XBOX360 Price Drops for all versions - $449/$349/$279 - Premiums Now Sporting HDMI

DX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Official Press Release:

...Family of Consoles
Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on August 8. At a new price of $349.99, Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20 GB hard drive, Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Headset, and more.

If you're looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize your console as you see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an estimated retail price of $279.99. Xbox 360 Core System provides everything you need to hit the ground running, while giving you the ability to expand with new features and accessories you want.

Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at $449.99 if you want the premium games and entertainment experience.

In anticipation of this year's largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with a price of $399.99. Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console includes a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, 360 Play & Charge Kit, and more.
Full Press Release: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0806-consoleprice.htm
LinkinPrime Edit

Circuit City confirms price drop on all 3 versions:

ccproof.jpg

Elite - $449.99
Premium - $349.99
Core - $279.99
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/31/circuit-city-ad-confirms-360-price-drop-on-all-models/

Wal Mart ad
rollbackyo2.jpg

CheapyD Edit: It appears this image originated from Sith Ninja at Modojo

Not "huge" but $50 is $50.

Thanks to Ugamer X for the picture:

Toys R Us Ad

via ugamer and zoo

^I guess I'll hold off from buying a XBox 360,
Does this chip mean an additional pricedrop in the future or is this current price drop a result of it?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Here's the details on the "Falcon"
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/09/a-smaller-cooler-falcon-should-be-soaring-this-fall/[/QUOTE]

Takahashi's no chump, but the majority of that post is speculation: speculation about its release, speculation about its impact on the console's reliability, etc. I don't doubt that it's coming, but that I don't see it as the be-all, end-all solution to the 360's woes. It's going to be cheaper to produce those chips, so the financial incentive is there if the reliability issue remains unsolved (which, given the extra heatsinks used now, may already be solved, irrespective of chip size).

[quote name='mykevermin']Takahashi's no chump, but the majority of that post is speculation: speculation about its release, speculation about its impact on the console's reliability, etc. I don't doubt that it's coming, but that I don't see it as the be-all, end-all solution to the 360's woes. It's going to be cheaper to produce those chips, so the financial incentive is there if the reliability issue remains unsolved (which, given the extra heatsinks used now, may already be solved, irrespective of chip size).[/quote]
That's why I never said its coming out for sure. I used such words as: supposed and "falcon" for a reason.

Hehe - this is no consolation to those waiting for huge price drops, but I'm glad the Elite is only dropping $30 - doesn't make me feel too bad about buying one a few months ago. I've definitely gotten $30 worth of entertainment out of it since then. NOW, if they add the better chips (and it turns out Elites are as bad as the others which we don't know for sure yet) AND drop it to $400 in the Fall, as some have speculated, then I'll be pissed ;).

As for whether to get an ELite vs a premium, hard to say. As Linkin says, the HD is definitely useful, but not a big deal for everyone. Now that there is a $100 difference it is probably a bit harder to justify an Elite. However, I have certainly made use of the extra HD space. I only have about 60GB free right now! Of course, I could manage the space and delete stuff, but you know what, I don't HAVE to, and saving that time and effort is worth some small amount of money. My kids love playing all the demos, and while I haven't purchased any videos, I have lots of trailers and clips - we go through and watch many of them now and then. I haven't even loaded it up with MP3s and pictures yet, but I probably will (sure, I can stream from my PC but that isn't always the best way). Point is, I have the space to do all that and it is nice...

And once again on the 65nm chips - this is a COST SAVINGS measure for Microsoft first and foremost. It MAY have the side benefit of better reliability (most likely it will but no guarantees). But MS will never advertize it as such and make a big deal about the inclusion in any new systems because they would be admitting (even more ;)) the failure of the original model. Who knows, maybe they will since they have gone down that path with the 3 year extension. I just see the 65nm chips being snuck into future production without much fanfare - it will take people opening up systems to see which production lines/dates/serial numbers have the new chips and which don't and for a long while both types will be in stores. The price drop with the new chips is speculation based only on the fact that these are cheaper to make - again, that is cost savings for MS and maybe they pass that on and maybe they don't depending on other factors (obviously if sales are good through the Fall probably no drop - also the big cost of the warranty extension may make them want to keep the extra profit from the new chips).

