Xenoblade Chronicles

[quote name='Blaster man']Wait, is Xenoblade related to Xenosaga? I finished the first Xenosaga but didn't like the 2nd so didn't finish it or the third.[/QUOTE]

The third one is fantastic, probably one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2. It actually made me appreciate the first two more. I didn't care for the first two all that much. You probably know enough of the story to just skip to the third one (the third one also has a significantly improved database so it's easy to fill in the holes).

But Xenoblade is easily Monolith Soft's best game. I hope they make a sequel, though I don't think that's happening anytime soon since they're working on a new IP for the Wii U.

[quote name='Vinny']The third one is fantastic, probably one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2. It actually made me appreciate the first two more. I didn't care for the first two all that much. You probably know enough of the story to just skip to the third one (the third one also has a significantly improved database so it's easy to fill in the holes).

But Xenoblade is easily Monolith Soft's best game. I hope they make a sequel, though I don't think that's happening anytime soon since they're working on a new IP for the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

I got rid of my PS2 and all the games for it.

So I guess this game is supposed to be kind of hard to find? I wanted to get it but was going to wait, but if it's as hard to find as people say then I guess I should just get it now.

I just want to point out that you should first check to see if the game is available in your area before asking if you should get it or if it's hard to find. Save yourself the surprise and hassle first :lol:

Got mine in the mail today. Classic gutted, unsealed, stickered 'New' copy. Gamestop sucks cocknballz. The game is mint etc - but how is that an okay sales tactic? No wonder I'm an Amazon-snob.

[quote name='get_loud']I just want to point out that you should first check to see if the game is available in your area before asking if you should get it or if it's hard to find. Save yourself the surprise and hassle first :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's been in low stock at every GS near me for awhile.

[quote name='blinknot4']Got mine in the mail today. Classic gutted, unsealed, stickered 'New' copy. Gamestop sucks cocknballz. The game is mint etc - but how is that an okay sales tactic? No wonder I'm an Amazon-snob.[/QUOTE]

Youre not a snob to expect a new item... Really i feel this must be illegal. When I go in to store if they offer me a gutted copy, i just say no thanks and leave.

But online......

GameStop online has not sent me a gutted game yet but if they did I would probably call the state attorney general and file a complaint or atleast get details on the legality of such.

[quote name='Flame Killa']So I guess this game is supposed to be kind of hard to find? I wanted to get it but was going to wait, but if it's as hard to find as people say then I guess I should just get it now.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you should just get it. It's painful for me to pay $50 for a game too. That's why I'm hoping they don't do a reprint, I want to sell it and get my money back after playing it.
[quote name='OregonDealz']Youre not a snob to expect a new item... Really i feel this must be illegal. When I go in to store if they offer me a gutted copy, i just say no thanks and leave.

But online......

GameStop online has not sent me a gutted game yet but if they did I would probably call the state attorney general and file a complaint or atleast get details on the legality of such.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. This is a big part of the reason so many CAG's hate GS.

[quote name='gmsick']to build a world around a story and then completely throw everything away in the last 10 mins makes no sense to me. im glad some got enjoyment out of the ending. i just didn't. i felt like i played 80 hours for nothing. givin it was a fun 80 hours.[/QUOTE]

yea this. not to mention there seems to be no consequence for beating the villian at the end which it seems like there should be. also the mid game twist that occurs cheapens the game greatly. not to mention there seems to be no logic in fighting the guy at the end or for him to be fighting you.
oh herp derp lets kill God that couldnt have any negative consequences to this at all and turns out nope there isnt despite it seems clear there should of been. also the amazing death at the beginning of the game gets cheapened. also even at the very end all the characters act exactly like they did one hour into the game there is 0 character growth in this game.

[quote name='Woocls']I'm just offering alternatives to paying ebay prices for this game.

Yeah, those can be frustrating but when you get them it feels so rewarding. Also, it's a little slow to begin with. It doesn't really start hitting it's stride until you meet the full cast. You don't even unlock the full battle system until hours and hours in.[/QUOTE]

I'm at the end. That's why i'm mentioning all the missed quests.

