Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely speculative at this point, and if the current models of XBL and Marketplace serves as an indication as to how Microsoft is going run the next gen digital sales, I think you will be disappointed. 3-4 year old games still go for at or near their original price points. Also, I would guess that Microsoft would want a % of third party digital games sold through their next gen marketplace. Again speculation, but just my thoughts.
I don't expect it to change until the plug is finally pulled on used games. The presence of these goofy psuedo discs are just going to keep things the same as they are now for digital pricing. Sony is pretty much just as bad, though to their credit they have enacted a 10% discount on new Vita games, which has mostly been standard except for a few exceptions.
The poi t being made was that XBLA games aren't on disks and those sales require you to pay to take part in then and they are never as good as steam and their best ones take YEARS and have maybe 2 games on Black Friday.
There is nothing wrong with a middleman. They have built a business around selling used games, used game people want because $50 is much more palatable than $60. Maybe $10 means nothing to you but it may mean a lot to some people.
if you can't afford 60 bucks why could you afford 50
Yes because people are only buying 1 game for their console and that is it, as opposed to say 10, 20 or even 50+ games which equates to $100, $200 or even $500 in savings.

No one said anything about not being able to afford $60. It's a matter of how you want to spend your money.
Exactly. I for one can afford both consoles no problem but I'm simply not buying x1 because its a rip off.

It's been brought up before but the AAA model for games is pretty broken and there isn't really room for mid-level games in terms of budget or sales. We saw this with Dead Space 3 & Tomb Raider. Those franchises aren't that big and were expected to do COD type numbers.
The problem really resides with the publishers and their investors. It isn't about making good games anymore. It's all about making blockbusters that make people rich or getting a game out the door to meet a movie deadline and cash in on the tie-in. This is also why we're seeing an uprising of Indie games and Kickstarter(or the like) funded projects. Publishers always shaft the developers and you can see great game studios fail, even when the publisher is making excellent profit.

This whole used game debate is just going in circles yet one side still doesn't understand the consequence of going full digital with a closed platform that can't compare to an open marketplace which is steam.

The argument is that used games need to be banned to help out publishers. When in reality the publishers could give two shits about us. They will still go out of business even if we all buy $60 games if they are greedy and mismanaged with crazy expectations. Hmm... sounds like the banks and wall street.

In the end Microsoft isn't doing anyone favors by still allowing used games but for "participating retailers" only. This ain't going to hurt GameStop, this is just going to hurt your fellow CAGs. You know the same CAGs on this forum that help you get deals on your games.

Take your blinders off and realize that going full digital does not guarantee better sales from Sony or MS. Publishers will keep increasing the price to as much as the market will bear before backing off if we go full digital. Let just say if I'm wrong and we do get better deals. At least it is a win win situation. But what happens if I'm right, go full digital, and no sales like steam? We essentially screwed ourselves out of options and GameStop will still be here. GameStop isn't stupid they know the market is changing and they are switching to more than just games.

I hope neither one of you have ever rented a movie from a video store or Red Box. Think of all the lost sales you have caused over the years..
Someone dosent know that the movie industry gets money each time a video is renting from a video store, red box, or a streaming service. Gaming publishers/developers do not. Which by the way is the only media that dosent. (Since music gets profit per song stream as well)
No they don't, only digital rentals, they get commission off each sale. Physical discs are bought at wholesale price from the distributors that is it. They don't get a commission off each physical disc rental. If they want to buy the physical discs at wholesale price they have to agree to terms set by the movie distributor like 30 days after a DVD release. If they don't agree they can still buy the movies at retail price which will cost them more.
I'll admit my information was extremely old, since I havent worked as a manager at block buster in literally 15 years, so yeah it has changed a bit.

Back then we had a 60/40 model. We kept 60%, Publishers kept 40%.

However, I'll stand by the statement, since after fact checking streaming still does result in per click profits, and since it's the way a majority of people view movies these days... the actual thesis stands.

