Yakuza 3 (PS3) - $22.96 fulfilled by Amazon

[quote name='xRemnant']We understand that this is not the optimum thing to do, but given the options of releasing the next chapter of a beloved game so that our fans can experience the story of Yakuza vs. not releasing it at all, we felt it was worth it to release it with 99% of the content intact.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately it looks like much more than 1% of the game got cut. Some are estimating it's at 13%. I've heard people complain that some of the cuts make the game much more difficult for U.S. audiences. This is due to the fact the game expects you to have your character reach a certain level of power by the end of the game. The problem is when Sega cut the missions they didn't provide a way to compensate for all the EXP the player misses out on. Has anyone here had that problem?

[quote name='takotchi']Should've launched at that price, considering how much content was cut. :roll:[/QUOTE]

This_just_in_nobody_cares.jpg

[quote name='Barnolde']Yakuza 3 is an amazing game with an enthralling story and there's such a vast amount of stuff to do in the game, you won't notice any "cuts." It's just nerds complaining because they can.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this one fully. In every game things are "cut", ideas that don't make it to the final product. Whether it happens for all regions or happens in translation or not doesn't really matter. Ultimately you have an experience in a game and that is either worth the time/money to you or not. Take it for what it is and buy or don't buy.

In this case, Yakuza 4, I think Sega made the right choice to cut some things out which 99.9% of western gamers wouldn't know. Otherwise they will all just get frustrated on these portions.

I have not played this Japanese trivia, but i have played (or tried to) play a similar one when I went to some mid-autumn festivals before (Chinese). They translated it into English for me but it made no sense to me and I had no idea what the answer were. If this came up in the game I would just get frustrated on it, as I'm sure 99% would, and I bet reviewers would also put this down as a negative aspect.

Ok, this is getting long but just one last thing to say: If you have a cheeseburger, that is great, if you add some things it can make it better for some, but not all. In order to have the best sales of said cheeseburger (if you can only make it one way for everyone) is to make it simpler to appeal to all tastes.

Everybody needs to chill out and take it down a notch.

Ordered this the other day. Hopefully it is as good as others have mentioned. Looking forward to another Shenmue type game.

[quote name='takotchi']You are playing from the perspective of a Japanese person in this game. What you're saying doesn't make any sense. If you don't want to play as a Japanese person... well, you'd have to play some other game.[/QUOTE]

I have never heard of a game that requires you to change your nationality/ethnicity to glean some measure of enjoyment from the experience. Clearly you are into some heavy shit...

2mhvh4i.jpg

[quote name='Thrinn']Good point. However just as a warning, Yakuza 3 has a DLC voucher code in the box, so you may want to buy a brand new copy of this one.[/QUOTE]

What is the DLC content that includes on the new copy?

[quote name='coopx']What is the DLC content that includes on the new copy?[/QUOTE]

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2010/021510a.html

The first bit of DLC is "Battle for Survival" mode, in which players can take on all the Yakuza 3 bosses as Kazuma. The second and third items are an All-Star Tournament and All-Star Tag Tournament modes. The last item is titled "Haruka's Requests" which are a series of challenge missions that will send players back through the world of Yakuza 3 while playing mini-games and performing various tasks.

Not to be confused with the GS exclusive DLC for pre-ordering:

GameStop is planning to offer two pieces of unique content, but it's first come first serve. First, titled "GameStop Exclusive Challenge Pack", players will be able to challenge their friends in some two-player mini games. These mini games include bowling, darts, gold and pool. The second piece of content is additional outfits for Haruka, Kazuma and Rikiya to wear. However, in order to access these additional outfits, a completed save file of the game is required.

After debating and remembering I paid about the same for Yakuza 2 a couple years ago I decided to pull the trigger.

The game is Japanese. The setting is Japan. The characters are Japanese people. You will play as a Japanese person. There's no way around this; no amount of stupid GIFs will change it.

