Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I don't think one console getting released earlier in the same month will sway sales. No one is going to go well gee I have to wait a little while to get console X so I'll just get Y one because it's out first. A year headstart made a difference a week or two one way or the other will not.

They were baiting Sony just like they did to them at E3 Bet you will have release date by the end of the week or at the latest Sept 1. I will be shocked if it is later than 11/8. This is MS's chance to get the last laugh and it will.
If they are able to launch the XBox One sometime in September, than they might be able to pull off some manner of sales advantage for 2013. (at least in the U.S.) Anything later than that isn't going to make any significant difference. If it launches anytime in November there will essentially be no difference. A two-week lead time will mean nothing. You need a full month minimum in order to get any real momentum.

And as I've already pointed out, the one important factor for sales in the U.S. is to arrive before Black Friday. The XBox One will likely sell out of whatever stock they are able to supply, just due to initial production constraints. (and the excitement surrounding new hardware) But what will really be significant to Microsoft's bottom-line will be the extras and peripherals. And the best time to push those is Black Friday. Tapping into that shopping frenzy is crucial for moving the real mark-up items for a new console.

That said, the XBox One arriving before Black Friday is almost a foregone conclusion. If Microsoft thought there was any chance they would miss that window, they would just push the system's launch back to March of 2014. (so that it would come out in the next fiscal year) If it wasn't landing before BF, we would have heard about it already.

Well clearly their master plan all along was to announce horrendous policies to make public opinion very low and then reverse them to make themselves look like heroes.

Some good stuff today.  Definitely on board for the $20 version of Killer Instinct, and Crimson Dragon in the launch window, too?  Woohoo!  This launch crushes that of the 360 and PS3 both.  Not sold on the Ryse hype, though....will wait for near or post-launch reviews before making a final decision.  It LOOKS good, but not sure if that's enough.

Also, I think November 15 is a great day for a launch.  Sony fanboys and Xbox fanboys can stand in line together, holding hands and singing "kumbayah".  Share punch and pie.  It'll be swell, guys.

Also, I think November 15 is a great day for a launch. Sony fanboys and Xbox fanboys can stand in line together, holding hands and singing "kumbayah". Share punch and pie. It'll be swell, guys.
Nah it'll be gang fight, but like a west side story gang fight...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/G_xHueP7bQ0[/youtube]

I don't think one console getting released earlier in the same month will sway sales. No one is going to go well gee I have to wait a little while to get console X so I'll just get Y one because it's out first. A year headstart made a difference a week or two one way or the other will not.
It does make a difference. If Xbox One comes out on the 5th, it has a headstart on getting positive reviews, getting youtube lets plays (which are big this gen) and any word of mouth. Kids/teens will start asking for Xbox One if they see how much fun their fav. youtuber is having playing Dead Rising 3.

Obviously sony "fanboys", or people that are excited and already paid off their ps4 aren't gonna change their minds, but the people that will be asking for one of these consoles for christmas, could change their mind. Especially if it releases on the 5th because alot of people might upgrade and tell their friends to get xbox one with COD

this thing is now in ms court if they were smart they would put xbox one out the same day as ghost on 5th or some time that week or heck even the same week as the other guy. 

Also, I think November 15 is a great day for a launch. Sony fanboys and Xbox fanboys can stand in line together, holding hands and singing "kumbayah". Share punch and pie. It'll be swell, guys.
this would be great if it happend police in every city would be needed at launch events. I would not care i got my xbox one from amazon the local news would be interesting. :bouncy:

Who are these imaginary people? The people who are paying $400-$500 for a console+ games and accessories is not going to be the parents of kids/teens, it's going to be the hardcore gamers. When they hit a more mass market price ($300 would be my guess) that's when the more casual families will come in and buy one. Hell according to most analysts consoles will have really stiff competition this round because they are going up against things like tablets and smart phones which are cheaper and portable with incredibly cheap games. Console gaming in general may go back to being more of a hobbyist thing if they are right.

this would be great if it happend police in every city would be needed at launch events. I would not care i got my xbox one from amazon the local news would be interesting. :bouncy:
It may be necessary, I worked the PS3 launch at a Best Buy and one guy got straight up robbed of his in the parking lot, don't remember if they caught the guy or not.

