Xbox360: $50 Price Cut coming (weekend of 7/13)

[quote name='silent h3ro']I agree.

I also agree with this statement. They really nickel and dime you for features that should come with the console such as battery charger, rechargeable batteries, WiFi, ect.[/quote]

I disagree... the thing would've cost more than it does now if they included all that crap - none of which I need, have not bought, and never will. (already had my own rechargeable batts for other toys and a spare wi-fi bridge). I'm fighting the same thoughts tho as far as Sony goes cause I just got a PS3, and was none too thrilled at having to pony up an extra $15 just to be able to copy over my save games, but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

[quote name='bomba']Three of those features are software, one costs pennies. Realistically MS need to put a bigger HDD in and add WiFi to truly add value.

Cutting prices is all well and good, but MS is raping on the accessories front.[/quote]

Who says that you need to buy accessories? You want wifi? Buy a wifi adaptor on ebay for $30 (or plug in a cable from your modem to the console! , the cable is included with the console ;)).

You want a bigger hard drive? 20 gigs is enough for me to download 8 or 9 demos and I still have space left (also most arcade games are tiny in memory).

If you are truly "cheap", I really dont see you buying too many tv shows or renting movies from xbox live so I dont see the need for a big hard drive.

There are people that buy those arcades games? Lol i never knew someone would actually play them beside the kids XD and the xbox 360 has alway been cheaper than the ps3 so having less accessories comes with it is nothing unusual. But yeah being the earliest to release next gen system ofcourse they will have less features as other systems have more time to research. Only thing I would dislike about the 360 is the wifi feature which will cost you money to get unlike wii or ps3 that came with built in but eh there way to get around this. You can connect your xbox 360 to your laptop with wireless and it still work just fine or a desktop near it that has network enabled =) No need to spend 100$ on a wireless adapter.

anyone know what best buy does for a return under warranty, like if i get the Rings of death.

my reciept says 349.99... just wondering what happens when i return it after the price drop...

[quote name='dkreegz515']anyone know what best buy does for a return under warranty, like if i get the Rings of death.

my reciept says 349.99... just wondering what happens when i return it after the price drop...[/QUOTE]

I took mine back to BestBuy after the last price drop. Not only did they get me a new system, but they refunded the price difference. I then took that money and extended the warranty another 2 years.

Also, BestBuy told me the warranty now only covers every defect EXCEPT the dreaded "red rings of death." The told me that if it were to red ring, I'd have to go to MS despite buying the extended warranty at BestBuy.

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']I'm only a little blown away by how many people will still pick Wii even though the price difference is hilariously small.[/quote]Yes indeed it is said. I have come to the conclusion if it wasn't for Reggie and the marketing team that system is the biggest garbage known. I was more thrilled on games on the Gamecube then the Wii.

[quote name='RBH']After the recent news of how much money Sony has lost on the PS3 so far ($3 billion+), I doubt it.[/quote]

Micro$oft lost just as much on creating their "extended warranty policy" to cover their asses with the RRoD scenario.

Awesome. Came in for price-drop info, got half a thread of console war BS. CAGs, you never cease to disappoint.

[quote name='trq']Awesome. Came in for price-drop info, got half a thread of console war BS. CAGs, you never cease to disappoint.[/QUOTE]
What more info do you need? Xbox 360 is dropping $50 in MSRP. All in the topic title

[quote name='MikeHoncho']What more info do you need? Xbox 360 is dropping $50 in MSRP. All in the topic title[/QUOTE]

Confirmed? On all SKUs? Across the board or just at certain retailers? Pretty sure that info isn't in the title.

And thanks for completely missing the point in any event.

[quote name='AwRy108']Micro$oft lost just as much on creating their "extended warranty policy" to cover their asses with the RRoD scenario.[/QUOTE]

No, that was only 1 billion. lol

Here's a pretty good explanation I found.

Last we heard, it was only a 1 billion dollar accounting charge for the red ring. That 1 billion is an accounting practice to indicate that MS has reserved 1 billion for the cost of repairs. It does not necessarily mean MS will use up all 1 billion but if they do, they would have to set up another accounting charge for another billion, which it does not seem likely.

This needs to be $250 if Microsoft wants to take some market share away from the Wii and put the pressure on the PS3.

$300 is nice, but that's still a lot of money IMO.