Gaming is the *only* media in which a publisher's only profit margin comes from the initial sale of the game or dlc package.

so people cry about xbox one bing anti consumer an telling people not to support it but yet they will gladly pay 50 bucks for a used game when they only give 20 to people for that game. Who in their right mind would accept 20 dollers for a game that just came out a month ago after paying 60 for it.

Participating retailers and having permission from the publishers? This sounds like it is going to lead to shitty price fixing. Dead Rising 3 used will be 54.99 everywhere instead of GameStop having it used for $54.99 and Best Buy having it used for $44.99 etc. 

So they could potentially turn the used game market into the Xbox marketplace! Positives: You never have to worry about missing out on a deal because there never will be any..unless it is chosen to be the free game of the month!

Gaming is the *only* media in which a publisher's only profit margin comes from the initial sale of the game or dlc package.
That's true of all CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and books. None of those are going away anytime soon, nor are the companies trying to get rid of them. They are just providing download options as well. Game companies are actively trying to get rid of the physical versions and have downloads only (or in the case of Xbox One: physical versions that act like downloads).

So, if you support the people who make the video games, why are you on a site called Cheap Ass Gamer?  I'd imagine someone who supports people who make the video games would buy them at full price when they are first released, correct?  Else, how are these people going to be making any money if we are all buying the games from bargain bins, etc.?

your still buying it new which means they make money 

game companys make money on products as long as they stay in production and stores buy the product from the company. When retail stores put games in their stores they have already paid the companys for those games it's not like they don't pay them till the game is sold

That's true of all CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and books. None of those are going away anytime soon, nor are the companies trying to get rid of them. They are just providing download options as well. Game companies are actively trying to get rid of the physical versions and have downloads only (or in the case of Xbox One: physical versions that act like downloads).
It's actually not, and I've already explained why.

When you buy a CD, you are giving the publisher money, correct. But that's not the ONLY way they generate revenue. They do so via concerts, merchandise, etc. As well as streaming from spotify, etc giving dollars per stream.

When you buy a DVD you are giving money to the publisher as well, after they've already got you at the box office, not to mention streaming awarding additional revenue.

With a game/DLC... you've got *one* revenue source. The sale of the game or dlc. That's it. Period.

You guys love to compare them all, so do so from a fair and logical manner, not loaded questions which obviously favor one side.

Wow amazon has PS4 as #1, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 38 best selling items in the video game section. Tons of expensive console BUNDLES are selling better than X1 games by themselves.

When you buy a DVD you are giving money to the publisher as well, after they've already got you at the box office, not to mention streaming awarding additional revenue.
A big reason people go to the theater is because they want to see the movie as early as possible. If people want to play a game as early as possible they buy it new (before any used copies are available). If used copies are available within days of release, then clearly people didn't like the game (so they shouldn't have to support it).

Your post didn't comment on books by the way (which have a huge used market), what's your answer for that?

Wow amazon has PS4 as #1, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 38 best selling items in the video game section. Tons of expensive console BUNDLES are selling better than X1 games by themselves.
last i checked this is ms forum not sony

A big reason people go to the theater is because they want to see the movie as early as possible. If people want to play a game as early as possible they buy it new (before any used copies are available). If used copies are available within days of release, then clearly people didn't like the game (so they shouldn't have to support it).

Your post didn't comment on books by the way (which have a huge used market), what's your answer for that?
you are starting ot push comparison little to far lol

It's actually not, and I've already explained why.

When you buy a CD, you are giving the publisher money, correct. But that's not the ONLY way they generate revenue. They do so via concerts, merchandise, etc. As well as streaming from spotify, etc giving dollars per stream.

With a game/DLC... you've got *one* revenue source. The sale of the game or dlc. That's it. Period.