Just like Sony baited them. Sorry I wasn't fucking clear. Easy ladies.
I see what you meant now. I didn't think you were that delusional. How did Sony bait MS though? With the price? They didn't magically change the price in the few hours there were in between conferences.

Who are these imaginary people? The people who are paying $400-$500 for a console+ games and accessories is not going to be the parents of kids/teens, it's going to be the hardcore gamers. When they hit a more mass market price ($300 would be my guess) that's when the more casual families will come in and buy one. Hell according to most analysts consoles will have really stiff competition this round because they are going up against things like tablets and smart phones which are cheaper and portable with incredibly cheap games. Console gaming in general may go back to being more of a hobbyist thing if they are right.

This is laughable. You have things flipped. Yeah hardcore will adopt early but the non-core is where the money is at.

I doubt parents are going to buy their kids a $500 or $400 console when the 360 and PS3 are both $199 at the moment. Hell, the Wii U is $350 and that is more kid friendly. Also, if little timmy sees his favorite youtuber do a lets play on Dead Rising 3 in November and asks for a Xbox One, he's going to be SOL anyways because both consoles will most likely be sold out/hard to find just like the 360 and PS3 were at launch.

You really underestimate some parents. If the kid wants a XB1, and they can get one for them on a bday or Christmas they will buy it.

How do I have things flipped at all? I'm am saying the large majority of people buying this holiday season are early adopters, the core gamers, which is exactly what you are saying. I'm also saying that they are facing stiff competition in the face of smart phones and tablets, which is what pretty much every guy whose job it is to predict sales trends is saying. Yes the casual families are where the big money is at, and guess what, they aren't spending upwards of $600 or more for a console.

You really underestimate some parents. If the kid wants a XB1, and they can get one for them on a bday or Christmas they will buy it.
Some yes but not the majority who don't have a unlimited budget. Hell Ashane was the one saying families spend about $800 on christmas, no way you'll see them blowing well over half that on one gift.

The thing is, when the old man sees the Xbox One ads during NFL Football broadcasts, and sees how he can use it during football games to track his team's stats....that may lead to quite a few kids being stoked to find XBOs under their trees this holiday.

so you think the same parents that spend 700 dollers on ipads and other things for their kids will not spend 500 + for a gaming system when they see that their kids that already have a 360 want the xbox one. lol dude this is not the 90's anymore

The thing is, when the old man sees the Xbox One ads during NFL Football broadcasts, and sees how he can use it during football games to track his team's stats....that may lead to quite a few kids being stoked to find XBOs under their trees this holiday.
they are also calling 360 offical system of the nfl on a ad i seen during monday night football last night.

so you think the same parents that spend 700 dollers on ipads and other things for their kids will not spend 500 + for a gaming system when they see that their kids that already have a 360 want the xbox one. lol dude this is not the 90's anymore
Tablets & phones have become this essential ingrained part of everyday life in a way consoles have not. You can take a tablet pretty much anywhere and use it for tons of different things anywhere. Can't do that with a console that sits at home. Kids get tablets for college. It's harder to sell parents on something that is strictly an entertainment device. Not too mention yes there are $700 tablets/phones out there, there are also a ton of cheaper options.

Yep.  The XBO is the official "entertainment computing device" of the NFL, and Surface is the official tablet computing device.

Expect to see ads for both plastered all over stadiums, sidelines, and of course during commercial breaks.

They really aren't milking it hard enough, though.  Some of us are dumb enough to spend more money on a console that matches team colors...

Yeah, if I was a old man I would definitely spend $500 on a video game console so I can track my favorite team's stats. I mean I wouldn't be able to do that on my tv that I'm watching the game on or my computer. That's for sure.
I've seen people spend the same amount of money on a smartphone for the same reason.

Tablets & phones have become this essential ingrained part of everyday life in a way consoles have not. You can take a tablet pretty much anywhere and use it for tons of different things anywhere. Can't do that with a console that sits at home. Kids get tablets for college. It's harder to sell parents on something that is strictly an entertainment device. Not too mention yes there are $700 tablets/phones out there, there are also a ton of cheaper options.
you would be shocked on the amount of money parents spend in my electronics section at work during xmas lol. yes economy might be poo poo but people go hog wild come holidays and i can tell you both systems will be hard to find for a month or two.

