Yet More Craigslist Stupidity!

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']The real question is who on this Earth valued them at $2,000 in the first place? To me they'd be worth $25.[/QUOTE]

If I am not mistaken, these are manufactured in China, and the manufacturer puts an MSRP price on the box for that much or more. It's almost like these companies know people use them to scam others. The box is misprinted with false specs, and ridiculous MSRP on purpose.
I also hear the scammers often carry brochures or catalogs with these speakers in them, showing fake reviews and fake MSRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eLefAdEr']It's a very common scam across the country. Guy in a van drives around busy parking lots trying to look worried, explaining "my boss overbought these fantastic speakers and I NEED to unload them today. $100 for a top-of-the-line pair and they're yours." Doesn't matter the brand of the speakers, they are absolute junk. I feel bad for the people that get taken.[/QUOTE]

I know Ive posted about this once before but Im bored so Ill do it again.

For the most part, they are cheap shit speakers. I worked for them for one day and didnt go back.

The basic sell point is to get 100.00 a pair. Anything you get above that, is what you get paid. Once I saw the scams and lies the guy pushed on people, and yes he actually sold a few pairs, I just never went back.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I don't see any reason for it to be disgusting other than all of that stuff being worth way more than a dog (at least in my eyes). But I do think it's weird how many people post ads like that. I see that every other time I check Craigslist.[/QUOTE]

actually it is pretty disgusting (if you are even remotely a dog person). My ex ended up with the dog after our break up and I am still trying to find a way to get him back. I would give up my entire collection to have him. If you aren't a dog person (or an animal person), I get it. But seriously that is kind of messed up. Dood probably beat his dog if he would give it up for a video game system.

And that stuff may not be "worth" more than the dog, as pure bred dogs are not fucking cheap, especially if he has the papers for it.

[quote name='Will']I know Ive posted about this once before but Im bored so Ill do it again.

For the most part, they are cheap shit speakers. I worked for them for one day and didnt go back.

The basic sell point is to get 100.00 a pair. Anything you get above that, is what you get paid. Once I saw the scams and lies the guy pushed on people, and yes he actually sold a few pairs, I just never went back.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how did you get recruited or hear about this?

[quote name='MasaTFC']lol who leaves a glass of wine on the BACK EDGE of their couch?!?!?!?!?![/QUOTE]

I love the stock photo of their sales reps. It even says "Call our Sales Representatives Now!" When you click on it, it says "Send us a Fax!" LOL

[quote name='wugenius']I love the stock photo of their sales reps. It even says "Call our Sales Representatives Now!" When you click on it, it says "Send us a Fax!" LOL[/QUOTE]

It gets better - if you click on the fax link it prompts you to send an email. :rofl:

[quote name='Will']I know Ive posted about this once before but Im bored so Ill do it again.

The basic sell point is to get 100.00 a pair. Anything you get above that, is what you get paid. Once I saw the scams and lies the guy pushed on people, and yes he actually sold a few pairs, I just never went back.[/QUOTE]
You think that's bad? I worked for a company kinda like those scammers for about 2-3 weeks back in either 1993 or 1994.

This company used to pay you solely based on commission. You paid the boss whatever they were asking for each item. Anything over those amounts was your take home pay. You had to drive all over creation with either 10 lb 'college edition' dictionaries(fuckin' things were like a foot thick EACH:shock:), these junk Babar book and toy sets(half the toys didn't even work) or some of these sports bloopers video 3 packs(on VHS:shock:).

Even funnier was when we went out of town the one weekend for a trip to another 'district' and the people there took our folks going door to door selling plastic bathroom sets(brush, wastebasket, etc) for $10 or over each. Since I was the newbie I got to sit in the office and help them out by counting their take for the week. Of course, I didn't get paid a dime for it, since I wasn't out selling shit with the other people.

Funnier still was that the place I worked at disappeared and then re-appeared two more times. The next time the place was still being run by the same guy, but he had changed his name and dyed his hair. Nooooo. Nothing shady about that place, huh? The next time the one guy with a bad limp who worked for the original guy had changed his name and opened the business in a now third location.:rofl:

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I feel bad for the people that get taken.[/QUOTE]
I don't. It only takes a little bit of common sense to not get scammed by these people. Anyone who falls for it deserves their expensive lesson. We all know the old saying about a fool and their money...

[quote name='MasaTFC']actually it is pretty disgusting (if you are even remotely a dog person). My ex ended up with the dog after our break up and I am still trying to find a way to get him back. I would give up my entire collection to have him. If you aren't a dog person (or an animal person), I get it. But seriously that is kind of messed up. Dood probably beat his dog if he would give it up for a video game system.