On the the whole GS gutting thing, I have to say i don't mind owning used games really, but I do think it is dumb that because of said gutting, the condition of the new game is essentially the same as the used, but we're paying the new game price. It's ridiculous.

[quote name='blinknot4']Got mine in the mail today. Classic gutted, unsealed, stickered 'New' copy. Gamestop sucks cocknballz. The game is mint etc - but how is that an okay sales tactic? No wonder I'm an Amazon-snob.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This is the first thing I've bought at Gamestop in a couple of years, and then it was a couple of used games and it had been a few years since I'd been in before that. Pretty much the only way they'll ever get me in there again is to have another exclusive game like this that I really want. My copy from the store was a pre-opened "new" game as well.

I guess to play devil's advocate I was buying it so that I could open it up and play it, but it's still kind of annoying.

I never buy gutted games from Gamestop either simply for a personal preference, but I can understand the argument. The game itself has never been played, despite the fact the packaging has been opened. Of course, to most picky people the packaging is what matters, but in Gamestop's legal terms the game itself is NEW in that it's never been played.

I kindof think of it as a similar circumstance with automobiles. The dealership is selling you what's listed as a NEW vehicle, but there are likely miles on it from being test driven and you really have no idea how many people have sat in the driver's seat.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']I never buy gutted games from Gamestop either simply for a personal preference, but I can understand the argument. The game itself has never been played, despite the fact the packaging has been opened. Of course, to most picky people the packaging is what matters, but in Gamestop's legal terms the game itself is NEW in that it's never been played.

I kindof think of it as a similar circumstance with automobiles. The dealership is selling you what's listed as a NEW vehicle, but there are likely miles on it from being test driven and you really have no idea how many people have sat in the driver's seat.[/QUOTE]I was under the impression that GS employees were allowed to "rent" gutted copies to play for free as an employee benefit. Or at least it was this way 4 or 5 years ago the last time I stepped into a GS.

[quote name='excellen']I was under the impression that GS employees were allowed to "rent" gutted copies to play for free as an employee benefit. Or at least it was this way 4 or 5 years ago the last time I stepped into a GS.[/QUOTE]

This was my impression as well. I'm pretty sure they are still allowed to do that.

[quote name='excellen']I was under the impression that GS employees were allowed to "rent" gutted copies to play for free as an employee benefit. Or at least it was this way 4 or 5 years ago the last time I stepped into a GS.[/QUOTE]

I've had employees tell me that they do it with used games all the time but none admit to doing this with new copies. That's technically illegal, because then the game would be used and therefore, would have to be sold as used. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't do it since it would be impossible to prove. And I don't think GS has a policy against this or anything.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']I never buy gutted games from Gamestop either simply for a personal preference, but I can understand the argument. The game itself has never been played, despite the fact the packaging has been opened. Of course, to most picky people the packaging is what matters, but in Gamestop's legal terms the game itself is NEW in that it's never been played.

I kindof think of it as a similar circumstance with automobiles. The dealership is selling you what's listed as a NEW vehicle, but there are likely miles on it from being test driven and you really have no idea how many people have sat in the driver's seat.[/QUOTE]

I don't think comparing them (the selling of new automobiles to the selling of new games) is an appropriate comparison. New automobiles don't come shrink wrapped in plastic.

A more valid comparison would be the selling of new DVD's, CD's and Blu-Rays. When is the last time you saw a store sell an open media item of this type as new?

I'm pretty sure it's not a policy from corporate to break the seals and 'test drive' the games. Not an official one anyway.

However, there was that incident where Gamestop went in and fished out the Onlive vouchers from boxes in the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. And that came from the top down.

When the shit really hit the fan and got out to the press they ended up giving everyone $50 vouchers to shut them up.

You'd think after all that they would be more sensitive to opening packaging of new games and still selling it, but apparently not.

