Xenoblade Chronicles available now in Europe

Ordered this yesterday from Zavvi with a couple other games to make use of the 5 off 50 coupon and it shipped out yesterday. Should be playing this in 2-3 weeks. Maybe i should get my Dolphin running up to snub to get the most out of this game.

This game is kick-ass! I am so glad I hacked my Wii to play this.

It's sad to see NOA bring out all these crap games for the holiday season when they could be releasing Xenoblade.

The British voices are perfect for this game.

[quote name='skubish']This game is kick-ass! I am so glad I hacked my Wii to play this.[/QUOTE]

Totally. I even re-bought the Wii for this game, as I'd sold mine years ago. So glad there's a workaround.

For folks who are past Prison Island, doesn't
Fiora look a lot like Aigis from Persona 3
? I CAN'T be the only person on the internet who thought this.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']For folks who are past Prison Island, doesn't
Fiora look a lot like Aigis from Persona 3
? I CAN'T be the only person on the internet who thought this.[/QUOTE]

... Not really. I mean,
the body is kinda similar but... still, not really

On an unrelated note, you're getting to the juicy story stuff now. I can't wait until somebody beats it so that we can discuss the ending.

[quote name='Vinny']... Not really. I mean,
the body is kinda similar but... still, not really

On an unrelated note, you're getting to the juicy story stuff now. I can't wait until somebody beats it so that we can discuss the ending.[/QUOTE]

What, the short, blonde hair, the head armor, the white machine body armor doesn't look like Aigis? Seriously?

Yeah I'm around level 60 right now and
just got to the Mechonis Village. Doing quests right now then moving along with the story.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
What, the short, blonde hair, the head armor, the white machine body armor doesn't look like Aigis? Seriously?

Yeah I'm around level 60 right now and
just got to the Mechonis Village. Doing quests right now then moving along with the story.
[/QUOTE]

Well, if you mean by the fact that they both have short blond hair, white (well, mostly white for Fiora) armor and something on their heads then I guess they do.... but specifically, no, I don't see it. I can definitely believe that Fiora was inspired by Aigis though.

Over 90 hours in and still loving it... God help me.

For Vinny: I'm in
Central Factory first visit
now, level 65. Now, do
Reyn and Sharla ever hook up or is the game just stringing us along like any other game in that regard?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
For Vinny: I'm in
Central Factory first visit
now, level 65. Now, do
Reyn and Sharla ever hook up or is the game just stringing us along like any other game in that regard?
[/QUOTE]

I'd rather not say because there's an interesting twist coming up (you've probably seen it by now).

But if you just want a simple answer (without spoiling anything else):
No, they don't hook up like Shulk and ?????? (hah! there's another mystery) but based on their end sequence, it's clearly obvious what will happen in the unseen future

[quote name='Vinny']I'd rather not say because there's an interesting twist coming up (you've probably seen it by now).

But if you just want a simple answer (without spoiling anything else):
No, they don't hook up like Shulk and ?????? (hah! there's another mystery) but based on their end sequence, it's clearly obvious what will happen in the unseen future
.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know (ending spoilers here)
Gadolt is now a face mechon, but fuck man, they better not bring him back to human form like I know they do with Fiora. So far that's the only real part of the ending that was spoiled for me.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah I know (ending spoilers here)
Gadolt is now a face mechon, but fuck man, they better not bring him back to human form like I know they do with Fiora. So far that's the only real part of the ending that was spoiled for me.
[/QUOTE]

That really sucks since that's one of the things the developers hid so well. I honestly had no clue as to
who Shulk would end up with or what would actually happen to Fiora. They really did a good job on making the story for this game unpredictable

But there's still tons of revelations left so don't fret too much. You'll soon know what happens with
Reyn, Sharla and Gadolt

Just completed
Agniratha.
Vinny, I am confused on the scene I just saw. Did they
just leave Gadolt there for no reason? I mean sure he was in shitty shape, but you figured they would at least get him medical attention then and there. I am thinking I might have missing something. My husband was talking with me during it so it didn't have 100% of my attention.

Edit: Ah, it looks like
a lame plot device so he can save the party when they leave? Let me know if I'm wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just completed
Agniratha.
Vinny, I am confused on the scene I just saw. Did they
just leave Gadolt there for no reason? I mean sure he was in shitty shape, but you figured they would at least get him medical attention then and there. I am thinking I might have missing something. My husband was talking with me during it so it didn't have 100% of my attention.

