Yet More Craigslist Stupidity!

[quote name='Navex']If one was new to using craigslist to sell, what tips would you guys give? I don't want to do it really but I want to see if I can unload some of my old books and other misc. stuff this way to make a little bit of cash before lowballing myself at retail chains that buy used stuff. I hear there are a lot of scammers out there so what can I do to avoid them or at least make it harder for them to harass me? And what's the best way to have people contact you, as I only have one # so I really do not want to give that out though I suspect I'm opening myself up to bots with an email address ugh.[/QUOTE]

Since this is craigslist stupidity I would advise just don't post the dumb stuff that gets posted here. :)

[quote name='Navex']If one was new to using craigslist to sell, what tips would you guys give? I don't want to do it really but I want to see if I can unload some of my old books and other misc. stuff this way to make a little bit of cash before lowballing myself at retail chains that buy used stuff. I hear there are a lot of scammers out there so what can I do to avoid them or at least make it harder for them to harass me? And what's the best way to have people contact you, as I only have one # so I really do not want to give that out though I suspect I'm opening myself up to bots with an email address ugh.[/QUOTE]

Open up a free email account and use that email account. Don't use your real email address. You can use a gmail account set forward all your emails from that account to your real account. Set up a rule on your main email account to put all emails with your forward gmail account so it doesn't get mixed in with your real mail. You can always delete the gmail account later. And do what the previous guy said. Don't put something up that will get you recognized on this thread :) . Use common sense, don't send anything to Africa, wire transfers, don't meet in dark alley at 1am...etc. Oh yeah, forgot to mention.. if you get an invitation to a 3-way Trek cosplay in their garage bridge simulator. Please ignore :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Is it advisable to post your preferred payment on the listing or only when you have an interested buyer that's willing to email you to discuss it? I'm not about to accept a personal check in this area so it's cash (though there's a lot of fakes around here too) or I imagine a cashier check or money order would work although I admit I have never used either of them so I'd have to ask someone to describe them to me in what they look like and how to tell if they are valid.

What kind of books are you looking to sell? I would recommend checking them on amazon and seeing if they offer good trade in values on any, or selling them directly on amazon as you can ship them media mail (or whatever it's called now) and generally make much better money, particularly depending upon the book.

If amazon won't work for whatever reason and you have to sell these on craigslist, I always add disclaimers such as CASH ONLY, US Dollars only, etc. along with something about meeting at a public location. I usually meet at a grocery or convenience store near my office or home, or for the big transactions at a branch of my bank.

Just trust your gut instinct/judgment/common sense. If you ever feel the need for added security/insurance (without having to bring a buddy/posse and/or pack a concealed weapon or three), you should always let a loved one know the details of the transaction specifically the meet up location and time, and to plan some sort of signal, such as to expect a call or text from you within 5-10 minutes of the scheduled transaction.

If your spider sense is tingling when you get to the deal, you can always let the other party know that the area is under video surveillance, that there is a record of their email correspondence, and/or that someone is expecting a phone call/text from you within a few minutes and has the exact details of the transaction. This can help to diffuse any potentially further dangerous situation so that hopefully calm and rational thinking prevail.

If they plan to rob you, that is bad enough, but moving you (kidnapping), assaulting/raping and/or killing you will get them caught and potentially be capital offense(s) and get them the death penalty (depending on the crime/state). Generally, if you are being robbed in such a scenario, you can hopefully talk your way out of them doing anything worse by getting them to think about and understand the consequences of their choices so they don't do anything rash or in the heat of the moment.

I've never had to resort to that speech thankfully even after hundreds of craigslist transactions, however I have thought through such a scenario. Better to be prepared for anything and never have to use said preparedness.

Stories like this and that don't help...hopefully I haven't frightened you off craigslist though :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to sell my Virtua Cop 2 coin-op on Craigslist and have had virtually no luck. It plays great, but needs a little work, so I'm only asking $250 for it. So far, I've had offers as low as $50 for it, people stating "it needs to much work for $250." ??? You'd be lucky to get an empty cabinet for $50, let alone a fully functional stand up shooter in overall decent condition.

Now tonight, I received 3 emails from the same person saying:

"Hello, I'm a police officer & I live in Pittsburgh. I want to come out today & play your game. I will pay you cash! Thanks! OFC. ___ ____, MCJ (504) ***-****"

All three have had the same basic message, with some differences in wording.

