XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was playing Halo 3 awhile ago and suddenly the screen turned all cel-shaded like. After re-starting my 360 all went back to normal. Now today I was playing Turok and it happened again, however now there is no video or audio coming out from my TV. Looks like I need new cables? My 360 is still starting up fine, no RRoD (knock on wood).

Also posted this in the Coffin Support group, not sure where it belongs.

Is there a list somewhere of all the PAL UK released 360 games that work on a US system with no tricks involved?
I heard there were like 4 or 5 games that did that.

i have a friends 360 that is about to die... whats the microsoft site where i can check what information i have registered to this system... im not sure if its registered

[quote name='guyver2077']i have a friends 360 that is about to die... whats the microsoft site where i can check what information i have registered to this system... im not sure if its registered[/quote]

Try
https://service.xbox.com/device.aspx?dvc=0

Does anyone know if there's a new model of 360 coming out anytime soon or are they sticking with the Arcade, Premium HDMI and Elite HDMI?

Got some stupid battery questions here.

1. I saw this mentioned earlier in the thread but I want to get clarification. Do the intermittent spinning green lights on the wireless controller indicate imminent battery death or can you run for several more hours before replacing them?

2. How in the fuck do you remove AA batteries from the battery pack? The plastic fits so tightly around the batteries and there's no grip so it takes me forever to remove them. Maybe this is caused by a catastrophic failure to read the documentation, but I just can't figure it out.

[quote name='NTolerance']Got some stupid battery questions here.

1. I saw this mentioned earlier in the thread but I want to get clarification. Do the intermittent spinning green lights on the wireless controller indicate imminent battery death or can you run for several more hours before replacing them?

2. How in the fuck do you remove AA batteries from the battery pack? The plastic fits so tightly around the batteries and there's no grip so it takes me forever to remove them. Maybe this is caused by a catastrophic failure to read the documentation, but I just can't figure it out.[/quote]

1. You can still use the batteries for awhile longer when the lights are flashing, but it is an indication that you should charge it asap so it doesn't run out on you when you least expect it.

2. ... I never had any problems with this.

You should get the Play and Charge kits to avoid that kind of mess anyhow.

[quote name='Rozz']1. You can still use the batteries for awhile longer when the lights are flashing, but it is an indication that you should charge it asap so it doesn't run out on you when you least expect it.

2. ... I never had any problems with this.

You should get the Play and Charge kits to avoid that kind of mess anyhow.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I have a boatload of NiMH batteries so I'd rather not invest in a play and charge kit. The cable with the play and charge is surely not long enough to reach to my couch anyways. I'd rather just swap AA batteries when the time comes.

Hey guys..

I have a question about etiquette on XBL...

Do people generally voice chat when playing with people they don't know? Is it expected that everyone voice chat? And if so, do people generally chit chat on XBLA, or do they keep it strictly game related?

I ask because a) my headset is unrealiable and b) I'm not much on chit chat. I hesitate to play with random people because I never know if my headset is going to work or not, and I don't really know what people expect.

Speaking of headsets, does anyone else find the bundled one to be crap? I've been playing MUA with a friend, and when we try to talk in game, half the time is doesn't work, and then it will just randomly start working at some odd time. Last time I popped out of the game and tried to just open a private chat chan, and that worked fine - but I dunno if it was a fluke or not. I'm just wondering if buying a better headset would fix the problem.

[quote name='PleasantOne']Hey guys..

I have a question about etiquette on XBL...

Do people generally voice chat when playing with people they don't know? Is it expected that everyone voice chat? And if so, do people generally chit chat on XBLA, or do they keep it strictly game related?

I ask because a) my headset is unrealiable and b) I'm not much on chit chat. I hesitate to play with random people because I never know if my headset is going to work or not, and I don't really know what people expect.