Right but I already brought that up-A smartphone is a powerful portable device that goes with you and serves multiple practical functions. A device that is purely entertainment and is chained to your TV isn't going to be nearly as attractive a proposition. That's been part of the problem with a lot of these next-gen social and streaming features. The consoles and devices we already own can do most of the stuff we care about, why am I paying $400-$500 more for stuff I can already do? Now as a gamer, I can justify buying one because it'll be where the new games are at, but people who are more casual gamers or not big gamers at all already have devices that cover all this stuff.

I don't think the kids that got a $700 iPad are interested in an Xbox One or a PS4....

I don't think the kids that got a $700 iPad are interested in an Xbox One or a PS4....

And why would you say that?

Right but I already brought that up-A smartphone is a powerful portable device that goes with you and serves multiple practical functions. A device that is purely entertainment and is chained to your TV isn't going to be nearly as attractive a proposition. That's been part of the problem with a lot of these next-gen social and streaming features. The consoles and devices we already own can do most of the stuff we care about, why am I paying $400-$500 more for stuff I can already do? Now as a gamer, I can justify buying one because it'll be where the new games are at, but people who are more casual gamers or not big gamers at all already have devices that cover all this stuff.
what does this have to do with kids? yes causal gamers i don't see buying x1 or the other one for awhile but most kids will want one of these things this year and will help the sales after the first hard core wave is done.

The kids market has been disrupted by iOS devices. It's not an exaggeration to say that the bottom has fallen out of it. If kids games were still popular then THQ would still be rolling around in cash. They had a lot of kids licenses that made them lots of money for years and prior to bankruptcy they admitted kids games weren't profitable any longer. The Wii U is selling poorly for similar reasons. If they can't sell a Nintendo console for 350 what is going to sell X1/ps4 for even more? Knack? Kinect sports 3? I really doubt it. It's true that people go into debt for Christmas but I think it's inaccurate to say that kids will be anywhere near the majority of people getting one of these consoles. Early adopters are going to buy these things up, especially the X1 which reportidly will have lower quantities available. Why isn't there a kinect-less SKU until next year? Because they'll sell all of these anyway so why not force early adopters who are not price sensitive to buy it?

The kids market has been disrupted by iOS devices. It's not an exaggeration to say that the bottom has fallen out of it. If kids games were still popular then THQ would still be rolling around in cash. They had a lot of kids licenses that made them lots of money for years and prior to bankruptcy they admitted kids games weren't profitable any longer. The Wii U is selling poorly for similar reasons. If they can't sell a Nintendo console for 350 what is going to sell X1/ps4 for even more? Knack? Kinect sports 3? I really doubt it. It's true that people go into debt for Christmas but I think it's inaccurate to say that kids will be anywhere near the majority of people getting one of these consoles. Early adopters are going to buy these things up, especially the X1 which reportidly will have lower quantities available. Why isn't there a kinect-less SKU until next year? Because they'll sell all of these anyway so why not force early adopters who are not price sensitive to buy it?
i see kids as someone 18 and under. i doudt a 16 year old wants to play a hello kitty game

i see kids as someone 18 and under. i doudt a 16 year old wants to play a hello kitty game
Sure under 18 is a kid but when I think of kids I don't think of teens and I would bet that's what others are talking about. I'm sure teens will want a console along with the new iPhone 5S which comes our next month. To be fair though, I would call a 16 year old that only gets a new console and a few games and accessories for Christmas an early adopter.

Are people really saying that the kid market is meaningless to consoles?

Funny.  If you check the latest NPD report, the #2 selling retail software disc last month was Minecraft.  Why is an old PC game and a game that's been on Live as a download for a year suddenly leap onto the charts as a disc?  Because parents bought it for their kids.

Are people really saying that the kid market is meaningless to consoles?

Funny. If you check the latest NPD report, the #2 selling retail software disc last month was Minecraft. Why is an old PC game and a game that's been on Live as a download for a year suddenly leap onto the charts as a disc? Because parents bought it for their kids.
The licensed kids market fell apart. It's because you can buy a sponge bob game on iPad for $1. Are you implying that the bottom falling out means that no games in that sector would do well? It's common sense that there are outliers with everything so lets not try to create arguments where none exist.