"Get that Japanese stuff out of my Yakuza game!" is the new "get the government out of my Medicare!", apparently. :dunce:

[quote name='takotchi']
"Cuts" should not be in scare quotes. They are quite real and significant. A list, paraphrased from an Amazon review: Theme song, hostess clubs, mahjong, shogi, massage parlor, Answer x Answer, magazines, 26/126 sub-missions. There are probably more; that just gives you an idea of how much was removed.[/QUOTE]

lol "quite real and significant" you speak about it like it's some legitimate real-world issue and not just a videogame

the game is STILL so long it doesn't matter and if it does to you, sounds like you should spend more time outside away from your TV. of course no one WANTS anything cut, but it's the only way the game came over and it's a great game, so yeah deal with it.

[quote name='Thrinn']Good point. However just as a warning, Yakuza 3 has a DLC voucher code in the box, so you may want to buy a brand new copy of this one.[/QUOTE]

I got it brand new and didn't have any DLC voucher in the box.

[quote name='takotchi']The game is Japanese. The setting is Japan. The characters are Japanese people. You will play as a Japanese person. There's no way around this; no amount of stupid GIFs will change it.

"Get that Japanese stuff out of my Yakuza game!" is the new "get the government out of my Medicare!", apparently. :dunce:[/QUOTE]

I don't think you have gotten the point. It's the fact that how many people buying this game are going to know trivia about Japan? or anything about there culture.

I for one would know a little bit, but no one wants to google while they play a game. I think it helps with the gameflow a little bit.

Also no point in arguing about it. What's cut is cut. Either you want it or you don't simple as that. You put out the information about what was cut, and now we can make our own decisions.

[quote name='Barnolde']I got it brand new and didn't have any DLC voucher in the box.[/QUOTE]
It looks like a lot of people have run into the same problem. Maybe the codes were limited to the first printing of the game? Some have said that they contacted Sega's customer service and were issued a replacement code.

I'm planning on purchasing Yakuza 4 in Japan during my business trip (Ryu Ga Gotoku). Japan has Yakuza 4 released as "Greatest Hits" already which kind of shows how behind we are in the states (still pricey with current US$/yen exchange rate). I'm still debating if I should also purchase Yakuza 3 since I have no idea how different they are (it appears 4 has four different characters vs 3 is based more on one character). Anyone have any opinion?

I've also noticed that Yakuza 5 is coming out during my business trip in March but bit put off by the concept of zombies. I don't want Resident Evil type game.

I'm with most of you that I prefer full content vs cut version, even if the release would be delayed, hence I just decided to buy the Japanese version, especially since culture/language is not a barrier for me (Japanese living in US for a very looooong time).

[quote name='midorix']I'm planning on purchasing Yakuza 4 in Japan during my business trip (Ryu Ga Gotoku). Japan has Yakuza 4 released as "Greatest Hits" already which kind of shows how behind we are in the states (still pricey with current US$/yen exchange rate). I'm still debating if I should also purchase Yakuza 3 since I have no idea how different they are (it appears 4 has four different characters vs 3 is based more on one character). Anyone have any opinion?

I've also noticed that Yakuza 5 is coming out during my business trip in March but bit put off by the concept of zombies. I don't want Resident Evil type game.

I'm with most of you that I prefer full content vs cut version, even if the release would be delayed, hence I just decided to buy the Japanese version, especially since culture/language is not a barrier for me (Japanese living in US for a very looooong time).[/QUOTE]

Play-Asia has both ryuu ga gotoku 3 and 4 for reasonable prices. Well, maybe not reasonable considering their age, but they're like $45 and $60 if I remember right. Nothing wallet-busting.

Over on another forum, RubyEclipse has today said Yakuza 4 will cut more than Answer x Answer. Ooh, I can't wait until March 15th!

Anyone who has actually played Yakuza 3 will realize that there is a shit ton of content and won't miss anything that was cut. Most side missions are boring and there are still 100+ of them for you to do.

I just think it's funny that the people who complain about the cut content are the ones that haven't played the game and everytime a Yakuza 3 thread comes up, they swarm in and start whining about the cut content.

