Yakuza 3 comes West, Right now!

[quote name='mykevermin']I kinda wish they didn't bother with American voice actors. They way overspent on the first one with "star power" (that nobody noticed). This adds substantially to the cost to release it in the US, and therefore the threshold of sales needed to make it a "success" greater.

They're taking a bigger risk, in short, which raises concerns that we'll never see Ryu Ga Gotoku 4 in the US if 3 bombs - and I know we'll never see Kenzan, but it would be nice to think it possible.

Hey, if they're willing to listen to their fanbase, maybe it's time for people to vocalize their desire to see a conclusion to the Shenmue series. ;)[/QUOTE]
Yu Suzuki doesn't even work for Sega anymore and he's the only one who really gave a shit about the series after it bombed in sales.

[quote name='mykevermin']I kinda wish they didn't bother with American voice actors. They way overspent on the first one with "star power" (that nobody noticed). This adds substantially to the cost to release it in the US, and therefore the threshold of sales needed to make it a "success" greater.

They're taking a bigger risk, in short, which raises concerns that we'll never see Ryu Ga Gotoku 4 in the US if 3 bombs - and I know we'll never see Kenzan, but it would be nice to think it possible.

[/QUOTE]

Good point. I hope the risk pays off. The last 2 games haven't sold too hotly have they?

[quote name='Blackout']Good point. I hope the risk pays off. The last 2 games haven't sold too hotly have they?[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that they're releasing it in March of all months. I know it has its own following, and I really enjoyed the first two, but how can anyone expect this game to do amazingly well in the same month as Final Fantasy XIII and God of War III?

I had an old order on Amazon with an ECA code, not to mention some leftover credit, so I'll be grabbing it, but their timing is just silly.

Yakuza 1's voice acting was superb, I think yakuza 3 has a better chance then the first one did because ps3 owners are more open because of the smaller library of games. I will wait to buy this with ff13 and bayonetta in a b2g1 free.

Even though Yakuza does probably have a limited audience, the release of the first two came during the life of the PS3 where it would just be lost in the shuffle as a last gen game.

You know what makes me laugh? Sega did this intentionally just to troll its fans. I have never seen such trolls from a company. I mean how can Sega NOT be doing all this intentionally? I swear they have meetings about this shit trying to see who can out do the other when it comes to trolling their good games. It's like

CEO: HAY. Lets not release Yakuza 3 in the US
Guy: TOO EASY. Lets Release it.
CEO: How is that trolling?
Guy: Lets release it in March with God of War and Final Fantasy
CEO: I like that. How about we complain when it doesn't sell and deny the US Yakuza 4?
Guy: Wait I can do one better. I can waste money hiring voiceactors.
CEO: GENIUS! How about we hire horrible actors again and ruin any chance of making profit!
Guy: Wait. Lets put Lan Di in this game!
CEO: BRILLIANT! Lets put Ryo in some kart racing game too!
Guy: How about another Shining Force game?
CEO: Hmmm. Shining Force with Strategy RPG elements?
Guy: NO. Shining Force with ACTION ELEMENTS!
CEO: That's going a bit too far. Lets call it Shining Wind
Guy: Hmmm. Lets add another friend to the Sonic games. How about a five year old with an annoyingly high pitched grating voice? Lets call him chip.
CEO: Wait. Lets turn Sonic into a Werehog
Guy: NOW YOU"RE THINKING! SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T!

The 1up podcast was wrong:
http://seganerds.thekartel.com/blog/2010/01/04/update_yakuza_3_to_not_have_english_actors_afterall

[Update] Just a little while ago we were actually contacted by ArchangelUK (of SEGA Europe's Community Team) who had this to say;

"I can confirm that PushSquare contacted us and we responded as mentioned. Also Happy New Year :p"

So there you have it. Looks like Yakuza 3 will only feature Japanese voices, which I'm very happy about. Just as long as we do get a Western version, they could be speaking Klingon for all I care; I just want to beat up Japanese gangstas... or should that be gangsters? [/Update]

Thats a relief. I was worried they were spending so much on a release that will likely be overshadowed in March.

