Xbox poised to have third largest library of games ever

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
The Xbox library of games is going to pass the 700 milestone this week. It will become the 7th system to surpass this mark (NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, Playstation, and Playstation 2 are the others).

This holiday season, however, the Xbox will add approximately 100 titles to its library securing it's place as the third largest library ever. (The biggest libraries are of course Playstation and Playstation 2).

For these numbers, I'm obviously ommitting the huge library that the PC has because I don't consider it to be in the same market as the other systems. If you want to include the PC, drop Xbox down to 4th on the list.

Hm, I am curious to how many gameboy advance titles there are. I mean gameboy, gameboy color, and gba games all play on it so I would think it has more then xbox.

Damn, Shipwreck you will be owning a lot Xbox games then. How will you ever play them all with 360 coming out? By the way when you get your 360 let us know which of the games in your collection are backwards compatitable since you own most of the Xbox Library.

[quote name='musha666']Hm, I am curious to how many gameboy advance titles there are. I mean gameboy, gameboy color, and gba games all play on it so I would think it has more then xbox.[/QUOTE]

At this moment, there are around 735 GBA games, 432 GBC games, and 474 Gameboy games. If you want to combine all those into one system though, then the PS2 gets all the PS1 games and the Xbox still has the third largest library.

Well for PS2 I assume ship isn't counting PS1 and PS2 games in his number, so that would mean for GBA he's just counting GBA games? I guess you could make two categories, the number of games specifically produced for the system and the number of games you are able to play on the system.

(But then do we need to count GB games for the SNES, N64, and GC since I think there are adapters for each that let you play them? It gets a little gray IMO.)

Update - Ship beat me to it.

Does your NES number include just licensed carts or does it encompass all the unlicensed stuff that was made as well? I guess there are homebrews for many systems, but if a game was sold in a retail box during the life of the system I could see a case being made that it should be included. Is there a site with the numbers?

[quote name='shipwreck']At this moment, there are around 735 GBA games, 432 GBC games, and 474 Gameboy games. If you want to combine all those into one system though, then the PS2 gets all the PS1 games and the Xbox still has the third largest library.[/QUOTE]
Ah, you're so wise.

[quote name='shipwreck']At this moment, there are around...474 Gameboy games. [/QUOTE]

I'm surprised. That's not a whole lot of games given the system had roughly ten years on the market.

Did a little poking around on the 2600 and according to wiki it has over 900 titles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600

"Over its lifetime, an estimated 25 million units were shipped, and its video game library reportedly numbers more than 900 titles."

Now the 2600 does have a butt load of unlicensed carts...

[quote name='wubb']Did a little poking around on the 2600 and according to wiki it has over 900 titles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600

"Over its lifetime, an estimated 25 million units were shipped, and its video game library reportedly numbers more than 900 titles."

Now the 2600 does have a butt load of unlicensed carts...[/QUOTE]

Yep, I didn't count the unlicensed stuff. These numbers are also just for North American releases. I forgot to state that in my original post. Some smart ass will come in and start talking about Japanese releases sooner or later and I just wanted to clear that up.

Oh, and take those Wikipedia lists with a grain of salt. They compile games from all regions, unlicensed games, and even repeat games that have different names in different regions. The lists were most likely compiled from ROM sets or something as that's about the only thing they are good for.

Where did you get your numbers?

And what's the number for the 2600's licensed carts? My impression is it has a very very large ratio of unlicensed carts that were sold, I'd be curious to really know.

[quote name='wubb']Where did you get your numbers?

And what's the number for the 2600's licensed carts? My impression is it has a very very large ratio of unlicensed carts that were sold, I'd be curious to really know.[/QUOTE]

The Xbox numbers I've compiled myself. The other numbers are a compilation of what can be found on www.gamedude.com, www.digitpress.com, www.gamefaqs.com, Video Game Collector magazine, and various other internet sources. I've tried to double check to see if the games actually came out and I'm actually planning on going through the latest issue of Video Game Collector to see if any of the old lists are updated. Right now, I have the number of licensed carts for the 2600 at 482.

Wow, you compiled the numbers yourself. Very impressive.

You should make a thread on the main Gaming discussion board listing your current numbers. Not sure if a lot of CAGers would care, but I find it very interesting.

I assume you're speaking of only USA releases or something right? There are well over 700 world wide releases of XBOX games by now for sure.

What is your exact count as of last week?

--
BBX

[quote name='BillyBobX']I assume you're speaking of only USA releases or something right? There are well over 700 world wide releases of XBOX games by now for sure.

What is your exact count as of last week?

--
BBX[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm only counting North American releases. As of last week, I had the Xbox library at 692 games. This includes Collector's Editions and combo discs such as JSRF/Sega GT. I keep similar editions and combos in my numbers for other consoles so that is easier to compare between them.

Taking out those "repeats", as of last week, the Xbox had about 678 unique releases. Give or take one or two on that figure as I was just scanning my list quickly to get that number.

And there are still people who say there are no good games on the xbox. If you can't find 20 good games out of 700 there is something wrong with you.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']How many games do the PS2 & PS1 have? I'm also wondering if you know how many of the Xbox games are exclusive to it?[/QUOTE]

By my numbers, PS1 has 1288 games. Give or take a few there if you consider the Lightspan games as official releases. I don't.

I think my PS2 numbers are a little off because my list was corrupted at one point and I haven't taken the time to make sure I caught everything that was erased. So, I count 1041 PS2 games right now, but I think that is a little low.

I use to keep track of exclusivity, but it got too time consuming trying to keep up with games that got ported over to consoles at a later date. I remember that when the Xbox library was around 300 games, that about 80 of them were exclusive.

[quote name='KingDox']And there are still people who say there are no good games on the xbox. If you can't find 20 good games out of 700 there is something wrong with you.[/QUOTE]

That is what the young people call "haters". Hell, even the Atari Jaguar has at least some good games.

bread's done
Back