Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

My release date guess is 11/5

I think a lot of folks underestimate how big it would be for MS to launch alongside COD.
I agree with you. They could do co-advertising, like a trailer for Ghosts followed by "get it on Xbox One 11/5" without mentioning any other platforms and I think that would be huge for them.

The point people are making is that it will make multiplayer suck if it works a certain way - as in you buy a game to have fun and this is not fun.
It's going to work exactly like ME3, and that was fine.

Oh and regarding the potential pack-in that was discussed previously, people had thrown around BF4 or Ryse or even CoD as a potential pack-in, but just throwing my two cents in that I'm almost positive the title would need to be rated E. The reason I say this is because I think it could be bad press if there was no way to get an X1 without a parent having to buy an M rated game for their kid. Gears, Uncharted, CoD bundles etc exist now because the option to buy the system without them exists. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's more then that honestly.

Microsoft also scored the exclusive of the ultimate team legends feature. Again, that is going to be also just as huge in Europe as even including it in the box.

Being able to play as Pele and others of the past will be enough to convince most Fifa fans to go for the X1 version, because ultimate team is that hot of a feature to most people who play it.

It's really a major coup. Think about it, this is a sports franchise that sells just as much as CoD, and instead of declining sales, it's seeing a near 100% increase from 12->13 version. So now not only do we have exclusive CoD content, and dedicated servers, we've got Fifa having exclusive content as well for Europe.

I was wondering when the money would start pouring out of Microsoft (that 100 billion they had earmarked), and it looks like it is now.
I'm watching the Xbox Livestream right now, and they mentioned the FIFA exclusive DLC is for the Xbox 360 also.

Did you really put people on your ignore list or are you still making stuff up?
Users I'm Ignoring

Name

Group

Signature

Messenger

photo-203528.png
mr.me

CAGiversary!

Hide

Hide

Block

Remove
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by mr.me. View it anyway?

i figured you talked about me seeing that person after you had to tell you to stop talking about other people. im done with this garbage so yes i do have like 7 people on ignore.

Alright, take it easy with the arguing and insults.  mr.me and timbo, the ignore feature is there for a reason, use it. 

Keep the discussion civil.  If you feel someone has done something wrong, DO NOT RESPOND TO IT.  Just report it so I can take care of it.

I'm watching the Xbox Livestream right now, and they mentioned the FIFA exclusive DLC is for the Xbox 360 also.
Yeah, it's there as well. However, the discussion was in relation to how you could simply buy a PS4 & Fifa 14 and still have a bit of cash left over.

My argument is those that say that obviously do not play Fifa a ton, and realize just how popular ultimate team is. I'd even go so far as to say it is the entire reason Xbox Live accounts started getting hacked in major numbers... to buy gold team packs over and over again.

Yeah, it's there as well. However, the discussion was in relation to how you could simply buy a PS4 & Fifa 14 and still have a bit of cash left over.

My argument is those that say that obviously do not play Fifa a ton, and realize just how popular ultimate team is. I'd even go so far as to say it is the entire reason Xbox Live accounts started getting hacked in major numbers... to buy gold team packs over and over again.
I thought the Fifa exclusive DLC was only for the Xbox One, that is why I mentioned it.

I honestly loathe exclusive DLC.

I am getting both consoles for several reasons, but WatchDogs has exclusive stuff on PS4 , but I'm getting it on XB1.

Ghosts has exclusive content on XB1 but I'm most likely getting it on PS3

On micro transactions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNuS03k6gI
I agree with a lot of his points in this video however I think he chose the worst possible example in DS3. DS3 is the best microtransaction system I've ever seen because when you payed you didn't really get all that much and everything was so easy to get without paying. By the time I was done with the game I had a ridiculous surplus of everything without spending a dime, I had stopped even picking up things and sending out scavenger bots because I had so much that I would never use.

I don't see the countries that got delayed being a big deal. I'm assuming they probably got delayed because the Xbox 360 sales sucked there. They are probably only losing a small, small fraction of their user base from these eight countries honestly. Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and Switzerland. Which of those countries has a large user base for the 360? Does anyone know?
Well DICE is from Sweden and they are calling Microsoft out on it being a big mistake for not launching in that country.