Thanks OP! I passed on this when Gamefly was selling it a few months ago, but for some reason felt compelled to snag it now. Must be the withdrawals from not having added anything to the backlog for several weeks. ;)

[quote name='coopx']You sure? i was holding to buy it, thinking it might go down more[/QUOTE]

it will only get more expensive from this point on for a new copy. it may become maybe $1 cheaper from a 3rd party but this is it. The game is already out of print. Just look at how much a new copy of yakuza 1 and 2 costsand then maybe that will be enough convincing.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']it will only get more expensive from this point on for a new copy. it may become maybe $1 cheaper from a 3rd party but this is it. The game is already out of print. Just look at how much a new copy of yakuza 1 and 2 costsand then maybe that will be enough convincing.[/QUOTE]
You shouldnt say that like it is a fact. It is possible of course, but who says that they cant just reprint more copies if demand is high enough? Unless you make decisions for the publisher (ie CEO), you cant be positive about this.

EDIT: Amazon says they have 593 of these left in stock at this moment.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Anyone who has actually played Yakuza 3 will realize that there is a shit ton of content and won't miss anything that was cut. Most side missions are boring and there are still 100+ of them for you to do.

I just think it's funny that the people who complain about the cut content are the ones that haven't played the game and everytime a Yakuza 3 thread comes up, they swarm in and start whining about the cut content.[/QUOTE]

Sorry bro, but this is bullshit. There are plenty of locations you can go that had minigames in Yakuza 1 and 2 but when you go to them in Yakuza 3 expecting to play, nothing happens and you realize the game is a pathetic shell. Someone who never played the other games might not notice, but I kept expecting to get sent to those various locations as part of the plot to have the minigames unlock and it never happened. I am not even one of the people who hung out on forums and obsessed over every little cut, I only found out after I started playing the game and it felt so slapped together that I went and researched it.

At any rate, I found this third entry to be very poor compared to the first two. The plot is very important to this series and was EXTREMELY lacking in Y3. The game design is still stuck in the PS2 era with only visual upgrades. No excuse for a game on the newer consoles to have such archaic collision detection where you can't even hit enemies depending on what part of their animation they are in. Also, there is just a huge lack of polish. The cutscenes are another important part of the series, and here they will have like a minute of a fully voiced and animated cutscene, followed by the characters saying 3 lines to each other in text from the same static uncinematic camera angle you get from talking to shopkeepers, then after that the fully voiced/animated cutscene continues. It's ridiculous that they were too lazy to voice those few extra lines and instead made the game so sloppy.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']it will only get more expensive from this point on for a new copy. it may become maybe $1 cheaper from a 3rd party but this is it. The game is already out of print. Just look at how much a new copy of yakuza 1 and 2 costsand then maybe that will be enough convincing.[/QUOTE]

Stop talking like you're a Sega executive quoting what's going on their factories. You're a teenager with no idea about what games Sega in printing now, or planning to print in the future.

A new, sealed copy of Madden 03 sells for $40, just like Yakuza 1 and 2.

[quote name='V3rtigo']Stop talking like you're a Sega executive quoting what's going on their factories. You're a teenager with no idea about what games Sega in printing now, or planning to print in the future.

A new, sealed copy of Madden 03 sells for $40, just like Yakuza 1 and 2.[/QUOTE]

by all means dont buy a copy. Im not forcing you guys too. Im just saying that this is probably the cheapest it is going to become. Since when sega reprint games? Usually games like yakuza only have 1 or 2 batches sent to the U.S. And for yakuza to be at this price means that demand is not even that high for the game, so what would make them want to reprint them. I may not be a sega executive, but i am just using some logic and common sense here. Another example of this would be valkyria chronicles. Ater all this time did sega reprint that game? The answer would be no. But again this is your choice here. Im just giving a logical opinion.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']by all means dont buy a copy. Im not forcing you guys too. Im just saying that this is probably the cheapest it is going to become. Since when sega reprint games? Usually games like yakuza only have 1 or 2 batches sent to the U.S. And for yakuza to be at this price means that demand is not even that high for the game, so what would make them want to reprint them. I may not be a sega executive, but i am just using some logic and common sense here. Another example of this would be valkyria chronicles. Ater all this time did sega reprint that game? The answer would be no. But again this is your choice here. Im just giving a logical opinion.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wrencrest']You shouldnt say that like it is a fact. It is possible of course, but who says that they cant just reprint more copies if demand is high enough? Unless you make decisions for the publisher (ie CEO), you cant be positive about this.

