Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

I know how you feel. These are some* of my unsorted games. Each box holds 11 DVD cases, 17 DS cases, or 15 blus/ps3.

I5KkyCQ.jpg

Yeah that looks about right for me too. Oh well I'll deal with it when I'm done moving....more just asking myself why I did that to myself/venting at this thread

Currently looking at a new house, if so I'll have a larger finished basement. My collection isn't even half as big as most of yours, but I really like those shelves. What type of shelves are those that fill up the entire wall? Is it something you guys buy or make? Or maybe a mix of thy e two? Would like to get part of a wall to be full of shelves.

Also I have some retail store video game cages? from the local Kmart getting rid of them. I have 3, they have a metal frame with a cage top(theres also a holder for the display insets), they have a bottom and sliding glass doors. From what I can tell, they don't have a back or shelving, and possibly don't have sides. Any crafty CAG have any ideas to use these? They are basically what goes around the gaming shelves are a retail store.

I also have many display inserts, everything from Playstation(ps1, ps2, ps3), Nintendo(Wii, WiiU, 3ds), and some games(spyro, gameday, twisted metal). These cases have a ton of potential, but I'm unsure of how to use them. Was thinking about building backs for them, then I could attach shelves to the back. Maybe get glass/plexiglass shelves or something?

Currently looking at a new house, if so I'll have a larger finished basement. My collection isn't even half as big as most of yours, but I really like those shelves. What type of shelves are those that fill up the entire wall? Is it something you guys buy or make? Or maybe a mix of thy e two? Would like to get part of a wall to be full of shelves.

Also I have some retail store video game cages? from the local Kmart getting rid of them. I have 3, they have a metal frame with a cage top(theres also a holder for the display insets), they have a bottom and sliding glass doors. From what I can tell, they don't have a back or shelving, and possibly don't have sides. Any crafty CAG have any ideas to use these? They are basically what goes around the gaming shelves are a retail store.

I also have many display inserts, everything from Playstation(ps1, ps2, ps3), Nintendo(Wii, WiiU, 3ds), and some games(spyro, gameday, twisted metal). These cases have a ton of potential, but I'm unsure of how to use them. Was thinking about building backs for them, then I could attach shelves to the back. Maybe get glass/plexiglass shelves or something?
These are what most of us use:

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-38435715-Oskar-1080-Media/dp/B0058O8GWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452717742&sr=8-1&keywords=oskar+1080

They had a redesign, so the base plate may be different if it is old stock. I believe they went as low as $30 at BB. I have 3 of them and they would look pretty good in a line.

I use the Elfa (modular) system from Container Store -- 12' wide, probably 9' fall. They can be about any width/height, and their software doesn't support 12'. I calculated on paper.

There are cheaper versions from Lowes etc, but they also seem to bow more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how you feel. These are some* of my unsorted games. Each box holds 11 DVD cases, 17 DS cases, or 15 blus/ps3.

I5KkyCQ.jpg
How do u keep your stuff clean from dust?

Anyway, picked up some stuff today.

A power player joystick thing, a black butler buckle down belt, and gucci shoes.

My collection is small comparing to others here

http://imgur.com/a/T2o6Y/layout/horizontal#0 (42 pics, not mobile friendly!)

There are the pics. Every year I keep saying I gonna get a new place and move these but they're still here, at my old room at my parents place and in the apt I've always been in. This is probably 90% of my collection. 

Rundown (pretty long): 

Pics 1-2: My sealed DS game collection. This wasn't intentional, but back in the day I got a certain device which let you play back ups, with tons of games in one small cart. So after a while, I just stopped opening my games altogether. Funny thing, and I hope this isn't b/c of environmental factors, but all of the Atlus boxed games have begun yellowing. :whistle2:(

Pics 3-7: Bulk of my sealed game collection. Most of were intentional and doubles. I wish I never started collection sealed games but oh well. I do have some neat, uncommon CEs in here like the Pokemon ones. 

Pic 8: A few more sealed games, and my SAT/Sega CD collection (all opened): I started on the SAT/SCD train late, but man, I lucked out on most of these, given how much they go for now. I pretty much stopped collection this set b/c I'm happy with what I have, though still look for a few here and there. 

Pics 9-10: These are un-cataloged games... ones I've bought but haven't found room for yet. Yes, I bought a TON of PS1 games. I haven't done any heavy PS1 collection in ages, but suddenly, a bunch of games started catching my eye... Namco Museum (still need 1, which is the easiest one to get) and a couple of shooters. 

Pics 11-13: My it doesn't fit anywhere else shelf 1, just CEs, long box games, etc. that I can't fit anywhere else, plus some guides. I hate my guides, which I never collected these, given how bad the prices on some of these crashed. 

Pics 14-15: PS3 games. I got quite a few import CEs here, nothing else worth noting here.  

