Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I'm not saying that'll never happen, but yeah, it'll never happen, That's the most non-committal answer ever...

They are probably looking to see how well Gaikai does. I honestly don't care unless I can get all my Games on Demand titles for free as downloads.

MS has stated the 360 will be supported till 2016, which means the consoles will be on shelves for beyond that so new consoles will always be readily available and I can easily just leave the 360 hooked up to play the older games.

I just hope by then the 360s WITH the hard drives are $200 by then. Though I only need to get a hard drive less version so those should be $130-$150, which will be a cheap replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn 10 officially announced that Bathurst is being included in FM5.

In October, about six weeks before launch, the Xbox One Holden Commodore will make its debut at the annual Bathurst 1000k race.  The course will be playable at a demo station at the track.

image.jpg

Might not mean a lot to the gamers here, but if you're a hardcore race fan, you understand how important this track is.  This track is the cornerstone of the Aussie Supercar scene.

It's also simply an awesome track.  Laguna Seca has 180 feet of elevation change in 2.2 miles.  The Spa circuit has about 400 feet of elevation change in about 4.3 miles,  Bathurst has 570 feet of elevation change, including a few corners where you cannot see the road over the hood of your car, in four miles.

An unofficial version of this track called "Blue Mountain Raceway" appeared in the first Forza.  This version is laser-scanned and completely official.  Further, it is currently rumored, not yet confirmed, that all real-world tracks, including the Nurburgring, have been laser-scanned for Forza 5.

Between this news, and NFL football kicking off tonight, this has been a pretty awesome day.  :D/

Whats funny is all the talk of the tv stuff they put on display before E3 was what I liked most about it.  Also being able to flip between what your doing with out looking for the remote.  I like the exclusive titles better on the PS4 as well as being able to change out the HD.  I was 100% on the PS4 side, but Im starting to rethink what I want.  I hate being on the fence.   

Whats funny is all the talk of the tv stuff they put on display before E3 was what I liked most about it. Also being able to flip between what your doing with out looking for the remote. I like the exclusive titles better on the PS4 as well as being able to change out the HD. I was 100% on the PS4 side, but Im starting to rethink what I want. I hate being on the fence.
Kick the fence down and buy both.

[quote name="qcjoe" post="11038648" timestamp="1378407366"]Whats funny is all the talk of the tv stuff they put on display before E3 was what I liked most about it. Also being able to flip between what your doing with out looking for the remote. I like the exclusive titles better on the PS4 as well as being able to change out the HD. I was 100% on the PS4 side, but Im starting to rethink what I want. I hate being on the fence. [/quote

The X1 is supposed to support and external HD post launch. This was talked about a few says ago.

Albert Penello is the man.

"Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80168873&postcount=708

I think the Cell processor would have made it powerful if developers had ever figured out how to utilize it better.

That thing was a double edge sword, I would like to see a multiplatform game built for each system, and see how they look against each other.

[quote name="qcjoe" post="11038648" timestamp="1378407366"]Whats funny is all the talk of the tv stuff they put on display before E3 was what I liked most about it. Also being able to flip between what your doing with out looking for the remote. I like the exclusive titles better on the PS4 as well as being able to change out the HD. I was 100% on the PS4 side, but Im starting to rethink what I want. I hate being on the fence. [/quote

The X1 is supposed to support and external HD post launch. This was talked about a few says ago.
I didnt hear that. Thanks for the info.

I think the Cell processor would have made it powerful if developers had ever figured out how to utilize it better.

That thing was a double edge sword, I would like to see a multiplatform game built for each system, and see how they look against each other.
I agree. It COULD have made a difference. All Sony had to do was shell out the money for devs to make it under their system then port to Xbox. Sadly, I heard, their cell system was much more of a pain to work with then a basic architecture.

Basically if Sony wants to boast of a better system pay the major devs to make it to Sony specs then allow the devs to port (i know its not a true port as they share the same architecture now, talking more about cloud based processing) to the Xbox. If they truly have a 10-20% before system then they could get the Xbox to drop some frame rates too low in later years. Would be a long term investment as release day games will probably barely push these systems.

This is a great interview with the Sess. Video form of what WV Matsui mentioned last page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QrZP0AmUvk
why is this guy not the main pr person for ms he should be the talker at press confs he explains things better then anyone at xbox that does confs.

just watching the end of this video made me sad alot of the good stuff about org plan for xbox one is gone. i would love if they give the people the choice down the road to pick a all digital xbox live account if they want one to share/sell digital games.

why is this guy not the main pr person for ms he should be the talker at press confs he explains things better then anyone at xbox that does confs.

just watching the end of this video made me sad alot of the good stuff about org plan for xbox one is gone. i would love if they give the people the choice down the road to pick a all digital xbox live account if they want one to share/sell digital games.

I would love to see more of Albert and more of Whitten. I really like both of them!

Wow, Albert posts on Neogaf? That's like, really awesome of him. That site is about 90% Sony Fanboyism at times. Everytime a XB1/360 topic is posted there? Forget it.

I really think way too many people are doubting the X1. We shall see though. I don't think it will be as much of a Sony show as many think it is going to be.
You can say that again. This will without question be the best generation yet for both consoles. Both Xbox and Playstation will see record sales. Xbox One is going to be just fine. In fact, it will be better than just fine. It will thrive. Anyone who thinks otherwise is only kidding themselves. Gaming has become the dominant form of entertainment the world over and now makes more money year to year than even movies make. The fact that modern day consoles actually combine gaming with entertainment like TV & movies only makes their continued success that much more of a given. Of course the real numbers lie in the general population, not with core gamers so the faster they can get the prices down on these consoles, the better the sales will be. They will see significant boosts with each successive drop. In regards to XBox One, I think the magic number will be around 300. Once it can reach that price point, which should be around the time they cease supporting the 360, you should see significant increases in total sales.

