Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I can't wait to play DR3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEn3QIzQcFA

Wait... Is a post about the X1 still allowed?

The guy is pretty reliable and is rumored to be a Microsoft insider. Not everything is correct but check his pre E3 post and post #23 for translation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581089

The guy is a legend at Neogaf for a reason.
Because only at a cesspool of idiocy like neoGAF would a guy who stabs his own employer in the back repeatedly, regularly, and willfully be raised to the level of hero.

WV relax. Sony will fuck something up soon enough and I encourage you to jump all over them when they do. Personally I think a Kinectless Xbox One would be a good thing if it happens since they can drop the price and people who have no interest in Kinect, but like Xbox, will end up picking one up at some point. It's really what they should have just done from the beginning imo (offer the choice).

I don't know why a a optional Kinect sku later would be considered a bad thing. That would definitely allow Microsoft more breathing room to price the Xbox one cheaper than the PS4. They might even be able to price it at $299, that would take Sony to town right away.
They'd likely make more with the kinect's targeted advertising than the $20 profit (or whatever) from selling a $300 version.

All WV does is try to start arguments with people. Every single thing that's posted that isn't essentially "Microsoft can do no wrong. Xbox one is the most awesome thing ever and will be shipped with the Kinect", WV flips out.
The ignore feature works wonders. More people should use it. The thread is much more tolerable.

this. unlike jump from xbox to 360 this jump will not be great like people think.
I want it for the new games. I'm giving developers two years max before PS4 and XB1 games really start to come out to the point where little is released for the 360/PS3. We will probably get a few swan songs similiar to Persona 4 in terms of quality. I'm looking at Lords of Shadow 2 and Dark Souls 2 next year but everything else I want is on the XB1. It's not always about graphics. The microsoft experiences (imho of course) are better then the Sony ones. I *WANT* Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Killer Instinct and the new Halo game once they are out. It's been 8 years since we saw a new gen so I'm kinda getting tired of waiting. I'll pay the extra $100 for a Kinect I may or may not use, but I'm going to give it a better try this gen with all the improvements.

Also I skipped PS3 last gen, but with Gekai I plan on getting a PS4 in 2-3 years and playing the big games I missed (Uncharted 3 as I beat Uncharted 2 at a friends, all the God of War Games and The Last of Us).

Last edited by a moderator:
I want it for the new games. I'm giving developers two years max before PS4 and XB1 games really start to come out to the point where little is released for the 360/PS3. We will probably get a few swan songs similiar to Persona 4 in terms of quality. I'm looking at Lords of Shadow 2 and Dark Souls 2 next year but everything else I want is on the XB1. It's not always about graphics. The microsoft experiences (imho of course) are better then the Sony ones. I *WANT* Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Killer Instinct and the new Halo game once they are out. It's been 8 years since we saw a new gen so I'm kinda getting tired of waiting. I'll pay the extra $100 for a Kinect I may or may not use, but I'm going to give it a better try this gen with all the improvements.

Also I skipped PS3 last gen, but with Gekai I plan on getting a PS4 in 2-3 years and playing the big games I missed (Uncharted 3 as I beat Uncharted 2 at a friends, all the God of War Games and The Last of Us).
I doubt there will be much of anything released for the 360 after this year. You'll need to move on to one of the other consoles for new games.

I doubt there will be much of anything released for the 360 after this year. You'll need to move on to one of the other consoles for new games.
I wouldn't be so certain of that. Developers seem excited about the new hardware. But publishers are going to lean hard on the legacy systems for sales for several more years. Honestly, I would say that even two years is underestimating how much longer the 360 and PS3 will last. Unless consumers abandon those consoles wholesale, publishers will insist on porting game to them. It is easy to see why. The current consoles have a much larger and more stable install base.

I'd say we have at least two years of solid support left on current gen, both Sony & MS have repeatedly said they abandoned their last systems too early. Hell the PS2 just stopped being made this year because it continued to sell incredibly well long after the PS3 came out.

Most games never enjoy more than 50% sales on a given platform. That is to say, no more than half of the people who own the platform will buy a given game. It's very rare for that ratio to ever be higher.