Pics 16-17: Opened DS, 3DS games and Dreamcast games. Not much special here but I think my DC collection tripled since I lasted posted. 

Pics 18-19: My GC collection. I'm calling it quits here. I have all the rarer games I think... Cubivore, Gotcha Force, Prime/Wind Waker combo, and Pokemon Box (at my apartment, you'll see later). I've thought about some of the store variants (like Kmart ones with the controller/guide bundle) but decided those as they're just a stamp on the cover. Neatest item: I have a Zelda Wind Waker in a gold case, from the PAL Wind Waker CE, which I also have. :D

Pics 20-21: Wii games, and a few oversized PS2/GC games. Not much activity here. 

Pics 22-25: My Game Boy/Color collection. Every one in box and manual, most with the rest of their inserts too. Pretty pround of these as most people throw out the cases/manuals. This collection houses my most valuable game: Shantae. Also noteworthy: I found a reallly neat copy of Pokemon Emerald... it's the normal, boxed game and a case inside a bigger box. I added a few games in this set. 

Pic 26: My Game Boy Collection. Getting the GBC/GBA game complete was hard enough but these were another challenge. This is probably the most valuable sub-collection I have (as in avg value per game). I added a few here, the most notable: a complete Mega Man IV. I found it completely by chance... now if I could luck out and find a copy of Mega Man V.  

Pic 27-28: PS1 collection, this is where I started my collecting. So much RPG goodness here... as I said before, I started buying up a ton of PS1 games lately but there's no room for them here. Still have a few more to get. 

Pic 29: PC games. Most of these, I ended up re-buying during Steam sales. 

Pic 30-33: A few stragglers, XB, 360 and PSP games. My TV/systems used to be here but since I moved, I just got two small shelves and started stacking stuff here. Just like the DC, I got a TON of PSP games- the first row and most of the 2nd row (until Valkyrie Profile) are sealed. And yep, I have two Last of Us Post-Pandemic Editions... I was super stoked for this game so I pre-ordered two in case one was damaged... unfortunately both were. But fortunately, I put off returning one copy and it turned out to skyrocket on eBay. 

Pics 34-37: My second it doesn't fit anywhere else shelf, and my guides. I got a ton of rare PS1 guides and a few older ones. These I don't mind having... the rest, I could live without. 

Pic 38: Sealed Game Boy Color and Advance games. Just like my other sealed stuff, these were intentional and I now kinda wish I hadn't. 

Pics 39-40: My N64, SNES and NES games. I got into these late and I wish started earlier. So many SNES games are going for insane prices but I got a handful of good ones. Don't realy actiely collected these systems anymore. 

Pics 41-42: A few stragglers, and my PS2 games. Lots of good stuff here but nothing too special. I still need to track down a few PS2 games. 

And that's the bulk of my collection. Coming up, the rest at my apartment (not as interesting, sorry).

This is what everything looks like now.

Looks pretty much the same, but got rid of a lot of things to make more space for anime and games.

Pew pew!
I don't understand... how... you make more room. I... just don't get it, but it's fascinating.

I'm more impress by how you got all those Duracell boxes. Do you work for Duracell?

I'm more impress by how you got all those Duracell boxes. Do you work for Duracell?
Sam's Club and Costco. Sam's tends to put them by the checkouts in their box bins, so I snag a few every-time I am in there (or my parents do when they go).

Impressive collection!

Sam's Club and Costco. Sam's tends to put them by the checkouts in their box bins, so I snag a few every-time I am in there (or my parents do when they go).

Impressive collection!
I was gonna ask why you use those boxes, when there must be better boxes out there... ones with lids and the holes on the side to carry them, but I'm guessing those Duracell boxes are strong as all hell since they carry batteries.

I was gonna ask why you use those boxes, when there must be better boxes out there... ones with lids and the holes on the side to carry them, but I'm guessing those Duracell boxes are strong as all hell since they carry batteries.
They are easy to manage, stack well, work for all media (11 DVD cases, 15 blu cases, ~26 CD cases, 7 VHS tapes if you store one on top to make them stackable), and I can color code them. I only use them for stuff I intend to organize, clean, sell, trade, donate. My permanent stuff is on shelving units or in boxes. I have a lot of those sterilite 3 drawer things for hardware, but I wouldn't recommend them. Stuff still gets dirty in them. The only good solution for hardware storage are airtight plastic containers.

I also thought I was buying a 3 bedroom condo with a basement and I ended up buying a 1 bedroom (no basement), so this is the best I can do.

This is what everything looks like now.

Looks pretty much the same, but got rid of a lot of things to make more space for anime and games.

Pew pew!
I haven't been here in ages because the site has been going so slowly for me ever since they switched to forced HTTPS, but I decided to stop by and the very first thing I did was check to see if you had somehow managed to wedge more anime into your room!

