Your biggest let-down this gen?

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Fable. Great game, but didn't deliver on half of what was promised. Hopefully 2 changes that.[/quote]

Yeah, my answer too. That's why I bought an Xbox but that game bit it.

Super Mario Sunshine
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Psychonauts
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

None of these games were bad per se, but they didn't live up to my expectations.

Since everyone else is having multiple games on their lists, I'd like to add to the list:

Originally posted: Valkyrie Profile 2
Additions:
Star Ocean 3
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Kingdom Hearts
Shadow Hearts 3

Definately X-2... I wasn't a huge fan of X either, but it at least kept my interest.

To put something that I don't think was mentioned so much I'd add LOTR Two Towers, it's the only one of the series I played, and frankly I'm glad I only payed like $5 for it. But that was after reading tons of glowing reviews.

As for halo 2, the single player wasn't as good as in halo 1, but I still enjoyed it, and legendary on co-op lived up to its name for once (we still beat it though)

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Everything was fine until Raiden showed up
Zone of the Enders - I mostly bought this for the MGS2 demo. The game itself wasn't bad, but it was a huge let-down and left a lot to be desired
Enter the Matrix - a victim of the hype machine
Devil May Cry 2 - A poor follow up to its predecessor

As far as big scope things, Sega and the DC going down the drain is a big letdown. As far as an individual game, that's easy. Wind Waker was a huge letdown. It was pretty, it had a good battle engine(which was unfortunately negated by how easy the game was), but other than that, it was complete crap.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Zone of the Enders - I mostly bought this for the MGS2 demo. The game itself wasn't bad, but it was a huge let-down and left a lot to be desired[/quote]Please tell me you played Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner.

Fable- Had such high hopes for this as I think everyone else did as well. Really bummed me out it didn't live up to what I had imagined it.

Halo 1- I played it first when it came to the PC so I was expecting some awesome game with all the hype surrounding it. Ughh, Half Life 1 beat it hands down with everything but graphics. Overhyped! And it sounds like Halo 2 is even worse.

FFX- I never even finished it. How in the hell do they breath underwater anyway, I don't think that was ever explained. Ughh, I just hated this FF. FF8 was even better than this.

Knights of the Old Republic 2- Wow, goes to show you what can happen when they rush a great game out. Broken story, unfinished worlds, plots unresolved and a broken ending. Thanks a lot there Lucas Arts for rushing that! Good job!

Nintendo's outlook for online play on the cube. I can only imagine how amazing it would have been to play Double Dash online...

It really pushed me away from Nintendo this past gen...

[quote name='Z-Saber']Please tell me you played Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner.[/quote]

No I haven't but I plan to. I've heard lots of good things about it.

[quote name='Purple Flames']No I haven't but I plan to. I've heard lots of good things about it.[/quote]It overshadows the original with prejudice. Quite simply the best mech game of any type ever.

Luigi's Mansion
Lunar Dragon Song
Mario Kart Double Dash - Extremely hyped, turned out to be the worst Mario Kart ever.
New Super Mario Bros.
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Super Mario Sunshine -Extremely hyped, turned out to be the worst Mario ever
Wave Race Blue Storm

I know there's more, but that's all I can think of for now. Most of the stuff is Nintendo first party games, since many of them disappointed me this generation, which is why my interest for the Wii is at the bottom.

Fable - Peter Molyneux hyped this up way too much before it was released, so I'm not listening to him about Fable 2 this time around. It's still a good game, but I wanted the hyped version.

VF4: Evolution - Removed my favorite feature from the original (AI) for not much new stuff.

Crazy Taxi 3 - Not bad, but the first two games that are included are hard to perform Crazy moves with the Controller S.

Controller S - I heard nothing but good things about the controller before I got an Xbox, but it's not that good. The triggers are horribly-placed, the black and white buttons are awkwardly-placed, and the d-pad sucks.

Shenmue 2 (DC) - One of my most anticipated DC games cancelled and moved to the Xbox weeks before it was to be released in the US. It kind of just kicked you in the nuts as the DC was winding down.