Speaking of headsets, does anyone else find the bundled one to be crap? I've been playing MUA with a friend, and when we try to talk in game, half the time is doesn't work, and then it will just randomly start working at some odd time. Last time I popped out of the game and tried to just open a private chat chan, and that worked fine - but I dunno if it was a fluke or not. I'm just wondering if buying a better headset would fix the problem.[/quote]

Its more personal preference...I don't like to speak to strangers...most of the time they're annoying as all they do is cuss and yell racial slurs.

I play Team Deathmatch in Halo 3, and CoD4 and 90% of the time, I never have a headset on.

The bundled one is crap. Try to find an alternate...there's a lot of good 3rd party ones out there. The issue you're having with the headset might be the internal wiring, that stuff wears out a lot after winding it up when you put it away many times...very fragile.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It may be an issue with your NAT that's causing chat problems, instead of being the headset itself. Try checking this thread and see if that helps.[/quote]

Don't think it's my NAT - last time it happened, I put my XBox in the DMZ and it didn't help.

I just ordered a new headset... Plantronics x10, over ear, wired, cheap - but decent reviews at Amazon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Even if it wasn't the headset causing the problem, the audio quality still sucked hard anyway...

Thanks for your input, guys :)

I thought I had asked this before, but I can't find my post for some reason.
I don't know anything about putting in the new hard drive ...I don't wanna just google something and screw everything up.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I thought I had asked this before, but I can't find my post for some reason.
I don't know anything about putting in the new hard drive ...I don't wanna just google something and screw everything up.[/quote]

Simply replacing a regular drive with another one?

It's a simple process. Removing the previous one just requires a button press and pull. Putting the new one on is just aligning it to the slot, and pressing it down.

I'm sure Xbox.com has detailed instructions on there somewhere.

This has likely been answered before, but if someone could be so kind as to do so again I would greatly appreciate it:

Is the Xbox system in the Go Play! box the exact same one with HDMI, etc. that the Elite and Pro models have, it just comes with less stuff?

I have leftover parts from another XBox 360 (hard drive, headset, HDMI cable), so is the Go Play the best one for me to get to save money?

With wireless headsets getting clearanced at a few places I've been thinking of picking one up which leads me some questions. I heard the original white ones had issues like static when the mic was open (the user was oblivious, but everyone else had to suffer), but there was an internal redesign with the Halo ones. So my questions are:
What exactly was the problem(s)?
Did the redesign actually fix the problem(s)?
If so, did this fix get applied to the white headsets?
If so, is there a way to tell this in the store before I buy one?
Thanks in advance.

[quote name='jdawgg76']With wireless headsets getting clearanced at a few places I've been thinking of picking one up which leads me some questions. I heard the original white ones had issues like static when the mic was open (the user was oblivious, but everyone else had to suffer), but there was an internal redesign with the Halo ones. So my questions are:
What exactly was the problem(s)?
Did the redesign actually fix the problem(s)?
If so, did this fix get applied to the white headsets?
If so, is there a way to tell this in the store before I buy one?
Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I wasn't aware of this problem, but the white headset I picked up from TRU a couple days ago has worked with no problems on my end and no complaints from other players. That said, it's only been tested in Uno and Carcassonne, so no idea if the game played makes a difference.

I just upgraded to an Elite and am waiting for my transfer kit, in the meantime i want to go ahead and use my elite

can I just attach my old 20 to it and play on it,

basically I want to download some arcade game, if I do this will they be tied to the elite when i transfer them to the 120 GB HDD so I wont have to be on live to play them?

[quote name='GunstarRed']This has likely been answered before, but if someone could be so kind as to do so again I would greatly appreciate it:

Is the Xbox system in the Go Play! box the exact same one with HDMI, etc. that the Elite and Pro models have, it just comes with less stuff?

I have leftover parts from another XBox 360 (hard drive, headset, HDMI cable), so is the Go Play the best one for me to get to save money?[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask the same question. I had a premium I bought about 1 1/2 years ago and I think the dvd drive is finally dying. I can't play lost odyssey more than 10-15 minutes now without getting a disk read error or the dvd making noises like it's going to burst through the case like an alien chest burster. Im thinking if I can find a falcon Ill end up picking one up. This is way too irritating.

