Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

The Division has Xbox One exclusive content after all
Microsoft has announced at its Gamescom press conference that The Division will receive exclusive content on Xbox One “before and after” the game’s launch. The news comes only a week after game director Ryan Howard said there would be no unique features for any particular version.

20130618_the_division.jpg

The online third-person tactical shooter is in development at Ubisoft Massive for Xbox One, PS4, and, as was also just announced, PC. There’s no word on what the exclusive content will be, nor whether it will be timed DLC or entirely unique features.

This goes against what we reported last week, when Ryan Bernard told OXM when asked about the possibility of exclusive content. He said: “Currently, right now, because we’re releasing for both platforms, we want the best game experience for both. We’re not planning specific content or specific unique, I guess, elements for either platform.

“We have a long development cycle, and who knows what will happen by the time the game’s released? But at the time, currently we’re not planning anything unique.”

It seems that a lot can change in a week.

Thanks, CVG.

Hey WV, tell your task masters back at MS HQ that I will switch to an X1 preorder if they give us a game free too. Talk about getting the shaft just because the US population is "a given" so to speak.

"We're only talking about EMEA today, we'll have information on other regions later. We're only talking Europe here."

Ok, so let's really breakdown the launch list here in terms of exclusives that you can only get on Xbox One, the list is more like:

• Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
  • Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
  • Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
  • Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
  • Peggle 2 (Popcap, Electronic Arts)
  • Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
  • Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)
I will say right now that seems like a stronger launch lineup than the PS4, though nothing that personally interests me enough to buy the system. We'll have to see what Sony brings at their Gamescom conference, which is in about 2 hours I believe.

More good news for Project Spark...looks like you can use Kinect to mocap new animations into the game.

" Players can capture facial animations, body motion and voice and sound to create custom character animations, dialog or even cinematic cut scenes."
that's the craziest thing I've ever heard

"We're only talking about EMEA today, we'll have information on other regions later. We're only talking Europe here."
If they want to try and sell Kinect's gaming potential Fighter Within would be an interesting idea but risky, given public opinion is very against Kinect at this point. If they could get Dead Rising 3 as a pack in, that'd be big.

[quote name="Erad30" post="10998404" timestamp="1377001106"]
If they want to try and sell Kinect's gaming potential Fighter Within would be an interesting idea but risky, given public opinion is very against Kinect at this point. If they could get Dead Rising 3 as a pack in, that'd be big.[/quote]
DR3 would be huge.

My guess is if they do a packin game for the US it will be Madden to tout the new partnership etc.

Kinect Sports Rivals looks really strong. I can't wait to play this in the spring!

http://youtu.be/YS4s6LnjinI

Last edited by a moderator:
More good news for Project Spark...looks like you can use Kinect to mocap new animations into the game.

" Players can capture facial animations, body motion and voice and sound to create custom character animations, dialog or even cinematic cut scenes."

that's the craziest thing I've ever heard
It's actually very doable. Everquest II does facial animations and voice right now. It will be interesting to see how they do it with a wider viewing angle and what body capture looks like.

http://youtu.be/cde01HNKQVw

Kinect Sports Rivals looks really strong. I can't wait to play this in the spring! http://youtu.be/YS4s6LnjinI
I just don't think it will be that fun playing things like Tennis without a racket to hold, and the wave racing is similar in that there is no handles to grip (and what do you even do to flip? Will that feel natural at all?). Again same with bowling. You need some sense of weight. Wall climbing is ridiculous. This isn't even a question of accuracy, it's poor concept. You know how many godammn bits of worthless plastic were sold on the Wii as meaningless accessories such as the Wii Wheel which literally does nothing but snap onto the Wii remote? It's because people need to feel something when they are doing virtually every activity shown in that video. It doesn't work when you are using your hands for what in some cases is completely unrealistic motions (see wall climbing) and nothing else. We aren't wired that way.

I'm hearing some good news coming out of Gamescom and GDC Europe. I haven't had time to dig through everything yet, but I'll have a little analysis up later. I'm especially interested about this new Indie publishing initiative.

