I deactivated her.
That's because she replicates herself over and over, which I'd assume takes up some CPU. :p

speaking of which, my free kinect adapter arrived today. I was looking forward to connecting my Kinect back up but wasn't expecting such a big cable not to mention another power source needed.

Hey, just got my 2TB S and really enjoying getting back into One after a hiatus. So with everything that's come out in the past year what do I spend all my gaming time with after a big break? Pac-Mac 256. Of course.

I was really looking forward to background music, but I can't find any services I will actually bother with yet? Am I missing something? I don't want to sign up with Groove or have to plug in a USB drive. What else is there? I've read a lot about Pandora, but I can't download the new app without errors. Anyone have any tips? I'm in the Preview program. I love Spotify so of course Sony has whatever exclusive BS they have with that. It's great on my PS4 - would love it on my One.

Guyver, you got the Kinect cable? I've been procrastinating on requesting one from MS. Was it easy enough? That absolutely bites that it actually needs an extra power supply? Awful.

Love how quiet and snappy the S is, though.

P.S. Please add me to your friends list. I like to feel like someone else is actually up doing the same thing when I sign on at crazy hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two quick questions.

First, how much does MS charge if you send a One in for a drive replacement and secondly do they accept consoles that have been opened before.

My GF's One had basically a dead drive so we bought a new one and replaced it ourselves. Now this drive seems to be dead so I am looking into either sending it in or having her save up for a slim. Does anyone know how much they charge for this and is it even worth the hassle?

Thanks.

Two quick questions.

First, how much does MS charge if you send a One in for a drive replacement and secondly do they accept consoles that have been opened before.

My GF's One had basically a dead drive so we bought a new one and replaced it ourselves. Now this drive seems to be dead so I am looking into either sending it in or having her save up for a slim. Does anyone know how much they charge for this and is it even worth the hassle?

Thanks.
Did the replacement drive work at all?

I'm just curious since the 360 drives had to have a couple things dune before they'd work. They weren't a plug and play swap.

Over on the XBL Deals thread the addition of the system making a sound either being turned on by the system button or controller and tweaking its settings are shown and discussed.

You can now modify when you hear the startup chime! You’ll find three new options in Settings > Power & startup > Power mode & startup.
  • On (startup chime plays anytime the console is powered on).
  • Only with power button or voice (startup chime plays when console is powered on via the power button or voice; does not play when powered on with the controller).
  • Off (startup chime never plays).
I noticed this as well.

Did the replacement drive work at all?

I'm just curious since the 360 drives had to have a couple things dune before they'd work. They weren't a plug and play swap.
The drive worked for like 6-7 months. Then that drive took a crap on me. Don't really want to get a new drive for the system but I will look at my options.

I tried the BF1 beta today. Yep, it's Battlefield with 64 player maps. It's not bad by any stretch but it's Battlefield. You know what's coming.

Has anyone ever had games not show up in the my games section on Xbox.com? It seems like every game I have after the windows store merge except for code redemptions are missing. If I manually go to the games store page it does show I own them. It seems to only be affecting my Xbox one game list not my 360. The games show up in my order history fine. Is there a 6 page limit to the my game section and after that it only shows the most recent game you got?

Has anyone ever had games not show up in the my games section on Xbox.com? It seems like every game I have after the windows store merge except for code redemptions are missing. If I manually go to the games store page it does show I own them. It seems to only be affecting my Xbox one game list not my 360. The games show up in my order history fine. Is there a 6 page limit to the my game section and after that it only shows the most recent game you got?
Are they showing up under the Ready to Install list? Maybe your Xbox isn't doing the automatic download; I know mine doesn't always want to.

Are they showing up under the Ready to Install list? Maybe your Xbox isn't doing the automatic download; I know mine doesn't always want to.
They do show up there and auto install. The only reason I am worried is if they don't show up on the Xbox.com my game section I am worried it's not seeing me as owning the game. It does show that I own them on my Xbox one system. After the window store merge I started getting my receipts to my old email address. The old email address has another live account attached to it now and the purchases don't show in it as they do in my main account. So I know it's being attached to my main account. Xbox support was really no help. When I buy via PayPal it goes to the correct email but account credit is locked it seems to my old email and address. I was hoping the max page count in my games was 6 but I'm thinking it's just glitched.

so far so good for xbox play anywhere. (huge improvement over the quantum break redeeming process)

recore ofcourse has been preloaded on my xbox for a bit but I have the PC version installing as well now.