I agree with a lot of his points in this video however I think he chose the worst possible example in DS3. DS3 is the best microtransaction system I've ever seen because when you payed you didn't really get all that much and everything was so easy to get without paying. By the time I was done with the game I had a ridiculous surplus of everything without spending a dime, I had stopped even picking up things and sending out scavenger bots because I had so much that I would never use.
Dead Space 3 got a lot of flak about microtransactions from people who didn't play it or didn't pay attention to how it actually worked in the game.

to be honest i love dice games but their attitude kind of stinks has been that way for years since early days of the bf series.  The thing that sticks out for me was when bf3 came out they got grumpy in their pants that the sales numbers of bf3 was low compared to mw3 and they said some nasty things about iw. 

I don't wanna start any trolling, but I wanna know why should I get this over the PS4? I mean the only real advantage, in my opinion, the PS3 had over the 360 was free online. Now that the PS4 has paid online I am thinking of switching back to Microsoft.

I don't wanna start any trolling, but I wanna know why should I get this over the PS4? I mean the only real advantage, in my opinion, the PS3 had over the 360 was free online. Now that the PS4 has paid online I am thinking of switching back to Microsoft.
So...if that's the case then what advantage does the XBone have over PS4? It's like you're saying if all things are equal then get the XBone. If that's your preference then do it. It should have good shooters if that's what you're after. PS4 will end up having JRPG's while XBone will likely only have Final Fantasy.

Balmier is retiring. Succession plan in the works and he will step down over the next 12 months. Their shares are surging right now.

Balmier is retiring. Succession plan in the works and he will step down over the next 12 months. Their shares are surging right now.
Microsoft shares are up more than 2 percent today to more than $32 per share after long-time analyst Rick Sherlund for Nomura upgraded the company’s stock to a “buy.”

In April, Nomura downgraded the company to “neutral” on what Sherlund referred to as “poor fundamentals.” But now, things are looking up. Why?

Activist investors.

We’ve written about activist investor ValueAct before – the investment group spent $2 billion to take a 1 percent stake in Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) back in April when the share price was below $30 per share.

The organization has a history of taking a stake in a struggling company and pushing for major changes.

On Thursday, Sherlund wrote that ValueAct is likely to have the support of shareholders when it pushes for a seat on Microsoft’s board of directors.

That’s a tricky thing for Microsoft, though. Bill Gates is still chairman of the board, and he’s good friends with CEO Steve Ballmer. It’s no secret some shareholders are fed up with Ballmer and want to see him step down.

“Among the many shareholders we spoke to, Steve Ballmer’s strategy inspires little confidence,” Sherlund wrote.

Microsoft was slow to respond to the smartphone and tablet market, Sherlund wrote, and that has cannibalized the company’s business. He described shareholder frustration as at “an all-time high” when the company reported disappointing earnings in June and the share price tumbled.

Sherlund suggested in his note that it might be best to give ValueAct a seat on the board and have them work behind closed doors, rather than opening it up to a public proxy fight. That, however, would likely take longer.

“A decision by the board at Microsoft to offer a nomination for a board seat could keep the activist agenda behind closed doors and take longer for shareholders to see potential benefits,” Sherlund wrote.

Things could get interesting in the coming weeks. ValueAct must notify Microsoft of a proxy fight by Aug. 30 – next Friday – and there is an analyst meeting at Microsoft on Sept. 19.

ValueAct will likely call on Microsoft to make some big changes. Sherlund – who is likely well-sourced on this – believes ValueAct will suggest Microsoft sell off Xbox to another tech company.

“Xbox is cool,” Sherlund wrote, “but by our estimates Microsoft has not made money at this.”

And for shareholders, that’s an important point. For activist shareholders, it’s a sticking point.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/techflash/2013/08/long-time-microsoft-analyst-predicts.html?page=all

http://www.eyeonwindows.com/2013/08/23/valueact-still-pursuing-a-microsoft-board-seat-wants-to-sell-off-the-xbox-division/
Bigger changes might be coming now with Steve Ballmer out of the way...