Even in the best-case scenario, the PS4 and XBox One probably won't have anymore than 5 million sales each by the end of 2014. Any game released exclusively on either platform can expect no more than 2.5 million sales. If the same game is released on the 360 and/or the PS3, it's chances of gaining positive sales leaps up dramatically. Each of those consoles has close to a 70 million unit install base, and could easily have more to come.

Most of the next-gen exclusives are going to be limited to experimental or prestige titles that don't require as much financial investment.

Wait... Is a post about the X1 still allowed?
You're funny. I think you need to read back over the last day of posts here. You're coming off as extra MS can do no wrong lately, did they increase your salary? People were only trying to discuss the system and they weren't even being overly negative and you flip out about this thread being derailed when you are the only one doing any of the derailing. Others were just talking about some rumors.

Hey WV, is it okay if I post this? It is a rumor, after all. This one is good though, so you'll probably allow it.

Microsoft has signed a landmark deal to bundle a "major third-party title" free with every Xbox One launch system across Europe, CVG understands.

Each new Xbox One console sold in Europe (and perhaps the US) will come free with the title that alone will retail at £40 or higher, in an attempt to kick away at the £80 premium Xbox One has over Sony's PS4.

A source with knowledge of the deal, who wished to remain anonymous, said the developments were part of Microsoft's goal of adding value to its system without lowering its £429 release day price.

The specific game set to be bundled with Xbox One launch systems was not named, although it's understood to be a "major" Christmas release.
Striking a deal of this magnitude is thought to have cost Microsoft further millions in budget as it prepares to launch its next-generation Xbox around the world.

This major game, the source said, is the "unique Xbox One exclusive" that Microsoft executive Phil Spencer said was being saved for a Gamescom announcement.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655483

I bet the free game is only for Day One edition only. So people might want to keep their Day One achievement code since that might be your token to get your free game. This is just my speculation only, we'll find out tomorrow.

Nah I really don't think so, the only reason they'd throw in a free game is to try and help pre-orders and/or sales when it actually comes out. Sweetening the pot for people who already pre-ordered it isn't going to help that any.

Dear lord I hope they update the license transfer system for the X1.  I finally switched out my jet-engine phat Elite for a Slim last night, and after the 5ish hours it took for the HDD data to transfer I had to spend a total of nine fucking hours redownloading all of my important DLC to reset the license.  Nine.  fucking.  Hours.  I didn't even redownload everything...only the stuff I knew I would want to use in the next year or so.  Plus I was adding them to my queue through the website, which was infinitely faster than using the DL list in the Settings menu.  Stupid Rock Band/Lips single song downloads.

Home Gold can't come soon enough.

ugupe8uz.jpg

no way that happens. so many games coming out in 2014 are on 360 and xbox one. you think companys will lose the money they can get from ps3 and 360 lol like someone said before you will not see a decline in games on 360 for at least 2 years

no way that happens. so many games coming out in 2014 are on 360 and xbox one. you think companys will lose the money they can get from ps3 and 360 lol like someone said before you will not see a decline in games on 360 for at least 2 years

Like Titanfall...

We get it WV, the Xbox One is the greatest console of all time.

What now I can't post new info released today?

Back off...

Yeah that "most cinematic action game" quote about Ryse keeps me pretty doubtful of the quality. Not too mention videos like this specifically titled "What's wrong with Ryse: Son of Rome". And there was also an article with the developers talking about the combat and proudly stating it was essentially little more than button mashing. "Mashing to mastery" it was called. Combat can be accessible without it being dull button mashing. Admittedly the only Xbox One game I have any interest in is Titanfall but I'm betting unless that thing has insane legs the MP will be a empty wasteland by the time I got the system. And I'm not seeing one single game on either system that makes it worth getting in the first few months, maybe not even the first year depending on how games like The Order or Sunset Overdrive actually turn out. If I'm getting a next-gen system for third-party titles, there is no motivation whatsoever to pay more money for an Xbox One first unless it provides a vastly superior interface and online experience. Will it be better? There's a good chance. Vastly superior, matter of opinion but probably not.