I call bullshit on the weak Core/Elite drops. If i got a system again, it'd be a core since I kept my Hard Drive. This $20 drop is meaningless. Screw you, MS.

[quote name='io']And once again on the 65nm chips - this is a COST SAVINGS measure for Microsoft first and foremost. It MAY have the side benefit of better reliability (most likely it will but no guarantees). [/quote]

Increasing reliability is also a cost saving action.

Most likely MS would not admit that the 65nm is more reliable, at least not yet, but, I never would have guessed it would offer a 3yr warranty either so anything is possible.

Overall, I am disappointed by this weak price drop on the Elite. I want the Elite for the color and the HDMI (could care less about the HDD), but it is harder to justify the "Elite" purchase when there is a $100 price difference. I guess I could always sell the 120GB HDD and buy the 20GB one.

I absolutely refuse to buy a system that has failed as much as the 360 has. Therefore, I will be waiting for the new chip set in hopes that it will decrease the failure rates. While the 3yr warranty is nice, I really don't want to have to deal with sending it in for repairs.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']that would be a router... he was looking for a wireless adapter specifically for the xbox.[/quote]

Ooops...sorry. I could have sworn I read adapter on that thread...:whistle2:#

It's a good start, but increasing the price difference between the elite and premium is a bad, confusing move. I'd definitely go for the premium if I wasn't going to wait and see if the new chips will be out in the fall. I wasn't a fan of MS's multiple SKU plan before and this probably hurts it even more.

And once again on the 65nm chips - this is a COST SAVINGS measure for Microsoft first and foremost. It MAY have the side benefit of better reliability (most likely it will but no guarantees). But MS will never advertize it as such and make a big deal about the inclusion in any new systems because they would be admitting (even more ) the failure of the original model. Who knows, maybe they will since they have gone down that path with the 3 year extension. I just see the 65nm chips being snuck into future production without much fanfare - it will take people opening up systems to see which production lines/dates/serial numbers have the new chips and which don't and for a long while both types will be in stores. The price drop with the new chips is speculation based only on the fact that these are cheaper to make - again, that is cost savings for MS and maybe they pass that on and maybe they don't depending on other factors (obviously if sales are good through the Fall probably no drop - also the big cost of the warranty extension may make them want to keep the extra profit from the new chips).

i'd like to believe it's just a cost savings measure, but I'm more inclined to think it's to fix poor design. but they would never say that.

[quote name='Justin42']I'm shocked how little the core is dropping-- I got my 360 as part of the Tower clearance last fall when all they had left was Cores. I never imagined the $225 I paid would survive the first price cut as still a better price. ;)

(yes, it's been upgraded back to a premium since-- using deals mostly from CAG to not pay full price for any of it.. ;) )[/quote]

I got my premium in the same clearance sale. 25% off = $300 Premium. So I also beat the first price cut. \\:D/

[quote name='Apossum']i'd like to believe it's just a cost savings measure, but I'm more inclined to think it's to fix poor design. but they would never say that.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think initially it was purely a cost savings thing. I mean, Sony is doing the same thing (eventually) and they don't have the reliability issue. These chips have probably been in the works since the 360 launched and well before MS knew, even internally, there was a problem. I'm sure it will turn out to be both. Hey, MS could even swing this in their favor - they could go all out and release these as a new "more reliable" model (with a new case design and all that) and NOT drop the price and get not only those who waited but a bunch of current 360 owners to buy another system. :lol:

[quote name='io']
And once again on the 65nm chips - this is a COST SAVINGS measure for Microsoft first and foremost. It MAY have the side benefit of better reliability (most likely it will but no guarantees). But MS will never advertize it as such and make a big deal about the inclusion in any new systems because they would be admitting (even more ;)) the failure of the original model. [/QUOTE]

We'll they probably won't advertise it as fixed, but you can be sure that they'll be making damn sure the new design has the known flaws fixed. Cooler chip, quieter drive, extra heatsink, whatever. They don't want to keep repairing such a high rate of consoles.