Kirby (GC) - Even though this hasn't been released yet, that's kind of the reason why it's such a let down. We haven't seen a console Kirby game yet and it'll be a fucking shame if it gets moved to the Wii or just cancelled.

Final Fantasy: CC and Legend of Zelda: Four Swords - The connectivity requirement to play these games in multiplayer extremely limits the potential appeal that these games could've had. Not everyone has three friends with GBA's and the right cable, so it's too expensive of a game for them.

My biggest let-downs would have to be

F Zero GX
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

I was really excited when I bought these games and played both for less than 2 hours each.

Ooo, also forgot about Chain of Memories. First time around I loathed it and quit on Riku's playthrough. I picked it up again earlier in the year (during the pre-KH2 hype) and liked it a little better, but not enough to play it again.

Wow, this thread exploded.

I'll second all the people who talked about Sega's demise, though I don't think they went from being a top game maker to Activision-quality just with DC. It had been a fairly steady decline--their highlight was defintiely the Genesis era. It's sad, at one point I did own all the Sega systems, but most everything was so... medicore, that I've sold them all save for the Genesis. The last Sega-made game that I enjoyed? Sonic Rush. On a console? Maybe Sonic Adventure 2 (which wasn't without its grevious faults either... HATED the emerald hunting). The continued whoring of Sonic into horrible, horrible games irks me. Sonic Heroes was perhaps the worst game I played all generation (Azurik on Xbox not withstanding). *sigh*

I'm also gonna go with the era of exclusive sports contracts. The world is better with competition--when only one company is allowed to make a game for a certain sport, medicority is bound to be rampant.

Also, the rise of the fanboys. This really has more to do with the internet than the systems/games themselves, but gamers-with-blinders-on always annoy me. I just want to slap people and say, "You game/console of choice is great if you enjoy it, but it's not the only game/console available nor is it the only one with positive aspects. Chill." Luckily, CAG tends to be much broader in its users' scope than most places.

Xenosaga 2

WTF happened

God Dammit

I remember everyone bashing it, and it starts pretty badass and I'm like what a bunch of rubes, then I get to the beach and I'm like oh...

FFX-2 was kind of a let down partly due to length. i finished in 25 hours. and the last boss was ridiculously easy.

i thought kingdom hearts was quite good, i just finished it yesterday. i went in skeptical and hating it at first though, damned fetching and gummi ship.

heroes V demo convinced me the full game would suck. heroes III for life.

half life 2 for PC actually kind of let me down. it's an awesome game, but i still wasn't wowed as much as i thought i would.

[quote name='camoor']Xenosaga 2

WTF happened

God Dammit

I remember everyone bashing it, and it starts pretty badass and I'm like what a bunch of rubes, then I get to the beach and I'm like oh...[/quote]

is it worth playing at all?

Jade Empire

I played this turd for 9 hours straight. Ugly as hell, didn't give a damn about the story, and I hated the battle system. I'm just glad I got almost all of my money back from selling it. Fable may be shorter, and missing some of the stuff that Molyneux talked about, but it absolutely KILLS this game.

Suikoden III - If parts one and two were like riding a horse in regards to the pace of it's battles, then part III is like walking around town. It's such a shame too, since the story is good. But even a good story can't save bad gameplay.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Luigi's Mansion
Lunar Dragon Song
Mario Kart Double Dash - Extremely hyped, turned out to be the worst Mario Kart ever.
New Super Mario Bros.
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Super Mario Sunshine -Extremely hyped, turned out to be the worst Mario ever
Wave Race Blue Storm

I know there's more, but that's all I can think of for now. Most of the stuff is Nintendo first party games, since many of them disappointed me this generation, which is why my interest for the Wii is at the bottom.[/QUOTE]

Quoted since this is basically my same opinion as well. My god was Lunar DS teh suck.

im going to go with a very early title

the bouncer

i had very high hopes for this game as i am a huge fan of old school brawlers and for the most part like square games, and this was one of my most anticipated titles when the ps2 came out. i had kept track of it for months, my buddy picked it up at launch... and now i havent played it in 6 years.