You guys love to compare them all, so do so from a fair and logical manner, not loaded questions which obviously favor one side.
Movies and Music don't retail anywhere near $60.

so people cry about xbox one bing anti consumer an telling people not to support it but yet they will gladly pay 50 bucks for a used game when they only give 20 to people for that game. Who in their right mind would accept 20 dollers for a game that just came out a month ago after paying 60 for it.
Microsoft allows trade in games but guess what it is for "participating retailers" only. Guess which retailer will probably be on that list.... GameStop. So this isn't about killing GameStop, Microsoft is actually helping them by eliminating private sales. Microsoft is choosing the winners and losers in this. Guess who is on the losing side, your fellow CAGs. The same CAGs that help you find video game deals on this forum.

People who don't commit retail fraud? :bouncy:

I think everyone here has Stockholm Syndrome. The gaming industry as a whole has been screwing us for so long that people are now sympathizing with these huge corporations who really only care about their quarterly profits. Even if it means pushing out crap every year (Looking at you Madden). Keep it together people!

amazon has better buy price the ngamestop ever does

I think everyone here has Stockholm Syndrome. The gaming industry as a whole has been screwing us for so long that people are now sympathizing with these huge corporations who really only care about their quarterly profits. Even if it means pushing out crap every year (Looking at you Madden). Keep it together people!
madden is a football game you can't do much with football and madden was decent last year and looks pretty good this year.

not all games that come out our crap lol go lay last of us you will not call it crap

Last edited by a moderator:
madden is a football game you can't do much with madden and madden was decent last year and looks pretty good this year.

not all games that come out our crap lol go lay last of us you will not call it crap
Last I heard this was the ms forum, not sony.

Nice example... we are talking about sympathizing with Microsoft and you mention a great Sony game.
i love great games who gives a junk what system the game is on

madden is a football game you can't do much with madden and madden was decent last year and looks pretty good this year.

Last I heard this was the ms forum, not sony.
fine you want a great ms series lets talk about single player for gears of war franchise (other then judgement)

And I was obviously making a joke to lighten the tension in here. In case anyone else besides Timbo didn't figure that out, now you know.

in order for the quality of games to go up we need new ip's and sadly big name companys are scared to do that. I will give ms credit they showed great x1 only new ip games at e3 and ps4 well they just bragged about have ps4 only stuff for 3rd party games which are coming out for every major system including  ps3 and 360 and pc.

Nice example... we are talking about sympathizing with Microsoft and you mention a great Sony game.
The point is that Sony is one of the biggest supporters of used games. They are not worried about used games impacting their sales (they've stated that used games help sales). And yet this is what you use as an example of why used sales are bad.

Sony makes great games and takes risks on new IPs, they don't need DRM to do that.

with that said i played second son at e3 it's a great game but i enjoyed the new ips on x1 better but it's not making me get a x1 at launch IF i do get one at launch which im thinking might not get any at launch it will be ps4.

The point is that Sony is one of the biggest supporters of used games. They are not worried about used games impacting their sales (they've stated that used games help sales). And yet this is what you use as an example of why used sales are bad.

Sony makes great games and takes risks on new IPs, they don't need DRM to do that.
i was not quoting a statement that had anything to do with used games :facepalm:

with that said i played second son at e3 it's a great game but i enjoyed the new ips on x1 better but it's not making me get a x1 at launch IF i do get one at launch which im thinking might not get any at launch it will be ps4.

i was not quoting a statement that had anything to do with used games :facepalm:
No, but your general attitude has been that they take money away from the publishers. Sony doesn't even agree with you on that.

No, but your general attitude has been that they take money away from the publishers. Sony doesn't even agree with you on that.
um they kind of do with allowing publishers to put any kind of drm or restriction they want lol. pretty much if a company want to charge a giant fee to unlock a game they could. sony kind of did all this in a sneaky way with talking all good at press conf then after it was done it call came out that publisher could do anything they wanted to their game

Which further proves my point to be honest. Implying that it somehow equals game sales is... reaching quiet a bit to be honest. You've got people in this very thread saying they are basically committing retail fraud, by buying a game, playing the shit out of it for a day or two then returning it and you attempt to make that comparison?

