Xenoblade Chronicles

[quote name='Deader2818']You could have just got a Basic Wii U for 250 + a 50 dollar gift card yesterday.[/QUOTE]

True, if I wanted to go to a bunch of trouble and hope that my target employees would allow it. Not all CSR's allow this sort of thing. Plus it's the basic. I'd like to see the deluxe for 250 with 2 games in the bundle. Probably Black Friday.

[quote name='Blaster man']True, if I wanted to go to a bunch of trouble and hope that my target employees would allow it. Not all CSR's allow this sort of thing. Plus it's the basic. I'd like to see the deluxe for 250 with 2 games in the bundle. Probably Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

You are clearly dreaming if you think its going to be $100 off and have two games with it as well by the holidays.

[quote name='Deader2818']You are clearly dreaming if you think its going to be $100 off and have two games with it as well by the holidays.[/QUOTE]

We shall see. I'm confident it will be at least 50 off and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it comes with a game in addition to Nintendoland. The other 50 off is possible depending on just how bad sales are and the prices the other consoles launch at. Maybe I am dreaming but there's nothing wrong with that.

How much was first the 3DS price cut again?

[quote name='Deader2818']You are clearly dreaming if you think its going to be $100 off and have two games with it as well by the holidays.[/QUOTE]

I think if we raised $300 on CAG and bought BM a wiiu he would send it back.

[quote name='Blaster man']We shall see. I'm confident it will be at least 50 off and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it comes with a game in addition to Nintendoland. The other 50 off is possible depending on just how bad sales are and the prices the other consoles launch at. Maybe I am dreaming but there's nothing wrong with that.

How much was first the 3DS price cut again?[/QUOTE]

while i have no idea on the wii u sales. a price cut during black friday sounds completely likely. of course this largely depends on the price of the ps4 and the new xbox if that launches too. that said the wii u will easily be the better priced deal.

I can play Xenoblade sooner now. I called Nintendo customer service and yelled at them until they gave me a "one time exception" free repair. It worked for my out of warranty RROD previously as well. The MS people went so far as to (literally) tell me not to post about the free repair on online forums. Nintendo didnt say that but they tried to make it clear that it never happens.

[quote name='Blaster man']I can play Xenoblade sooner now. I called Nintendo customer service and yelled at them until they gave me a "one time exception" free repair. It worked for my out of warranty RROD previously as well. The MS people went so far as to (literally) tell me not to post about the free repair on online forums. Nintendo didnt say that but they tried to make it clear that it never happens.[/QUOTE]

Good - now go play the game and stay off CAG for a while like most of us who have played it did for weeks/months. It will be good for everyone ;).

[quote name='io']Good - now go play the game and stay off CAG for a while like most of us who have played it did for weeks/months. It will be good for everyone ;).[/QUOTE]

hahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! That's a good one! For a second there I thought you were serious then I realized how much you guys love me and want me to be around! That was funny!

[quote name='Blaster man']hahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! That's a good one! For a second there I thought you were serious then I realized how much you guys love me and want me to be around! That was funny![/QUOTE]

not sure if serious....

[quote name='Blaster man']I can play Xenoblade sooner now. I called Nintendo customer service and yelled at them until they gave me a "one time exception" free repair. It worked for my out of warranty RROD previously as well. The MS people went so far as to (literally) tell me not to post about the free repair on online forums. Nintendo didnt say that but they tried to make it clear that it never happens.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='io']Good - now go play the game and stay off CAG for a while like most of us who have played it did for weeks/months. It will be good for everyone ;).[/QUOTE]

I got it back today.
*-These items have been repaired or replaced.
REPLACED DISC DRIVE MECHANISM
REPLACED MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD

Wow I have a brand new Wii now.

[quote name='Blaster man']I got it back today.

Wow I have a brand new Wii now.[/QUOTE]

Good shit, man. Nicely done.

Now seriously, go play it.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Good shit, man. Nicely done.