Every Star Fox game.

Halo- I bought an Xbox because of this game...wow...what a huge letdown. Luckily Ninja Gaiden made up for it along with KOTOR...and the fact that I ended up selling my Xbox for more than I paid for it :D

fable.... when i finished it in under 10 hours i couldn't believe it..... they should have held back and had more content from the start.

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe people think Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 are disappointments... those are the two best games of this generation and stand up to the best games ever made, IMO.

I was disappointed with Super Mario Sunshine even though I think it is a really really good game - I had Mario 64 sized hopes for it...[/quote]

I was going to make this post too, but I DON'T think Sunshine is a good game...

[quote name='crazytalkx']Quoted since this is basically my same opinion as well. My god was Lunar DS teh suck.[/QUOTE]It was one of the DS games I wanted most. I absolutely loved Lunar 1 and 2, and thought the reviewers were crazy for the review they gave the game. Until I played it myself, and realized how bad it was, and this is coming from someone who likes most every RPG. Can't believe I wasted $30 on it (I was desperate for a DS RPG though).

More let downs I just thought of
Blinx 2 (I was one of the few who liked the first Blinx, but I didn't like the 2nd at all)
Crazy Taxi 2 (loved the first one, but 2nd wasn't fun)
Crazy Taxi 3 (hoping it would get better, but nope)
Dino Crisis 3 (Most wanted Xbox game for a long time, and the game wasn't as good as I thought. Still like it better than most)
House of the Dead III (The game was still a little fun, but it didn't have as much content as HotD2)
Sega GT 2002 (I thought the first was decent, but just needed to be refined. I found the controls to be awful, where even the demo played better).
Time Stalkers (looked like a cool RPG in screenshots, but it had so many problems)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It was one of the DS games I wanted most. I absolutely loved Lunar 1 and 2, and thought the reviewers were crazy for the review they gave the game. Until I played it myself, and realized how bad it was, and this is coming from someone who likes most every RPG. Can't believe I wasted $30 on it (I was desperate for a DS RPG though).

More let downs I just thought of
Blinx 2 (I was one of the few who liked the first Blinx, but I didn't like the 2nd at all)
Crazy Taxi 2 (loved the first one, but 2nd wasn't fun)
Crazy Taxi 3 (hoping it would get better, but nope)
Dino Crisis 3 (Most wanted Xbox game for a long time, and the game wasn't as good as I thought. Still like it better than most)
House of the Dead III (The game was still a little fun, but it didn't have as much content as HotD2)
Sega GT 2002 (I thought the first was decent, but just needed to be refined. I found the controls to be awful, where even the demo played better).
Time Stalkers (looked like a cool RPG in screenshots, but it had so many problems)[/quote]

Not that it was my biggest dissapointment but the xbox sucked and i like how the majority of the games on your list are xbox. my biggest dissapointment was probably wave race blue storm, Cause i regard the N64 version as the best racer ever.

For me it was FFX-2 (I attempted to like this game , but I HATED it!)
in a way resident evil 4, It's one of my all time favs, but the story line sucked!(gameplay makes up for it ten fold)
Also that beyond good & Evil won't see a sequal....

There was not alot I was disapointed in this gen, because I try to not get too hyped up about games in general. I always take a reviewer's review of a game with a grain of salt, I always read the review , instead of going for the overall score.

And I know by now that when most games/systems are announced/front page artical in game informer/insert game mag/website here.

I know that by time that game ships it will, most likely be a diffrent game than what was promised.

And sometimes that can be a good thing.

FFX-2 : Had heard it was kinda girly, but wow, it's just crap

KH : Everyone praises it, but why? It's a mediocre game, nothing more

RE4/DMC3 : Not sure what's so special about these games...

Suikoden V : A return to the classics? Hardly...dull, boring, and the EASIEST game I've ever played.

