Xbox360: $50 Price Cut coming (weekend of 7/13)

[quote name='tianxia']I've had my PS2 since a couple of months after launch. Anecdotal evidence means nothing. Failure rates for 360 are abnormally high and you know it.[/quote]

never said it wasn't...just said that the ps2 had a really shitty failure rate and even worse customer service about it ...thats all

[quote name='ryanbph']never said it wasn't...just said that the ps2 had a really shitty failure rate and even worse customer service about it ...thats all[/QUOTE]

Sony really shored up their act since MS is offically a serious threat now. Sony used to be arrogant and cocky as hell, it is only recently they changed their tune and became more humble. It's funny how a Japanese company acts more American than a US company, like MS.

I think the new Falcons significantly reduced the number of RROD consoles. My Falcon console bought in November of last year have received hundres upon hundres of hours, although loud as hell, has worked flawlessly so far. So has most of my friends 360's.

[quote name='leesiulung']Sony really shored up their act since MS is offically a serious threat now. Sony used to be arrogant and cocky as hell, it is only recently they changed their tune and became more humble.[/quote]

Which is why, despite what fanboys on either side of the argument would say, competition is a good thing. Microsoft probably wouldn't have bothered updating their BC list or fixing the DRM problem if Sony wasn't catching up and if Sony hadn't been so completely humbled by their initial sales, the price wouldn't have fallen so fast and their service would probably have remained half-ass. Now if only someone could take a little wind out of Nintendo's sails....

[quote name='ryanbph']
And how fucking often does ones internet go out. I have lived in a somewhat boonies area and I live by in a surban now, and in my 9 or so years of broadband internet I have never had an outage.
[/quote]

Just about every day for me.
And actually, broadband in the boonies tends to be much more reliable and much faster than it is in the city.

[quote name='Vegan']Just about every day for me.
And actually, broadband in the boonies tends to be much more reliable and much faster than it is in the city.[/quote]

Exactly. I live in a fairly populated city, and on top of outages from periodic maintenance, there are times the load simply becomes too much, and the cable goes out of a whack. I would say, on average, I lose access to my cable services for about 10 hours a month during peak hours. Not a huge deal, but nonetheless, it's your content. You paid for it. You should be able to use it anytime.

[quote name='hufferstl']

1. Your 3 friends had ps2's break and my 3 friends had 360s break. Big F'n deal.

2. But to bring up the N64 sticks at WalMart and Target is probably the stupidest statement in this whole dumb thread.

3. Congratulations, that actually means a lot in this thread.

4. It is still not worth my $350. Deal with that, or you can move on.

[/quote]

1. The difference was shelling out $150 for a slim ps2 as compared to $0 for repairing a 2.5 year old xbox 360 (in my personal case). To my friends it was a "Big F'n deal". I guess you have $150 to spare :roll:

2. And yet we need your deep thoughts like this one:
[quote name='hufferstl']My point is that after the 3 years, you are F'd with this system design. If they re-design a system and put a bigger hard drive it would be an easier purchase. I need my system to work years from now.[/quote]

Wow, this is deep stuff!

3. Just like your comment about Microsoft making "F'd" 360's. Thank you for letting us know!

4. If the 360 is not worth it, then why didn't you just say that instead of complaining like a little baby about the design of the console?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Exactly. I live in a fairly populated city, and on top of outages from periodic maintenance, there are times the load simply becomes too much, and the cable goes out of a whack. I would say, on average, I lose access to my cable services for about 10 hours a month during peak hours. .[/quote]

wow, never have had that be an issue for me...I had 2 friends that lived in the bronx for a couple of years, and neither of them had issues with it. Just isn't something that I have ever come across myself or any of my friends for a continous issue. Never ever even thought that this was a constant issue for people, espically considering fios is being dropped all over the country with 15mbps, and comcast had stated at ces they were going to start offering 100 mbps DL this fall in new england.

My cable internet is pretty spotchy during peak hours as well. I think there's external problems in the lines that they can't find. They never find anything in the house and just say they'll send maintenance over. It gets better for a month or two then will have issues again.

Unfortunately it's the only option I have as FIOS isn't in my condo complex yet and the DSL is slower than dial up most of the time as the phone wiring in the building is crappy (50+ years old) and on top of that the phone wiring picks up the radio station down the street which probably doesn't help.

The trade-in value of premium 360's lowered at GameCrazy from 160 to 120, this makes me think there will be a drop across the board.

