yakuza 2 $9.99 new at best buy YMMV

LordFungus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Was at best buy in Williston, VT and found yakuza 2 for 9.99 new

The store had about 5 copies left.

I do not see the deal online..only store.

Thought some people might be interested with part 3 just comming out

I've never played Yakuza but I keep hearing it's a really good game. If I can find a copy for this cheap, I may just have to pick it up.

checked out my local best buy (union city, CA)... they didnt carry any yakuza's except yakuza 3 for ps3.

I would think playing Yakuza 3 is like playing MGS4 without playing the first 3. You'll be missing out on a lot of story and character development.. not to mention a lot of story.
Sure the new games might have a recap sections to keep you up to date, but it's not the same as seeing it as it happens.

I played Yakuza 1 and 2. I loved the first. 2nd was good but first one was better.
I haven't played 3.

I wish you luck finding it as I recommend playing the first 2 games first for the best enjoyment. If you can't find it and have an old PS2 around, you could probably find 'different' means of playing the game.

Try ebay?

[quote name='saru763']I would think playing Yakuza 3 is like playing MGS4 without playing the first 3. You'll be missing out on a lot of story and character development.. not to mention a lot of story.
Sure the new games might have a recap sections to keep you up to date, but it's not the same as seeing it as it happens.

I played Yakuza 1 and 2. I loved the first. 2nd was good but first one was better.
I haven't played 3.

I wish you luck finding it as I recommend playing the first 2 games first for the best enjoyment. If you can't find it and have an old PS2 around, you could probably find 'different' means of playing the game.

Try ebay?[/QUOTE]

You do not need to play Yakuza 1 and 2 to play 3. Yakuza 3 seems to have all the cut scenes from 1 and 2 in it. You can play them as soon as you boot up the game. It pretty much summed up what was going on in the first 2. I never finished 1 and never played 2.

Yakuza 3 is a very fun game despite the cuts in the NA version. There seemed to be plenty of character development in 3 in my opinion.

Well I did say the new game has recap vids to keep you up to date, but it's not the same as seeing it as it happens when you play.

There was also a recap part in Yakuza 2.. where you can view story summary of the 1st game, but it leaves out some little parts like side missions that adds more depth to the character. Does the recap talk about Date's daughter or Kage's son? I'm just saying it's recommended to play the first 2, not necessary.

I personally love the little side stories, but if you can do without them and knowing just the general plot is fine for you, then it's not a big loss.

[quote name='saru763']I would think playing Yakuza 3 is like playing MGS4 without playing the first 3.[/QUOTE]
But unlike MGS4, you won't get very far with Yakuza 3 if the controller's time is mostly spent outside of your hands. :lol:

Seriously though, the Yakuza series is basically everything Shenmue should have been. Love Shenmue and Shenmue II, but Yakuza really feels like it was what Sega had been originally aiming for in the sense of story-telling and gameplay.

Funny thing is that both series' have a sequel that includes something to fill in newcomers on the previous game/s (in Shenmue's case, Shenmue II in the US came with "Shenmue the Movie" on DVD, which contained a good chunk of cutscenes and footage from the previous game on the main portions of the story).

[quote name='RollingSkull']Don't bother calling in. The rep will just check their website listing and then since they can't find it, tell you they don't have it.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. I called them gave them the sku # and they still acted as if BB no longer carried the game.

That locator says that ALL the Best Buy's in the area has Yakuza 2, even the one I called that said they didn't, and I don't recall seeing any when I was up there some time ago.

EDIT: No dice, checked my local Best Buy and even said "hell, why not" and went to the Target right across the street. Not only no Yakuza 2, but no good deals period on anything at either.

Last edited by a moderator:
No... nooo... NOOOOOO! fuck! GameStop had Yakuza 2 in stock and I would have gotten it for $13 after coupon codes, but I wasn't done with my order so I browsed GameStop for another hour. I go back to my cart and it tells me Yakuza 2 is no longer available for order. Sure enough, it no longer shows up in search. Damn, someone snatched them up!

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get this game.