It may be nothing, but why would someone come out and say "I'm a cop" unless they're trying to make themselves sound more trustworthy? Three emails in the same hour make me think you are a bit loose upstairs. Secondly, the phone number isn't local, it's a New Orleans number. And I tried googling the guys name and can't find it anywhere. It just seems more like a set-up/casing for theft later.

I'd have no problem with this if it were a small item I could take to a meeting place, but not at my house....

[quote name='sp00ge']I've been trying to sell my Virtua Cop 2 coin-op on Craigslist and have had virtually no luck. It plays great, but needs a little work, so I'm only asking $250 for it. So far, I've had offers as low as $50 for it, people stating "it needs to much work for $250." ??? You'd be lucky to get an empty cabinet for $50, let alone a fully functional stand up shooter in overall decent condition.

"Hello, I'm a police officer & I live in Pittsburgh. I want to come out today & play your game. I will pay you cash! Thanks! OFC. ___ ____, MCJ (504) ***-****"

It may be nothing, but why would someone come out and say "I'm a cop" unless they're trying to make themselves sound more trustworthy? Three emails in the same hour make me think you are a bit loose upstairs. Secondly, the phone number isn't local, it's a New Orleans number. And I tried googling the guys name and can't find it anywhere. It just seems more like a set-up/casing for theft later.

I'd have no problem with this if it were a small item I could take to a meeting place, but not at my house....[/QUOTE]

I had a guy text me telling me he owned a car dealership. I was like "...what? Really?" Told whoever was with me when I got that text that some dude was probably about to try and scam me.
...two days later and I meet the guy at his car dealership to sell him the item.
Some people just want to throw out there their occupation for some weird reason. Be wary, but they might be telling the truth.

[quote name='sp00ge']I've been trying to sell my Virtua Cop 2 coin-op on Craigslist and have had virtually no luck. It plays great, but needs a little work, so I'm only asking $250 for it. So far, I've had offers as low as $50 for it, people stating "it needs to much work for $250." ??? You'd be lucky to get an empty cabinet for $50, let alone a fully functional stand up shooter in overall decent condition.

I'd have no problem with this if it were a small item I could take to a meeting place, but not at my house....[/QUOTE]
Ask for the guy's badge number.

A craigslist virtual cop, interested in your Virtua Cop 2 perhaps? On craigslist (and the internet in general), I'd have to imagine the rule is "I'm not a cop" = law enforcement/cop, while "I'm a cop" = crook/ne'er do well

And seriously, somebody offered you $50??? Ridiculous. I'd destroy the cabinet out of spite, and I mean turn it into a pile of smoldering ash and dust, before giving it away for so little. Or maybe leave a pile of ash and scrap somewhere and tell the guy he can have it for free, it will be waiting for him at X location.

[quote name='Rozz']Ha, not only would that be the worst trade ever, but you must come to them...[/QUOTE]

well he didnt specify he wanted a working ps3 and since this is craigslists stupidity they just might go for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBICj64ak0k

lol wut http://pennstate.craigslist.org/vgm/3747516461.html

"Here's The deal, you pay ME to get YOU trophies for you PSN account. You play a flat fee for a certain number of trophies, and I guarantee a certain number of bronze, silver, gold, and platinum trophies. This way you get the trophies but I do the work. It's 100% safe and this isn't a scam, it's for real.
25 Trophies- $25
35 Trophies-$30-(possible platinum!)
50 Trophies-$45 with one guaranteed platinum and 5 guaranteed golds (plus other trophies up to 50 including other golds)"

This guy has 2 dumb posts.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/vgm/3748153927.html

Nintendo 64 system - $225 (Fort Wayne)

N 64 system. Works great. 4 contollers, memory pack, and 11 games included. Call or text .....

I emailed this guy what games he had. This was the list," Mario kart, super Mario, smash brothers, Mario party, NASCAR 99, all-star baseball 2000, Kobe Bryant in NBA court side, madden 2001, triple play 2000, NHL 99, and Elmo's number journey"

LAWL.

And here's his other ad.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/vgm/3748136177.html

Nintendo GameCube - $90 (Fort Wayne)

Nintendo Gamecube system. Works great. The game Driven, 1 memory card, 1 wired controller, and 1 wireless controller included. Trying to find the rest of my games to sell also. Call or text.......

