Yakuza 3 comes West, Right now!

Man, Kazuma looks scary as hell in the new game... not just mean, but scary.

Do we get to fight tigers in this one? That was a pretty fun fight...

Man, I want this game, but they have to bring it out on the same day as FF13, and in the same month as God of War 3. I just can't spend all my money on video games :(
I want to buy it too because I'm sure it will add weight to the decision to bring sequels to the USA... Man, what a tough decision. Even if I do buy it, it's just going to sit on my shelf while I play through FF13 and then God of War 3. Then, as soon as I get done w/both of those, 3D Dot Game Heroes will be out, followed by ModNation Racers.

I heard ff13 was pretty crappy I mean first off there are NO TOWNS, I saw the last boss if your deciding between the 2 look at the final boss in ff13 and that somes it up...Boring(you would think it would be epic too).

I think I'll wait till ff drops. Now Yakuza 3 is a must buy, this game will be hard to get because Sega is gadging if people will buy it or not so there will be a short run of copies plus the dlc will be sure to go quickly. Watch this action heat video and you will be sold on yakuza 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQD4LMErqI

Yeah, I'll probably end up getting it anyway. My wife is going to kill me. I've had FF pre-ordered for over a year now, and I really want to play it--even though it probably isn't as good as all the hype.

I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of game this is. It looks a lot like a Japanese GTA, but with a real story, and not so morbid. Also, it looks like it is a 1x1 fighting game and has a bunch of minigames... am I missing anything? It's an open world game right?

I watched all the videos on Gametrailers.com... that's why I'm having such a hard time not pre-ordering this.

Rather than make my own topic I figured I'd ask here; what am I missing?

I've had Yakuza 1 and 2 in my backlog for awhile now, and in anticipation of the third one, I finally started playing one, and I'm not seeing what everyone is raving about. I bought it because the idea of playing as a Yakuza member sounded cool, and I had heard a lot of Shenmue comparisons (Shenmue-esque, or the "next Shenmue"), but I really don't get that at all from playing this.

Granted, I only got about an hour or an hour and a half into the first one, but all I've seen so far is a bunch of hard to remember names being thrown at me and some shit story about a girl and the guy Kazuma told to look after her. The English dub is really bad, and the dialogue is pretty corny, though not in a good way. The fighting seems pretty mediocre, and most of the speaking in the game isn't even voice-acted, it's fucking text.

I really want to like this game, but all I've gotten so far is a craving to sell it and go buy a copy of Shenmue again.

Game is definitely not Shenmue. Yeah, people who were tricked into thinking they were getting Shenmue, or a "japanese" Grand Theft Auto were disappointed.

Game is just "cool".
Main character starts to grow, especially in the sequel.
Semi-open world, tons of side missions, lots of mini-games, crazy story, combat that gets better as you 'level up'.

The sequel, part 2, fixes a lot of stuff and way superior to the first by smoothing out a lot of the rough edges the first had.

Took me a couple hours to get into Yakuza 1 and then I was hooked, if you're not feeling it, try the sequel (it recaps the first game in the beginning). If not, well, may not be your cup of tea.

[quote name='dallow']Well Europe gets the demo today. Maybe US too?

Either way, easy to get.[/QUOTE]

Ha... that's nice. I actually had to make a EU account for the Heavy Rain demo. What time does the EU PSN update?

I love the demo, fighting seems a little stiff, but it is fun. After I got the call from Rina, I went around exploring to find the Karaoke store. Once there, the song you have to sing is so BS on hard compared to hers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to play the demo again. The Karaoke bar just turned me off on the game. Just too over the top for my personal liking. I am afraid the rest of the game is going to be the same.

What a very strange game... some of it feels a bit dated. Fun overall. I may play it down the line, but have too much on my pile at the moment. I couldn't find the karaoke bar... I cut down an alley to end the demo.

IMO the demo was almost somewhat terrible . I would really enjoy a game where they actually spoke so I didnt have to read the subtitles on the screen at all time . But keep in mind thats only my IMO . it was actually in my goldbox for 52.XX but sadly after playing the demo I just had to CANCEL it immediately lol

There are people seriously not buying it because it forces you to read subtitles?

This is a really, really fucking lazy country.

I've updated the OP/title to reflect some things. I haven't checked out the demo yet, but it's ready to go.

Amazon lists the release date as March 9th, 2010. One question comes to mind. WHAT THE HELL IS SEGA THINKING!?