-Beyond Good and Evil's poor sales. Ancel cancelling the planned trilogy.
-Ubisoft promoting BG&E at around the same time as Prince of Persia 1.
-Fable. Had high hopes for this one, didn't live up to them at all.
-The death of the Dreamcast. I loved my 2-D fighters.
-PSP. The lack of original/interesting software. Too many ports.
-Halo 2. Bought it because of all the rave reviews. Bored to death.
-Star Fox Assault. Was hoping for a revival of the old, but was let down.
-Silent Hill 4. Really stale compared to the rest of the series.
-Final Fantasy X + X2.
-Kingdom Hearts. I really wanted to like it, but the camera was god awful
-Lack of good fighting games (2D/3D) in the U.S

Silent Hill 4 crushed me. Each one has improved on the series, and part 4 just mucked things up horribly. Henry has got to be the worst main character I've ever seen in a serious game. I never learned a damn thing about him, cept that he likes photos? The tie in with 2 was so low, and I had ungodly high hopes for that, I REALLY,REALLY did! God I so wanted to like it, but I don't have many postive things to say about it.

I'm one of the very few that liked FFX-2. I loved the gameplay and some missions, like the math cube thing at the festival. The plot itself was horrible, but gameplay wise I did have a blast.

Shadow Hearts 3 was a complete letdown...I FAQ'd my way through the end, and was left with nothing even remotely close to 2's greatness.

Gungrave OD had much better gameplay, but lacked the original's style greatly, which hurt it bigtime.

SLAI...I'm still mad about it. Incredibly difficult and the music was terrible. I so loved the original, still bummed about it.

Super Mario Sunshine - just plain blew

Wind Waker - beautiful graphics couldn't save this flawed adventure game that was more annoying than fun.

10. Castlevania: LoI and CoD - IGA's developmental weakness incarnate

9. Kirby Air Ride - the first Kirby game I loathed

8. Metroid Prime 2 - the first ruled, but this was deja-freakin'-vu

7. Zelda: Wind Waker - had huge hopes, but couldn't get into it

6. Silent Hill 2/3/4 - played and disliked all of these. Still haven't played 1

5. Shadow of the Colossus - awful camera, lots of boring travel

4. Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness - remember when this was to be Lara's comeback?

3. Final Fantasy XI - screw MMOs

2. WW II FPS - please make them stop!

1. That so many gamers only buy GTAs and Maddens, and awesome innovative titles like Psychonauts and Okami get ignored.

[quote name='captainfrizo'] Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - while not a bad game, it didn't seem as big of an upgrade over the first. The abilty to make your followers turn good or bad was vastly overplayed in the advertising; it really didn't make that much of an impact in game.[/QUOTE]
If it was still from Bioware with an 18-month dev cycle, it obviously would have crushed. But, for coming from a totally different developer, with just a year to put it out, I think it did an admirable job.

Well, I just shelved Baiten Kaitos:Origins, since they took a fun and quick battle system from part one, and turned it into clunky tedium.

Star Ocean 3 was just completely horrible. In, well just about every way.

Star Fox this generation. All of it.

Turok Evolution.

[quote name='Z-Saber']SLAI... not an acronym I readily recognize.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the hell he's talking about either.

Another game that disapointed me was Shin Megami Tensai:Nocturne. I did not get it when it came out, then I ended up picking it up from a friend of a friend much down the line. I always wanted to play it, hearing it was fun. Then I played it, thought it was retarted so I sold it. I did end up getting more than I bought it for though, so that worked out for me.

I picked up Killer 7 thinking it looked awesome, I just could NOT get into it at all. It had neat things about it, and makes me want Capcom to make a gunshooter game(like Virtua Cop), but Killer 7 itself was a letdown for me.

And is there anyone else besides me who did not care for Beyond Good and Evil. It was decent but I thought it was average at best.

Whoops, I forgot to put Silent Hill 4 on my list.