I like Minecraft as much as the next guy, but Cobalt is just not impressive to me at all. Feels like so much bandwagon-jumping by Microsoft since 2D and indie stuff is trendy right now. "Let's just throw out any old thing, as long as it's 2D and retro-looking it's sure to impress the nerds."

I'm intrigued by Fable Legends though.

Well, they haven't released as many details about ID@XBox as I would have wanted. And what they are proposing is still a walled garden, with Microsoft allowing only proven, public game developers in.

At the same time, I must admit that it is an olive branch for the indie development scene, and a step in the right direction. It's also in line with the indie initiatives that Sony and Nintendo have begun. (not completely open, but much more accepting and useful for indies) It has been confirmed that once an indie has qualified and been accepted into this new ID@XBox initiative, they will no longer be under the same publishing restrictions that plagued the 360. The two free dev kits is also a very nice touch.

That does look very slick. I had to laugh though at how the mech used its giant fingers to pull the trigger on a giant gun, and uses its hands to reload it and so forth. Humans have to interact with guns that way because we have hands and fingers and that's just the way it is, but why in the world would you purposely build a machine that way? :lol:

This is pretty awesome as well

Killer Instinct Pricing

“Killer Instinct” for Xbox One will be free to download with one free playable character available. Additional characters will be available for purchase starting at $4.99 / £3.99 / €4.99 each.

Players can also purchase special discounted character packages:

Combo Breaker Pack –– Save 50 percent instantly by purchasing the Combo Breaker pack, which includes the first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release) for $19.99 / £16.99 / €19.99.

Ultra Edition – The Ultra Edition delivers the best value for “Killer Instinct” fans. Available for $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99, the Ultra Edition includes: The first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release)
Character accessory packs
Character costumes
The original “Killer Instinct” arcade game

This is pretty awesome as well

Killer Instinct Pricing
That is pretty nice. If you want the "full game" with everything, you pay $40 and you're done. If you only want a subset of the content for whatever reason, you can pay less to get a subset.

The only potential downfall is if you buy everything piecemeal over time, you'd end up spending more than if you'd just bought the full edition in the first place. But if you know what you want and can plan ahead it's not a bad model.

Would be nice if they just sold the game for 39.99 at retail.

I assume they will add more fighters later on too outside of the 39.99

Tue, Aug 20, 2013 | 16:33 BST

Xbox One has more exclusives, exclusive DLC, and franchise reboots coming, says Phil Harrison
The story of Gamescom so far has been Microsoft signing a host of exclusive content for Xbox One. Phil Harrison says there’s lot more of that coming up.

phil-harrison.jpg

“We haven’t even launched yet but rest assured we’re already planning more great stuff to ensure Xbox continues to raise the bar,” he said to “So expect more mega franchises like FIFA, with Xbox exclusive content. Expect more exclusives titles like Titanfall. Expect more epics like Halo and Call of Duty. Expect more games reimagined for Xbox One such as Fable Legends. And expect the most immersive, new generation gameplay with multiplayer and innovations like Kinect and SmartGlass which make your experience way more fun and authentic than it could have been before.”

Cheers, OXM.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/8wmHQEmztA0[/youtube]

Looks awesome, being made by former Witcher staff members. Coming for both next gen consoles in 2014.

If they are really planning on a November release date then I think it's too early to announce it.
The only reason for not announcing the release date at this point, is if they are wanting to maintain a little flexibility on the date. I'm not sure exactly what this could mean. Any number of factors could be at play here. It could be production issues. Or perhaps they want to be able to give some of their developers a few extra weeks for their launch titles if they can. At this point, you can't really predict one way or the other. Either way, the system will almost certainly be out before Black Friday. As long as they have it in stores before that deadline, they should be fine.

Was way impressed with Titanfall demo, just so fluid going about the map. I am thinking of getting Xbox one at launch now instead of PS4

I thought the Sony presser was weak. I don't think it hurt them but MS has gained ground since E3 thanks to their reversals and changes and Sony didn't do much to keep their momentum going here. That's pretty much all I will say about PS4 stuff in this thread.