The licensed kids market fell apart. It's because you can buy a sponge bob game on iPad for $1. Are you implying that the bottom falling out means that no games in that sector would do well? It's common sense that there are outliers with everything so lets not try to create arguments where none exist.
What on earth are you going on about? I never said anything about the bottom dropping out of the kids market, and I'm not really sure how that would be relevant to this discussion.

In fact, if the bottom has dropped out of the kids software market, it would only make it more impressive that an older PC game was able to sell so strongly on its first month as a retail console disc.

What on earth are you going on about? I never said anything about the bottom dropping out of the kids market, and I'm not really sure how that would be relevant to this discussion.

In fact, if the bottom has dropped out of the kids software market, it would only make it more impressive that an older PC game was able to sell so strongly on its first month as a retail console disc.
I don't really think minecraft is very comparable to Sponge Bob. My point was that kids that get iPads don't want these consoles. Later others defined "kids" more broadly than I do and included teens. Yes teens will want these consoles but not your average younger kid that has an iPad. I'm not sure how Minecraft is at all related to this unless you think parent are going to buy a new console solely for Minecraft on the new console. If you're trying to discuss why some kids games sell and others can't compete with $1 iPad games then I'd be happy to have that discussion elsewhere but I don't think Minecraft will push either new consoles sales.

I thought yo u were calling kids 18 under. If you calling kids 8/9 and under then yes you are right. A new console doesn't look good for them.

I thought yo u were calling kids 18 under. If you calling kids 8/9 and under then yes you are right. A new console doesn't look good for them.
No I was talking about younger kids. Timbo (BTW my iPhone auto corrects "Timbo" into Rambo) was defining it broadly as anyone under 18. I personally don't consider a teen to be a "kid" in the same way younger kids are. IMO a teen that gets a console for Christmas is an early adopter.

Yeah, if I was a old man I would definitely spend $500 on a video game console so I can track my favorite team's stats. I mean I wouldn't be able to do that on my tv that I'm watching the game on or my computer. That's for sure.

You are not looking at the whole picture.

The folks who are head of households now grew up gamers. They played Nintendo, SNES, PSX etc.

The X1 gives them a way to sharing gaming with their family and make gaming part of the family experience. You can't have that with a phone or tablet or the other console. With the entertainment features, Kinect etc. you can now make the game console a hub for the family.

To the core this may be a bad thing. But to a late thirties father like myself this is a great benefit and solidifies that I can continue to share gaming with my family and enjoy my games as well.

I would like to say that in the US my demo is bigger than the core demo and that.

I'm not saying they won't buy it, but I'm saying they are pretty unlikely to buy it at $500, that's just not mass market price. A huge reason for the Wii's success is that it was cheap. Most consoles don't start reaching mainstream success til they drop to whatever the casual sweet spot is. It's debatable what exactly that is, but somewhere between $200-$300 usually seems to be when they really start taking off.

You are not looking at the whole picture.

The folks who are head of households now grew up gamers. They played Nintendo, SNES, PSX etc.

The X1 gives them a way to sharing gaming with their family and make gaming part of the family experience. You can't have that with a phone or tablet or the other console. With the entertainment features, Kinect etc. you can now make the game console a hub for the family.

To the core this may be a bad thing. But to a late thirties father like myself this is a great benefit and solidifies that I can continue to share gaming with my family and enjoy my games as well.

I would like to say that in the US my demo is bigger than the core demo and that.
That pretty much describes me to a T.

Honestly think that describes a vast majority of gamers, considering the average age is what low 30's now?

Oh well, sales are all speculation at this point anyway. I think we can all agree that a earlier release gap does give a advantage. What's up for debate is the size of the advantage.

The Xbox has regained the momentum. Big swing in Europe with FIFA. Both systems were going to have great launches regardless.

Someone told me very early on there was no way Xbox One would release a day after Call of Duty because of how huge a game it is. That article sort of reaffirms that idea.

Now we gotta see.

bread's done
Back