EDIT: Amazon says they have 593 of these left in stock at this moment.[/QUOTE]
See the bold section above. Try and read what yourself and others have said. Also I did not check the stock again, but i doubt it went down much in so little time. And why the hell would Sega repint either of these games you mention? Not all of them have been sold through yet! :roll:

[quote name='wrencrest']See the bold section above. Try and read what yourself and others have said. Also I did not check the stock again, but i doubt it went down much in so little time. And why the hell would Sega repint either of these games you mention? Not all of them have been sold through yet! :roll:[/QUOTE]

walmart (one of the biggest retailers) is sold out. Most large retailers no longer have this game. So are you trying to say that sega does its business with small retailers rather than large ones like walmart or amazon? In the eyes of sega this game is pretty much sold out except for the smaller 3rd parties. But agin im not forcing you guys to buy the game. All im saying is that given the circumstances this might be the cheapest price it gets.

Got my copy today.

Had the DLC in with it.
Starting this makes realize I need to go back, and play 1 and 2.

I bit. After reading some reviews and some high praise from posters I'll give it a shot. Still selling back for $9 on Amazon.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117'] . Ater all this time did sega reprint that game? The answer would be no. [/QUOTE]

Yes, they did. The reprint was available on Amazon pretty recently.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']walmart (one of the biggest retailers) is sold out. Most large retailers no longer have this game. So are you trying to say that sega does its business with small retailers rather than large ones like walmart or amazon? In the eyes of sega this game is pretty much sold out except for the smaller 3rd parties. But agin im not forcing you guys to buy the game. All im saying is that given the circumstances this might be the cheapest price it gets.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you have no idea how the industry works. Sega doesn't get to decide where it does business. They have no leverage. Walmart doesn't sell Yakuza 3 anymore because it decided to allocate its shelf space to a different, newer game. LOL @ you if you thought Walmart desperately wanted more copies of Yakuza 3 to put on its shelves but couldn't get them from Sega. So yes, it's more likely to for Sega to deal with online and smaller retailers because those are the ones still willing to stock the game.

As was already stated, you're a teenager with no idea about what games Sega in printing now, or planning to print in the future.

Great game. I highly recommend it. I got it day 1 for $60 and didn't regret it at all.

Actually playing through it again right now.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Yes, they did. The reprint was available on Amazon pretty recently.

Looks like you have no idea how the industry works. Sega doesn't get to decide where it does business. They have no leverage. Walmart doesn't sell Yakuza 3 anymore because it decided to allocate its shelf space to a different, newer game. LOL @ you if you thought Walmart desperately wanted more copies of Yakuza 3 to put on its shelves but couldn't get them from Sega. So yes, it's more likely to for Sega to deal with online and smaller retailers because those are the ones still willing to stock the game.

As was already stated, you're a teenager with no idea about what games Sega in printing now, or planning to print in the future.[/QUOTE]

so you think that sega is going to reprint this game because all of these retailers want to have it in stock? I think this my 3rd but i dont care if you guys buy this game or not. Its not like im going to be losing anything? You guys may be losing a good deal so Im just try to give some good reasons why this is a good time to buy this game or not. People doubted me when i recommended to pick up the game for $20. Now the game is like $26 and places like gamestop, walmart, amazon dont have it in stock. Im thinking t will be the same case with yakuza 3. And honestly yakuza 3 is pretty well worth it for that price. If you a new copy of this game will hit $15 even if sega reprints this then wow I dont know what to say other than that it highly unlikely. Just giving you a recommendation, no need to bring age or education or lack thereof into this.

I'd like to pick this up at the sub-$20 price, but I doubt it will hit that too.