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']lol wut http://pennstate.craigslist.org/vgm/3747516461.html

"Here's The deal, you pay ME to get YOU trophies for you PSN account. You play a flat fee for a certain number of trophies, and I guarantee a certain number of bronze, silver, gold, and platinum trophies. This way you get the trophies but I do the work. It's 100% safe and this isn't a scam, it's for real.
25 Trophies- $25
50 Trophies-$45 with one guaranteed platinum and 5 guaranteed golds (plus other trophies up to 50 including other golds)"
[/QUOTE]

wow lol

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']lol wut http://pennstate.craigslist.org/vgm/3747516461.html

25 Trophies- $25
[/QUOTE]

Amazing, someone who's found a way to get paid to play videogames. Well in theory at least. I'd love to know if anyone has actually paid this guy a single dollar.

[quote name='yantelope']Amazing, someone who's found a way to get paid to play videogames. Well in theory at least. I'd love to know if anyone has actually paid this guy a single dollar.[/QUOTE]

im curious too but we may never know

[quote name='yantelope']This guy is about to get a response from someone who is "definitely not a cop".[/QUOTE]

What if it was a police department add, to catch dealers? Double cop bust?

Wii sports

3G43Kf3M75I35Ge5M4d4g55f5c6ac0630146b.jpg

I have a wii sports with lots of extras for sale $200.00

[quote name='yantelope']Why does the system not work but all the games are unopened? I'm really confused by this posting.[/QUOTE]

i was thinking the same thing.

"Retail on everything is $3,000 so $1,500, in my opinion, is very fair asking price." :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: "Prices Based on Ebay completed sold listings" :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

BULLSHIT ON BOTH COUNTS

VINTAGE VIDEO GAME HOARD---NINTENDO--SEGA---20+YR. COLLECTION (PASADENA)

Hi, I am selling this lot of vintage games & goodies.
Games with boxes and manual.
Console with box, looks "like new"
Magazines, all but a couple of them with original posters, mail in cards and trading cards.
Rare Nintendo wooden game box in very, very good condition.
Plus some extras and accessories.
I'll probably end up selling them individually online but it would be nice to see them gone in 1 transaction.
$1,500 OBO-- majority of the items are in "like new" condition.
text, email or call 626-831-833fiveMotivated to sell and will entertain all reasonable offers but prefer to negotiate in person.
Unless you have viewed the items in person, it's really tough to grasp everything involved.
More pictures below.
Open to full or partial trades
(not limited to) 1080i projector; high end mtn. bike; high end home audio; ski lift passes (next yr)
power generator, earth quake prep stuff; coins, silver, gold
Thank you for visiting my listing :) have a nice day!Due to spam, I do not reply to "Is it available".

Listing will be removed immediately after it is sold.Thank you for visiting my listing :) have a nice day!
Prices Based on Ebay completed sold listings​

Sega Master System Control Box $400
Sega Sport Pad $45

The Legend Of Zelda & Super Mario Bros. Toy Box $500
All Games are complete with Box, manual, slip case & foam (unless specified)​