But of course, they already admitted the failure of the original model by announcing that all 11.6 million shipped had defects which could cause them to fail, and thus extending the warranty for 3 years. ;)

[quote name='io']Well, I think initially it was purely a cost savings thing. I mean, Sony is doing the same thing (eventually) and they don't have the reliability issue. These chips have probably been in the works since the 360 launched and well before MS knew, even internally, there was a problem. I'm sure it will turn out to be both. Hey, MS could even swing this in their favor - they could go all out and release these as a new "more reliable" model (with a new case design and all that) and NOT drop the price and get not only those who waited but a bunch of current 360 owners to buy another system. :lol:[/QUOTE]

this is the world's largest PC corporation, they have some of the best and the brightest in the electronics world, and a problem that could kill every 360 just slipped by? They had to know there was a potential problem. and lets not forget they didn't think anything of the mass amounts of rrod for the first few months it was out.

I'm imagining a little guy walking up to J.Allard months before launch and telling him about the problem, saying that they couldn't launch a broken product. Then J.Allard pulls out a gun and shoots the guy in the head and has the guards take him away :lol:

One thing I noticed with the ad that mentioned all three consoles is how the amount off says 'price BREAK', which usually(in Target terms anyway) means that it's that amount off for a limited amount of time, then it goes back up.

And while the other 2 ads I saw posted in the OP seem to confirm a price DROP, I have a feeling that this may be more of just a temporary drop(like Sony's with the PS3) to clear out old stock before the redesigned/fixed 360's come out.

Although, it is weird that 3 retailers would have the same pricing scheme for them at the same time, unless it is a price break from MS as I said above, JUST to clear the old stock out.

I'd say Table Tennis is only good with the Premium, based on that CC ad.
The hundred dollar difference between Premium and Elite is a little intimidating--I was interesting in the elite so I wouldn't have to work on managing that space that diligently, and because I now have bunches of Marketplace points. It does look like they're trying to move the Premium over the Core.
At Best Buy the Core shelf tag had a red dot which I think means clearance/discontinued, so that's an interesting move.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']One thing I noticed with the ad that mentioned all three consoles is how the amount off says 'price BREAK', which usually(in Target terms anyway) means that it's that amount off for a limited amount of time, then it goes back up.

And while the other 2 ads I saw posted in the OP seem to confirm a price DROP, I have a feeling that this may be more of just a temporary drop(like Sony's with the PS3) to clear out old stock before the redesigned/fixed 360's come out.

Although, it is weird that 3 retailers would have the same pricing scheme for them at the same time, unless it is a price break from MS as I said above, JUST to clear the old stock out.[/quote]
Don't worry about it, its a drop. If I recall correctly, the PS3 drop also showed up as a "Price Break" on Circuit City's ad a couple weeks back.

Does microsoft only want to sell the premiums? With the Elite costing $100 more than the premium, and the premium only being $80 more than the core, it cleary seems the best value is the Premium.

what will happen to all those core unit? at this point store are going to be stuck with them. Maybe there will be a black friday deal for them for cheap

[quote name='pinoy530']Does microsoft only want to sell the premiums? With the Elite costing $100 more than the premium, and the premium only being $80 more than the core, it cleary seems the best value is the Premium.[/QUOTE]
With 120GB hard drives priced at $180, you can bet your ass people will keep buying the Elite.

(this is assuming the premium will eventualy have HDMI, without it the Elite is even more of a "better deal")

[quote name='bigdsinferno']that would be a router... he was looking for a wireless adapter specifically for the xbox.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't take much to get OpenWRT running on netgear, and after that a wireless device is only limited by its physical capabilities.

what is best buys price match policy...I bought a new elite on the 16th of july...could I go in and get $30 back, or if I wanted that $30 would I need to return it and buy another one?

This thread is hilarious. MS DROPS the price on its systems and people complain. I don't think some of you will ever be happy with anything.

[quote name='mmn']This thread is hilarious. MS DROPS the price on its systems and people complain. I don't think some of you will ever be happy with anything.[/QUOTE]

They might as well increase the price ten buccks. People would still buy it and complain, and they make more money.

To be honest, their price cust strategy makes no rational sense between consoles. $20 for the cors? $30 for the Elite? I mean, wtf?

If the Spartan Edition isn't $350 in September and some bullshit like $380, I'll writ them a fucking letter.

^Reading this thread, I didn't even notice that the three consoles didn't evenly drop $50 each like the rumor had been going around in the past!

I don't understand what is going on with Microsoft.