I love Yakuza. I bought Yakuza 2 on day one in hopes of 3 coming stateside. I think I, like many of the other fans, wont mind the absence of English voices if it means Sega can get a bit more profit and potentially release more niche titles here in the US.

YES! I would probably not have bought this first day if they had put in English voiceovers. American films are in English, foreign films are in their native languages with English subtitles; this is how it should be with games. If they were going to add English voiceovers they might as well have changed the game's title to Japanese Gangster 3.

140945e.jpg

This appeared on Gamefly's site. Not sure if its final.

I think that box art now, conclusively, proves that Sega's company mission is to troll its loyal fans, not to actually make games and make money. They changed to this mission when the Dreamcast was dying.

[quote name='Cao Cao']
140945e.jpg

This appeared on Gamefly's site. Not sure if its final.[/QUOTE]

Hah. You call that trolling? Here, let me show you how its done.

ip0ftx.png

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I think that box art now, conclusively, proves that Sega's company mission is to troll its loyal fans, not to actually make games and make money. They changed to this mission when the Dreamcast was dying.[/QUOTE]
If they really wanted to troll us, Yakuza 2 & 3 would have never been translated at all.

[quote name='pete5883']If they really wanted to troll us, Yakuza 2 & 3 would have never been translated at all.[/QUOTE]

God you are so new. That would have made actual business sense since the first didn't sell. The trolling is in the fact that despite being failures they keep releasing them and saying they won't simply to anger fans.

[quote name='Paco']God you are so new. That would have made actual business sense since the first didn't sell. The trolling is in the fact that despite being failures they keep releasing them and saying they won't simply to anger fans.[/QUOTE]
They never say they won't though. If anything they say that there are "no plans," which is PR speak for "we haven't decided/we aren't ready to announce yet." And going against actual business sense to release quality games is the opposite of trolling your fans.

[quote name='pete5883']They never say they won't though. If anything they say that there are "no plans," which is PR speak for "we haven't decided/we aren't ready to announce yet." And going against actual business sense to release quality games is the opposite of trolling your fans.[/QUOTE]

You don't get it. They are professional trolls. They troll even more than regular trolls by once in a blue moon actually releasing an awesome game. This confuses fans and makes them think that Sega is once again a quality company. Then they release a bunch of shit, fans get pissed off, and the cycle starts all over again.

Are the stories of the Yakuza game's tied to one another? I'm playing the first now and I'm surprised by how good the story is.

I'm planning on going on to the second one after this... hopefully the camera issues are fixed in the second game.

[quote name='pete5883']They never say they won't though. If anything they say that there are "no plans," which is PR speak for "we haven't decided/we aren't ready to announce yet." And going against actual business sense to release quality games is the opposite of trolling your fans.[/QUOTE]

You honestly don't believe Sega is in this industry just to troll? How can you be so blind? Their whole philosophy on gaming is ONE big TROLL after another. I'm dead serious. They make so many shitty games, but the fun of Sega is that every once in a while they will make one fuckING FANTASTIC game and it will come out of nowhere that will confound and confuse the market. It's like Sega will go Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution. LOLZ SONIC RIDERS. HAHAHAHA SONIC HEROES. ROFFLE HAVE SOME HULK. WAT VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 LOL IRON MAN. LOL SONIC @ OLYMPICS. LOL SONIC 2006. LOL WUT VALKYRIA CHRONICLES. ROFFLEWAFFLES SONIC UNLEASHED.

You never know what to expect from Sega due to the fact that they release so much shit, yet entirely for trolling purposes makes a fucking FANTASTIC game every once in a while. The Skies of Arcadia Team made Valkyria Chronicles. What are they doing now? Sega hides them for the LULZ never to be heard from again. Or how about adding Ryo in that Sonic Kart racing game? That's not shenanigans? Hah. Or how about the fact that whenever Sega is asked about something they will very specifically say NO like Seaman for the US. But when asked about Shenmue 3, they NEVER specifically say NO. Which is essentially a decade long troll. They're trying to make Shenmue 3 the biggest troll in the industry, topping even George Broussard and Duke Nukem Forever. You still honestly think Sega isn't in it for the prestegious title of GRAND MASTER TROLL of the ANYTHING GOES DOJO?

