Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i install every single game i have for 360 and have 250 gb hd and have close to 100 gb left 500 gb is plenty[/QUOTE]

So you have no arcade games then?

[quote name='CodeTrader']My 250 GB HDD on my 360 is full and it's mostly arcade games. I can't even imagine if my full game collection had to be on the HDD. 500 seems too low.[/QUOTE]

Well, you're in luck because you won't be able to bring those arcade games to the next console which gives you that much more room for the next generation!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']360 disc maximum size was 9.4gb because of DVD limitations, with the new games being blu ray they can be as big as 50gb, here let me math it up for ya

9.4gb game/250gb HDD= maximum of 3.76% of your HDD per disc

50gb game/500gb HDD=maximum of 10% of your HDD per disc

Now do you understand where the problem comes from?[/QUOTE]

which is another reason why this MUST install game to play talk good chance is just BS. why would thye only put in 500 gb hdd into the system if you have to install every single blu ray game on your hdd

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well, you're in luck because you won't be able to bring those arcade games to the next console which gives you that much more room for the next generation![/QUOTE]

Lol. I still can't believe that. I mean, the games are fucking digital, how fucking hard can it be to move them over to the new Xbox.

[quote name='Vap']Lol. I still can't believe that. I mean, the games are fucking digital, how fucking hard can it be to move them over to the new Xbox.[/QUOTE]

it's so people don't sell their 360 and help pay for xbox one

[quote name='dallow']That's because...

DvilFfz.png
[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='screwkick']Xbox One Will Not Function Without Kinect Attached

Xbox's UK marketing director has said that without Kinect connected, Xbox One will not function.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached[/QUOTE]

Wait... what? That's fucking stupid.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']which is another reason why this MUST install game to play talk good chance is just BS. why would thye only put in 500 gb hdd into the system if you have to install every single blu ray game on your hdd[/QUOTE]

To make you buy more propriety HDs? Look at something like Vita and PSPgo, eventually we all needed to go out and buy more memory. Makes sense to bring that to a larger scale and make more money.

[quote name='bardockkun']Yeah, that rage.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Whatever, I honestly don't give two shits about the XBOX One or even the 360, if it weren't for the 50+ games I own I would have sold it long ago. Sony won me over with the Playstation 4 and that's my Next Generation system of choice.

just amazes me that ps4 and 360 are pretty much the same dang system at least the guts of the system are all the same. this gen will come down to the online services,exlusive games and lets be honest the entertainment. Both sony and microsoft are fighting to be the one system you do everything on it's not all about us gamers anymore sadly.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Even before they introduced DRM, PC games had a relatively small used market. Plus there were always alternatives... people do care that Steam has DRM, so they buy console games. Now console games are getting DRM as well.

It's not just about the money either. When you put in DRM that means that the game can become unavailable at any time. Up until now every single-player game that had a retail release on console (not download only) could be played without any involvement from the content provider. 20 years from now if you want to play a PS3 or Xbox 360 game (or any previous generation's game) you can with no worries. If you want to play an Xbox One game you better hope that Microsoft is still supporting the system.[/QUOTE]

This is a good point. Add to that the fact that offline Xbox's are not going to be around anymore.

Another thing, buy a game day one, install it, dump it on eBay. This would ENCOURAGE used game sales unless a new registration deactivated the previous license. That means that my kids couldn't swap between profiles on a game without paying 5 or 10 dollars every time. It also means you can't loan a game to a friend without paying 10 to reactivate it yourself. I doubt they'd go this route and let the initial activation retain its license when activated elsewhere.

only thing i see in these systems that might hold it back is only having 8 gb's of ram in the systems. the 8 core cpus are fine for years to come but most avg computers today have at least 6.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']You can't move digital games over? LOL

Wow, this just gets worse.

This makes my console decision easy.[/QUOTE]

sony has yet to say if ps4 cna use ps3 arcade games yet

I am pretty sure this is the same for the PS4. You might be able to play them via the Gaikai (still not confirmed for all games) system but they never said for free either. Neither system has backwards compatibility so that is a wash.

With all this chatter about what the XBOX One can/cannot do, will they still offer a free membership or will you be forced to buy GOLD?

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am pretty sure this is the same for the PS4. You might be able to play them via the Gaikai (still not confirmed for all games) system but they never said for free either. Neither system has backwards compatibility so that is a wash.[/QUOTE]

The backwards compatibility amazes me. I don't get why they would limit this. Adding versatility to a console increases it's value, no?