Edit: Ah, it looks like
a lame plot device so he can save the party when they leave? Let me know if I'm wrong...
[/QUOTE]

Officially, they left him there because they're short on time. Sharla wanted to take him back to Linada for medical care but Gadolt reminded her that they need to stop Egil before he activates the Mechonis. But really, yes, it's a plot device.

I'm kinda wondering as to why you asked about it being a plot device though? Did you already finish that part after you posted or did you look/read ahead out of curiosity?

[quote name='Vinny']
Officially, they left him there because they're short on time. Sharla wanted to take him back to Linada for medical care but Gadolt reminded her that they need to stop Egil before he activates the Mechonis. But really, yes, it's a plot device.

I'm kinda wondering as to why you asked about it being a plot device though? Did you already finish that part after you posted or did you look/read ahead out of curiosity?
[/QUOTE]

I edited my post because I had gotten past that point. Another goddamn question because I get distracted by life while playing. Again, this is endgame shit so don't click if you aren't there yet.

While Shulk is "recovering" at Junks in Colony 6, Melia and Fiora chat and Melia promises not to tell Fiora's secret. Of course I got distracted right where she says what the secret is. I'm sure it's how she's pretty much dying because Meyneth is now gone, but just want to make sure.

I originally passed on the game altogether because I held out on some fetid, flaccid hope that NoA would ...I'm too tired to think up an analogy here due to sickness.

When this failed, I looked online, but it was sold out. Then I decided I wanted the CC combo. I've patiently waited and just found it to be in stock at Game.co.uk, so I've placed an order.

I've fallen out of the JRPG circles I used to inhabit, but the clamor has ensnared me. So now I wait for it to arrive. Should it reach American shores in an official capacity later on, and provided the game proves enjoyable, I'll just support it again.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I edited my post because I had gotten past that point. Another goddamn question because I get distracted by life while playing. Again, this is endgame shit so don't click if you aren't there yet.

While Shulk is "recovering" at Junks in Colony 6, Melia and Fiora chat and Melia promises not to tell Fiora's secret. Of course I got distracted right where she says what the secret is. I'm sure it's how she's pretty much dying because Meyneth is now gone, but just want to make sure.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, pretty much. It's not so much as Meyneth leaving (and dying) as it is the 2nd Monado (which was hidden in place of Fiora's power core so that's why nobody knew of it, even when they learned of Meyneth's spirit inside of Fiora. She's now running on reserve power and will only live as long as the power lasts.

BTW, you do realize you can pause any cut-scene, right? I think it was the "+" button...

[quote name='Vinny']
Yeah, pretty much. It's not so much as Meyneth leaving (and dying) as it is the 2nd Monado (which was hidden in place of Fiora's power core so that's why nobody knew of it, even when they learned of Meyneth's spirit inside of Fiora. She's now running on reserve power and will only live as long as the power lasts.

BTW, you do realize you can pause any cut-scene, right? I think it was the "+" button...[/QUOTE]

You could also technically pause it with the Home button as well. Thanks for your help though, much appreciated. Got to
Lorithia
last night and the fucking boss is such a mess. Gonna do some quests/level before I try again. Tried about 10 times last night, came really close once, before the boss toppled and confused me and then threw me into the acid leaving me completely helpless. Son of a bitch.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']You could also technically pause it with the Home button as well. Thanks for your help though, much appreciated. Got to
Lorithia
last night and the fucking boss is such a mess. Gonna do some quests/level before I try again. Tried about 10 times last night, came really close once, before the boss toppled and confused me and then threw me into the acid leaving me completely helpless. Son of a bitch.[/QUOTE]

That's the boss I got stuck at and couldn't figure out but it's actually very simple once I read some threads over at Gamespot/GameFAQs:
You have to use Melia. When Lorithia summons those ether spirits, her defense skyrockets and the ethers' only weakness is ether attacks. Melia's the only one with ether attacks and their area wide damage wipes them out in 10-15 seconds. Use her and Lorithia's cake.

You'll need a tank (Dunban works best since he's the best balance between defense/attack) and Sharla (when do you not need Sharla?). Take control of Melia, build up your ether stock and then unleash them on the ether spirits- don't worry about what element you use, it doesn't matter. The ethers are weak against all ether attacks. Try to use the area wide ones (I think anything outside of water and thunder).

They tell you about the ethers' weakness earlier in the game but it never really comes up as necessary until that fight...