Terrible, terrible game.. Konami should be ashamed of themselves. The first time I played it (with high hopes) I got so frustrated with it half-way, I had to force myself to finish it, which rarely happens. I remember that the story was lackluster, there wasn't any character development (there can't be when characters die within minutes), the controls were completely awkward and it just wasn't fun. Ghosts constantly coming through the walls and chasing you to the end of the earth and back? Cheap level design where the entire second half of the game consists of driving through the same boring levels you went through the first half (only with some stupid ditz following you around)?

It tries to bombard you with constant action which IMO is not what this series is known for, it's scares/atmosphere. While the other 3 games held true to this formula, the only thing even remotely scary about SH4 is that I paid for it.

Starfox Adventures easily takes the cake. At least Assault has ship combat, doesn't it? If you never played Adventures, count your blessings.

Stretch Panic
- The only reason I tried to like it was that it was Treasure, and in the end, even that wasn't enough.

Zelda Wind Waker - Basically everything bad about Zelda is magnified and everything good is too far and few in between. Zelda should not be so tedious.

Metroid Prime 2 - Well, not just 2. I thought MP was really good at making Metroid 3D, but was tedious and empty and a lot less fun than it should have been. I played MP2 for about half an hour and just could not keep playing it. My exact words were "I can't do this again."

Gamecube

I've played it at least a certain amount but it is easily the current gen system I use the least. I guess that's what I get for buying a console for 1 launch title (Rogue Squadron) and just assuming I'd find games to play along the way. It definetly taught me to be more cautious about my console purchases in the future.

[quote name='Z-Saber']SLAI... not an acronym I readily recognize.[/quote]

Haha, don't blame you for not knowing. Steel Lancer Arena International Ps2, sequel to Phantom Crash on Xbox.

1.) Super Mario Sunshine - disgusting

2.) GameCube - which hasn't been touched since Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7... and before that? Only God knows (and I've had it since launch)

This ones easy:

The Sonic the Hedgehog serries

I did like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on the DC, but those games aged so poorly. Sonic Heros is horrible. I just got Shadow the Hedgehog and have not played it yet, but Sonic with guns? Come on Sega.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Gamecube

I've played it at least a certain amount but it is easily the current gen system I use the least. I guess that's what I get for buying a console for 1 launch title (Rogue Squadron) and just assuming I'd find games to play along the way. It definetly taught me to be more cautious about my console purchases in the future.[/QUOTE]

Damn it, you took my answer.

My Gamecube hasn't been plugged in since Resident Evil 4 came out.

This is the main reason I'm waiting on the Wii, I wasn't a fan of the direction the N64 or GC went in and I need to see for myself if history is going to repeat itself for me.

1. Brute Force(Xbox)
2. Advent Rising(Xbox)
3. Every Wrestling game on the Xbox
4. Shinobi(PS2)
5. The Bouncer(PS2)
6. Every non-exclusive 3rd Party GCN title.
7. EA's Online servers
8. Porting Old PC games to the Xbox, PS2 as new titles.. i.e. Mafia, Unreal 2
9. Lack of Japanese influenced games on the Xbox.
10. Death of the Dreamcast

[quote name='Rags']

I liked the battle system in Final Fantasy X2, the outfit system was cool. BUT, why did I have to see the outfit change clip everytime? Why was I unable to skip that? Other than the battle system with outfit thing going on, that game was crap. And to attatch itself to a great game like FFX was lame.
It was a pimple on the ass of FFX.
[/quote]
You could skip them, it was a setting in the options menu. You watch it the first time and never have to watch it again. I'm using that setting right now during my New Game+.

For me: The Halos and GTAs. I heard so much about them, and once I bought them, they were definitly Meh-worthy. Halo was bland, and the GTA's were tedious, buggy, and repetitive.

Now wait just a goddamn minute...
Resident Evil 4

Normally, I'd say it everyone has an opinion, but this is ridiculous. How you can't recognize this as a pinnacle in gaming, I don't know. At least respect that RE4's gameplay is above that of 99.9% of other video games.

bread's done
Back