Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Damn, I knew the console was huge...

original.jpg

Hopefully MS will bring out the money bags again for the sequels.
Why? Some internet epeen competition? Like I said above, EA choked on this one. They have the buzz and the hot new title that could have rivaled CoD in sales, but they're now settling for (at best) Halo & Gears* numbers since they cut their user base in half over a moneyhat. Makes me wonder if they know something about the game we don't. Maybe hesitant that it could be as good as people expect and think the moneyhat is the easier way to go. i.e. if it turns out mediocre, the moneyhat was the best decision.

*not that those numbers are bad, but they're nowhere near CoD numbers.

Yes....as I stated in the quote. Those games, even with Rockstar having made them, did not sell as well as another well known Rockstar game that goes by the name of GTA.
Not the same comparison though. Those are three very different games than GTA. Titanfall is basically Mech of Duty. i.e. CoD with a fresh coat of paint and a new name.

I wish Major Nelson or someone would come out and clarify if Xbox One supports MP3 custom soundtracks.
Don't recall the exact wording but I'm 99% sure it's no, because I use it a bunch and remember getting annoyed by the lack of support around e3. IIRC, you can do custom soundtracks but only through their $10/mo Zune pass.

Wtf, is that a house.
A dumpster for all the unwanted kinects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you're hilarious. The Tonight Show might be interested in your services.

It's so unwanted the inferior version sold millions as a separate piece of hardware, GTFO.
It shifted millions, as an accessory for a console that had already sold multiple tens of millions. You know what performed about as well? Wii Fit boards.

Just because Microsoft managed to sell themselves some Kinects doesn't make it the next big thing. While the accessory was able to get some decent traction, the novelty had worn off somewhat, and sales had fallen off somewhat by the time the XBox One was announced. We have yet to see if basing a large chunk of the XBox One around the Kinect is going to work out like they wanted.

If they can just get developers to support it properly, it will have been worth it. If not, it will be an anchor around the neck of the system.

Not the same comparison though. Those are three very different games than GTA. Titanfall is basically Mech of Duty. i.e. CoD with a fresh coat of paint and a new name.
LA Noire and Max Payne, sure. I'll give you those. Red Dead is wild west GTA. And it had a stronger userbase than GTA IV did and still didn't sell as well.

Wow, came back to CAG after a long hiatus to see if I could find any Xbox One info beyond rumors and find a hostile thread......guess CAG hasn't changed  :twoguns:

Wow, you're hilarious. The Tonight Show might be interested in your services.

It's so unwanted the inferior version sold millions as a separate piece of hardware, GTFO.
Butthurt much? It was a joke. Lighten up Francis.

Just because Microsoft managed to sell themselves some Kinects doesn't make it the next big thing. While the accessory was able to get some decent traction, the novelty had worn off somewhat, and sales had fallen off somewhat by the time the XBox One was announced. We have yet to see if basing a large chunk of the XBox One around the Kinect is going to work out like they wanted.
Exactly. How many of those millions of people that bought Kinects were so won over they can't wait to get their hands on K2.0? 10%?

I have one collecting dust. Fool me once...

Wow, came back to CAG after a long hiatus to see if I could find any Xbox One info beyond rumors and find a hostile thread......guess CAG hasn't changed :twoguns:
Still mostly rumors, MS is keeping quiet. Titanfall is exclusive (T2 will be multi-plat). There are some resolution debates for the launch lineup. Not sure what's actually confirmed though.

I have a Kinect, and I've already gotten a decent amount of use out of it. Picked up all three Dance Central games at very reasonable prices. Those titles are great as an exercise regimen, they really get the blood pumping.

But not every game could or should be Dance Central. In order for the Kinect to really shine it needs to be utilized in other ways, that really take advantage of what its capable of. And we simply haven't seen that happening from most developers.

I'm still waiting to see a proper voice-controlled trivia game that uses standard controllers for the buzzers. Why haven't they produced a proper Jeopardy game for the Kinect? The Kinect could be great. Instead it's still in gimmick territory.

Butthurt much? It was a joke. Lighten up Francis.

Exactly. How many of those millions of people that bought Kinects were so won over they can't wait to get their hands on K2.0? 10%?

I understand there are lots of people who don't want Kinect but also lots that do. My opinion is that the new version is better than the novelty of the first. Just my opinion.

I understand there are lots of people who don't want Kinect but also lots that do. My opinion is that the new version is better than the novelty of the first. Just my opinion.
In terms of technicality, I think it is provably better than its predecessor. There is no argument there. The new version of the Kinect is going to be more capable than what came before. What's really important is whether or not that potential is going to be utilized properly.

A big deciding factor for the first few years of the XBox One is going to be how well the Kinect works for voice commands. If they manage to pull that off properly, they will be able to leverage it as a selling point to a very broad audience. That sort of functionality feels like the future. And in many cases it can significantly improve the user experience. We'll know more when the XBox One actually arrives and we start getting first-hand accounts of use cases.

Also, there is the problem that a lot of those features can be easily co-opted by the PS4 for less money. The PS4's Kinect-equivalent is going to be available at launch, will sell for cheaper, and is apparently going to be able to utilize voice commands as well. The challenge for Microsoft is that their solution has to perform better, much better.