My order got canceled. I'm trying to figure out why. I got a cancellation e-mail yesterday, and chalked it up to simple "they took more orders than they could fill." Which is annoying, but I can live with that.

But then my bank called and asked me about charges they thought were suspicious, which...ok, fair point to them, but it's not like I haven't ordered stuff from import stores in the past from other countries. So it seems like they denied the charge twice, and Game.co.uk canceled it. I told my bank these charges were valid/approved, so now I can try to reorder it...

...but it's not in stock any longer. I went ahead and created an account so I could get in-stock alerts. One went off last night at about 1 AM, but I was asleep, and it's not in stock again.

So here's hoping it comes back into stock and my bank lets it go through. Bleh.

[quote name='Strell']My order got canceled. I'm trying to figure out why. I got a cancellation e-mail yesterday, and chalked it up to simple "they took more orders than they could fill." Which is annoying, but I can live with that.

But then my bank called and asked me about charges they thought were suspicious, which...ok, fair point to them, but it's not like I haven't ordered stuff from import stores in the past from other countries. So it seems like they denied the charge twice, and Game.co.uk canceled it. I told my bank these charges were valid/approved, so now I can try to reorder it...

...but it's not in stock any longer. I went ahead and created an account so I could get in-stock alerts. One went off last night at about 1 AM, but I was asleep, and it's not in stock again.

So here's hoping it comes back into stock and my bank lets it go through. Bleh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the LE edition bundle was hard to get even in the pre-order stage since they didn't make enough. I'm not sure what the game only availability is, but there's always Ebay (UK) as an option, might have to pay a small premium, but you'll get your item anyway.

The LE just comes with a controller, right? So I'm not missing out on anything cool by not getting it? I saw a video of someone with their LE and it had a big fat book inside, but it just looked like an oversized manual (maybe with alternate languages?)...what's that about?

[quote name='ZombieToast']The LE just comes with a controller, right? So I'm not missing out on anything cool by not getting it? I saw a video of someone with their LE and it had a big fat book inside, but it just looked like an oversized manual (maybe with alternate languages?)...what's that about?[/QUOTE]

Correct, the LE only includes a controller. The manual is indeed fat because the European version has 5 different languages on one disc and likewise, the manual was printed in 5 different languages as well. It's a common practice for smaller print games in Europe.

[quote name='Vinny']That's the boss I got stuck at and couldn't figure out but it's actually very simple once I read some threads over at Gamespot/GameFAQs:
You have to use Melia. When Lorithia summons those ether spirits, her defense skyrockets and the ethers' only weakness is ether attacks. Melia's the only one with ether attacks and their area wide damage wipes them out in 10-15 seconds. Use her and Lorithia's cake.

You'll need a tank (Dunban works best since he's the best balance between defense/attack) and Sharla (when do you not need Sharla?). Take control of Melia, build up your ether stock and then unleash them on the ether spirits- don't worry about what element you use, it doesn't matter. The ethers are weak against all ether attacks. Try to use the area wide ones (I think anything outside of water and thunder).

They tell you about the ethers' weakness earlier in the game but it never really comes up as necessary until that fight...[/QUOTE]

I did use Melia. I still get killed badly. Hell, I actually seem to fare worse controlling her instead of Shulk.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I did use Melia. I still get killed badly. Hell, I actually seem to fare worse controlling her instead of Shulk.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what to say then... I spent 10-15 minutes trying not to die with my normal team but with Melia, I kicked her ass in under 4 minutes.

I never claimed to be good at JRPGs, I just like them. Your fault.

OH SNAP! Just beat the boss finally!

I used a formation I never tried before: Melia (controlling), Sharla, Riki. I'd used Melia and Sharla obviously before on my tries but adding Riki to the mix was something different. It worked out well as he does decent damage, has healing, has an ether defense boost with his skill chart, and lots of HP. Shulk doesn't aggro well, Reyn and Dunban don't have healing or ether defense boosts. It took me 3 tries, but gaining a level and adding Riki in there made all the difference. fuck YEAH! You know, now that I think of it, Riki's ether skills would have been useful and probably would have made the fight even easier, but I didn't have them equipped. Oh well.

I used Riki in like two fights before I got rid of him. I had no idea WTF was going on... I didn't even know he had ether attacks.

Oh, and his battle phrases were so annoying and bad. I mean, "it's Reyn Time" is pretty bearable by comparison.