Looks like Rare may eventually revisit old IP's and integrating them with Kinect:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/60985/rare-weve-got-ideas-for-kinect-in-perfect-dark-banjo-viva-pinata/
See, that's just the type of crap I was talking about when saying I worried that Kinect will get forced into traditional games since it's packed in every system.

Things like good new versions of Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Conker etc. would help sway me to maybe get an X1 down the road. But not if they've got Kinect stuff built in.

Really depends on which controller you like, which online environment you like, which games you play that may get content earlier (BF 4, COD), and whether or not you want to pay $100 more for what the xbox 1 has to offer. They are essentially going to be the same systems otherwise

Looks like Rare may eventually revisit old IP's and integrating them with Kinect:
This actually sounds like it would be a good idea. Perfect Dark took a bit of a hit after its 360 debut, and could use some re-imagining. Conker, Banjo-Kazooie, and Viva Pinata are all franchises that could work really well with the Kinect. Their real strengths were never in their control schemes, so translating them to the Kinect wouldn't really break anything. Viva Pinata in particular would work really well as a Kinect title.

Rare isn't the Rare of yore anymore. The best thing they've done since the Nintendo age was Viva Pinata. Hell most of their older stuff doesn't even hold up anymore.

It's a good game, I played it quite a bit, not knocking VP at all, but Rare used to be a pretty legendary studio and their best (and arguably only good) release this gen being a solid zoo sim (maybe? not sure what it qualifies as) and them spending most of their time making avatar gear speaks of a greatly diminished studio.

I will never understand why people would pay money for a game and then pay more money to not have to play it as much. If you're not going to be invested enough in the multiplayer to unlock the content yourself, then wouldn't your money be better spent on something you'd actually enjoy?
Maybe you like the game but don't want to invest too many hours in it, but think X looks cool so you drop a couple bucks to get it and save the farming time.

All under Nintendo's guiding hands. Just look at Silicon Knights for another example. Under Nintendo they made the trippy classic Eternal Darkness and MGS: Twin Snakes. Then they go out on there own and we get the failed Too Human and the atrocious X-Men Destiny.

conker live and reloaded was great game perfect dark zero one of best launch titles for 360 vp was great kinect sports were all great kinect games and fun to play 

To each his own I guess but Perfect Dark Zero is considered mediocre at best, Conker's was great back in the N64 day mainly due to novelty it aged terribly (and even if you disagree that's literally them being dependent on some former moment of glory, not making great new IP). Sports wasn't awful, but it didn't have much in the way of long term appeal. And did you just say all Kinect games are fun? Yeah that's why the attach ratio for Kinect is virtually nonexistent. MS sold a lot of Kinects that's true, but nobody bought any games for it except maybe Dance Central.

PD0 had everything in terms of variety. Wasn't it like 31 bots + u for mass mayhem? I should pop that in.

The controls however were awkward, and the body armor was stupid.

To each his own I guess but Perfect Dark Zero is considered mediocre at best, Conker's was great back in the N64 day mainly due to novelty it aged terribly (and even if you disagree that's literally them being dependent on some former moment of glory, not making great new IP). Sports wasn't awful, but it didn't have much in the way of long term appeal. And did you just say all Kinect games are fun? Yeah that's why the attach ratio for Kinect is virtually nonexistent. MS sold a lot of Kinects that's true, but nobody bought any games for it except maybe Dance Central.
i said the two kinect sports games that came out 1 and 2 were were fun. i really do think the quality of kinect games on x 1 will go up seeing companys know everyone will have a kinect so they will pump money into kinect games and know everyone has the thing to play it. Nothing that is a ad on and not packaged in will have tons and tons of garbage games for it just like ps move. lets be honest if the wii came wit ha normal controller and wii mote and numb chuck was just ad ons more cheap awful games would have came out then good games. this day and age companys cna't make games that only slim about of people can play seeing not everyone has the product needed to play the game.

Rare did it's best work on the N64, but I have to admit that Kinect Sports was a lot of fun.  I am looking forward to what they can do with the new kinect.  I hear KS Rivals is really, really good.  More than one previewer compared the jet ski portion to Wave Race 64.  That sounds great to me. 