And that stuff may not be "worth" more than the dog, as pure bred dogs are not fucking cheap, especially if he has the papers for it.[/QUOTE]
Monetarily, yes, some dogs are worth more than a console. We used to have an $800 dog, so I know how unnecessarily expensive they can be. But to me personally, a console is worth (or should be worth) a hell of a lot more than some dog. Clearly I'm not a dog person, but even when it comes to animals I do like, I still don't find it disgusting. It's a little weird maybe, but it's no worse than trying to sell a pet, which is a rather common practice. Sometimes people realize that they don't enjoy the animal or it's too much of a responsibility or they are simply unable to keep it for some reason...it's much easier to just give the animal away, but it's not so unorthodox to hope for something in return.

[quote name='MasaTFC']actually it is pretty disgusting (if you are even remotely a dog person). My ex ended up with the dog after our break up and I am still trying to find a way to get him back. I would give up my entire collection to have him. If you aren't a dog person (or an animal person), I get it. But seriously that is kind of messed up. Dood probably beat his dog if he would give it up for a video game system.

And that stuff may not be "worth" more than the dog, as pure bred dogs are not fucking cheap, especially if he has the papers for it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that you miss your dog, but that doesn't mean that someone is evil for trying to get something in exchange for their pet. Is it wrong to sell a puppy?

[quote name='ZombieToast']Monetarily, yes, some dogs are worth more than a console. We used to have an $800 dog, so I know how unnecessarily expensive they can be. But to me personally, a console is worth (or should be worth) a hell of a lot more than some dog. Clearly I'm not a dog person, but even when it comes to animals I do like, I still don't find it disgusting. It's a little weird maybe, but it's no worse than trying to sell a pet, which is a rather common practice. Sometimes people realize that they don't enjoy the animal or it's too much of a responsibility or they are simply unable to keep it for some reason...it's much easier to just give the animal away, but it's not so unorthodox to hope for something in return.[/QUOTE]
There's two things that bother me about the CL ads from people who are either moving into a place where they can't take their dog or just don't want it anymore but 'want it to go to a good home'.

1. How does the person giving up their dog know it's going to good home? I'm willing to bet they don't do their homework 9 times outta 10 and the dog ends up in a place where it's either abused(or worse).

2. Adopting(or buying) a dog is a responsibility. You are responsible for the life/care of that being on this Earth. By being able to give up or trying to sell the animal that you claim to care for so easily, that proves that you're an irresponsible/immature piece of human filth and don't deserve to ever know the unconditional love that these animals give so freely ever again.

You don't buy or adopt a dog(or other animals/pets) and then simply give it up because it's no long convenient for you.

This is what pissed me off when I heard the backstory behind our current dog that we adopted about two years ago from the local SPCA. He belonged to a married couple and they were getting a divorce and NEITHER PERSON wanted him.:roll: Why bother having a pet if it's just a possession to you that you can easily give up?:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

Of course, he has a loving home now, so that's all that matters. He will be treasured and loved until the day he leaves us, upon which we'll openly cry like we just lost a long time member of our family(because we will have:cry:).

Unfortunately in the eyes of the law, animals are treated as possessions and assigned only an arbitrary monetary value. When they are abused, maimed or killed the people who commit those crimes are given a proverbial slap on the wrist and a paltry fine.:roll:

It's ridiculous to me.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a topic that just annoys me to no end.

They never seem to have the Mclaren speakers for sale by me, it's always kinetic brand.

Someone's trying to get $700 for these POS speakers.
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/ele/3015968859.html

I also hate seeing people regularly post their 61", 73", and 82" DLP tvs for sale for $400-700 more than what it costs brand new at many places. I have posted links before (so no one pays such a ridiculous price), and the postings end up getting removed.

How many of these are really legit?

PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE DOWNSIZING OR MOVING

Date: 2012-05-14, 6:27PM PDT
Reply to:
IF YOU ARE DOWNSIZING OR MOVING

Please contact me if you have items you would like to go to someone in need. I help people in need and can have the items picked up from you.

Thank you so much for reading.

Please call me at

Thank you!