They do show up there and auto install. The only reason I am worried is if they don't show up on the Xbox.com my game section I am worried it's not seeing me as owning the game. It does show that I own them on my Xbox one system. After the window store merge I started getting my receipts to my old email address. The old email address has another live account attached to it now and the purchases don't show in it as they do in my main account. So I know it's being attached to my main account. Xbox support was really no help. When I buy via PayPal it goes to the correct email but account credit is locked it seems to my old email and address. I was hoping the max page count in my games was 6 but I'm thinking it's just glitched.
Sounds like your system is registered to your old account? This would explain why you can see the purchases on there but not on the relevant account. When purchasing via PayPal the PayPal receipt would go to whatever email address you have associated with your PayPal account. Based on what you've said so far I can't think of another explanation. You could log into your old account on Xbox.com and see if the associated purchases are showing up there just to confirm.

Sounds like your system is registered to your old account? This would explain why you can see the purchases on there but not on the relevant account. When purchasing via PayPal the PayPal receipt would go to whatever email address you have associated with your PayPal account. Based on what you've said so far I can't think of another explanation. You could log into your old account on Xbox.com and see if the associated purchases are showing up there just to confirm.

Thanks I will check that out tonight.

I figured it out when the store merged now all games show up in the windows 10 section. You go to the windows store from your pc and then my library. The xbox.com website has not yet up been updated to show that section. 

Does anyone here have recommendations for a good headset that won't make my eyes bulge when I see the price? I'd like something that I can use for the Xbox One, have stereo audio so I can play without bothering others, and would prefer a detachable mic. Thoughts?

Does anyone here have recommendations for a good headset that won't make my eyes bulge when I see the price? I'd like something that I can use for the Xbox One, have stereo audio so I can play without bothering others, and would prefer a detachable mic. Thoughts?
I've had the official Microsoft one for a few months and have had no issues.

Does anyone have recommendations on a top quality HDD for the Xbox One? I was under the assumption the Scorpio was coming out in the next few months but that's 2017 apparently. I'm in need of a new HDD as my current Xbox is filled with stuff and I can't keep deleting and reinstalling stuff anymore with the backlog I have accumulated and with what I need to keep on it. I was thinking of just getting an S in the meantime but I see I just missed the trade-in console deals Gamestop had for it so I'd rather just get a bigger HDD at this point unless anyone here knows of a place that will be offering another trade-in deal involving the S that will happen within the next month or two.

I don't think I'll need 1TB but just gonna say I'll go for that size anyway just in case. I'm not in desperate need of the space at the moment so if you think there's a chance a retailer will bring back another "trade in your One for an S" within the next couple months like I said I can wait for one of those and get a new console with a bigger HDD at the same time. If not not concerned about getting something cheap, just want something solid and dependable that will work great with the One.

Does anyone have recommendations on a top quality HDD for the Xbox One? I was under the assumption the Scorpio was coming out in the next few months but that's 2017 apparently. I'm in need of a new HDD as my current Xbox is filled with stuff and I can't keep deleting and reinstalling stuff anymore with the backlog I have accumulated and with what I need to keep on it. I was thinking of just getting an S in the meantime but I see I just missed the trade-in console deals Gamestop had for it so I'd rather just get a bigger HDD at this point unless anyone here knows of a place that will be offering another trade-in deal involving the S that will happen within the next month or two.

I don't think I'll need 1TB but just gonna say I'll go for that size anyway just in case. I'm not in desperate need of the space at the moment so if you think there's a chance a retailer will bring back another "trade in your One for an S" within the next couple months like I said I can wait for one of those and get a new console with a bigger HDD at the same time. If not not concerned about getting something cheap, just want something solid and dependable that will work great with the One.
I would agree with the above poster's recommendation, but I would also point out that I think the better route is to get the least expensive Xbone (500?) and then get an external (or just use the external you have already purchased). Buying a console with a larger harddrive is just wasted money IMHO. The resale value doesn't dramatically change, and if it breaks (or when you get the Scorpio) then your money is gone.

Getting an external harddrive means just that - you have an external harddrive. You can bring it with you, or completely re purpose it for something else. Comparing the cost ($100 more for 1.5TB vs $115 more for 4TB that you can use for other applications) is a no brainer.

Yeah I'd say everyone would tell you the WD 4TB external is what they have, me included.

I would agree with the above poster's recommendation, but I would also point out that I think the better route is to get the least expensive Xbone (500?) and then get an external (or just use the external you have already purchased). Buying a console with a larger harddrive is just wasted money IMHO. The resale value doesn't dramatically change, and if it breaks (or when you get the Scorpio) then your money is gone.