Ackbar-- prepare your letter because you know that bitch will be $399 without an actual copy of Halo 3 ;)

[quote name='Apossum']Ackbar-- prepare your letter because you know that bitch will be $399 without an actual copy of Halo 3 ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, that HDMI port is expensive.

They only cut the core price by 20$ because they know people will still buy it.. if I were to choose a Wii or a 360Core for 30$ more, you can be sure I will take the 360Core.. an example of the targetted customer: family, teenagers, occasional gamers. All you need is a memory card and you're set for sweet 360 action. Why pay for component cable when you have a shitty 24" tv? or headset when you don't plan on going online?

Sure, it's a crappy deals but it will sell (assuming they do not drop it). Or maybe they just want to clear their inventory of cores while still making some $$ of it? Only time will tell

I'm really interested how the situation will turn out here in Canada, i'm ready to buy a 360 the moment it drops in price and with the strong canadian dollar we will hopefully see a bigger drop than 50$US.

Aight, so this is the plan folks: we're going to return the 360 back at TRU with the giftcard. After that, we're going to go to Circuit City and it. When August 12th rolls around, we're going to go in, price match so she gets her money back (plus 10%) and get Rockstar's Table Tennis as well. Sounds good to me.

All I have to do is hold off opening the system until Thursday which I can do (since I've already withstood from opening it since I got it this past Saturday.

nice... i been thinking about getting a 360 for the naruto game (well if its good)...hopefully 360 will get even cheaper by then or at least have some incentives

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']Aight, so this is the plan folks: we're going to return the 360 back at TRU with the giftcard. After that, we're going to go to Circuit City and it. When August 12th rolls around, we're going to go in, price match so she gets her money back (plus 10%) and get Rockstar's Table Tennis as well. Sounds good to me.

All I have to do is hold off opening the system until Thursday which I can do (since I've already withstood from opening it since I got it this past Saturday.[/quote]

You know you can open it right? PM only requires the receipt.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You know you can open it right? PM only requires the receipt.[/QUOTE]
For the pricematch, yes. But what about Table Tennis? Free offers aren't generally covered under pricematching.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You know you can open it right? PM only requires the receipt.[/QUOTE]

I know that, but my gf is going to return the TRU one and get it from Circuit City on Thursday. On Thursday I'll open it, since I'll be PMing with Circuit City.

My gf and I got it from TRU. We're returning it and then getting it from Circuit City on Thursday. On Thursday, I will open and play the system. When the weekend of Augusth 12th comes, I'll PM the price and get the free game.

I called to verify that I would get the game since there policy says that they don't do that with PM. However, when I asked for her name, her tone of voice made it seem like she was lying.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']Aight, so this is the plan folks: we're going to return the 360 back at TRU with the giftcard. After that, we're going to go to Circuit City and it. When August 12th rolls around, we're going to go in, price match so she gets her money back (plus 10%) and get Rockstar's Table Tennis as well. Sounds good to me.

All I have to do is hold off opening the system until Thursday which I can do (since I've already withstood from opening it since I got it this past Saturday.[/quote]

One problem: You don't get the +10% when you price adjust against CC itself. Only when you're price matching competitors.

[quote name='help1']Why not drop all of them by 50?[/quote]
Because that would actually make sense (and dropping the Elite by $80 would make even more sense). Obviously everyone at Microsoft is too stupid to understand that.

I have a dilemma. I want an xbox premium with forza2.

Right now in Canada, there's a bundle for 530$ (Premium, Forza2, Viva Pinata, Lego star wars, extra wireless controller)

If i wait till the price drop, in the best case scenario , the premium will be 400$, add 70$ for forza and 60$ for the controller... total is 530$... but i get 2 free games

arghhhhhh what should i do???

[quote name='kimphamg']I have a dilemma. I want an xbox premium with forza2.

Right now in Canada, there's a bundle for 530$ (Premium, Forza2, Viva Pinata, Lego star wars, extra wireless controller)

If i wait till the price drop, in the best case scenario , the premium will be 400$, add 70$ for forza and 60$ for the controller... total is 530$... but i get 2 free games

arghhhhhh what should i do???[/QUOTE]

viva pinata and lego star wars are good games. plus, can't you price-match after?

bread's done
Back