Lisa

Girl Baby clothes and furniture needed (Beaumont)

Date: 2012-05-17, 7:42AM PDT
Reply to:
If some body has baby clothes 0-6 months,for a ( Girl) i could use them for my grand baby,i don't have much money so i was hoping some one could just give them to me for free,we need baby furniture to any thing will help.we don't have much of any thing,i lost my job,and i am try to get another job,but right know it is hard to find work ,thank you and god bless (760) we really need a roll away bed in good condition or a twin bed or even bunk beds and boy's 14 to 16 pants and shirts

can someone help donate babygirl stuff (yucaipa)

Date: 2012-05-16, 5:01PM PDT
Reply to:
Young mother pregnant with a
Babygirl in need of free baby items such as newborn clothes size newborn and 1 diapers baby swing baby moniter etc im due jun 3 and have no money I was laid off work due to pregnancy complications and disability has not yet approved me so I need help im willing to work for the stuff babysitting etc I do have experience with kids ......a family donated a pack and play so thats about all i have and a couple outfits a very nice lady donated , but as my due date gets closer i get more stressed , i had planned to work a little longer and be able to buy my daughter what was needed but unfortunatly it didnt work out that way please do not get back to me with rude comments i am a mom that is just trying to get back on her feet also please do not email me asking for sexual favors as i am a decent young lady so please dont write to me dumb things god bless

You know, I wonder how many of these are scams. It sucks because I am sure there are genuine people in need, but at the same time, I have heard of stories where people as for stuff for free to resell at swapmeets.

xbox 360 slim 4GB kinect ready - $200 (Moreno valley)

Date: 2012-05-18, 9:54AM PDT
Reply to:
I have a xbox 360 slim 4GB Kinect ready!!! with one controller comes withs video and audio cables and power supply it works great!!! no physical damage.

5N75If5R53E63Le3J4c5b3602b35f7b561323.jpg

Used console at a new price? YES PLEASE!

[quote name='wugenius']xbox 360 slim 4GB kinect ready - $200 (Moreno valley)

Reply to:
I have a xbox 360 slim 4GB Kinect ready!!! with one controller comes withs video and audio cables and power supply it works great!!! no physical damage.

5N75If5R53E63Le3J4c5b3602b35f7b561323.jpg

Used console at a new price? YES PLEASE![/QUOTE]

But derez no taxez. ;)

This one cracked me up..."more [games] will be included as im still downloading them"

Modded SEGA DREAMCAST With TONS Of GAMES Trade for - $120 (Philadelphia)

Date: 2012-05-17, 3:02PM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
Have a Sega Dreamcast modded in VERY GOOD CONDITION for its age. Comes with 1 controller with all original wiring for immediate hook up as well as a blue vmu with original packaging. Included also is 30+ games ranging from Sports, Fighting, Adventure games etc....more will be included as im still downloading them.

Looking for a T-mobile or AT&T android device or looking to sale.

215-500-8542

[quote name='wugenius']xbox 360 slim 4GB kinect ready - $200 (Moreno valley)

Reply to:

[photo of said deal]

Used console at a new price? YES PLEASE![/QUOTE]

he does include a limited edition RED xbox 360 controller with the plug and play kit...and dere is no taxez too. no physical damage...but you'd might be mentally damaged if you think this is a good deal. hahahaaa.

Was looking to get a 360 slim off craigs list (4 gig model) and found one for a decent price. Emailed them, and got this back:

Hi

Someone just bought this from me, but I can tell you where I got it from.
I just picked up 4 of these from bidznow.com and I resold them on here for some extra money.

Since the site is new there are no people online, so none is bidding, its like christmas all over. The trick is to bid right when the counter hits 3 seconds and you win every time.

Regards

Freaking douchebags.

Wait who said "Freaking douchebags" you, or him?

That would be a weird name to use like a love letter.
I love you.

Sincerely,

Freaking Douchebags

So I assume you typed Freaking Douchebags not him.

Honestly I don't see why's a douchebag though, he found a legit way to get the console. I mean if nobody is bidding on them and he's winning them cheap good for him. Nobody would get mad if he did that on Ebay. But honestly I don't know why he decided to share that with you, I wouldn't of told you. :p

The Legend of Zelda SNES Cart Only- $35 (Escondido)

Date: 2012-05-18, 12:57PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

A young boy named Link leaves home on a stormy night to find and rescue Princess Zelda. You might have heard this story before, but this time saving the princess is only the beginning of the adventure. . .

Taking full advantage of the Super Nintendo hardware, The Legend of Zelda: A link to The Past has many surprises in store for the player. This installment introduced several elements of the Zelda series that can still be found in the latest episodes, and is considered by many as one of the best chapters in the series.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/vgm/3023695072.html

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Wait who said "Freaking douchebags" you, or him?