[quote name='equest943']The game looks promising. That box art though....gees...could they have put less effort into it?[/QUOTE]

I agree, the box art on the first two was nice and subtle. I didnt love the JP box art, but I think its better than the NA version.

Just noticed Gamestop's pre-order bonus, I wonder if the pre-order bonus will be available to everyone as download content in the future?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Just noticed Gamestop's pre-order bonus, I wonder if the pre-order bonus will be available to everyone as download content in the future?[/QUOTE]
Preorder bonus?

Reserve Yakuza 3 and get the GameStop Exclusive Challenge Pack. Challenge your friends in 2-player mini-games including pool, darts, bowling , or take in a round of golf! This special pre-sell offer also includes a selection of four different outfits for Haruka, Kazuma and Rikiya to wear.

Completed game save file required to access outfits. Available online and in-store while supplies last.

Oh what the hell is this.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Just noticed Gamestop's pre-order bonus, I wonder if the pre-order bonus will be available to everyone as download content in the future?[/QUOTE]

You might check the Japanese PSN for an indication. Since the game has been out there for so long, I imagine any DLC additions would show up.

GS has now dropped it by an extra $5. I hope Amazon matches.

Still, I'm sticking to Amazon as I have credit there.
I'll buy a copy from GS and return it later.

This DLC pack was free in Japan after the game launched.

use code GME20 on gamestop.com for $5.00 off anything $49.99 or over and free ground shipping. brought my order down to 49.99 but tax bumped it back up to $54.11 code expires 1/22/10 at 11:59 am I've never pre ordered from gamestop.com so hopefully they don't take the coupon off my order once it expires tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just happy that I can play Yakuza 3 in English. I loved the first game, and I just bought the second game off of Amazon for $19, so I can be caught up before the third game is released.

Exclusive DLC makes me both angry and sad. I'm saving too much money via Amazon to justify paying so much more for a few mini-games. Same goes for SMT: Strange Journey and the 'mini-poster'. I get to play the game at least; I suppose I should be happy for that. I guess 3/9 is the official day? I see it listed on both Amazon and GS. March should be a fun month with that, GoWIII, FFXIII, and SMT: Strange Journey.

[quote name='Nirron']Exclusive DLC makes me both angry and sad. I'm saving too much money via Amazon to justify paying so much more for a few mini-games. Same goes for SMT: Strange Journey and the 'mini-poster'. I get to play the game at least; I suppose I should be happy for that. I guess 3/9 is the official day? I see it listed on both Amazon and GS. March should be a fun month with that, GoWIII, FFXIII, and SMT: Strange Journey.[/QUOTE]

well if it helps, i'm thinking the gamestop dlc is gonna be a timed exclusive thing. they did that with some of the dlc for naruto ultimate ninja storm.

I'm sure the yakuza dlc will appear on the psn eventually. most likely it'll be free.

What in the hell!
Announced for...... New Zealand.

Yakuza 3 Premium Edition includes:
  • Battle for Survival (Survival Tag) DLC
  • All-Star Tournament (7 character tournament) DLC
  • All-Star Tag Tournament (8 team tournament) DLC
  • Haruka’s Request DLC
  • 31 Track soundtrack
  • Yakuza Family tree – digital
  • 4 Gameplay Trailers
  • 3 x Development Diaries - Toshihiro Nagoshi

[quote name='dallow']What in the hell!
Announced for...... New Zealand.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? I would definitely buy that if it was released in North America.

[quote name='dallow']What in the hell!
Announced for...... New Zealand.[/QUOTE]

i hope sega announces this for the US!!!!

SEGA I WILL BUY THIS IF YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far, all these DLC packs were released in Japan over a few weeks for free.
I'm hoping that will be the case for these, and these special packs just make them available sooner.

bread's done
Back