[quote name='$CASH$']Still overpriced at $300. The premium should be $250 by now. I may bite when they drop to $200.[/QUOTE]

u're an idiot. get lost

[quote name='$CASH$']Still overpriced at $300. The premium should be $250 by now. I may bite when they drop to $200.[/quote]

Why should the Premium be $250...when the Wii is still $250 and the 40GB PS3 is $400?

I agree. Bunch of Fanboys invaded this thread and keep on talking crap about the 360. It's a good system and worth the money, same with the PS3.Get it through your stupid thick-headed juvenile skulls.

[quote name='RandyTsai']u're an idiot. get lost[/QUOTE]
I agree. Bunch of Fanboys invaded this thread and keep on talking crap about the 360. It's a good system and worth the money, same with the PS3.Get it through your stupid thick-headed juvenile skulls.

Just a comment. The ads for Target and CC do not seem to have price cuts for the 360 so this may just be a Kmart promotion. Which is a mistake IMO because the 360 really needs to be priced at $300 (or even less). So if a price cut is coming, next week's appears to not be the permanent one we're all waiting for.

Supposedly a Circuit City ad is being circulated for the week of E3 (the 13th), but only shows the Premium at $300.

Still, $300 isn't cheap. It's close, but it's not good enough. $100 drop in nearly 3 years isn't good business on the console business. The Premium should be $250, $275 minimum, the Core should be $199. Elite pricing...$400. $450's fine, but $400 should be there to challenge the low end PS3. It's not there. And by all indications, the Premium is the only one getting a drop. If all 3 got drops, they would've popped up by now.

It doesn't matter though. They're battling for 2nd place. They're not going to hit the mainstream like Nintendo did.

I wish you guys would quit pretending to be video game marketing experts and just stay on topic.

I'll take any amount price drop over no price drop.

For everyone complaining that this thread went OT, there should be just about all of that gone.

For those mentioning about the date being off on the thread title, that's also fixed.

This is really great news. Slowly but surely being confirmed by different sources.

I'll definitely be picking a 360 up before the end of July (unless a new SKU is announced). I've been in the market for one for a long time, and a price drop couldn't have come at a better time.

[quote name='KingBroly']Supposedly a Circuit City ad is being circulated for the week of E3 (the 13th), but only shows the Premium at $300.

.[/quote]

talkingaboutgames.com frontpage has an blog about an article from the ars technica...something about the 20gb 360 is being discountinued and that is why it is going on sale...allegedly a 60 gb sytem will be replacing it...

link to where i got it

http://talkingaboutgames.com/content/view/1501/34/#jc_writeComment

link to the story talkingaboutgames reported about
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...to-drop-price-on-20gb-360-makes-room-for-60gb

Hmm, wouldn't be surprised if they are bringing out a new SKU with a larger HD. They want people to buy as much content as possible and while a 20gb HD is fine for some, it isn't enough for people who buy a lot of content. A larger option is not a bad idea for those who do not want to go all the way to the 120gb elite and it better positions the base 360 model with the current PS3 SKUs (from a storage aspect).

I'll be interested to see if this turns out to be real. Either way, it looks like it should be an exciting E3.

EDIT- Also, it seems like a lot of the sites that sell refurbished/reconditioned products have been blowing their 20gb stock out the door. Buy.com and Stoosi both had them for $199 within the past week so that could be a sign that this is true.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Is the price drop for ALL systems? Or only the premium as of right now?[/QUOTE]

Looks like it's not a price drop after all. They're just clearing out the 20gig inventory to introduce a 60gig model. *sigh*

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Hmm, wouldn't be surprised if they are bringing out a new SKU with a larger HD. They want people to buy as much content as possible and while a 20gb HD is fine for some, it isn't enough for people who buy a lot of content. A larger option is not a bad idea for those who do not want to go all the way to the 120gb elite and it better positions the base 360 model with the current PS3 SKUs (from a storage aspect).
[/quote]
Also I wouldn't be surprised if a 60 GB hard drive is cheaper for Microsoft to buy then a 20 GB hard drive since they really aren't being made anymore (besides for Microsoft). Whey should they pay more for a smaller drive?

[quote name='msam']TRU's website is trying to show a 'price drop', but they really inflated the price and dropped them to MSRP.
http://www.toysrus.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2268831

Shows a price drop for all systems; however, the Core only dropped to 279.99, and the Elite dropped to 449.99 (a 20 and 30 dollar drop, respectively, but down to regular retail prices)[/quote]

Those reductions are just showing the price drop from last year. The Original MSRP for all three SKUs (299/299/479) being reduced to their current prices (279/349/449). It is odd that this is shows up right on TRU website. Possibly they are preparing for the current price cut and this leaked out before they forgot to update the prices? :whistle2:k

bread's done
Back