That would be a weird name to use like a love letter.

So I assume you typed Freaking Douchebags not him.

Honestly I don't see why's a douchebag though, he found a legit way to get the console. I mean if nobody is bidding on them and he's winning them cheap good for him. Nobody would get mad if he did that on Ebay. But honestly I don't know why he decided to share that with you, I wouldn't of told you. :p[/QUOTE]

That would be funny. No it wasn't them, I called them douchebags.

And they are douchebags because they probably never had the 360 to begin with. This is spam to get me to go to this website where you have to PAY to bid. It's a scam. I replied almost immediately. And got almost an immediate response with this. Seriously, if this were legit, I would not tell anyone about it either unless I knew them.

Oh gotcha I understand now. :p

Yeah I've seen ads that are too good to be true and emailed them and it was spam, then I saw a 360 elite for $100 modded, with Rock Band. (whien Rock Band was still it) And I emailed him thinking it was probably a scam I was like "this is probably a scam because of your price, but I would be interested etc..." And he replied like "scam? This isn't a scam at all" Sure enough went over and it was legit and I sold Rock Band for $60 back on Craigslist so I got a modded Elite 360 for $40. :p

Ok maybe they're including abunch of games and stuff to make this, err, I guess reasonable. But I no way of knowing this according to their craigslist post.

O8LS2.png

That was the retail price when Wii launched in 2006. :applause:

Yeah,
here is another post I found regarding this:

Iphone buyers BEAWARE zBiddyDiscount.com OR Bidznow.com....SCAM!

Date: 2012-04-27, 11:30PM EDT
Reply to: see below
BIGGEST SCAM ON THE NET.
PLEASE GOOGLE SEARCH THOSE SITES AND FIND OUT.

YOU HAVE TO BUY TO BID...
YOU HAVE TO REGISTER AND PROVIDE CREDIT CARDS#,
AFTER THAT, THEY KEEP CHARGING YOUR CREDIT CARD.
ANYWAY, DON'T TRUST ANYONE WHO TRY TO SELL YOU CHEAP PHONE AND TOLD YOU "IT IS SOLD" AND ADVISED
YOU TO GO TO THOSE SITES TO BUY FOR CHEAP....
GOOGLE SEARCH ABOUT IT....
THEY ARE SCAM!
BIGGEST SCAM ON THE NET EVER.
BEWARE (IPHONE, IPAD, COMPUTER, IPOD LAPTOP AND ALL KINDS YOU NAME IT) INCLUDED ALL ELECTRONIC...

Damn scammers.

I used to work in a call center where we relayed deaf peoples calls. What that means is they have a typing machine hooked up to their phone and they type to us and we speak to their caller for them. It was ran by Sprint, and then Sprint came up with the genius idea of doing a website. Well you didn't have to prove you were deaf to go on that site anyone could go on it. So the scammers from Africa use it all the time to try to scam America businesses where they would send a check for more than something they're buying and ask for the remaining money back, but then the check never cleared, and we had to speak for the scammers LOL. Not to mention people go on that website and use it to prank call their friends or enemies and you have to speak for them even if they say "I'm gonna kill you" or "I want to f*** you in the ass" You can't interfere in the call so you have to say whatever's typed, no matter what it is. Lamest job I ever had.

[quote name='coleridge']This one cracked me up..."more [games] will be included as im still downloading them"[/QUOTE]
I love the Dreamcast and all, but this guy's crazy. I remember when these were $60 at Circuit City and they still weren't selling.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Oh gotcha I understand now. :p[/QUOTE]
If you go back two or three pages, we were actually discussing the exact same e-mail.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Damn scammers.

I used to work in a call center where we relayed deaf peoples calls. What that means is they have a typing machine hooked up to their phone and they type to us and we speak to their caller for them. It was ran by Sprint, and then Sprint came up with the genius idea of doing a website. Well you didn't have to prove you were deaf to go on that site anyone could go on it. So the scammers from Africa use it all the time to try to scam America businesses where they would send a check for more than something they're buying and ask for the remaining money back, but then the check never cleared, and we had to speak for the scammers LOL. Not to mention people go on that website and use it to prank call their friends or enemies and you have to speak for them even if they say "I'm gonna kill you" or "I want to f*** you in the ass" You can't interfere in the call so you have to say whatever's typed, no matter what it is. Lamest job I ever had.[/QUOTE]
I think I used that site the one time to talk to some chick in CA or something from AOL.:lol:

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Damn scammers.