NINTENDO NES
Metroid $100
Zelda I $70
Zelda II $70
Mike Tyson Punch Out $50
Blaster Master $30
Super C $30
Willow $40
Crystalis no manual $20
Final Fantasy no manual $70
Wizardry $50
The Guardian Legend $40
Clash DemonHead $40
Gauntlet no manual $30
Breakthrou $30
Dragon Warrior $35
No box: With slip case
Super Mario Bros. with manual $50
Ultima Exodus with manual $20
Strider with manual $15
Dungeon Magic with manual & poster $10
Section Z $5
Nobunaga's Ambition with manual $25
Sega
Astro Warrior $20
Great Baseball $15
Action Fighter $35
Miracle Warriors $25
Golden Axe with poster $100
Choplifter $10
Black Belt $13
Marksman Shooting & Trap shooting $13
Wonder Boy $35
PaperBoy $35
Fantasy Zone $25
Pro Wrestling no manual $15
Hangon & Safari Hunt $10
The Ninja $25
Power Strike with poster $100
Alex Kidd in Miracle World $50
Rastan $20
Phantasy Star with poster $80
World Grand Prix $10
Out Run $30
Space Harrier $14
GhostBusters with poster $30
CARDS:
F-16 Fighting Falcon $15
Teddy Boy $30
My Hero $20
TransBot $25
Ghost House $17
Super Tennis $17
Super NES:
Fianl Fantasy II $50 game only
Pilot Wings $15 game only
Turbo Graphx:
Neutopia $35 card only
Keith Corane $5 card only
Posters:
Secret Of Mana best offer
Now You're Playing with Power $20
Nintendo Power Magazine
Every Magazine is in plastic sleeve with board.
Vol. # 1 July/August 1988 Complete with poster, cards, mailers Very good condition $120
Vol. #1 July/Aug 1988 no poster, missing couple of mailers, Acceptable condition $65
Vol. #2 Sept/Oct 1988 Complete , acceptable condition $25
Vol. #5 Mach/April 1989 Complete w/poster good condition $25
Vol. #6 May/june 1989 no poster acceptable $4
Vol. #7 JulyAugust 1989 no poster acceptable $10
Vol #8 Sept/Oct 1989 no poster repair tape on spine acceptable $7
Vol. #9 Nov/Dec 1989 no poster good condition $5
Vol. #10 Jan/Feb 1990 repair tape on spine, no poster $3
Vol.#11 March/April 1990 no poster good $10
Vol#16 complete with poster very good condition $20
Vol#18 no poster good $5
Vol#20 complete with poster like new $30
Vol#21 complete with poster like new $20
Vol#22 complete with poster like new $14
Vol.23 complete with poster very good $14
Vol.24 complete with poster very good $20
Vol. 25 complete w/poster very good $12
Vol. 26 complete w/poster like new $13
Vol. 28 complete w/poster like new $33
Vol. 39 rare "last issue" cover complete but missing last mailer $40
Vol. 40 complete w/poster like new $28
Vol.44 complete with stickers, cards posters $15
Vol.51 rare "last issue"cover complete $45
Nintendo Power Strategy Guide
Vol. SG1/NP13 LIKE NEW $30
Vol. SG2/NP15 LIKE NEW $14
Vol. 19 Like new $10
Nintendo Fun Club News Vol.2 good $7
Sega Visions Oct/Nov 1990 Like new $18
Sega Visions Aug/Sept 1992 very good $14
Turbo Play June/July 1990 very good $8

Retail on everything is $3,000 so $1,500, in my opinion, is very fair asking price.
Not selling 1 or 2 pieces. If not buying the entire lot, offers should include a minimum of 10 items​

Not a store, please don't ask if I have anything other than what is listed above.

Are Dreamcast games too difficult for you to download and burn yourself? Fear not, this guy will sell you burned copies for $5 each! Thankfully he posted his phone number...

what I can get you is back-up games ... what happens when you scratch a game and becomes unplayable ........or you just want to protect originals... all games play on any dreamcast with out mod!!! All games are self-boot no swap disk needed. I have other back-ups not listed upon request just text Victor at ((323))205-6186-- I also take trade anything video games... I'm in ... buy 5 get one free any game... one disk games or on games that require more 5 bucks each... and i can also do pay pal and mail it if need be

Private Game Collection for Sale - HUGE! - - $5000 (Culver City)

...as opposed to a public game collection. And HUGE? If that meager list is comprehensive, that could hardly be considered a HUGE collection, let alone worth anywhere close to the $5K asking price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are Dreamcast games too difficult for you to download and burn yourself? Fear not, this guy will sell you burned copies for $5 each! Thankfully he posted his phone number...

what I can get you is back-up games ... what happens when you scratch a game and becomes unplayable ........or you just want to protect originals... all games play on any dreamcast with out mod!!! All games are self-boot no swap disk needed. I have other back-ups not listed upon request just text Victor at ((323))205-6186-- I also take trade anything video games... I'm in ... buy 5 get one free any game... one disk games or on games that require more 5 bucks each... and i can also do pay pal and mail it if need be

[quote name='Relentless Sheep']$10 seems like an average price except for Halo Wars and UFC which should be cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to charging $5 more than the rest for Kinect Adventures which you can easily find for under $1.

Cant find the link anymore but saw a cartridge only copy of Pokemon Blue with a ripped and water damaged label.........only $50. I sent the person a link from Ebay of a pristine looking cartridge that sold for $24.95 with free shipping.

bread's done
Back