I still haven't played 2.

This game is like a Nintendo game that never drops. It should be $30 by now everywhere.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']walmart (one of the biggest retailers) is sold out. Most large retailers no longer have this game. So are you trying to say that sega does its business with small retailers rather than large ones like walmart or amazon? In the eyes of sega this game is pretty much sold out except for the smaller 3rd parties. But agin im not forcing you guys to buy the game. All im saying is that given the circumstances this might be the cheapest price it gets.[/QUOTE]

No its not. Again stop saying things as fact when you're dead wrong. Walmart.com still sells it new. So do NewEgg and ToysRUs.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Another example of this would be valkyria chronicles. Ater all this time did sega reprint that game? The answer would be no.[/QUOTE]

Why would they reprint it?!? I can still buy it new at Amazon for $26. Or Overstock, or Hastings, or Play-Asia, or eStarland...

Seriously, just stop it. You have no idea what you're talking about.

[quote name='Mako1215']Got my copy today.

Had the DLC in with it.
Starting this makes realize I need to go back, and play 1 and 2.[/QUOTE]
Is it a factory mint copy or does it look like a dented copy retrieved from a dump bin in a liquidation/closeout sale?

People who didn't buy this originally because of the cuts really missed out. I mean, I kinda kinda understand the Hostess Clubs since they're a nice distraction for a few minutes here or there, but the side missions...there's still 101 I believe.

I'm going through the game now trying to do them all and they feel more like a chore than anything honestly.

[quote name='V3rtigo']Why would they reprint it?!? I can still buy it new at Amazon for $26. Or Overstock, or Hastings, or Play-Asia, or eStarland...

Seriously, just stop it. You have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

okay i guess ill just put this in simple terms. It is a great game for a great price. buy it or dont buy it. but i honestly dont think it will get cheaper? Whats your next comment gonna be like? Are you gonna say the s=game sucks and isnt worth over $10?

Good to see the idiots all come out, none of whom have ever played the game yet are commenting like the cuts are 99% of the game. It's not even 2% of the game. It's a good game at a great price that's being ignored because of retards in here bitching about cut content that was irrelevant in all of the other past Yakuza games. God I don't understand people on this forum sometimes, they'll bitch about the stupidest crap. Yet they'll praise companies like Activision/EA/Capcom who will nickel/dime the shit out of you with content that should be already in the game at launch or release ZOMG LIMITED COLLECTOR'S with crap inside.

Also if you don't have a PS2 or the original Yakuza 1 and 2 games, Yakuza 3 has a nice synopsis of all the previous titles. It's a fun game with a cool story. Graphics are not the best but gameplay wise it's still pretty fun.

[quote name='Naramie']Good to see the idiots all come out, none of whom have ever played the game yet are commenting like the cuts are 99% of the game. It's not even 2% of the game. It's a good game at a great price that's being ignored because of retards in here bitching about cut content that was irrelevant in all of the other past Yakuza games. God I don't understand people on this forum sometimes, they'll bitch about the stupidest crap. Yet they'll praise companies like Activision/EA/Capcom who will nickel/dime the shit out of you with content that should be already in the game at launch or release ZOMG LIMITED COLLECTOR'S with crap inside.

Also if you don't have a PS2 or the original Yakuza 1 and 2 games, Yakuza 3 has a nice synopsis of all the previous titles. It's a fun game with a cool story. Graphics are not the best but gameplay wise it's still pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

I own the game, douchebag. The cuts were huge and very noticeable to anyone who played Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2. It's very jarring to walk into a Shogi parlor expecting to play just like you did in Yakuza 2, and then talk to everyone in there trying to figure out how, only to finally go do a gamefaqs search and find out that you can't play Shogi this time because Sega was too lazy. There are many other cuts of that magnitude, where a fan of the series will notice gaping holes where there was supposed to be content.

I remember walking into the Shogi parlor and hoping I wouldn't have to play.