Now seriously, go play it.[/QUOTE]

Man you were fast. I removed it as I was going to post it later with some other info...guess there's no point in that as you replied so fast.

[quote name='io']Good - now go play the game and stay off CAG for a while like most of us who have played it did for weeks/months. It will be good for everyone .[/QUOTE]

I got it back today.

I have this game but my wii won't read it. I thought it might be the console but it also does not work on my wii u, the disc is in mint condition so I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

You're going to have to get it replaced by calling customer service. It's a dual layer disc I think, and you'd think they get all the kinks out of it by now.

I'm playing a little of this game an hour at a time, and I'm laughing at the random battles. The characters might as well be soccer hooligans from East London or something.

[quote name='209chromatic']I have this game but my wii won't read it. I thought it might be the console but it also does not work on my wii u, the disc is in mint condition so I'm not sure why it doesn't work..[/QUOTE]
If you have Super Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid Other M, The Last Story, or Metroid Prime Trilogy, see if you have issues loading those games, as they are all dual layer. If those load fine, then it is definitely the disc, and Nintendo should do a free replacement.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'm playing a little of this game an hour at a time, and I'm laughing at the random battles. The characters might as well be soccer hooligans from East London or something.[/QUOTE]
Xenoblade just recently moved back up to the top of my playlist, and while I used to find the VO's during battles annoying, I can see the charm in them now.

My biggest problem I'm having (which is why I stopped playing most RPGs years ago) is my OCD questing. I haven't made much progress in the main story line, since I keep getting new quests tossed at me every time I play. Granted I'm still really enjoying it, but it doesn't look like I'll finish it under 100 hours at this pace.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']
My biggest problem I'm having (which is why I stopped playing most RPGs years ago) is my OCD questing. I haven't made much progress in the main story line, since I keep getting new quests tossed at me every time I play. Granted I'm still really enjoying it, but it doesn't look like I'll finish it under 100 hours at this pace.[/QUOTE]

If you try to do every sidequest, then, no, I guarantee you won't finish in under 100 hours. I think I did a good number of them, plus tried to take down most of the uber-bosses (good luck with that if you are an OCD quester) and I think I went well over 120 hours (I think I posted here before - forget the exact number now). And I had to give up on a few of the really tough optional bosses. I know I got my characters all maxed out at level 99. And I still couldn't get close to beating the level 124 boss.

[quote name='io']If you try to do every sidequest, then, no, I guarantee you won't finish in under 100 hours. I think I did a good number of them, plus tried to take down most of the uber-bosses (good luck with that if you are an OCD quester) and I think I went well over 120 hours (I think I posted here before - forget the exact number now). And I had to give up on a few of the really tough optional bosses. I know I got my characters all maxed out at level 99. And I still couldn't get close to beating the level 124 boss.[/QUOTE]
I figured as much, I'll have to keep my expectations in check and accept a partially filled quest log. I've also vowed not to check GameFAQs / Wikis as I've done with RPGs in the past, which really kills most of the fun, in my attempt to "get it right."

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I figured as much, I'll have to keep my expectations in check and accept a partially filled quest log. I've also vowed not to check GameFAQs / Wikis as I've done with RPGs in the past, which really kills most of the fun, in my attempt to "get it right."[/QUOTE]

I will do side quest binges where I decide to spend a 3+ hour chunk with gamefaqs on my laptop and sidequests. I want to reach high affinity levels with everyone but, frankly, I don't want to wade through some of the game mechanics to do it so, yeah, I kindof cheat. The downside/upside is that I get terribly overleveled so most of the main quest stuff is pretty easy but I still run across stuff that can be annoying and tough (Reckless Godwin comes to mind).