[quote name='chatgirl4']With all this chatter about what the XBOX One can/cannot do, will they still offer a free membership or will you be forced to buy GOLD?[/QUOTE]

i really think it might turn into a free service they added 300 k more servers and rumors going around they may be going sony way and allow free but offer a pay for package like plus is

Um I am definitely out, backwards compatibility killed it, so all those digital games I bought now will not transfer over. What is to become of XBLA, I bet its gonna be awful hard for games to sell on there now that the announcement has been made. Thank god I didn't spend a lot on MS points like some people did (just a couple $20 cards). Yes you will be able to have those games on your system but when the 360 live goes belly up you are screwed or if your system dies. At least I will be able to play my games as long as my system stays functioning.

Nintendo doesn't have much at this point, but they do have a core game console with full backwards compatibility. If I bought Nintendo I also don't have to pay a fee to swap games with someone, I can put in the game and play and that is it. I guess I should have a lot of respect for them, being the only company to allow this. Even though Nintendo ties games to hardware I actually feel much safer buying digital content from them now.

The cable stuff is moot because it only works with AT&T or Comcast from what I read, I am not even in an area that supports Comcast, and I am not going to move to one just to be able to use this console effectively.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i really think it might turn into a free service they added 300 k more servers and rumors going around they may be going sony way and allow free but offer a pay for package like plus is[/QUOTE]

Hopefully E3 will answer all (or hopefully most) of our questions...

[quote name='chatgirl4']With all this chatter about what the XBOX One can/cannot do, will they still offer a free membership or will you be forced to buy GOLD?[/QUOTE]

If XBL was going to be free they would have announced it today but MS is never going to let that lovely golden goose go, Live just makes them to much money. Sony may push PS+ more this time and make it more like Live so to make some money back on the console. Hopefully they will keep the free game offer for members.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']The backwards compatibility amazes me. I don't get why they would limit this. Adding versatility to a console increases it's value, no?[/QUOTE]

Not really if anything its the smartest move they can keep selling PS3s at a discount and still turn a profit while at the same time concentrate on PS4.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i install every single game i have for 360 and have 250 gb hd and have close to 100 gb left 500 gb is plenty[/QUOTE]

really? I compiled a list yesterday of my XBLA/GoD Games and excluded free ones. I'm dying for space on my 250GB. Heres the list not including 5-8 Disc installs or DLC for disc based games. I had to delete several installed disc games just to have a few free gigs.

sadly i won't be able to play them on the XO as it's not backwards compatible....and I don't currently plan on purchasing it, so kind of a moot point.
A World of Keflings + DLC
Alan Wake + DLC that was included with game(God)
Assassin's Creed 3 (God)
BloodRayne: Betrayal
Call of Duty Classic
Child of Eden (GoD)
Comic Jumper
D&D Draggerdale
Dead Pixels (Indie)
Dead Space Ignition
Diabolical Pitch
Earthworm Jim HD
Fallout: New Vegas (God)
FEZ
Fruit Ninja Kinect
Full House Poker
Gears of War (GoD)
Ghostbusters Sanctum of Slime
Halo Reach (GoD)
Hexic HD
Hitman Sniper Challenge
ilomilo
Jet Set Radio
Joe Danger SE
Joe Danger 2: The Movie
Lego Star Wars III
Ms. Splosion Man
Pac-Man CE DX
Peggle + DLC
Plants vs. Zombies
R-Type Dimensions
Raskulls
Snoopy Flying Ace
South Park:Tenorman's Revenge
Spelunky
Splosion Man
Super Meat Boy
The Maw
The Splatters
The Walking Dead
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Wreckateer
X-Men The Arcade Game

I'm in the same boat as the OP, if the full details are revealed and this game license bullshit is confirmed.

Although I really don't think this can slide with consumers... and I think this will be updated before the launch of the console.

But who knows, there's millions of people who pay xbox live every year despite online services being free on other consoles. They might just get away with this on the average casual gamer which it looks like this console is catered towards (Call of Duty, Halo, Madden).

[quote name='ColFantastic']Steam games cost much less than a console copy and with many titles, it is ridiculously cheaper.[/QUOTE]
I see a lot of people making this argument.
But with savvy CAG shopping and timely trade-ins/eBay selling, it typically costs less than $2 to play each game. Hell, this is me being a CAG newbie, a lot of veteran CAGs haven't paid out of the pocket for games in years.

EDIT: How will the system know the disc has been installed once already? Some sort of simple burning mechanism?

Neither system (PS4, XboxOne) is BC because the new systems are completely different in CPU architecture.

It doesn't matter if it's retail or digital games.

[quote name='Shimrra']If XBL was going to be free they would have announced it today but MS is never going to let that lovely golden goose go, Live just makes them to much money. Sony may push PS+ more this time and make it more like Live so to make some money back on the console. Hopefully they will keep the free game offer for members.[/QUOTE]

It won't go free especially since they spent some time with the unveiling speaking about how many servers they have for live.