[quote name='Buuhan1']No... nooo... NOOOOOO! fuck! GameStop had Yakuza 2 in stock and I would have gotten it for $13 after coupon codes, but I wasn't done with my order so I browsed GameStop for another hour. I go back to my cart and it tells me Yakuza 2 is no longer available for order. Sure enough, it no longer shows up in search. Damn, someone snatched them up!

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get this game.[/QUOTE]
Don't bother with Gamestop's website. I ordered one from them this week and it was busted.

Well, hopefully that's not the case for me as I was just tipped off they just got more copies in stock. Sadly tho I had already made the order it was originally on so I had to order it separate. As such, I got stuck with $3 shipping. SAVER doesn't seem to work anymore. $18 shipped. Hopefully it's worth it.

[quote name='NipPicker']wow i went to 4 best buy and found them far north from me.. sorry but i took all 4 copies[/QUOTE]

Why are people buying multiple copies of this game? I sure hope that's to give copies to your friends. It's not like Y2 fetches a hefty premium or anything on eBay -- it's not a high-demand game; it's a niche title that caters to a niche base.

I don't understand people buying more than 1 of these. I bought mine a long time ago off Amazon (got it for free) -- I'd hope more people can try it out ...

I'd also like to get this, it was long gone at my BB - I'm willing to buy or trade for it. Send me a PM if you have an extra copy, thanks!

[quote name='Buuhan1']Well, hopefully that's not the case for me as I was just tipped off they just got more copies in stock. Sadly tho I had already made the order it was originally on so I had to order it separate. As such, I got stuck with $3 shipping. SAVER doesn't seem to work anymore. $18 shipped. Hopefully it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

SAVER is for over $25 I believe. I used CAG16 to save some money though.

After being unable to return the game at the store even though Gamestop claims otherwise (incompetent employees at B&M?), I called their online store customer service to complain (Why did you sell me a defective game when the top of the disc was clearly scratched? Why wasn't I able to return this at B&M? Why doesn't it state anywhere on the website whether or not I have to cover return shipping?). The guy said they are sending me a replacement copy and they said it should be here early next week. If I don't get it by next Friday there is going to be hell to pay. It's not the money or that game anymore, it's the piss-poor business practices at every turn that are pissing me off. Never buying from GS again after this experience.

I have a sealed copy for sale only most likely. CML.
No apologies for my asking price cause I was not fortunate enough to get it for $10.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Why are people buying multiple copies of this game? I sure hope that's to give copies to your friends. It's not like Y2 fetches a hefty premium or anything on eBay -- it's not a high-demand game; it's a niche title that caters to a niche base.

I don't understand people buying more than 1 of these. I bought mine a long time ago off Amazon (got it for free) -- I'd hope more people can try it out ...[/QUOTE]
I assume hes trying to turn some kind of profit on them, either that or he likes buying stuff.

^^^^^ responding to the above ... i bought 4 because i kept 2 for myself and sold the other 2 on ebay.. each went for $35 shipped. i like to keep one game sealed and one for play. that way i get my game for free and make a little gas money ...

Sincerely from your
SUPER CAG

[quote name='NipPicker']^^^^^ responding to the above ... i bought 4 because i kept 2 for myself and sold the other 2 on ebay.. each went for $35 shipped. i like to keep one game sealed and one for play. that way i get my game for free and make a little gas money ...

Sincerely from your
SUPER CAG[/QUOTE]

That's cool. Certainly a good way of funding your game purchases :) I've done that, too. I have two copies of Tales of Symphonia 2 for Wii (bought each one for $7.50 during the black Friday weekend). Never unloaded the other copy. I also have an extra sealed copy of Valkyrie Profile 2 for PS2 -- got that for $5 during a TRU clearance.

I have 40 sealed games -- can't even remember them all anymore. One of my treasures is the Japanese DC edition of Space Channel 5 Part 2, with the limited Ulala clock. That game is so awesome and the DC version is so much prettier than the ugly port to the PS2 (which I also have, of course).

Can anyone who bought extras (either at Best Buy or just in the last few days from GameStop) sell me one? My used copy I got for $15 from GameStop.com came and... it was a dud, it refused to play no matter what I did to it. GS says they have no more copies and that they'll (eventually) refund my money back into my account.

I want this game, I'd hate to beat Yakuza 1 and jump straight into 3.

bread's done
Back