[quote name='Vinny']Correct, the LE only includes a controller. The manual is indeed fat because the European version has 5 different languages on one disc and likewise, the manual was printed in 5 different languages as well. It's a common practice for smaller print games in Europe.[/QUOTE]
That's what I figured with the book. Thanks for verifying all that. It's good to know that I don't have to scramble to try to find an LE for a good price, but it's still driving me crazy that I don't have this game yet. Heh.

[quote name='Strell']My order got canceled. I'm trying to figure out why. I got a cancellation e-mail yesterday, and chalked it up to simple "they took more orders than they could fill." Which is annoying, but I can live with that.
[/QUOTE]
Game.co.uk seem to have done a lot of unexplained cancellations recently, so you're not alone.

Thanks to the CAG who made these available. Just ordered one with the remote for around $87. Guess that's a good price based on how limited it was and how high the prices are elsewhere.

[quote name='jer7583']Thanks to the CAG who made these available. Just ordered one with the remote for around $87. Guess that's a good price based on how limited it was and how high the prices are elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

It's not a remote. It's a CC Pro.

And a lot of people apparently prefer the Wiimote + nunchuck anyway. I didn't get the bundle, was kinda pissed that the game didn't have Gamecube controller support at first, but they actually did a nice job of making the Wiimote + nunchuck work with this game.

Doing some final dungeon stuff right now, will probably do some more quests later. I don't know how many of them I'll do before I finish the game though. Honestly, I don't really feel a need to rush through just because I got Persona 2 and Solatorobo on the backburner. It's not like there's anything else coming out this year that I plan on buying, may as well keep playing Xenoblade until I get sick of it. Over 120 hours now. It's almost a bad thing that they fixed the clock (the Japanese version's clock had a limit of 99:59); now I know how exactly much of my life I've wasted on this game. :lol:

I couldn't play the game using the Remote/Nunchuck set up.. felt awful. The Classic Controller (with the Nyko grips, the Pro version sucks) was perfect though.

Pretty fucking awesome: killing a unique 5 levels above me as well as two underlings who were also a few levels above me. Melia makes it a lot easier to do that.

One dumb part of the game: Certain uniques seem to aggro you no matter what level you are. I'm 80 and some dude who's level 30 decides to attack me.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Pretty fucking awesome: killing a unique 5 levels above me as well as two underlings who were also a few levels above me. Melia makes it a lot easier to do that.

One dumb part of the game: Certain uniques seem to aggro you no matter what level you are. I'm 80 and some dude who's level 30 decides to attack me.[/QUOTE]

There are many monsters who will aggro you regardless, depending on their hostility.

I didn't kill any of the really powerful uniques. I really wanted to kill that level 85 giant (something Gonzales was his name I think) just outside of the area you use to shortcut through to the Colony 6 mines.

Man there are so goddamn many endgame quests to do. And a lot of them have enemies in the 90s involved, so I can't even touch them yet. Kind of sucks. :/ I might level up a couple more times, then go and beat the game, and come back and do more questing after that.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Man there are so goddamn many endgame quests to do. And a lot of them have enemies in the 90s involved, so I can't even touch them yet. Kind of sucks. :/ I might level up a couple more times, then go and beat the game, and come back and do more questing after that.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you wanna finish the game 100%, you'll have to do it in one play through. Quests aren't carried over in the New Game+ mode. I wonder how much grinding is required to get to level 99 in one play through...

This game really needed a guide but considering how huge it is, they would probably have to make it 1000 pages. I just ordered the artbook for this game, hopefully it comes soon.

Oh I am well aware of how nothing carries over. And I don't think a lot of grinding is required considering many, many quests involve enemies in the 90s.... But yeah, I think I'm just going to beat the game and then reload my save and do anything else I want then. I'm level 81-82 and I'm wondering if that'll be enough...

[quote name='Vinny']I beat the game at level 65, I don't think you'll have much trouble.;)[/QUOTE]

That can't be real. The final boss is level 83 dude.

At the final boss right now. My guys gained 1-2 levels getting there, now everyone's 82-84. But seriously, the last part of the final dungeon...

228909_Is_this_real_life.jpg

So fucking amazing.

EDIT: Just beat it. 131 hours on my last save. :lol:

I don't know what to say. He wasn't that hard if you know when to use Monado Shield vs Monado Armor but I didn't think his level was shown..? I could have sworn his level was just listed as "?". Now,
Dickson was a PITA. I came close to dying so many times (but never actually did) because he can easily topple or paralyze you.