[quote name='tokyostomp']really? I compiled a list yesterday of my XBLA/GoD Games and excluded free ones. I'm dying for space on my 250GB. Heres the list not including 5-8 Disc installs or DLC for disc based games

A World of Keflings + DLC
Alan Wake + DLC that was included with game(God)
Assassin's Creed 3 (God)
BloodRayne: Betrayal
Call of Duty Classic
Child of Eden (GoD)
Comic Jumper
D&D Draggerdale
Dead Pixels (Indie)
Dead Space Ignition
Diabolical Pitch
Earthworm Jim HD
Fallout: New Vegas (God)
FEZ
Fruit Ninja Kinect
Full House Poker
Gears of War (GoD)
Ghostbusters Sanctum of Slime
Halo Reach (GoD)
Hexic HD
Hitman Sniper Challenge
ilomilo
Jet Set Radio
Joe Danger SE
Joe Danger 2: The Movie
Lego Star Wars III
Ms. Splosion Man
Pac-Man CE DX
Peggle + DLC
Plants vs. Zombies
R-Type Dimensions
Raskulls
Snoopy Flying Ace
South Park:Tenorman's Revenge
Spelunky
Splosion Man
Super Meat Boy
The Maw
The Splatters
The Walking Dead
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Wreckateer
X-Men The Arcade Game[/QUOTE]

let's face it microsoft and sony are trying to get the avg gamer to buy these new systems and trying ot be THE thing you turn to when doing anything on your tv. avg gamers don't buy tons of arcade games.

I'm still attempting to understand the truth from rumors, but the two things I still cannot understand are:

(1) Why is Kinect required to function? Some-sort of bundle could be nice (not for me personally) in order to possibly sway users who otherwise would have no interest in purchasing one, but why force it?

(2) Who the heck are they marketing? I completely understand that the streaming crowd could lure in quite a lot of people, but I could almost guarantee none of my co-workers, significant other, or parent will ever say they are in the market for an 'Xbox One'.

the more and more i look into this press conf i can see why they did what they did. This event was a by invite only conf good chance the higher ups in the company and what not. If having all this tv stuff today and cuts it out fully in e3 press conf i would be pretty happy. E3 press conf is pretty much full of games including me and will be happy if all we see is legit gameplay of the 15 exlusives.

[quote name='Vap']Lol. I still can't believe that. I mean, the games are fucking digital, how fucking hard can it be to move them over to the new Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Digital games are made with the same tools as disc based games. If the Xbox One can't play disc based 360 games why would it be able to play digital ones?

[quote name='dallow']Neither system (PS4, XboxOne) is BC because the new systems are completely different in CPU architecture.

It doesn't matter if it's retail or digital games.[/QUOTE]
I never understood why people think XBLA and PSN games are somehow made differently than retail games. Just because they may be simpler/smaller doesn't mean that they're not made for the exact same system as the big games.

[quote name='SaraAB']Um I am definitely out, backwards compatibility killed it, so all those digital games I bought now will not transfer over. What is to become of XBLA, I bet its gonna be awful hard for games to sell on there now that the announcement has been made. Thank god I didn't spend a lot on MS points like some people did (just a couple $20 cards). Yes you will be able to have those games on your system but when the 360 live goes belly up you are screwed or if your system dies. At least I will be able to play my games as long as my system stays functioning.

Nintendo doesn't have much at this point, but they do have a core game console with full backwards compatibility. If I bought Nintendo I also don't have to pay a fee to swap games with someone, I can put in the game and play and that is it. I guess I should have a lot of respect for them, being the only company to allow this. Even though Nintendo ties games to hardware I actually feel much safer buying digital content from them now.

The cable stuff is moot because it only works with AT&T or Comcast from what I read, I am not even in an area that supports Comcast, and I am not going to move to one just to be able to use this console effectively.[/QUOTE]

Well, now we know why EA is eliminating the online pass and why they aren't supporting the Wii U (besides the obvious tiny install base).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I never understood why people think XBLA and PSN games are somehow made differently than retail games. Just because they may be simpler/smaller doesn't mean that they're not made for the exact same system as the big games.[/QUOTE]
Me neither. Gamers really need some fundamental knowledge on microarchitecture and ISAs, and how programs work on hardware.

[quote name='bardockkun']Yeah, that rage.[/QUOTE]

Whatever, my mind was made up WAY before today's unveiling, Microshit had one chance to convince me to purchase the XBOX One along with the Playstation 4, but from what we seen, I have absolutely no desire to plop down several hundred dollars to invest in a system that forces me to use Kintect 2, that prohibits me from playing online unless I spend $60 or so extra, that blocks me from playing games on another gamer tag/console unless I pay a fee, it just makes no sense to buy one.

[quote name='antlp89']I'm in the same boat as the OP, if the full details are revealed and this game license bullshit is confirmed.