Why the hell does my disc still spin in the drive even when I open up the console? The disc drive comes out and the disc remains spinning so it gets scratched on the edges. My cousin's 360 does this as well, but my original didn't (before I got the RROD).

umm I have a younger bro who wanted to play XBL so I gave him a 1 month XBL using my CC.
the thing is I dont want it to continue, but it says 'monthly' meaning it'll continue using the 1 month every month which I dont like, Id prefer to get the 1 year of course...so how can I stop his XBL?

thanks in advance

[quote name='BernardB89']umm I have a younger bro who wanted to play XBL so I gave him a 1 month XBL using my CC.
the thing is I dont want it to continue, but it says 'monthly' meaning it'll continue using the 1 month every month which I dont like, Id prefer to get the 1 year of course...so how can I stop his XBL?

thanks in advance[/quote]

1-800-4MY-XBOX.

I have a question about the video set up on the 360. I have a 40 inch sony lcd tv that is capable of doing 1080p. It can only do 1080i through the componant cable. I also have the vga cable and when I put it at the 1080p resolution the tv says that it does not support it but still shows everything in that high resolution.

Even though it says the tv does not support that resolution, it looks a lot better than when I have it hooked up to component. What should I do with the set up? I know my system doesn't do hdmi, but does it look better through that?

I have some questions...

I have a couple of xbox games that I am playing on my 360. I got a new 40" Widescreen TV. Now when I play Ninja Gaiden Black...I can play under 1080p and the game not only looks amazing but it fills the whole screen. If I play say MLB Slugfest Loaded under 1080p it creates black borders and plays in 4:3 rather than widescreen. However if I set the console to 480p it fills the whole screen. So why do both games display differently even though they are both 480p...is it because Ninja Gaiden Black does 16:9 where as MLB doesn't?

I'm just trying to figure out which games would be worth upgrading to the XBOX versions of that would display widescreen under 1080p such as Ninja Gaiden Black.

Also do all 360 games come with widescreen support? I know all Wii games don't.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='jkam']I have some questions...

I have a couple of xbox games that I am playing on my 360. I got a new 40" Widescreen TV. Now when I play Ninja Gaiden Black...I can play under 1080p and the game not only looks amazing but it fills the whole screen. If I play say MLB Slugfest Loaded under 1080p it creates black borders and plays in 4:3 rather than widescreen. However if I set the console to 480p it fills the whole screen. So why do both games display differently even though they are both 480p...is it because Ninja Gaiden Black does 16:9 where as MLB doesn't?

I'm just trying to figure out which games would be worth upgrading to the XBOX versions of that would display widescreen under 1080p such as Ninja Gaiden Black.

Also do all 360 games come with widescreen support? I know all Wii games don't.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Look on the back of each game box.... Ninja Gaiden has an X next to 480p HDTV, MLB doesn't. I'd assume that NG supports 'HD' output, while MLB doesn't, hence the 4:3 boxing.

AFIAK, all 360 games are Widescreen, with the exception of the of the XBL Arcade ports.

[quote name='sp00ge']Look on the back of each game box.... Ninja Gaiden has an X next to 480p HDTV, MLB doesn't. I'd assume that NG supports 'HD' output, while MLB doesn't, hence the 4:3 boxing.

AFIAK, all 360 games are Widescreen, with the exception of the of the XBL Arcade ports.[/QUOTE]

Slugfest Loaded does have an X next to 480p. It is in 480p but I don't think it supports 16:9. I found this site which actually lists the games that are 16:9...http://www.hdgames.net/

I was surprised to find that a lot of 480p games don't support 16:9

[quote name='jkam']Slugfest Loaded does have an X next to 480p. It is in 480p but I don't think it supports 16:9. I found this site which actually lists the games that are 16:9...http://www.hdgames.net/

I was surprised to find that a lot of 480p games don't support 16:9[/quote]

Hmm.. I looked up the wrong Slugfest, apparently. Ignore what I posted then. :whistle2:#

I found a deal for an original xbox live starter kit, one that looks like this
511Q241M27L_SS500_.jpg

. My question is will i be able to renew my gold subscription with the 12 month code in this starter kit on my xbox 360?