Here are some pics of the main wall of my collection. Im still trying to get more shelving since I have  more than this but I'm out of room. I will also be ordering more ledges for the steelbooks to accommodate the new ones coming this year.

I currently have taken over the living room in our basement as my main game room man cave. I did get some great ideas from this thread with the baseball bat cases and picture ledges for my steel books.

[attachment=20336:20160121_171122.jpg]

[attachment=20337:20160208_121110.jpg]

[attachment=20338:20160208_121250.jpg]

[attachment=20339:20160208_121158.jpg]

They look like the baseball bat shadow boxes from Michael's. They can be had for 50% off pretty frequently, but it's still like $30.

Ikea has similar photo shelves (Ribba) for steelbooks, in various lengths.

They look like the baseball bat shadow boxes from Michael's. They can be had for 50% off pretty frequently, but it's still like $30.

Ikea has similar photo shelves (Ribba) for steelbooks, in various lengths.
They are the bat shadow boxes from Michaels and the picture ledges are from Ikea but they are Marietorp ledges not Ribba.

Figured I'd update my previous post from awhile ago, still have that one big 10' Shelf with two tiers to it and I need to get some of those media shelves. I got two coming this week, issue being my room in this house is small for all my entertainment/computer setup, so I took out my closet doors and cleaned up a lot of my closet and have more to do once I get the shelves here. Regardless this is how it looks now:

http://imgur.com/EIE8jmF

http://imgur.com/GiTE8MG

http://imgur.com/v1TOkfP

http://imgur.com/Ix2VWHy

http://imgur.com/XwK4X73

http://imgur.com/wUGCL7P

http://imgur.com/YsSLVTp

As can be seen above I plan on taking out some of the closet organizer that's in there and putting a few media shelves in there, maybe even stacking them on top of each other so I can have 4 altogether. The big shelf is messy right now and driving me nuts but between work, side coding projects and gaming I haven't had time to organize plus watching all of it.

And here's my new skin for my PS4  O:)

http://imgur.com/dDJlRIz

Recently built a new computer as seen in the picture, spent way too much on it and 34" Ultrawide FTW! Ultrawide is awesome for gaming and productivity work as well. Specs are as follows(copied from another site I'm on as I'm too lazy to type it all):

• Intel I7-5930K @ 4.5GHz | H100i GTX | Asus X99-A | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz
  • Intel 750 PCIe 400GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB/1TB | 512GB MX100 | 1TB WD Black x2 | 2TB WD Black |3TB WD Green NAS x2
  • EVGA 980Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ | EVGA 850W | NXZT H440 NEW | Dell U3415W | Razor Naga Molten Edition | CM Quick Fire Rapid TK
  • Schiit Asgard 2 | Schiit Modi 2 Uber | Presonus E5 x2 | Beyerdynamic DT990's 600 Ohm
CC

Here are some pics of the main wall of my collection. Im still trying to get more shelving since I have more than this but I'm out of room. I will also be ordering more ledges for the steelbooks to accommodate the new ones coming this year.

I currently have taken over the living room in our basement as my main game room man cave. I did get some great ideas from this thread with the baseball bat cases and picture ledges for my steel books.

attachicon.gif
20160208_121250.jpg
What's the gold steelbook for? 3rd row, 2nd from the right.

Here are some pics of the main wall of my collection. Im still trying to get more shelving since I have more than this but I'm out of room. I will also be ordering more ledges for the steelbooks to accommodate the new ones coming this year.

I like what you did with the steelbooks, are the games in there? It's a great way to display em, especially those garbage ones without the name on the spine *looks at MLB 15*. It would bother me, their not the same size on display.. I been trying to get rid of the larger G1 steels and trade for the G2s.

I was gonna get those batcases when they was on sale *seen them in the amiibo thread*. Don't really have a spot for them tho, I'll probably post an minor update to my collection soon. Trying to wait since I got some new statues and such coming in at the end of the month/early march.

I like what you did with the steelbooks, are the games in there? It's a great way to display em, especially those garbage ones without the name on the spine *looks at MLB 15*. It would bother me, their not the same size on display.. I been trying to get rid of the larger G1 steels and trade for the G2s.

I was gonna get those batcases when they was on sale *seen them in the amiibo thread*. Don't really have a spot for them tho, I'll probably post an minor update to my collection soon. Trying to wait since I got some new statues and such coming in at the end of the month/early march.
Some have the games still in them. The nice thing though is that since they are displayed like that they are easy to grab and get the disc out to play. I also have a spare regular case that I can stick the game I am currently playing in so I don't have to keep using the steelbook.

Square good job on categorizing your PS3 games *mostly correctly. Don't know why but it drives me crazy when people put the older PS3 red labels mixed with the black label games.