Is it the publishers fault that a hardcore gamer can put in 18+ hours in two days and beat their game, flying through it? Are you implying that they didnt get a decent value for their money or something?

As to book's, books also degrade in quality. The book market isnt as huge as you make it out to be either, unless you specifically mention college text books, which are a massive percentage of sales.

The only actual factual thing I could find was from 2005, where used books accounted for a mere 8.5% of total book sales. Hardly massive ;) I'm betting that figure went down drastically with the massive sales success of kindle and nook as well.

um they kind of do with allowing publishers to put any kind of drm or restriction they want lol. pretty much if a company want to charge a giant fee to unlock a game they could. sony kind of did all this in a sneaky way with talking all good at press conf then after it was done it call came out that publisher could do anything they wanted to their game
As much as I hate DRM if Sony didn't allow publishers to use it that would be too much control as well. The DRM on PS4 will work exactly as it does on PS3 and Xbox 360 (online passes). But with the way they announced it (the game sharing ad), any publisher that put DRM in their game would look horrible at this point. I'd be surprised if there was anything worse than the online passes we have now (if that).

Microsoft isn't even giving publishers the option to not use DRM in their games.

...and people who understand how re-sellers work in a capitalistic society. :shock: It may be shocking to you that re-sellers are not going to pay $40 to make $10. They might as well then just sell the product new, especially since they are taking all of the risk that used games will sell and they will make their money back. Go into any Gamestop and look at all the copies of MAG for $0.99 that they have in stock. That investment didn't work out too well for them. Same thing with sport games. They are taking the risk that someone will buy the game at a higher price before its value declines as newer games come out that will grab the customer's attention.

Yea, get your poor asses out of this rich man's xbox forum! What do you think this is? A forum for finding good deals? Retail or GTFO!
buying a 50 doller used game is not being a CAG lol

so let me get this right people don't want o support anti consumer xbox one but will gladly walk into gamestop buy a used game for 50 bucks when they only give person 20 dollers for that game. plz tell me out that right their is not anti consumer
Games don't cost solely $50 used and $60 new, and Gamestop isn't your only option. I'm an Amazon seller, I sell mostly movies, games, and occasionally books I buy from mostly thrifts and pawns. Say what you will about that, but I make crap at my day job and it's a fun way for me to make extra cash on the side, and fund my gaming habit, as well as paying for my wife and I to go on trips, etc. This isn't going to hurt GS, as they'll be one of the only places that will be allowed to trade-in your games. It DOES, however, hurt small-time sellers like me, mom-and-pop and independent game stores that can't afford or aren't allowed to buy a MS trade-in system (which by the way, will not even be ready for retailers at launch), and last but not least the consumer. According to your logic, since GS's terrible terrible trade-in values are anti-consumer, the XBone is doubly ant-consumer, since you can't sell your games AND have to accept whatever GS offers you. Trade-in values are also going to go nowhere but down since they won't need to compete with Amazon sellers, Craigslist, eBay etc.

False. The only DRM of any kind allowed on the PS4 will be online passes just like we have now. It was stated that no "full game unlock" kind of thing would be allowed beyond blocking the online multiplayer aspect of a game.

Yea, get your poor asses out of this rich man's xbox forum! What do you think this is? A forum for finding good deals? Retail or GTFO!

so let me get this right people don't want o support anti consumer xbox one but will gladly walk into gamestop buy a used game for 50 bucks when they only give person 20 dollers for that game. plz tell me out that right their is not anti consumer
Games don't cost solely $50 used and $60 new, and Gamestop isn't your only option. I'm an Amazon seller, I sell mostly movies, games, and occasionally books I buy from mostly thrifts and pawns. Say what you will about that, but I make crap at my day job and it's a fun way for me to make extra cash on the side, and fund my gaming habit, as well as paying for my wife and I to go on trips, etc. This isn't going to hurt GS, as they'll be one of the only places that will be allowed to trade-in your games. It DOES, however, hurt small-time sellers like me, mom-and-pop and independent game stores that can't afford or aren't allowed to buy a MS trade-in system (which by the way, will not even be ready for retailers at launch), and last but not least the consumer. According to your logic, since GS's terrible terrible trade-in values are anti-consumer, the XBone is doubly ant-consumer, since you can't sell your games AND have to accept whatever GS offers you. Trade-in values are also going to go nowhere but down since they won't need to compete with Amazon sellers, Craigslist, eBay etc.