[quote name='Guttersnipe']I found a deal for an original xbox live starter kit, one that looks like this ...
. My question is will i be able to renew my gold subscription with the 12 month code in this starter kit on my xbox 360?[/quote]

Yes. I picked up the old 12 month bundle that came with PGR2/XboxArcade/headset at Kmart for $7 (got 2 of them). Code redeemed without an issue.

[quote name='sp00ge']Yes. I picked up the old 12 month bundle that came with PGR2/XboxArcade/headset at Kmart for $7 (got 2 of them). Code redeemed without an issue.[/quote]

Alright, thanks for the quick response. Found it on Amazon btw for 24.00.

[quote name='jkam']Slugfest Loaded does have an X next to 480p. It is in 480p but I don't think it supports 16:9. I found this site which actually lists the games that are 16:9...http://www.hdgames.net/

I was surprised to find that a lot of 480p games don't support 16:9[/quote]There a couple of sites (hdarcade I think and avsforum) that have lists of hd/16:9 games for xbox, ps2, gc. I will say at least one I found was fairly inaccurate, but off the top of my head I can't remember which one it was. Now that I have a 360 and plasma I checked out some of my xbox games I have to say the best looking one I have is Soul Calibur 2. It's one of the few 720p games and it looks amazing, but it's only 4:3! 2k4 Baseball looks super clear, but that just means you see the poor graphics better. I have to say that my xbox games look a lot better now than my ps2 games on my ps3 with the exception of GT4.

My Xbox 360 broke for the 5th time, less than 3 months after Microsoft fixed it the 4th time.

I've had it with all the shipping & waiting and shitty quality of the 360 (but not enough to switch to PS3).

I'm going to buy a brand new Xbox 360 console, and had heard about the great in store extended warranty Best Buy has. Since I don't normally shop at Best Buy (closest one is 20-30 minutes away) but if this warranty is true, it would be worth it.

I am asking for information on how the warranty really works, not special circumstances or illegal activities.

Anyways, if I buy the console there, and the extended warranty, and WHEN the 360 breaks (not IF) I can just go back to Best Buy and get another NEW 360 right off the floor? NO hassle? NO sending it to Best Buy's repair facility? No 16 year old Geek Squad kid hooking the system up and saying it seems to work to him when the cinemas are skipping and stuttering?

I've heard that Best Buy just gives you a gift card with the amount of the 360 on it. So if there's been a price drop you actually get a partial "refund" because when you re-buy the console it's now less. Is this true?

What is the exact name of the 360 extended warranty, and how much does it cost?

I'd appreciate any & all feedback about the Best Buy 360 extended warranty.

If you know someone who can get you into Costco, you really should just get it there. They basically have lifetime warranty on electronics. You could bring it back and get an exchange if it broke, no questions asked.

[quote name='mike.m']If you know someone who can get you into Costco, you really should just get it there. They basically have lifetime warranty on electronics. You could bring it back and get an exchange if it broke, no questions asked.[/QUOTE]

I've heard Costco changed their policy on electronics so that you can no longer do this, since people were bringing back 3 year old HDTV's and video game consoles whenever a newer version came out.

Isn't electronic item returns at Costco 30 or 90 days now? It certainly isn't Lifetime anymore.

In my experiance, if you just bring the system in they will do a straight exchange. If you want a gift card, you send it to some collection facility. You would need to call the best buy warranty center tel#. It is on the blue and yellow pamphlets that are all over the place in the store.

I had a 360 pro system that I got at launch, I had sent it into msft a couple of months later (there weren't any in stores) and the repaired system died on me this summer. I wanted to upgrade to the elite. My local store, and several surrounding ones wouldn't let me just pay the difference between my original purchase and the elite and they told me to call the 800 #. I sent it out, and in under 2 weeks I had my gift card.