Is this permanent? Should come in handy if I decide to sell my current Premium in August-September if the "Jasper" model is quieter and gives off less heat then my current jet engine.

I don't understand why some people continue to defend Microsoft on the accessory front. It's a joke...further compounded by the RRoD issues and their Draconian digital rights management, which they FINALLY addressed after nearly three years.

I have all 3 systems, 360 is the better of them, PS3 is Great MSG4!!! man that's a game. But the wii just collects dust unless you have people over to play, face it you just can't play it alone the best games for it are for groups (boomblox is a cool game buy it) and the accessories are just plastic attached to the wiimote LOL (wii wheel, wii shooter) Now i really want to get a Elite for my living room so i can have lan parties. hoping it drops.

That's the best move that Microsoft can make right now, I need to buy one for a friend so I'll be buying it once the price drops.

[quote name='oasisboy']1. Overpriced at $299? You have to be kidding me. How much do you want to pay for a 360, $200? Seriously, $299 for a console that has HDMI port, upscales DVDs , has great Live features and the biggest amount of games....

No, I am not kidding you, $299 is too much for me. I am not going to be playing mine that much, so why would I pay $300+games on something I'm going to play one night a week(all I have time for).

2. The RROD is just a lame excuse for not buying the 360. Look, if you get the RROD you will get your console fixed for FREE. You might lose your console for 2 weeks but it will get fixed and you will have 3 years of warranty. It might not be 7 yrs like you said but 3 years of warranty is more than what Sony or Nintendo offers.[/QUOTE]

Sony and Nintendo doesn't have to offer a 3 year warranty, they made quality systems, Microsoft did not. My point is that after the 3 years, you are F'd with this system design. If they re-design a system and put a bigger hard drive it would be an easier purchase. I am always late in getting the newest hardware, so I will probably be playing 360 games well into the next generation. I need my system to work years from now.

[quote name='hufferstl']Sony and Nintendo doesn't have to offer a 3 year warranty, they made quality systems, Microsoft did not.[/QUOTE]

would have been nice with the PSX and PS2.

As with Nintendo, outside of the occasional hinge on the DS, they've always made quality products that can take a serious beating.

[quote name='hufferstl']Sony and Nintendo doesn't have to offer a 3 year warranty, they made quality systems, Microsoft did not. My point is that after the 3 years, you are F'd with this system design. If they re-design a system and put a bigger hard drive it would be an easier purchase. I am always late in getting the newest hardware, so I will probably be playing 360 games well into the next generation. I need my system to work years from now.[/quote]

3 years from now the 360 will be $100, and will probably have a design that doesn't break.

[quote name='msuna']speedy just posted ads from the 6th and no word on price drop in his post.[/quote]

True, but it doesn't look like the 20 GB model was advertised in the ads at all, so who knows.

If they drop the price of the arcade by $50 as well then this would make it $20 cheaper than the wii, better yet if they bundle that rumored wii-like controller with that SKU or make a new one for the same price, the Wii may be in trouble. Why would you by a GameCuerr Wii for $250 when you can get a 360 for $230?

Good news for my buddy who's planning to finally buy one after finishing a Ph D comp this weekend! Will have to wait an extra week I guess, but worth it to save $50.

If this is all legit, I hope the Elite comes down as well. Although even if it comes down $50 like the Premium, that will still leave a $100 price difference and that still seems like too much for me. I'd love it to be $50-80 more than the premium, but unless there is a new SKU announced at E3, It's probably just wishful thinking.

Guys/gals, remember, you still need to buy the wireless adapter if you want WiFi, so technically, it's still expensive (especially you want to upgrade to a bigger hdd, forget it, you don't want to do it).

but $50 drop is not bad :) Already got one, so meh, cheers for those need one.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']If this is all legit, I hope the Elite comes down as well. Although even if it comes down $50 like the Premium, that will still leave a $100 price difference and that still seems like too much for me. I'd love it to be $50-80 more than the premium, but unless there is a new SKU announced at E3, It's probably just wishful thinking.[/quote]

i would pay a premium for a version 2.0 :) Don't mind a redesign for a 2nd X360 (definitely don't wanna buy the same one again).