I don't regret getting my Kinect, but I wasn't blown away.  I'm indifferent with it's inclusion with the X1 but I understand the persistence that it is included in every box.  To me, the first Kinect was worth it for Fable Journey and Gunstringer, both insanely under-appreciated games that the so-called "hardcore" crowd should have enjoyed.  Beyond that, my kids and I had good times with K-Adventures and the double-fine games.  All in all, I can't complain. 

And in time for Halloween, Haunt is a really cool game that made good use of the Kinect. 

What happen to that lady that took over Mattrick's job? We haven't heard or seen from her once and she is suppose to be leading the xbox division...

What happen to that lady that took over Mattrick's job? We haven't heard or seen from her once and she is suppose to be leading the xbox division...
it takes awhile for most bigger companys for the higher up people to not be fully in the job for awhile. Its possible we see her near launch i would guess would be good way to introduce her.

True. Just going on what Vince said, but he was adamant about T1 being on PS4 and EA pulled the rug out. Could very likely happen again.

In terms of technicality, I think it is provably better than its predecessor. There is no argument there. The new version of the Kinect is going to be more capable than what came before. What's really important is whether or not that potential is going to be utilized properly.
Agreed. I have no doubt K2.0 will be better but they still haven't given us a reason why it's needed. Replacing my universal remote isn't a reason, IMO. It will be great for dance and exercise games, but there are a helluva lot of people that don't give a rats ass about those. So right now it looks like those uninterested in Kinect can view that extra $100 as a downpayment on Titanfall.

I don't regret getting my Kinect, but I wasn't blown away. I'm indifferent with it's inclusion with the X1 but I understand the persistence that it is included in every box. To me, the first Kinect was worth it for Fable Journey and Gunstringer, both insanely under-appreciated games that the so-called "hardcore" crowd should have enjoyed. Beyond that, my kids and I had good times with K-Adventures and the double-fine games. All in all, I can't complain.

And in time for Halloween, Haunt is a really cool game that made good use of the Kinect.
Yup, K-Adventures and K-Sports made some good memories the Christmas when I got it with the family. I have played a lot more times with K-Sports too, a few more gaming sessions with Adventures to grab the achievements.

Don't forget Child of Eden, a game that could be played either way - this is how you do it - but was a totally different experience when you used the Kinect for the controls.

K-Fruit Ninja was also good and was a great party game imo.

For the people getting both PS4 and XBOX ONE, I know there are some people out there doing this, what version of the cross-platform games are you getting?  I was leaning towards the ONE, but after the 720p vs 1080p debate, I'm leaning towards the PS4 now.  I suppose the controller and friends matter also.

For the people getting both PS4 and XBOX ONE, I know there are some people out there doing this, what version of the cross-platform games are you getting? I was leaning towards the ONE, but after the 720p vs 1080p debate, I'm leaning towards the PS4 now. I suppose the controller and friends matter also.
PS4 version unless reviews show parity. I agree with you on the controller. If there's a game that utilizes the rumble triggers, I would consider that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look like there will be a Gears of War on Xbox One anytime soon, if ever:

dlc4_action_ward_26251.nphd.jpg

Gears of War ran its course on 360, says Microsoft
by Steve Watts, Nov 01, 2013 8:30am PDT

Related Topics – Gears of War: Judgment, xbox 360, Microsoft, Epic Games, Gears of War Series, Xbox One
The Gears of War series helped define Xbox 360. As Xbox One fast approaches, Microsoft Game Studios VP Phil Spencer suggested that they'd like to see more Gears games going into the next generation, but that he thinks they should reexamine the direction after Gears of War: Judgment's middling reception.

"I want to find a great Gears game, and I thought we did a good job with Judgment but I don't think it hit the level of quality we saw in the previous games," Spencer told IGN. "I think review scores showed that, sales showed that, and I really think that we need to take a step back with Epic and think about--I don't want to call it a reboot, because it's kind of an overused term--but think about where that franchise goes and how to expand what it was."

He said the series "did kind of run its course on 360," and that its story doesn't support as many games as the Halo series. That is, at least in its current incarnation. He suggested they would need to "expand the universe and what people are doing" to make it viable for future games. "Maybe take it more gritty, I don't know," he said.

One way to inject some new life into the franchise could be to find a new team. He says he'd "love to have that conversation" with Epic, but that Gears has been put on the backburner for the studio. Judgment was developed in part by People Can Fly. "Trying to find another team to do that game I think is possible, but you'd want to make sure you did that very carefully along with them to make sure we have the right thing in place," he said.

For the people getting both PS4 and XBOX ONE, I know there are some people out there doing this, what version of the cross-platform games are you getting? I was leaning towards the ONE, but after the 720p vs 1080p debate, I'm leaning towards the PS4 now. I suppose the controller and friends matter also.
Controller and friends matter most to me. Personally, if it's an FPS game it'll most likely be on X1. I've spent the past two days playing with DS4 and I still like the 360 controller better. What can I say....I'm a fan of the offset analog sticks. Otherwise, almost everything else will be on the PS4.

I really wish I understood the love for offset sticks. Always found it less comfortable. To each their own.

As for Gears of War, that kind of sucks. Never played Judgement, and I don't know why they would make a series decision based on that one considering how different it sounded. Plus, was it even the same studio? I thought People Can Fly did the majority of the work on that game, not Epic?

Doesn't look like there will be a Gears of War on Xbox One anytime soon, if ever:

dlc4_action_ward_26251.nphd.jpg

Gears of War ran its course on 360, says Microsoft
by Steve Watts, Nov 01, 2013 8:30am PDT