[quote name='Vinny']I've had employees tell me that they do it with used games all the time but none admit to doing this with new copies. That's technically illegal, because then the game would be used and therefore, would have to be sold as used. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't do it since it would be impossible to prove. And I don't think GS has a policy against this or anything.[/QUOTE]

The problem here is that they claim these games are new. Even if the employees don't play them, the packaging is opened and by most standards, this is USED. If its not factory sealed, you can't list it as new on eBay. Only GameStop would consider this new. An automobile's value decreases as it ages and as more miles are put into it. A durable good like a used car, washing machine, etc are not like a video game.

My brother used to work at gamestop and I can say without a doubt that he "rented" out both new and used games... They have to make sure they don't damage anything. Needless to say I don't buy gutted from gamestop.

[quote name='johnoralex']My brother used to work at gamestop and I can say without a doubt that he "rented" out both new and used games... They have to make sure they don't damage anything. Needless to say I don't buy gutted from gamestop.[/QUOTE]

My point is, by everyone's standards OTHER THAN GAMESTOP'S, if the shrink wrap is off then its used. It doesn't matter if its been played by an employee or not. The game is used. That's the reason people don't like them.

[quote name='Blaster man']My point is, by everyone's standards OTHER THAN GAMESTOP'S, if the shrink wrap is off then its used. It doesn't matter if its been played by an employee or not. The game is used. That's the reason people don't like them.[/QUOTE]

Well with that settled, I guess the topic doesn't need to be debated on this site ever again.

[quote name='salty tbone']Well with that settled, I guess the topic doesn't need to be debated on this site ever again.[/QUOTE]

Is it actually a debate? I thought it was just people bitching about it.

I kindof think of it as a similar circumstance with automobiles. The dealership is selling you what's listed as a NEW vehicle, but there are likely miles on it from being test driven and you really have no idea how many people have sat in the driver's seat.[/QUOTE]
Wait. So why the hell would they open the games if they don't play them? I don't think it's picky. It's unreasonable to think that the games have been opened and then not been used.

[quote name='Blaster man']Is it actually a debate? I thought it was just people bitching about it.[/QUOTE]

Apparently there's one dude who thinks because cars are test driven before being sold and not shrink wrapped, that this is an okay practice for a game store to be doing too.

[quote name='Firefox59']Wait. So why the hell would they open the games if they don't play them? I don't think it's picky. It's unreasonable to think that the games have been opened and then not been used.[/QUOTE]

Because they stick them on the shelves and people would steal them from the boxes. They should set up "plastic prisons" like Target.

I challenge anyone to find another retail outlet that sells floor copies of any product as new. PROTIP: they don't. As far as games go, there's a little thing called "open box discount" that evey other retailer uses, if they sell opened copies at all.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']I challenge anyone to find another retail outlet that sells floor copies of any product as new. PROTIP: they don't. As far as games go, there's a little thing called "open box discount" that evey other retailer uses, if they sell opened copies at all.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. TV's and such have display/floor discounts at stores also.

[quote name='Blaster man']Is it actually a debate? I thought it was just people bitching about it.[/QUOTE]

You are correct.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']I challenge anyone to find another retail outlet that sells floor copies of any product as new. PROTIP: they don't. As far as games go, there's a little thing called "open box discount" that evey other retailer uses, if they sell opened copies at all.[/QUOTE]

I am all with you man! its BS!

citizen_cane.gif

[quote name='Japakneez']As usual, none of the whiners will do anything about it.[/QUOTE]
Not a lot you can do. This is the only place to buy this particular game.

Simply not playing the game is not the best criteria for considering a game new. They can get their greasy little finger prints all over it, drop the game and get it scratched, sneeze on it, spill coffee on it, but as long as it has never been inserted into a video game system, then it is still new?

Going by that criteria, that logic must apply.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']Simply not playing the game is not the best criteria for considering a game new. They can get their greasy little finger prints all over it, drop the game and get it scratched, sneeze on it, spill coffee on it, but as long as it has never been inserted into a video game system, then it is still new?

Going by that criteria, that logic must apply.[/QUOTE]

It gets kind of hazy since GameStop policy does let employees rent and try out games. The shadier locations will try out a new release and still try to sell it as new.

[quote name='Byakurai']It gets kind of hazy since GameStop policy does let employees rent and try out games.[/QUOTE]
Is that still their policy? I remember reading somewhere that the company has since put an end to that practice. Perhaps I'm wrong on that.