And there was also an article with the developers talking about the combat and proudly stating it was essentially little more than button mashing. "Mashing to mastery" it was called.
This is the quote you're talking about:

One of the things we talk a lot about is ‘mashing to mastery’, we allow the low-level player to get in and mash and not really be a skilled player.

However, skilled players, through the Perks and there advancement, will have a number of opportunities to really take advantage of that and show their mastery.

Again, it’s not unlike Batman: Arkham City or Ninja Gaiden, where the true player or masters show it very quickly through their abilities.

That's a pretty flawed comparison, you cannot simply button mash in the Arkham games and especially not in Ninja Gaiden. You won't get very far.

That's a pretty flawed comparison, you cannot simply button mash in the Arkham games and especially not in Ninja Gaiden. You won't get very far.

I don't know how you can say it is not like Arkham when you haven't played Ryse...

I'm not the one making comparisons, it's the developers themselves calling it button-mashing and then saying it's like Arkham, which is not button-mashing and Ninja Gaiden, which is generally one of the most hardcore action games out there, you wouldn't make it through the first level of that game relying on button-mashing.

I'm not the one making comparisons, it's the developers themselves calling it button-mashing and then saying it's like Arkham, which is not button-mashing and Ninja Gaiden, which is generally one of the most hardcore action games out there, you wouldn't make it through the first level of that game relying on button-mashing.
Arkham seems like a great comparison actually. All you gotta do is button mash and counter, same with assassin creed games.

Casauls could get through Arkham City with basic stuff and more advanced players would build up combo's and use advanced techniques. Ryse will be similar.

Well I don't want to get too off-topic and I guess it's matter of opinion but in my opinion the Batman games, especially Arkham city there were enough snipers and heavily armed thugs that simply button-mashing was not an option. I'm not saying the combat was complex or hard, it's not. But that just exemplifies the whole combat can be accessible without being a dull button masher thing I was saying previously.

Well I don't want to get too off-topic and I guess it's matter of opinion but in my opinion the Batman games, especially Arkham city there were enough snipers and heavily armed thugs that simply button-mashing was not an option. I'm not saying the combat was complex or hard, it's not. But that just exemplifies the whole combat can be accessible without being a dull button masher thing I was saying previously.

I agree with that but I don't understand how you can say that Ryse will not have that when you have only seen one very small section of gameplay. There is also a video floating around (have to find it) that shows that you can go completely through a fight without using the QTEs. Need to find that.

I'm not basing it on any video, I'm basing on things the developers actually said in interviews (not to mention impressions of people who played it, the gamesradar guys tore it apart in one podcast), like the one in particular mentioned where they essentially say you can just mash your way through it, but don't really explain the so-called nuances of the combat. And I'm not completely dismissing it, I just have doubts, which based on most of what we've seen so far is a perfectly valid opinion.

I don't know how you can say it is not like Arkham when you haven't played Ryse...
It's always safer to assume that a game will be disappointing. This is doubly true for launch-exclusive software. You will be much safer assuming that Ryse will be disappointing.

What usually happens with this sort of title is that it gets a bit of a critical boost from launch excitement, and then ages very poorly. In another year or two it is held up as an example of typical sub-par launch titles. (Genji, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, etc...)

I could be wrong. It might end up being really great. But when I see flashy graphics wrapped around a glorified quick-time-fest it throws up some red flags. A game that is a technical show-pony but extremely light on gameplay is typical of launch-exclusive software.

I really hope the game bundle comes to the U.S. and other territories.  I don't want Fifa, but something like ACIV or Battlefield 4 would be pretty cool.  Honestly, I think Ryse looks interesting so I wouldn't mind if that was the pack-in. 

It's always safer to assume that a game will be disappointing. This is doubly true for launch-exclusive software. You will be much safer assuming that Ryse will be disappointing.

What usually happens with this sort of title is that it gets a bit of a critical boost from launch excitement, and then ages very poorly. In another year or two it is held up as an example of typical sub-par launch titles. (Genji, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, etc...)