[quote name='Serpentor']Guys/gals, remember, you still need to buy the wireless adapter if you want WiFi, so technically, it's still expensive (especially you want to upgrade to a bigger hdd, forget it, you don't want to do it).

but $50 drop is not bad :) Already got one, so meh, cheers for those need one.[/quote]

exactly. the need for a bigger HDD is what kills it for me. with all the arcade games, demos, trailers, and movies; 20 GB (which is actually less) isn't enough. they need to bring the elite down to sub 300 (280-299).

ahaha, you guys are funny. You're complaining about $300, yet, you act as if you will be spending $6 on movies to rent on your 360 all the time.

You know demos, trailers, and films are only supposed to be for temporary use?

I've had a 360 since launch and never once has the 20GB ever been an issue where I would need 100GBs more.

Just learn to manage.

I never understand why, every time someone brings up the 360 hard drive, it is inevitable that people will say something along the lines of, "Well, 20GB is enough for me." That's fine. It's enough for me, as well, but that's because I don't use my 360 as anything besides a gaming machine. But it isn't enough for everyone, and that's the problem. No one should have to "learn to manage." If they want a larger hard drive, they shouldn't have to pay $180 for something that should cost less than a $100.

The Wii, despite what you guys may think, is not in trouble due to a 360 price drop. The reason people want a Wii is marketing, pure and simple. The Wii has the best marketing campaign of any game system I can remember, and yes, that includes the NES. Everyone wants a Wii, even if they don't play it. It's an image thing. And to people saying 'glad people finally realize its' shortcomings', um...wow dude. If you buy a Wii, you know what you're getting into.

This price drop really makes me want to see the price cuts for the Elite and Arcade. I'm guessing Arcade goes to $250, and the Elite to $425 (and because Microsoft is screwed up like that, they'll say the 360's price drops over $100!). I'd love to see them drop the price on their overpriced hard drives too. But that won't happen.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I never understand why, every time someone brings up the 360 hard drive, it is inevitable that people will say something along the lines of, "Well, 20GB is enough for me." That's fine. It's enough for me, as well, but that's because I don't use my 360 as anything besides a gaming machine. But it isn't enough for everyone, and that's the problem. No one should have to "learn to manage." If they want a larger hard drive, they shouldn't have to pay $180 for something that should cost less than a $100.[/QUOTE]

I think it's enough for most people since that is the highest sellin' SKU.

If it was such a problem, as you think it is, the Elite would be out sellin' the 20GB model.

[quote name='zewone']I think it's enough for most people since that is the highest sellin' SKU.

If it was such a problem, as you think it is, the Elite would be out sellin' the 20GB model.[/quote]

point

you

[quote name='hufferstl']Sony and Nintendo doesn't have to offer a 3 year warranty, they made quality systems, Microsoft did not. My point is that after the 3 years, you are F'd with this system design. If they re-design a system and put a bigger hard drive it would be an easier purchase. I am always late in getting the newest hardware, so I will probably be playing 360 games well into the next generation. I need my system to work years from now.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I have a tough time now just trying to make time and enyjoy the games I have. A systems lifespan is very important to a lot of consumers.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44'] But it isn't enough for everyone, and that's the problem. No one should have to "learn to manage." If they want a larger hard drive, they shouldn't have to pay $180 for something that should cost less than a $100.[/QUOTE]
No one does have to learn to manage. There is a larger hard drive available. As for the cost, well, console storage has been priced at a premium since the PS1 introduced memory cards. Why is it suddenly, 13 years later, a shocking surprise?

Dismissing the price drop because it doesn't meet (the generic) your personal needs is pretty ignorant and selfish.

[quote name='zewone']Already been covered, jackass.

One exception to the rule, doesn't change the fact that 90% of the time you see a huge price cut is when a system in on hard times.[/quote]

I disagree immensely. The price from discount must be taken into account and you are simply focusing on the nominal value of the drop rather than the percentage of the drop. A $100 drop from $1,000 is not as significant as a $100 drop on $200. 10% vs 50%. Because the PS3 started at $599 and was using cutting edge tech with low yields, dropping down to $400 after a year was also totally expected. That is the difference between choosing a last-gen drive and a next-gen drive in the base system. It was right on the threshold of being feasible. You might say it cost Sony some sales, but you might also say that for those patient enough to wait that year, we got a better, quieter, multi-purpose, longer generational lifespan product as a result of blu-ray inclusion.

bread's done
Back