Yea it was weak. 

I think XB 1 will now start picking up, and some places even opened up pre-orders right after XB 1 conference.

I thought the Sony presser was weak.
I actually really liked what I saw. But then I'm very enthusiastic about indie games, and that was a very strong focus for this press conference.

I will agree that Microsoft's press conference had a strong showing at Gamescom, and they made several announcements and reveals that make the XBox One seem like a more attractive option than it was previously. I liked several of the developments that have been made to Ryse, and have higher hopes for that game now. And I especially like that they have finally revealed and started to implement a system for indie publishing. That was something that really needed to happen.

It's good to see that we might have a more even competition on our hands. It's still anyone's game this holiday season.

I thought the Sony presser was weak. I don't think it hurt them but MS has gained ground since E3 thanks to their reversals and changes and Sony didn't do much to keep their momentum going here. That's pretty much all I will say about PS4 stuff in this thread.
It was. They could have kept momentum by announcing an Oct. launch date. They mentioned new IP's from the big first parties, but didn't announce any titles. Let's see what Phil has up his sleeve at the keynote. MS has an opportunity.

Yeah, underwhelming. I will say Rime looked cool, so did that War Thunder mmo. Minecraft for ps4 is good for them, as well as Twitch.
Actually playing War Thunder right now. It's a really, really good game. Far better than wargamings offering.

My one concern is if it will be like Planetside 2. Not with the PC players. That just makes it seem like a lesser child of the PC version, which neither of those titles should be.

With that said, was really impressed with Microsoft as well. I honestly think they have the momentum right now, while Sony is almost on auto pilot. Of course, they have a right to be with the massive PR success they had earlier.

Bottom line is if you don't care about indie games the conference was weak from Sony. No Vita re-designed and the price dropped a whopping $50 when us CAGS have had real good deals already via Cowboom. I think the biggest bombshell was Minecraft going multiplatform as the XB1 version might have been a selling point to some people.

Anyways, I like the look of Fable 4 player co-op but I need to see actual gameplay.

I also hope the US gets a free game for pre-ordering the XB1.

I think MS is handling Gamescon very well.

Smart move on holding their cards on the release date this time.

My guess is we are looking at a Nov 5-15 date range and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is 11-5 or 11-12.

Added in with the steam MS has been building over the last few months I think we are at even ground rolling into release.

Anxious to see the launch date and if they include anything for the US preorders.

----------

Holy shit!

http://youtu.be/PcLx5EpRl6w

[quote name="Trakan" post="10999875" timestamp="1377036309"]
MS confirmed that Watch Dogs will be available on launch day. That means on or after November 19th.

http://kotaku.com/here-are-the-xbox-ones-launch-games-1170844581

http://kotaku.com/ubisoft-clue-hints-at-a-late-november-xbox-one-release-1172312333[/quote]
Where's your always right CBOAT at now?

Doesn't seem so in the know...

Also, Watch Dogs is also listed as a launch title for the PS4. Which makes all of this complete speculation.

Where's your always right CBOAT at now? Doesn't seem so in the know... Also, Watch Dogs is also listed as a launch title for the PS4. Which makes all of this complete speculation.
Yeah, I'm bummed about the PS4 release date. If MS was going to beat Sony and launch first, they definitely wouldn't be keeping that quiet right now.

[quote name="Trakan" post="10999967" timestamp="1377038150"]
Yeah, I'm bummed about the PS4 release date. If MS was going to beat Sony and launch first, they definitely wouldn't be keeping that quiet right now.[/quote]
They were baiting Sony just like they did to them at E3

Bet you will have release date by the end of the week or at the latest Sept 1. I will be shocked if it is later than 11/8.

This is MS's chance to get the last laugh and it will.

Edit: looks like gamesradar agrees - http://www.gamesradar.com/playstation-4s-release-date-sonys-first-big-next-gen-mistake/

bread's done
Back