I used to work in a call center where we relayed deaf peoples calls. What that means is they have a typing machine hooked up to their phone and they type to us and we speak to their caller for them. It was ran by Sprint, and then Sprint came up with the genius idea of doing a website. Well you didn't have to prove you were deaf to go on that site anyone could go on it. So the scammers from Africa use it all the time to try to scam America businesses where they would send a check for more than something they're buying and ask for the remaining money back, but then the check never cleared, and we had to speak for the scammers LOL. Not to mention people go on that website and use it to prank call their friends or enemies and you have to speak for them even if they say "I'm gonna kill you" or "I want to f*** you in the ass" You can't interfere in the call so you have to say whatever's typed, no matter what it is. Lamest job I ever had.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit I've played with sprint relay for fun.

Having the operators talk dirty or ask Mcdonalds to deliver me some big macs was pretty amusing.

http://tricities.craigslist.org/vgm/3025275846.html

1 Nintendo 64 System with Expansion pack, 4 controllers 2 grey and 2 translucent purple 1 Memory Card. Games are as follows: Perfect Dark x2, Turok 2 x2, Pokemon Stadium, Turok, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Goldeneye, South Park, Hexen, Armymen Sarge's Heroes, Doom, Star Fox, NFL Quarterback club 99, WcW Vs NWO World Tour, Triple Play 2000, Winback, Biofreaks, Starwars Episode I Racer, Excitebike, Bomberman 64, NBA Hangtime, Rampage 2, Wayne Gretzky's 3d hockey, Monopoly, Quest 64, Duke Nukem, WWF Attitude, Mario 64, Starwars Shadows of the Empire, Killer Instinct Gold, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 with case and book. Asking $400 O.B.R.O. text 4234402759 Thanks for Looking

Unless one of these is much rarer than I ever imagined...

[quote name='Ramandur']http://tricities.craigslist.org/vgm/3025275846.html

1 Nintendo 64 System with Expansion pack, 4 controllers 2 grey and 2 translucent purple 1 Memory Card. Games are as follows: Perfect Dark x2, Turok 2 x2, Pokemon Stadium, Turok, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Goldeneye, South Park, Hexen, Armymen Sarge's Heroes, Doom, Star Fox, NFL Quarterback club 99, WcW Vs NWO World Tour, Triple Play 2000, Winback, Biofreaks, Starwars Episode I Racer, Excitebike, Bomberman 64, NBA Hangtime, Rampage 2, Wayne Gretzky's 3d hockey, Monopoly, Quest 64, Duke Nukem, WWF Attitude, Mario 64, Starwars Shadows of the Empire, Killer Instinct Gold, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 with case and book. Asking $400 O.B.R.O. text 4234402759 Thanks for Looking

Unless one of these is much rarer than I ever imagined...[/QUOTE]

I think anything much over $100 there would of been pushing it, a lot of games but they're N64 with no boxes or instructions. You should emal him a congrats that he's an idiot and that his post is being discussed in a "Craigslist stupidity" thread. ;)

I've wanted to do that since I discovered this thread, yes it's petty, but I'm petty.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']I think anything much over $100 there would of been pushing it, a lot of games but they're N64 with no boxes or instructions. You should emal him a congrats that he's an idiot and that his post is being discussed in a "Craigslist stupidity" thread. ;)

I've wanted to do that since I discovered this thread, yes it's petty, but I'm petty.[/QUOTE]

I flagged his post and sent him an email offering $200. I don't even live anywhere close to that area.

Inviting him to the stupidity thread would be hilarious.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']I'm going to outbid you, I'm offering him $600.[/QUOTE]

We should post his replies to our generous offers here in the thread.

If you send him a $600 offer, he'll probably jizz himself.

I still remember when someone from my own area posted a really ridiculous ad up on CL here. I posted it here and then somehow that poster found out I cut/pasted it here. They sent me an internet toughie email saying they were gonna sue me for posting their ad here and blah blah blah.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I still remember when someone from my own area posted a really ridiculous ad up on CL here. I posted it here and then somehow that poster found out I cut/pasted it here. They sent me an internet toughie email saying they were gonna sue me for posting their ad here and blah blah blah.[/QUOTE]

Interesting would be there anything against the law by posting their ads here?

Is there something in the Craigslist rules that disallows reposting ads?

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Interesting would be there anything against the law by posting their ads here?

Is there something in the Craigslist rules that disallows reposting ads?[/QUOTE]

I can't see why, since it's posted online where anyone could see.

bread's done
Back