SI

thank goodness i dont have OCD complete every quest syndrome.

that said i will say at least learning about some of the mechanics of the game and level ups and such will prove useful....dont do what i did and barrel through most of the game and get to the last boss and get crushed because i simply didnt bother with leveling up properly and making those attachment things(i forget what they are called but you attach them to weapons and clothing).

i assure you the last boss will kill you(it really wont even be fair unless you are like level 100) if you dont have that part of the game organized correctly. so take the time and do it over the course of the game.

besides hating the story....my only real complaint otherwise is towards the end there is a huge difficulty spike unless you learn the mechanics of the game a bit better.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']If you have Super Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid Other M, The Last Story, or Metroid Prime Trilogy, see if you have issues loading those games, as they are all dual layer. If those load fine, then it is definitely the disc, and Nintendo should do a free replacement.

Xenoblade just recently moved back up to the top of my playlist, and while I used to find the VO's during battles annoying, I can see the charm in them now.

My biggest problem I'm having (which is why I stopped playing most RPGs years ago) is my OCD questing. I haven't made much progress in the main story line, since I keep getting new quests tossed at me every time I play. Granted I'm still really enjoying it, but it doesn't look like I'll finish it under 100 hours at this pace.[/QUOTE]
I have a few of those games and they all work. Going to call and see if they replace it.

[quote name='Blaster man']Man you were fast. I removed it as I was going to post it later with some other info...guess there's no point in that as you replied so fast.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I must have showed up at just the right second. Forgot I even opened the tab initially.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Xenoblade just recently moved back up to the top of my playlist, and while I used to find the VO's during battles annoying, I can see the charm in them now.[/QUOTE]

tumblr_lr3pbjJTgQ1qa748ko1_500.png

[quote name='kayne2000']thank goodness i dont have OCD complete every quest syndrome.

that said i will say at least learning about some of the mechanics of the game and level ups and such will prove useful....dont do what i did and barrel through most of the game and get to the last boss and get crushed because i simply didnt bother with leveling up properly and making those attachment things(i forget what they are called but you attach them to weapons and clothing).

i assure you the last boss will kill you(it really wont even be fair unless you are like level 100) if you dont have that part of the game organized correctly. so take the time and do it over the course of the game.[/QUOTE]
That's another thing I've always done in RPGs, is grind / farm at regular intervals to ensure I'm a high enough level to beat the main story line battles with enough ease. The nice thing about Xenoblade is that some of the quests give out XP, so I'm kinda hitting two birds with one stone (not to mention the achievement XP bonuses).

Which is why (off topic) FFXIII kind of let me down, as my first run I did level grind, and then I found out later I made the game harder for myself, not easier. Hence which lead to me checking out FAQs from that point onwards, though Xenoblade seems to have enough fail-safes to avoid those "without a paddle" moments so to speak.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']That's another thing I've always done in RPGs, is grind / farm at regular intervals to ensure I'm a high enough level to beat the main story line battles with enough ease.[/QUOTE]

I do this in every RPG that doesn't scale enemies. My goal is always the same: be able to obliterate any enemy I come across.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']That's another thing I've always done in RPGs, is grind / farm at regular intervals to ensure I'm a high enough level to beat the main story line battles with enough ease. The nice thing about Xenoblade is that some of the quests give out XP, so I'm kinda hitting two birds with one stone (not to mention the achievement XP bonuses).

Which is why (off topic) FFXIII kind of let me down, as my first run I did level grind, and then I found out later I made the game harder for myself, not easier. Hence which lead to me checking out FAQs from that point onwards, though Xenoblade seems to have enough fail-safes to avoid those "without a paddle" moments so to speak.[/QUOTE]

well thats sort of xenoblades problem you can coast through it just fine until the last 3 hours where the difficulty goes from easy to ultra hard for seemingly no apparent reason if you havent messed with item equips at which point the difficulty then remains the same.

yea xenoblades leveling system and overall fighting mechanics are fairly well done. sure its very much level based but it works. the only time i could see this being cheesy and easy is on a new game + but then again thats the point.

The demand for this game should show Nintendo how badly people want new Nintendo IP's. Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda are excellent and I don't want them going anywhere. But they are capable of so much additionally. I don't know why they so rarely bring out something new.