Rare did it's best work on the N64, but I have to admit that Kinect Sports was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to what they can do with the new kinect. I hear KS Rivals is really, really good. More than one previewer compared the jet ski portion to Wave Race 64. That sounds great to me.
yeah kinect sports 1 and 2 i like two better are one of the best kinect games that were made for kinect 1.0 i still play it by my self.

I wish there was more chatter about Crimson Dragon. That's one of the three launch games I plan on getting, just on pedigree alone. I was a fan of the original on Saturn. Other than the trailer and one or two interviews, there is zero detail. Oh well I got some ms points on the cheap to have on hold for this and KI.

Anyone else planning on getting Ryse that would be interested in doing some Co-op??

http://www.oxm.co.uk/60985/rare-weve-got-ideas-for-kinect-in-perfect-dark-banjo-viva-pinata/
"We want to find that thing that nobody's ever done before and make a game out of it."

So like WiiSports? Avatars? They've spent the better part of last gen just ripping off the Wii. Maybe they wanted to create something original before MS forced them into a Kinect corner (I loved Kameo & Pinata), but he states "We've got ideas for most older Rare IP, you won't be surprised to hear. There's quite a lot of desire to do that..." So if MS lets them make something other than Kinect crap, they have ideas. So essentially, we might see a game in a few years. Also revisiting old franchises and adding a layer of Kinect is in direct contrast to the first thing stated above about originality,

I love Rare of old and even half of their output on the 360 (+ for Viva & Kameo, - for Banjo & PD0) but I can't help but look at this one as the glass is half empty.

Rare did it's best work on the N64, but I have to admit that Kinect Sports was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to what they can do with the new kinect. I hear KS Rivals is really, really good. More than one previewer compared the jet ski portion to Wave Race 64. That sounds great to me.
Yeah I saw footage of that and was like oh man that looks like Wave Race 64 with motion controls. That could be good but I'll miss out on the feedback of hitting the waves after jumps and getting air from other waves. Really with the new controller, I bet that sensation would be really cool.

Ryse's Gladiator Arena gameplay footage got me excited for the game, neat way to be able to let the game just come up with what you're going to have to face off against. That def looks like fun co-op.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA88bWXUo_o

As for Crimson Dragon, it didn't help that its initial trailer reveal had no sound. Yeah those technical difficulties really hurt it. I am looking forward to that game though too. I only played a little bit of Panzer Dragoon on my Xbox Prime, forgot why though.

Dude I remember getting a Saturn at (surprise) launch way back when and the original PAnzer Dragoon was a near religious experience, with the graphics and especially the orchestral soundtrack. Just having a new PD game at a console launch again is pretty cool. Not having audio for the big reveal did hurt this one early on.

So, Spy, you getting the X1 at launch now??? ;)

conker live and reloaded was great game perfect dark zero one of best launch titles for 360 vp was great kinect sports were all great kinect games and fun to play
I think you may be reaching for the wrong examples. Rare's recycling of its past series has never turned out particularly well. Conker Live and Reloaded was fine, but it was a straight port of a game that was already good. Perfect Dark Zero wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. I blame launch pressure.

Rare's best titles in the current gen have been the unexpected, experimental titles. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was an unexpected and fantastic game that added a new spin to the Banjo Kazooie franchise. And the Viva Pinata titles were fantastic.

Rare's reputation as an FPS studio was a fluke. They had two solid FPS titles in a time where console FPS titles were unheard of. Since then the people responsible for those titles left. Everyone would be able to enjoy Rare's output more if we all stopped expecting them to make multiplayer shooters. I'm quite eager to see what they make for the XBox One.

if rare is going to make a non kinect game i would want a new ip. I'm at the point in my gaming life that i get more fun out of new ip's then same old games.

Dude I remember getting a Saturn at (surprise) launch way back when and the original PAnzer Dragoon was a near religious experience, with the graphics and especially the orchestral soundtrack. Just having a new PD game at a console launch again is pretty cool. Not having audio for the big reveal did hurt this one early on.

So, Spy, you getting the X1 at launch now??? ;)
Lol if I can afford it.

Yeah I quite liked Child of Eden, a similar gaming experience and I played that with the controller and Kinect.

bread's done
Back