[quote name='Scorch']There are people seriously not buying it because it forces you to read subtitles?

This is a really, really fucking lazy country.[/QUOTE]

When they show trailers for a foreign film, there is a reason they never show them talking and just try to narrate the trailer epically... :lol:

I wish there was more spoken dialog for sure. I don't mind reading the subtitles for the Japanese.

I'm guessing that Sega knows they're catering to a target audience and those that want it will get it regardless of what day it drops on. This is definitely not a game for everyone.

//edit: There's a difference in the subtitles debate.. if you wish there were more voiceovers but subtitles are fine, that's cool, I'm in that boat too. I don't mind subtitles, but I don't prefer them. There's some people out there that are just flat out not buying it because it forces you to read subtitles, and those are the people that are fucking lazy.

But whatever, game is awesome, will buy it. I hope TRU does a gift card on Battlefield. I'd like to use my $30 GC on Battlefield and get some sort of GC with Battlefield that I can use on Yakuza 3.

Played the demo, and I don't really know how I feel about it. It's certainly not bad, but it didn't blow me away, though I know how the beginning of games that rely on powering up tend to go. I enjoyed the first game, and this one obviously plays a hell of a lot like that. I haven't really been following the game. Is there some kind of list or maybe article(s) that talk about what was added in 3 that's unique to the series?

I may hold off getting it initially since a.) there are like 5 games between now and the end of March I want to play, and 2.) I still need to start and beat Yakuza 2. Sega just picked the stupidest possible time to release this, though I definitely want to grab it down the road. I already canceled Fragile and some other games for which I was on the fence, and this one is teetering on said fence at the moment.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm guessing that Sega knows they're catering to a target audience and those that want it will get it regardless of what day it drops on. This is definitely not a game for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Guess so, because I know I'll be buying it day one regardless of that other game coming out that day (even though I'm getting that too)

[quote name='KingBroly']Amazon lists the release date as March 9th, 2010. One question comes to mind. WHAT THE HELL IS SEGA THINKING!?[/QUOTE]
"Let's see, what's the worst day we could release this?"

Is there any benefit to me playing through the demo? Any kind of bonus like being able to keep the exp or start the game where the demo leaves off?

Im in the middle of the second one after completing the first one last year. This series is excellent and this game is a day 1 pickup for me.

Not sure if I'm going to try the demo or not after hearing the awful reviews but I'm sure the game is going to be very good.

I liked it. It's definitely different compared to other games coming out or had came out. I like variety in my games, and this fits well into my collection. I'm just gonna hold off on getting it for at least another 2 months. With Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII, and God of War 3 all releasing within a small time frame, I have a busy gaming schedule ahead of me.

Edit: For those of you wondering, the other revelation spot is in Nakamichi St., next to the arcade in the corner where a woman is digging through a box.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Is there any benefit to me playing through the demo? Any kind of bonus like being able to keep the exp or start the game where the demo leaves off?[/QUOTE]

No it's just a demo, nothing carries through to the full release.

[quote name='Scorch']There are people seriously not buying it because it forces you to read subtitles?

Yeah, its sad. Seriously, English dubbing would ruin this game so I rather have subtitles with Japanese voice dialog. Like Saint Noir said, I wanted there to be more spoken dialog.

Played through the demo again and I managed to find the Club Sega store where the two arcades are: Boxcelios and UFO catcher. Sucks that Boxcelios is limited to 3 minutes before the demo kicks you out.

Enjoyed the demo and I have to say, the game feels much different from PS2 Yakuzas. I love that you can rotate the camera however you want and that they added a first person view so you can see the city in detail. The game looks better than I expected.

The gameplay was solid and the QTE events weren't as unforgiving as the previous games (though there wasn't many).

I'll admit, when I started playing the 2nd game, I was kinda thrown off due to the fact that there were no English dubbing (especially since it was done so well in the first game) but I got over it quickly. The game's not particularly text heavy and you can still see the emotions of the characters faces and hear it in their voices.

I actually thought the dub job in the first game was decent. There were a few poor performances that stuck out, but most of the main characters and Kazama in particular seemed to be well above average quality.

I think my big criticism of the PS3 release is that Kazama's face looks a lot skinnier and grisled than the previous titles, which makes him seem more human and less "Dragon of Dojima". Also, the changes they made to his suit look a bit odd. It doesnt have the clean cut of a Yakuza anymore...

bread's done
Back