And when they DO bring out something new, they seem to instantly forget about it. They did Pikmin but then skipped an entire console generation, save for two remakes, in terms of releasing a third game. They brought out Chibi-Robo, made two nice games for it, then seem to have completely forgotten about it. They created Captain Rainbow and never brough it outside Japan. And of course we all know how the Wii RPG trio was handled.

And beyond what I just listed...I can't even think of another recently created Nintendo first or second party franchise, save for Fling Smash and the "Wii" series.

If Nintendo put as much creative effort into their other franchises, as well as creating new ones, as they already do for Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda, their consoles would be that much better.

I don't get why they hold off.

I wouldn't consider Xenoblade a million plus seller, the demand only came after the game started becoming hard to find and selling more than msrp. If that never happened I'm sure people would still be waiting for a price drop.

Nintendo was very close to releasing a near original IP in the form for Epic Yarn, though I heard they put Kirby in near the end of development to boost it's notoriety. The fact that they have Yarn Yoshi coming out means that the "Yarn X" series could be considered the only successful original IP to come out from that platform besides the "Wii" series.

Which is still pretty sad, but I also attribute the retro (in addition to the casual) focus of the Wii partly to blame. I don't think Wii U is going for that trend again (aside from HD remakes).

Seducing a girlfriend online with the aspire to of having lovemaking with her as in the into the precincts to be to put in an appearance as probably is prominent and achievable on the side of most guys. Unfortunately, diversified modus operandi the in amenable guided missile up smashed twitch of Internet seduction of women instead of the devoted bonking the agley way.

Man I hate their A/B buttons being reversed.

On a positive note, my repaired Wii doesn't get all that hot when playing this like it did before the repairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that CAG and CheapyD treat Nintendo platforms like a third world country, but still kind of sad not to see Xenoblade get an option to vote for Best Game Value 2012 (I thought I saw enough nominations for it...).

I'm about 25 hours into it so far, and I feel like I've only seen about 1/5 (if not 1/10) of the content.

Somewhat of an update for those that care, it seems like Xenoblade has hit a drop in its value recently (not sure why), complete copies are going for around $80-90 at the moment, could keep dropping for those that didn't want to bite on it at the $100-120 price point they were at.

About 40 hours into it now, slowly chugging along (when I'm not distracted with the quests), guessing around 1/3 of the way done.

[quote name='coolguythinking']I'm hoping Nintendo orders a reprint and I can buy this game for a reasonable price.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has abandoned the Wii.

Just reserved a used copy for store pickup at GameStop. Can't believe I found a local copy for $59.99. I do hope it has the original case...

[quote name='Blaster man']Nintendo has abandoned the Wii.[/QUOTE]
Seems like it. To be honest if I ever do play this game it's going to be once I get a PC powerful enough to emulate it. I won't be paying a ridiculous price for a game that cost $50 at launch.

[quote name='brianf408']Just reserved a used copy for store pickup at GameStop. Can't believe I found a local copy for $59.99. I do hope it has the original case...[/QUOTE]

Did it come complete?

[quote name='Drclaw411']Did it come complete?[/QUOTE]

It did! Box/case, manual, inserts, all original and in great shape. The GameStop employee seemed pissed about it, I guess his manager wouldn't let any of the employees purchase it.

Now I have some entertainment for the long weekend!

[quote name='coolguythinking']Seems like it. To be honest if I ever do play this game it's going to be once I get a PC powerful enough to emulate it. I won't be paying a ridiculous price for a game that cost $50 at launch.[/QUOTE]

kudos justifying stealing

I find it really odd that demand for the game has risen now that GS no longer carries it. It didnt fly off the shelves at launch. Why does everyone want to play it a year later?

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I find it really odd that demand for the game has risen now that GS no longer carries it. It didnt fly off the shelves at launch. Why does everyone want to play it a year later?[/QUOTE]

i think people were under some false illusion that this game was not going to become rare and was going to somehow become 10 dollars at some point despite all the signs were there that this was not going to happen.

now people for some reason think this will get an HD remake on the Wii U.

while this game deserves better than it got the facts are nintendo barely cares and the all evil satanic corporation gamestop is the one that footed the bill.

as for me. i bought two copies. one i played and enjoyed aside from the terrible story ending. and the other that i sold on ebay for 130 dollars a few months ago.