[quote name='Josef']I don't think comparing them (the selling of new automobiles to the selling of new games) is an appropriate comparison. New automobiles don't come shrink wrapped in plastic.

A more valid comparison would be the selling of new DVD's, CD's and Blu-Rays. When is the last time you saw a store sell an open media item of this type as new?[/QUOTE]

The difference with a car is that I can see on the odometer how "new" it is or isn't... there's no way for me to tell how much a GS game was "test-driven" before I got there to buy it.

[quote name='soonersfan60']The difference with the cars is that I can see on the odometer how "new" it is or isn't... there's no way for me to tell how much the GS games were "test-driven" before I got there to buy it.[/QUOTE]

Fingerprints, dust, smudges.

Gamestop should either get an extra display copy or offer the last copy at a cheaper open box price. I bought the last new copy of Xeno at a local gamestop and it had about 6 or 7 finger prints on it. Seems like if they are going to open it atleast hold it by the sides. Granted my wife had a cloth for cleaning photos lenses and it cleaned up great. But, who knows if someone took it home to play it. I'm sure it happens all the time. Plus the sealed ones sell for about $10 more on Amazon.

[quote name='Thrinn']Is that still their policy? I remember reading somewhere that the company has since put an end to that practice. Perhaps I'm wrong on that.[/QUOTE]

Nope it still goes on.

[quote name='Thrinn']Is that still their policy? I remember reading somewhere that the company has since put an end to that practice. Perhaps I'm wrong on that.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the location. I worked at a store like 2 years ago, could literally check out ANY game, whether it just released that day or not. The last store I worked at last year would only let you check out used games or things that had been out a few weeks

It was still pretty shady though. Some of the employees even redeemed one time use codes that were in the game cases they checked out, didn't even get in trouble

I don't get why they can't just use generic DVD cases print out the covers for display and use them in store. Gutting copies for display is such an absolute waste. Or just use generic cards to put on the shelves. Kinda like those Best Buy pre-order cards, except they are post-release and for shelves.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Depends on the location. I worked at a store like 2 years ago, could literally check out ANY game, whether it just released that day or not. The last store I worked at last year would only let you check out used games or things that had been out a few weeks

It was still pretty shady though. Some of the employees even redeemed one time use codes that were in the game cases they checked out, didn't even get in trouble[/QUOTE]

We can check out anything at my store as long as there are multiple copies (so customers can still buy the game lol)

I find it hard to imagine people got away with redeeming codes. That is considered stealing and wouldn't be tolerated at my store.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']I don't get why they can't just use generic DVD cases print out the covers for display and use them in store.[/QUOTE]Big Lots does this with every game they stock. They have multiple empty boxes with full color inserts on the rack. Customers take an empty box to the register and receive a sealed copy from a cabinet behind the counter.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Big Lots does this with every game they stock. They have multiple empty boxes with full color inserts on the rack. Customers take an empty box to the register and receive a sealed copy from a cabinet behind the counter.[/QUOTE]

Yet Gamestop can't get a clue. I can't think of any logical reason not to do it that way. Unless they are penny pinching so badly that they don't want to spend whatever miniscule amount it would take to fill the shelves with empty cases and printouts instead of just using games they are already receiving.

[quote name='neonglow']How likely do you guys think they will reprint this game? It's in high demand and compatible with the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

while its POSSIBLE. lets not forget how hard the fight was to get it to be released in the first place because well its nintendo. we all know they cant fully endorse and support a non mario or non zelda game. there is no excuse this game didnt get a huge print run to start with. its easily the top RPG or in the top 5 RPGs this gen and likely one of the top 10 this gen even if the story is just terrible which goes to show a games dont always need killer stories.

I haven't bought anything directly from a GS store in years because of their bad practices. This is one of only a handful of games I've gotten from GS in the last several years, always from the website. Whereas Newegg saw as many purchases in just the last six months and Amazon has seen me purchase upwards of a hundred games in that time. (Should I thank them or curse them for my backlog pile I wonder?)

bread's done
Back