I could be wrong. It might end up being really great. But when I see flashy graphics wrapped around a glorified quick-time-fest it throws up some red flags. A game that is a technical show-pony but extremely light on gameplay is typical of launch-exclusive software.
hey i loved asura's wrath and it changed my mind about glorified quick-time-fests so who knows

Gamescom: Ubisoft Announces The Fighter Within Xbox One exclusive “delivers the long awaited motion fighting promise.”
by Andrew Goldfarb
August 20, 2013

Ubisoft has announced The Fighter Within, a new Xbox One fighting game that uses Kinect.

The Fighter Within is developed by Daoka and Ubisoft says it “delivers the long awaited motion fighting promise, allowing players to throw punches and kicks in the most immersive competitive brawling experience.”

Ubisoft promises “1 to 1 precision movement tracking” for fighting moves plus real-time damage to fighters in-game. The Fighter Within will support local multiplayer via Kinect and is due to hit Xbox One in Fall 2013.

Keep checking back to IGN for more on The Fighter Within (including hands-on impressions) very soon

-This could be an excellent showcase title for Kinect 2.0 if it's actually good. I'm surprised it's only local MP though, MS has really seemed to de-emphasize that this last generation. Or is it not really possible to do online MP with Kinect? I honestly don't know.

Couple more things-Fifa Confirmed as pack in, but only for pre-orders (odd choice IMHO).

Very positive article about Ryse

Fable Legends announced-Granted Fable III & Journey were awful, but my wife absolutely loves these games so soon as this is out is probably when I'll end up buying one because she won't stop bugging me about it.

PEGGLE 2 TIMED EXCLUSIVE!!!

tumblr_mo736tq7VD1qf31e7o1_500.gif

In better timed exclusive news: Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is also a timed exclusive, and that does look really fun,

Xbox One idie publishing plan-They claim it'll be better than the program or 360, but indies still have to register, apply and obviously be approved. That's bound to be extra hassle that some won't bother with,

Ok here's the gamescom news so far...

"In Europe this Holiday: All pre-orders of #XboxOne will include a copy of FIFA 14 (while stock lasts) #Xboxgamescom"

"@CallofDuty Ghosts will have dedicated servers on #XboxOne #Gamescom"

"The next @MojangTeam title ‘Cobalt’ is coming to Xbox 360 and #XboxOne #Gamescom"

"Peggle 2 is an Xbox One Launch title and PvZ Garden Warfare coming in 2014 - both are coming first to Xbox One"

"Xbox Independent Games will have access Xbox One - Kinect, SmartGlass, Xbox Live, rich analytics, cloud"

"Xbox Independent Games program will have no Fees: no certification, no activation"

-Major Nelson

IGN put up a new article on Ryse, saying not to worry about it...here's a quote from the article:

"After a hands-on with the latest build on the eve of Gamescom, however, I have good news: there's no need to worry about Ryse: Son of Rome. The combat has plenty of depth, and the AI is aggressive enough that you'll be challenged plenty. Oh, and QTEs are merely optional finishing moves, with the giant button prompt over a foe's head replaced by a subtle colored outline around the not-long-for-this-world bad guy that corresponds to the button you're supposed to press in order to nail the best execution."

Confirmed Launch List:

• Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  • Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)
  • Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
  • Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
  • FIFA 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
  • Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)
  • Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive)
  • Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
  • Madden NFL 25 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)
  • NBA LIVE 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)
  • Peggle 2 (Popcap, Electronic Arts)
  • Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
  • Skylanders: Swap Force (Vicarious Visions, Activision)
  • Watch Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)
  • Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)
  • Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoë Mode, Majesco)
-I'm surprised Crimson Dragon is a launch title, I was excited by the concept but it looked like it needed plenty of work at E3. Not much else noteworthy that wasn't already known about.

More good news for Project Spark...looks like you can use Kinect to mocap new animations into the game.

" Players can capture facial animations, body motion and voice and sound to create custom character animations, dialog or even cinematic cut scenes."

I wonder if the US will get anything.  Madden possibly if they follow the FIFA route, but probably a big fat nothing.

I hope so though, the PS4 is giving away Drive Club

Hey WV, tell your task masters back at MS HQ that I will switch to an X1 preorder if they give us a game free too. Talk about getting the shaft just because the US population is "a given" so to speak.

bread's done
Back