In regards to the ending,
what did you think of Alvis being a computer and the whole experiment gone wrong twist? I read a lot of "WTF" comments elsewhere but I thought it actually made sense when you consider what Meynard said ('create a world without the need for Gods', ie Alvis) and what Shulk ultimately chose to do.

Now the wait behinds for The Last Story.:whistle2:k

His level is not shown. Somehow people figured it out. And interesting, I found
him much harder than Dickson.

I'll post more about the ending later, need to continue getting ready for work.

About the ending:
It was pretty reasonable to me. Star Ocean 3 had a similar plot device, but they completely blew it in that game. This game made it work somehow. I think it's just testament to how good this game really is. And how crappy tri-Ace is at creating decent scenarios.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']About the ending:
It was pretty reasonable to me. Star Ocean 3 had a similar plot device, but they completely blew it in that game. This game made it work somehow. I think it's just testament to how good this game really is. And how crappy tri-Ace is at creating decent scenarios.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't like it when they first introduced it (it was really out of the blue) but they tied it up nicely and didn't let it obstruct the overall story/ending. They're definitely a talented studio though their efforts seem wasted with Nintendo (can you imagine this game on the PS3/360?). I finished Xenosaga III a few months ago and that was an awesome game (though the first two weren't that great) and now I'm seriously thinking about given Baten Kaitos another try as that game has fairly vocal group of fans.

First Radiant Historia and now this game- can't remember the last time two A+ RPGs were released in one year (not since the PS1 days?).

[quote name='pete5883']My hype died down a bit after release because I didn't have the time to start it. You guys are killing me here.[/QUOTE]

Ahh good lead-in to my post then. If you think that's bad then you'll love this...

Nintendo Europe confirms that Last Story and Pandora's Tower are on the way...(got this in my email, btw, when I signed up for NOE Club Nintendo when I registered Xenoblade and got my free soundtrack, they send me updates now on new products and promotions like this, another smack to the face of NOA)

screen1qi.png

screen2za.png

[quote name='uncle5555']Ahh good lead-in to my post then. If you think that's bad then you'll love this...

Nintendo Europe confirms that Last Story and Pandora's Tower are on the way...(got this in my email, btw, when I signed up for NOE Club Nintendo when I registered Xenoblade and got my free soundtrack, they send me updates now on new products and promotions like this, another smack to the face of NOA)
[/QUOTE]

There's a good chance that NoA (good meaning 10-15%, that's about as good as it gets with these dumbasses) will release The Last Story here... and if they do, I'm honestly not sure what I would do. On one hand, I'd rather support NoE because they actually listen to their fans. On the other hand, if sales for TLS are poor, NoA will probably never bother with a risky title again.

Additionally, I'm not sure if you guys have noticed or not but some retailers are sold out of Xenoblade again.:)

[quote name='Vinny']There's a good chance that NoA (good meaning 10-15%, that's about as good as it gets with these dumbasses) will release The Last Story here... and if they do, I'm honestly not sure what I would do. On one hand, I'd rather support NoE because they actually listen to their fans. On the other hand, if sales for TLS are poor, NoA will probably never bother with a risky title again.

Additionally, I'm not sure if you guys have noticed or not but some retailers are sold out of Xenoblade again.:)[/QUOTE]

No haven't been paying much attention to the UK marketplace for the game. I'm glad to see it selling so well for NOE, if we're lucky after we get the other two they might actually take a chance on Earth Seeker too. (as long as they let people actually know they are releasing it and giving it some hype)

If I believed NOA would do right by Last Story, I'd probably get it from them, thing is, I don't think they'll do a decent localization and more to the point even bother to release it even with the sales figures NOE got with Xenoblade.

And that's NOA's fault for playing it "safe" and not giving the fans what they wanted to begin with, that just gives them whatever they want to say bad about Wii sales and the lack of support from the core gamers because they aren't taking what they are giving. Should've been a case of good will, irregardless of sales, but now I bet their eating crow because of this missed opportunity (they know if they did do a US release, most people who imported would NOT buy it out of spite and then we're back to step 1, as you already pointed out)

Not going to continue on this line since everyone here pretty much knows what I think about NOA's leadership in the last decade and how poor its been. (if you need more proof, just look at the mass exodus of executives in the last 5 years to see what I'm talking about and the major snafu of moving the marketing team to NY, NY from Redmond, WA) The hits keep on a comin' from NOA. (and I'm not referencing the hit games either) ;)

bread's done
Back