I bought both Yakuza 1 and 2 on day 1 and the cuts didn't keep me from buying 3. The cuts are in no way an important part of the game. Nice distractrions if you're into shogi or mahjong sure...but I never willingly played those anyways. I'm sure you can find other ways to play shogi if you love it so much.

[quote name='eau']Is it a factory mint copy or does it look like a dented copy retrieved from a dump bin in a liquidation/closeout sale?[/QUOTE]

I got my copy yesterday, and it is a factory mint copy with the DLC inside.

[quote name='whoknows']I remember walking into the Shogi parlor and hoping I wouldn't have to play.

I bought both Yakuza 1 and 2 on day 1 and the cuts didn't keep me from buying 3. The cuts are in no way an important part of the game. Nice distractrions if you're into shogi or mahjong sure...but I never willingly played those anyways. I'm sure you can find other ways to play shogi if you love it so much.[/QUOTE]

Yakuza is supposed to be a simulation of Japanese life like Shenmue. Take out the side content and it's just a beatemup with bad graphics and collision detection.

The graphics look good to me.

And I play it mainly for the story. To me it's a very story driven beat em up with an above average fighting system. Some of the side stuff is fun, but some of it just feels like a chore. And I don't think it's a Japanese life simulator. if it is I never want to go to Japan. Flaming red Yakuza running up and attacking me would be no good.

[quote name='whoknows']The graphics look good to me.

And I play it mainly for the story. To me it's a very story driven beat em up with an above average fighting system. Some of the side stuff is fun, but some of it just feels like a chore. And I don't think it's a Japanese life simulator. if it is I never want to go to Japan. Flaming red Yakuza running up and attacking me would be no good.[/QUOTE]

lol nice one

[quote name='Naramie']God I don't understand people on this forum sometimes, they'll bitch about the stupidest crap.

Yet they'll praise companies like Activision/EA/Capcom who will nickel/dime the shit out of you with content that should be already in the game at launch or release ZOMG LIMITED COLLECTOR'S with crap inside.[/QUOTE]
Oh boy, stupid crap? Sega promised it untouched way back then only to start with the cuts week after week until release. You don't pull that with long-time fans then suddenly get lazy just because you want to release it on the same day as an obvious million-seller (FF 13)

As for the second part, you're just putting words in people's mouths =\ Might wanna stop generalizing.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']I own the game, douchebag. The cuts were huge and very noticeable to anyone who played Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2. It's very jarring to walk into a Shogi parlor expecting to play just like you did in Yakuza 2, and then talk to everyone in there trying to figure out how, only to finally go do a gamefaqs search and find out that you can't play Shoji this time because Sega was too lazy. There are many other cuts of that magnitude, where a fan of the series will notice gaping holes where there was supposed to be content.[/QUOTE]

Like I said before all cuts were irrelevant to game experience or story. Yeah there were some items that were left over from the hostess portions but if you played any of the Yakuza games you would know that those mini games were not very long. I'm sorry removing the some of the mini games ruined your game experience.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Yakuza is supposed to be a simulation of Japanese life like Shenmue. Take out the side content and it's just a beatemup with bad graphics and collision detection.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if you think Yakuza is simulation of Japanese life, you honestly need to get out more.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']I own the game, douchebag. The cuts were huge and very noticeable to anyone who played Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2. It's very jarring to walk into a Shogi parlor expecting to play just like you did in Yakuza 2, and then talk to everyone in there trying to figure out how, only to finally go do a gamefaqs search and find out that you can't play Shogi this time because Sega was too lazy. There are many other cuts of that magnitude, where a fan of the series will notice gaping holes where there was supposed to be content.[/QUOTE]

Dude you might want to dial it down a couple of notches. No need to call people douchebags.

[quote name='FireWarrior']Dude you might want to dial it down a couple of notches. No need to call people douchebags.[/QUOTE]

If people didn't act like douchebags by spouting off an opinion that is by far in the minority and referring to the majority as "idiots ... none of whom have ever played the game yet are commenting like the cuts are 99% of the game" even though most people complaining (myself included) own Yakuza 4 and are longtime fans of the series, there would be no need to call them douchebags.

bread's done
Back