Getting an external harddrive means just that - you have an external harddrive. You can bring it with you, or completely re purpose it for something else. Comparing the cost ($100 more for 1.5TB vs $115 more for 4TB that you can use for other applications) is a no brainer.
Thanks for the input, both of you.

I agree with you on the external/new console, an external was always my first choice. I just thought on the offchance I can find a good trade in deal (like Gamestop was doing a few weeks ago that I missed) I would just pay the extra 40-50 and get a newer console. With what you would pay after the trade I think it was like 100 bucks leftover so comparing it to the price of a good external HDD 40-50 difference seems to be in that ballpark.

4TB WD My Book is what I've been using on my XB1 for almost two years, works great, fast drive.

I also have a 500GB SSD in an external enclosure on my XB1 for games I play regularly as well as games that seem to benefit from a SSD (Halo MCC, TWD, DA: I, from what I've seen), though I wouldn't recommend someone spend $500+ to get a 2TB SSD + enclosure on their XB1. 

I did get a 2TB XB1S from the current Target deal, mainly since I didn't want the Madden 1TB model nor the 500GB MCC + H5 model.  Only reason to get a larger internal HDD on an XB1/XB1S is for resale value.  GS won't care about the system's internal HDD size on trade-in, nor Best Buy, so only worry about internal HDD size if you're worried about later resale value. 

Getting a MCC + Halo 5 Xbone S bundle tomorrow, since I got a GameStop $50 off coupon. Gonna grab Forza Horizon 3 for my free game.

Anything else I should think about picking up?

Tell me if this is bad or not but now my external isn't turning off after my Xbox turns off, and no I don't have background downloads enabled, so I've decided to unplug it at night. Which haha was a bit of a surprise in the morning when I totally forgot I did that and there were no downloads in my queue and it said there's 6.8 GB free left on my hard drive. I'm like ahh *scratch head* whaaaatt? I've got the 4TB WD My Book.

Tell me if this is bad or not but now my external isn't turning off after my Xbox turns off, and no I don't have background downloads enabled, so I've decided to unplug it at night. Which haha was a bit of a surprise in the morning when I totally forgot I did that and there were no downloads in my queue and it said there's 6.8 GB free left on my hard drive. I'm like ahh *scratch head* whaaaatt? I've got the 4TB WD My Book.
If your Xbox is on Instant On it will keep supplying power to the External at all times. Same goes for a pc a s long as the power switch feeding the board is on any external will keep humming along. So just to be safe don't disconnect it when using Instant On. If you are not sing instant on then I dunno how the external would get power.

Also just cause this seems like the place to ask. How much do you guys think a Xbox One 500GB with MCC included should sell for?

If your Xbox is on Instant On it will keep supplying power to the External at all times. Same goes for a pc a s long as the power switch feeding the board is on any external will keep humming along. So just to be safe don't disconnect it when using Instant On. If you are not sing instant on then I dunno how the external would get power.

Also just cause this seems like the place to ask. How much do you guys think a Xbox One 500GB with MCC included should sell for?
Hmm, that makes sense but it's odd this didn't happen before. Maybe it was something they changed on an update. I don't want to have to turn off Instant On as that's one of my favorites about the Xbox One.

So Gears 4 XBOX One S console unboxing videos have been hitting Youtube, and while I've seen a few, no one seem to acknowledge the code card.  

I'm wondering if the extras come in a separate code, or if they're all bundled into one code.   Anyone here know?

Since there's no dedicated thread for it: who's playing Gears 4? I picked up my copy yesterday and am loving it thus far.

EDIT: Linkin, just saw your post. The 4 codes for the old Gears games are printed on a card inside the case, if that's what you meant.

Since there's no dedicated thread for it: who's playing Gears 4? I picked up my copy yesterday and am loving it thus far.

EDIT: Linkin, just saw your post. The 4 codes for the old Gears games are printed on a card inside the case, if that's what you meant.
I am!

I think he was asking if they're all in one code or if there are 4 separate codes. Given that the game itself has the separate codes, I'd image the console does as well.

So Gears 4 XBOX One S console unboxing videos have been hitting Youtube, and while I've seen a few, no one seem to acknowledge the code card.

I'm wondering if the extras come in a separate code, or if they're all bundled into one code. Anyone here know?
Not sure exactly what you're looking to find out but I just got mine today as my first Xbox One.

It came with all the standard things, console, cords, etc.

But as far as the code I received a Gears of War 4 digital download code and an Xbox Gold Live 14-day trial.

This is also the 1TB non-limited edition white Xbox One S for 349.99.

bread's done
Back