If I remeber correctly the 360's warranty was about $99. Their warranties are usually tiered according to the price of a product, but I think they jacked the 360's up (I think, I could be wrong, the launch warranty I got was $79).

Wait, so Costco doesn't allow exchanging consoles anymore?
My 360 has that stupid disc read error problem but no Red Rings, but I did buy the bundle from Costco a while back. I heard that you had to return everything though.

Just askem for the warranty they will tell u the name

I dont know the rest but just a BTW that I learned the hard way. I replaced mine 1 year and 3 weeks after I bought my 3 year warranty. They informed me that in the 2nd year of the warranty I can only replace it 1 time then its up. After that I have the standard 30 days of having a new product from there store but then would need to buy a new warranty. I did because the 360 is a shitty peice of hardware but they tell you 2 year warranty and you get 1 and 1 replacement after the 1st year

[quote name='-BigC-']Just askem for the warranty they will tell u the name

I dont know the rest but just a BTW that I learned the hard way. I replaced mine 1 year and 3 weeks after I bought my 3 year warranty. They informed me that in the 2nd year of the warranty I can only replace it 1 time then its up. After that I have the standard 30 days of having a new product from there store but then would need to buy a new warranty. I did because the 360 is a shitty peice of hardware but they tell you 2 year warranty and you get 1 and 1 replacement after the 1st year[/QUOTE]

But I can continue to renew the warranty if I buy another warranty, right?

Like console breaks within 6 months, replaced for free. Console breaks after 15 months, it's replaced for free, but the warranty has now been redeemed, and I no longer have an extended warranty through Best Buy, unless I want to buy an new extended warranty?

If so, I have no problem with that.

Wireless Network Adapter Question:

I have a refurbished Xbox 360 and bought a new wireless adapter. It has the steady red light indicator. When I go into my network settings to edit basic settings it does not even allow me to change my SSID, or mess with anything under the wireless settings. It is all greyed out.

I haven't heard that Costco changed their policy. In fact, just about a month ago a friend at work exchanged his original 360 without hdmi, for a 360 WITH hdmi and even got $50 back because he paid $400 for his system.

You could always call them and ask them.

This is from their site:
Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

Game systems aren't listed, but thats for a refund. Says nothing about exchange.

[quote name='Haggar']But I can continue to renew the warranty if I buy another warranty, right?

Like console breaks within 6 months, replaced for free. Console breaks after 15 months, it's replaced for free, but the warranty has now been redeemed, and I no longer have an extended warranty through Best Buy, unless I want to buy an new extended warranty?

If so, I have no problem with that.[/QUOTE]

That's correct since I just replaced my elite on monday after owning it for 8 months. I just brought it in and the CSR told me to have the media department send a new one over. After switching out hard drives, I asked if I needed to buy a new warranty since I just redeemed it but she said that within one year you can exchange it without using up the warranty. After the first year though, you would need to purchase the warranty again. It's pretty good but after some of the posts here saying that costco didn't change their exchange policy, they look like a good place to buy from as well.

What would work best to cool the 360, a laptop fan or the Intercooler ? I know there's a fan that kills the 360 but I forgot the name of that one.

[quote name='goukill1120']What would work best to cool the 360, a laptop fan or the Intercooler ? I know there's a fan that kills the 360 but I forgot the name of that one.[/quote]

That would be the intercooler that kills 360s.

360 red ringed the other day. Hope it holds out till June when I get a Ps3. Then I'll see about getting some use out of the warranty.

hey if i send my 360 elite in for repare will i get an elite back i ask this becase a few cag casts ago i heard about the guy who sent his special 360 in and dident get the same one back

So I had to do a warranty repair, and when the refurbished box came back it was louder than ever. I was upset to get a refurbished unit, but they assured me it would perform the same as my original.

Before it had just been the dvd drive, but now the fans are loud all of the time.

I'd sort of grudgingly accepted it, but now with GTA coming up it is one of the major deciding factors with regards to the system for which I'll purchase it.

It's been a few months since I'd received the refurbished - anyone know how they would handle a situation like this? Or would I have to induce another RRoD to get a replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back