Although I really don't think this can slide with consumers... and I think this will be updated before the launch of the console.

But who knows, there's millions of people who pay xbox live every year despite online services being free on other consoles. They might just get away with this on the average casual gamer which it looks like this console is catered towards (Call of Duty, Halo, Madden).[/QUOTE]

i have all systems and i pay for live. I think live servers are much better and faster then psn. stuff download faster on live and i think the stuff live as a entertainment standpoint is over and ahead of what psn offers. Plus i think the online community is just better on live with mics and all that.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i have all systems and i pay for live. I think live servers are much better and faster then psn. stuff download faster on live and i think the stuff live as a entertainment standpoint is over and ahead of what psn offers. Plus i think the online community is just better on live with mics and all that.[/QUOTE]

What XBL community are you playing in? lol

Yeah... I'm not getting the XB1 at launch because of the DRM stuff. I'm leaning towards getting the PS4 at launch, but I still think it would probably be better to wait.

[quote name='chatgirl4']Whatever, my mind was made up WAY before today's unveiling, Microshit had one chance to convince me to purchase the XBOX One along with the Playstation 4, but from what we seen, I have absolutely no desire to plop down several hundred dollars to invest in a system that forces me to use Kintect 2, that prohibits me from playing online unless I spend $60 or so extra, that blocks me from playing games on another gamer tag/console unless I pay a fee, it just makes no sense to buy one.[/QUOTE]

again that fee thing has never come out of a mouth of the main people we see at xbox press conf's only some random guy at microsoft and from a article. another thing how will they know a game disc has been played or watch gamer tag it belongs too

[quote name='TooPoor']Me neither. Gamers really need some fundamental knowledge on microarchitecture and ISAs, and how programs work on hardware.[/QUOTE]

Speaking strictly for the digital games as a layman... why not follow the method used to make these games work across the Wii/PS3/360? PS2 games run on the PS3 as PS2 Classics via emulation, wouldn't it be prudent for the creators of current gen Xbox Live Arcade and PS Network games to patch them for compatibility?

Once again I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer programming, just speaking from my past observations.

[quote name='bardockkun']More confirmed because they quoted the exact same article from Wired that we've all been discussing?[/QUOTE]

I love how the title says "confirmed", but the article then rehashes the wired article that says Microsoft hasn't confirmed it. Gotta love great journalism.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']What XBL community are you playing in? lol[/QUOTE]

you must not play alot of games online lol man great games have great community. call of duty have given online gaming a bad name

[quote name='JoelyPoley']I love how the title says "confirmed", but the article then rehashes the wired article that says Microsoft hasn't confirmed it. Gotta love great journalism.[/QUOTE]

Unless Wired updated theirs, there was an additional piece in the linked article stating from Jon Hicks (editor at Xbox Magazine) that:

On second hand games: you buy disc, it installs, you play from HD. Sell disc, it installs to new console and deactivates your install.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Yeah... I'm not getting the XB1 at launch because of the DRM stuff. I'm leaning towards getting the PS4 at launch, but I still think it would probably be better to wait.[/QUOTE]

again what drm stuff? they already confermed you DON"t need to be online to play a game just like every other system ever made.

[quote name='chatgirl4']Whatever, my mind was made up WAY before today's unveiling, Microshit had one chance to convince me to purchase the XBOX One along with the Playstation 4, but from what we seen, I have absolutely no desire to plop down several hundred dollars to invest in a system that forces me to use Kintect 2, that prohibits me from playing online unless I spend $60 or so extra, that blocks me from playing games on another gamer tag/console unless I pay a fee, it just makes no sense to buy one.[/QUOTE]
If your mind was made up, then pray tell what were you hoping they'd do to change your mind? For me I'm reserving judgement on the console itself until I see games that I give a shit about and we get more solid, grounded facts; but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that presentation was made from ass. It was the exact same presentation we've seen at every E3 for the past four years (new features to make it a bigger part of your living room, EA Sports game with new "physics" engine bullshit, CALL OF DUTY), but for a console they're unveiling for the first time and that was just the biggest waste of time ever.

[quote name='bardockkun']More confirmed because they quoted the exact same article from Wired that we've all been discussing?[/QUOTE]

didn't read it, just skimmed and posted link.

was not a statement hence the question mark

as 4thhorseman pointed out
"Jon Hicks, the editor of Official Xbox magazine, has claimed that pre-owned games will be un-installed from the previous owner's system and installed onto another's. It is not clear if this process would negate a pre-owned fee."

Also via his Twitter feed @MrJonty
"On second hand games: you buy disc, it installs, you play from HD. Sell disc, it installs to new console and deactivates your install.
12:20 PM - 21 May 2013 "

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back