False. The only DRM of any kind allowed on the PS4 will be online passes just like we have now. It was stated that no "full game unlock" kind of thing would be allowed beyond blocking the online multiplayer aspect of a game.
sony never said that they are leaving all drm aspect up to publisher no limits

saw this on Reddit:

zfnSp8M.jpg

sony never said that they are leaving all drm aspect up to publisher no limits
They definitely did say online pass only. I as well as others have corrected you on this before yet you continue to repeat it. Sony is allowing online passes not any kind of pass for single player.

Aaaaaaand Timbo ignores us.
anndddddd i see no proof sony said it

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194126/On_PS4_DRM_measures_are_up_to_the_thirdparties.php

"The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever."

if your talking about that statment all its saying is that you cna trade games in at any place and not just certain resellers. Never says anything about companys not allowed to charge a fee to play their game.

Not quoting because giant quote block, but yes they did. Can't find the exact quote, but here they are saying their own products will not include online passes, and they will encourage others not use them:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194150/Further_clarification_on_Sonys_DRM_policies_No_more_online_pass.php

They did, at some point, say there will be no game-locking passes. Also, nice one dodging the bulk of what I said!
http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_third-party_drm_debate_continues_ps4_not_designed_to_lock_disc-based_games.html

??? Is this what you were talking about ???

VideoGamer.com: It still seems to be unclear whether third-parties will be able to lock disc-based PS4 games to user accounts. Can you clarify whether or not they [will have that option]?

Fergal Gara: For disc-based games I believe that is not the case - we will not be locking them. It's also interesting now the Online Pass goes, so by virtue of including online multiplayer in PlayStation Plus that effectively replaces and supersedes any Online Passes that we may have used in the past.
He's not entirely sure, but I also don't know if this is what you are referencing...

he also says companys to put online pass on ps4 games would be dumb on their part seeing people need to pay or ps plus. Last i checked people pay for live and companys still do online pass on 360. 

They only mentioned Playstation FIRST PARTY games. 3rd party games are free to do whatever they want
They mention first party will not be using online pass. 3rd party are free to use online pass, not whatever they want.

"Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy"

well ps4 biggest talked about game at e3 was destiny is a mp only game so activision could put a high priced online pass to play the game online. sooner or later games will no longer have single player an online pass will jump up in price.

So where's this list of developers and their games that are now gone due to all those used games sales?

Last i checked people pay for live and companys still do online pass on 360.
Yeah, that just means it's the same as this generation, and XBLG members got boned.
well you have to have ps plus to play online on ps4 so i guess we ps4 people will get boned also

with that said ps plus is a amazing value compared to live

i just hope that on ps4 seeing everyone has to have plus to play onliine mp that plus changes in some way or has a higher price tag if you want to keep getting the free games.

Thanks. I'm in the middle of making dinner and I couldn't find the quote readily :v

well ps4 biggest talked about game at e3 was destiny is a mp only game so activision could put a high priced online pass to play the game online. sooner or later games will no longer have single player an online pass will jump up in price.

So where's this list of developers and their games that are now gone due to all those used games sales?

Last i checked people pay for live and companys still do online pass on 360.
Yeah, that just means it's the same as this generation, and XBLG members got boned.
well you have to have ps plus to play online on ps4 so i guess we ps4 people will get boned also

with that said ps plus is a amazing value compared to live
Yeah but PSN members didn't pay and didn't get boned. And it remains to be seen whether any company will use an online pass program, especially since the Xbone basically eliminates that need, and Sony is outright against it, and it would look really bad on EA to go back on their word and bring them back.

So I think I'll be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back