Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z PS3/360 $9.99 @ Gamestop (Price Drop)

Thanks OP. Picked up a special edition copy for PS3 today. Looked up some gameplay and I like the art style. For $10 can't be but so disappointed.

fuck it, I'll try it for $10. This series hasn't been good since the NES days though.
Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the greatest action games ever created

Ninja_Gaiden_Black_Desktop_by_Ninja_Gaiden.jpg

Even on easy?
I didn't play on easy. On normal, the first two hours of the game were actually very enjoyable if you look past the nonsense story. Nice graphics, responsive controls, seemingly interesting combos, a character upgrade screen and a variety of enemy types. There is one point where the difficulty gets out of hand, I don't want to spoil the story so I won't say where. At that point I wanted to switch to easy, something that I have only done once before in my gaming career (last time being playing L4D2 in 2 player split screen), but cannot. So I powered through on Normal, and the final boss is impossible with a guide.

fuck it, I'll try it for $10. This series hasn't been good since the NES days though.

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the greatest action games ever created

Ninja_Gaiden_Black_Desktop_by_Ninja_Gaiden.jpg

Only thing I liked about Black was unlocking the original arcade version of NG.
As great as the NES versions were, you will not be seeing a new release of 2D platforming Ninja Gaiden anymore. For modern days, NGB was/is still the greatest 3D hack n slash game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Momentarily thought about getting this and then saw the wretchedly bad ending (couldn't help it because one f my friends said this game has the worst ending in recent videogame memory).  He's right, by the way. 

There was a time when I would buy even this garbage, but I'm passed that now - thanks OP, but I'll pass.

"My wife has the digital but now I'm getting the physical.
Sounds like part of a really bad ICP or Eminem tune.

Damn guys the more I see this thread the more I want to pull the trigger on this game.

I mean, it is Ninja Gaiden and if nothing else my son or bro in law would like it (both are zombie freaks).

I feel I might be one of the few gamers on the face of the Earth not playing Destiny.
Nah, you're not the only one to hate the F out of generic boring western FPS pewpew drivel. Why must nearly every game these days be a boring generic PAAGG? (Play As A Gun Game)

I picked it up today. Got a used copy for $3 after a 5 off pre-owned coupon. Had all the limited edition content too, even the code for costumes was unused

Nah, you're not the only one to hate the F out of generic boring western FPS pewpew drivel. Why must nearly every game these days be a boring generic PAAGG? (Play As A Gun Game)
So true, but that's what the majority want these days/years so we have a market with 70% shooters and 30% all other genres combined. It's okay for me because I buy games within that 30% group so I'm not really buying too many games. If I'm a fan of that 70% group, my wallet would cry.

So true, but that's what the majority want these days/years so we have a market with 70% shooters and 30% all other genres combined. It's okay for me because I buy games within that 30% group so I'm not really buying too many games. If I'm a fan of that 70% group, my wallet would cry.
I suppose that is a good way to look at it. During the PS3 gen there may have been a few years where I didn't buy anything, since I'm very picky and only like good games, unlike most people.

I've been wrestling with myself on whether I should buy this or not. I've heard that even on easy the bosses can kill you in 2-3 hits. And there are some insane difficulty spikes. But not difficult in the sense of skill, but difficult in the sense of the enemies being cheap.

Is this game really that bad? It just looks like a simple brawler with an intentionally bad story and cutscenes. Is it not intentional and silly?
I think it is that bad. This is not like one of those games critics derail but it's actually good (i.e. God Hand); I'd rather drop $10 on Neverdead, and that's saying something.

I've been wrestling with myself on whether I should buy this or not. I've heard that even on easy the bosses can kill you in 2-3 hits. And there are some insane difficulty spikes. But not difficult in the sense of skill, but difficult in the sense of the enemies being cheap.
Don't know what you mean by skill, but in my experience as long as you have super reflexes (which I don't), parry can be pretty useful. I took the more difficult route of learning attack patterns and finding small openings.

I think it is that bad. This is not like one of those games critics derail but it's actually good (i.e. God Hand); I'd rather drop $10 on Neverdead, and that's saying something.
Have to disagree with romeogbs19. Yaiba had some cool concepts and responsive controls, I think it is enjoyable as long as you can deal with the difficulty. I suck at video games and beat it on normal; there are two major hurdles, one mini boss and the final boss. Neverdead on the other hand, tortured me every minute when I played it at my friend's house.

I love all the people who think it makes them "cool" or "different" for hating on Destiny. You're basically video game hipsters and its pretty fucking hilarious. The game isnt perfect (no game is) but as a coop centered mmo-esque first person shooter its pretty great. Id imagine most people hating on it havent played for very long, or have only played solo, or are trying to join some "cool kid club" of people who only like arthouse shit and non mainstream games

I added it to cart, was about to complete order.... just couldn't do it. This game looks so bad. Even for $10. I'd rather spend that on a pizza or something.
I totally agree. I was interested in the game, then watched some videos of it in action on Youtube. The graphics are godawful, horrible comic book style which, to me, is completely out of place for a Ninja Gaiden game. I don't think I would even get this for $5, but who knows.

I love all the people who think it makes them "cool" or "different" for hating on Destiny. You're basically video game hipsters and its pretty fucking hilarious. The game isnt perfect (no game is) but as a coop centered mmo-esque first person shooter its pretty great. Id imagine most people hating on it havent played for very long, or have only played solo, or are trying to join some "cool kid club" of people who only like arthouse shit and non mainstream games
It's called subjective. There's no one size fits all game or anything for that matters. If someone don't like Destiny, that's that. Has nothing to do with wanting to be different.

It's called subjective. There's no one size fits all game or anything for that matters. If someone don't like Destiny, that's that. Has nothing to do with wanting to be different.
I hate it because others like it (i.e. I want to be different).

What makes you think they think it makes them cool or different? Maybe some people just don't like the game.

I personally don't find the Call of Duty series all that good or entertaining and I stopped buying it. I never cared about being different, I just don't like it.

I always get a kick out of people using the word "hating" in the same sentence with a video game. Talk about being anal. You can't "hate" on inanimate objects. You either like or dislike them. That's it. You hate on people.

Not true at all. I'd wager many of the games critics haven't even played the fuckin thing yet and just don't like to see "pew pew" games succeed.

Not saying all the criticisms lobbied at it aren't warranted, but to dismiss the notion that everyone who doesn't like it HAS played it is laughable.

By hating I didnt mean disliking the game, theres a shitton of games I dislike, but dont feel compelled to bash them. I meant coming onto message boards for a deal on a completely different game just to talk shit about it

Thanks OP!  Actually not a beat-em-up fan, and Ninja Gaiden hasn't really been on my radar since the NES days (did play one of the Sigma games a bit on vita...but I didn't even know this game existed until this thread.)...  But I love Lollipop Chainsaw and goofy zombie spinoffs, and something about the silly cutscenes I saw on youtube and the style of the game sort of sucked me in, so I grabbed the ps3 special edition while I was out.

I actually played the game this weekend and didn't hate it. I couldn't figure out why a lone ninja was dispatched to fight an entire horde of zombies, and the little comic book didn't help to fill in the gaps.

I'm on the final boss on easy, and I haven't run across anything yet that could kill me in 2-3 hits. It's pretty challenging, and I've died a fair number of times on some tough spots...but I haven't struggled too much with easy difficulty (and I'm not great at hack-and-slash/beat-em-ups). The final boss is proving to be a pain...but more because of a lack of checkpoints than anything.

Actually digging the game quite a bit. Even the platforming/puzzle elements were more interesting/fun than I expected.

bread's done
Back