Sony will most likely win in regards to total number of units sold (worldwide), and could even edge out the Xbox One in the states, but in the end it will make little difference, short of bragging rights, as again both consoles will see record sales this generation. Even PC gaming has seen a huge resurgence. Its actually the increased sales of high end gaming computers (up around 9-10%) that basically evened out the significant decrease in overall computer sales this last year. Gaming has never been more popular and that means very good things for both the console market and the PC game market. This generation will be one for the books.

Indies can use the cloud

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/06/idxbox-hundred-and-hundreds-of-indies-signed-up-in-first-three-hours/

Wow, Albert posts on Neogaf? That's like, really awesome of him. That site is about 90% Sony Fanboyism at times. Everytime a XB1/360 topic is posted there? Forget it.
I'd say its more PC gamer dominated. But yeah, it's leaned Sony on the console side, and is very anti-X1 as its arguably the biggest hardcore gamer forum and that niche was the one most upset and vocal about the DRM, and they haven't been forgiving at all after the 180s.

Anyway, I like the site and post over there more since CAG is so slow lately. The number of posts per day has been declining here for ages and the move to CAG 3.0 seems to have accelerated that. I also like that GAF is tightly moderated so you don't get all the personal attacks and trolling that are so rampant here anymore.

MS isn't playing around. Smart glass is going to be awesome as well.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/ent-xbox-one-smartglass

Awesome or not, they are doing a terrible job selling it, it hasn't even made enough to cover advertising for it, much less make a profit. It's part of the reason analysts are calling for MS to get out of the devices buisness all together, even to the point of dropping/spinning off the XBox division, which makes money but apparently is an incredibly tiny fish in a giant ocean.

MS isn't playing around. Smart glass is going to be awesome as well.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/ent-xbox-one-smartglass
This. I saw so much potential for smart glass when it launched. If they construct the one with this in mind then it can be amazing.

Even just simple things like being able to pull up the in game map on your tablet while you're playing the game etc. simple simple things that could be all so helpful.

I also saw they can massively push board games/card games with the interactive smartglass. Especially for local players. Right now to play some of the board games (Risk, Clue, Catan) you either have to look away or its not possible. With smartglass that changes.

Or while waiting for match making you could bring up a lobby poker game (or other game) on the fly by just hitting a couple buttons on your smartglass device.

Yeah most of this can be done on a device, but not all have the same OS.

I really really like that SmartGlass works for any device you have and not the one the company is selling, cough Nintendo cough. However that said it is obvious this is a direct competition move against Nintendo and what they did with integrating their gamepad with the game on screen.

I've read many journalists being very pleased and surprised about the SmartGlass integration in Dead Rising 3, it does more than just call down airstrikes. I've got SmartGlass loaded on my 7" Android tablet, which I picked up for $75 online so suck that Apple.

Awesome or not, they are doing a terrible job selling it, it hasn't even made enough to cover advertising for it, much less make a profit. It's part of the reason analysts are calling for MS to get out of the devices buisness all together, even to the point of dropping/spinning off the XBox division, which makes money but apparently is an incredibly tiny fish in a giant ocean.

Yeah don't see MS getting out of the console business...

Erad is at it again when will he just admit he hates ms and wants xbox one to fail? Anyways about smart glass I really think smart glass on 360 was just a test run pretty much beta version and testing it for xbox one. I think smart glass for x1 will be great.

Um you sure need to check sales numbers video games have been breaking sale numbers in any form of entertainment yes most people hate cod but that game has broken tons of entertainment sale numbers

Nah, Nintendo will do fine.

And no, who ever said Video games are now bigger than movies/making more than movies, just no, lol.
Yup, the profits for the video game industry has surpassed the profits of Hollywood. Film's ideas are dying out and it's becoming harder to get people into the theater more and more no less due to increased movie ticket prices.

Um you sure need to check sales numbers video games have been breaking sale numbers in any form of entertainment yes most people hate cod but that game has broken tons of entertainment sale numbers
Can you post these numbers? Cause I'm guessing your talking about total revenue of game sales vs total revenue of film sales.

I was exactly talking about DVD/Blu Ray sales.

Those articles are all talking about just in the UK and not globally or even the US.

Sooo, COD is all of video games?

Is there a break down of over all sells? As in box office + blu ray/dvd sells globally?

[quote name="Deader2818" post="11040998" timestamp="1378502664"]
Sooo, COD is all of video games?

Is there a break down of over all sells? As in box office + blu ray/dvd sells globally?[/quote]
Dude you seriously are a troll. You asked how video games are bigger than movies. COD is just ONE game. How do you think the rest of the industry stacks up? Pretty damn good. You just love to argue don't you? :lol:

Why don't you research it?

Dude you seriously are a troll. You asked how video games are bigger than movies. COD is just ONE game. How do you think the rest of the industry stacks up? Pretty damn good. You just love to argue don't you? :lol: Why don't you research it?
I am not trolling. Im asking for a little more than just one game series. COD is a huge series but in the grand scope of things, the numbers might be more even than what was shown there.

Having a discussion is not trolling.

Black list me if you do not want to discuss then.

I guess it wouldn't be that much of a shock if the video games industry is bigger. Games cost more, the numbers I see online also factor in DLC and Facebook games, sheer number of games over movies, and consoles themselves.

I wonder how big the difference would be if they were on more equal footing.

Wow, sounds like a horrible deal. I don't want a console that has games that won't work unless connected to the Internet.

Wait, what? The "entertainment industry"? I'm pretty fucking sure more hours are spent watching regular old TV than playing video games.

Genius! Nothing like taking a positive article for indies and trying to spin it. And poorly at that. :lol:

bread's done
Back