Wow, none within 100 miles of me at GS. I picked one up used to play about a year ago when I noticed it wasn't quite so common any more. It was only $40 or so and I got it as part of a B2G1. They also still had new copies for sale then.

I could never part with that copy - but I wish I had noticed the signs you speak of and gotten a sealed one when I had the chance. It did skyrocket pretty fast there as it definitely wasn't a hot item just a year ago. Looks like maybe last Fall it shot up?

[quote name='kayne2000']i think people were under some false illusion that this game was not going to become rare and was going to somehow become 10 dollars at some point despite all the signs were there that this was not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

Like me! This game was on the periphery of my radar, so I didn't know it was a Nintendo/GS exclusive. I figured there would be some point it could be had for $15 or less which is my usual game purchase price. I didn't catch wind of its rarity until this thread was in the main deals forum and by then it was too late. Oh well.

[quote name='Blaster man']Nintendo has abandoned the Wii.[/QUOTE]

With all WiiUs being backwards compatible, a reprint isn't too far fetched. Maybe they'll do a New Play Control to pair with the sequel.

Crap, I didn't even realize the resale value for this title had spiked so strongly. Now I'm doubly glad that I picked it up when it was first available for $50. My copy is brand new and hardly touched. Just one of the benefits of having a job and disposable income. (and being single, I suppose)

I just picked up a copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia: Victory yesterday for $50 for the same reason. The copies of the first game's collectors edition skyrocketed, and the copy I acquired for $60 is now worth twice that much. The highly obscure Japanese titles that don't get much press are a good choice for picking up for full price. (if just to hedge against ridiculous used prices)

I don't think this game hit a mass hysteria purchase point until about Jan-Feb of this year (coinciding with this thread creation, hrmm). I remember because in December I bought a used copy when GS was doing the Buy 6 games, get 30% off everything deal, which I ended up getting five cheap games and Xenoblade, which came out to about $32 for it.

I knew they were common enough then because I remember finding a mint copy at another GS and performing the switch, and even seeing a few "new" copies on the shelves as well.

People were just waiting for a lower price point, and it never dropped below $45 used. The good news is that (barring some magical reprint or HD rerelease) even if you plunk down $90+ on Ebay, at least you can get most of your money back with its steady resale value after you're done with it.

[quote name='theflicker']With all WiiUs being backwards compatible, a reprint isn't too far fetched. Maybe they'll do a New Play Control to pair with the sequel.[/QUOTE]

it would be nice but the way nintendo treated this is a tragedy of the gaming world. This game should of sold so much more and should not be rare. this was easily THE rpg of last gen(or current gen??).

i sadly dont see a reprint or redo in HD as much as that would make me need new underwear. that said at least nintendo seems to kind of care now what with that mysterious game X that looks similar to xenoblade.

i admit i followed this game kind of close so maybe thats why i saw this thing being rare and valuable. but still didnt take a lot of following to pick up on that.

[quote name='kayne2000']it would be nice but the way nintendo treated this is a tragedy of the gaming world. This game should of sold so much more and should not be rare. this was easily THE rpg of last gen(or current gen??).

i sadly dont see a reprint or redo in HD as much as that would make me need new underwear. that said at least nintendo seems to kind of care now what with that mysterious game X that looks similar to xenoblade.

i admit i followed this game kind of close so maybe thats why i saw this thing being rare and valuable. but still didnt take a lot of following to pick up on that.[/QUOTE]

Given that they're finally giving Earthbound another chance, I'd say they might give Xenoblade a reprint or re-release at some point, probably around Xenoblade 2.

But since the Wii U's lackluster performance thus far, which will probably get worse when the X1 and PS4 come out, they might become even more risk adverse.

bread's done
Back