As someone with a complete blue label collection though, I'd put those after the black label

Square good job on categorizing your PS3 games *mostly correctly. Don't know why but it drives me crazy when people put the older PS3 red labels mixed with the black label games.

As someone with a complete blue label collection though, I'd put those after the black label
It used to be alphabetical too, but after awhile it just didn't work anymore since i had to split the collection up, lol.

At least I can do my best to make it look good. ;D

Honestly, the only new thing I noticed is the Vita Section. lmao
You mean the lack of it? :(

How many of those were there btw?
There isn't many. Complete list is Mugen Souls Z, drakengard 3, deception iv blood ties, MLB 14, sports pack vol 1 (mlb 14/nba2k14), spiderman 2, watchdogs, dynasty Warriors xl 8, rambo, lego hobbit, and murdered soul suspect.. At least as far as US only goes.

There is an Everybody Dance game with blue label but it's not US.

several games like wolfenstein, enemy front, street fighter 4 ultra and bound by flame had blue label artwork online but where never released with blue labels

Honestly, the only new thing I noticed is the Vita Section. lmao
I stopped being able to tell what's new and what's not with Square's collection a long time ago. I just use his posts as a way to gauge that he's still alive and hasn't been crushed by his collection.

For those of you that collect vintage - has anyone had any disc rot issues.

It is something I've read about over the years and seen pictures. I've heard some stories of people saying a good percent of Sega CD and Saturn games are starting to show the pin-hold disc rot.

It popped up in my head recently because I was helping to  clean out my sister's bedroom in my parents' house (she's been married with kids for a few years) and for the heck of it decided to look hold the CDs up to the window when the sun shines in. I noticed a few had what appears to be disc rot.

These were just random music CDs that she didn't care about and left behind, but made me think about some of my more valuable CD games. Say Flying Suit Keio, Snatcher, Lucienne's Quest or the Zelda CD-i games.

I know everything will eventually deteriorate no matter what - but it seems like carts will outlast the CD based games. It has me seriously considering maybe downsizing some of my CD based game collection.

I know everything will eventually deteriorate no matter what - but it seems like carts will outlast the CD based games. It has me seriously considering maybe downsizing some of my CD based game collection.
Flash carts have a theoretical limit too, less than that of CDs. The estimate for DS/3DS/Vita/etc flash carts are about 10 years.

Well, it's an estimate on the technology, with the theoretical lifespan being as short as 10 years. But even then, it could still last 40 years. It isn't supposed to last forever like ROMs from the NES/SNES/GB era though. Only time will really tell if they start degrading and become unplayable.

For those of you that collect vintage - has anyone had any disc rot issues.

It is something I've read about over the years and seen pictures. I've heard some stories of people saying a good percent of Sega CD and Saturn games are starting to show the pin-hold disc rot.

It popped up in my head recently because I was helping to clean out my sister's bedroom in my parents' house (she's been married with kids for a few years) and for the heck of it decided to look hold the CDs up to the window when the sun shines in. I noticed a few had what appears to be disc rot.

These were just random music CDs that she didn't care about and left behind, but made me think about some of my more valuable CD games. Say Flying Suit Keio, Snatcher, Lucienne's Quest or the Zelda CD-i games.

I don't have anything as valuable as those games but I have the same fear... it would suck to lose a bunch of my games simply due to age, especially when CDs are supposed to have a life span of 100 years or something. Besides disc rot, there's also the disc fogging issue that apparently plagues PS1 games (something about the dye for PS1 discs degrading over time).

Over the last 2 years though, I've gone through many of my disc based games and I've only noticed it on 1 disc with disc rot. The fogging issue on PS1 games seems more common but doesn't bother me as much since it looks like the disc is still read-able at the read angle. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play any of these games since the issues appeared so I don't know if the game is actually affected outside of physical appearance.

I don't have anything as valuable as those games but I have the same fear...
I just checked the value of them. I haven't thought about the value in like 6 or 7 years. I can't believe how much Keio and Snatcher are. (along with Little Samson, etc.)

Also I was able to search in my e-mail (since I never delete) and found the three Snatchers I sold in 09/10 for the prices of 120, 135, and 150. Man prices have changed a lot the last few years (those were all doubles I got on Craigslist with other bundles)

All this also makes me wonder if maybe it is time to sell. My boxed NES games should be okay, but to have the CDs just rot away due to no fault of my own would be such a huge blow.

I just checked the value of them. I haven't thought about the value in like 6 or 7 years. I can't believe how much Keio and Snatcher are. (along with Little Samson, etc.)

Also I was able to search in my e-mail (since I never delete) and found the three Snatchers I sold in 09/10 for the prices of 120, 135, and 150. Man prices have changed a lot the last few years (those were all doubles I got on Craigslist with other bundles)

All this also makes me wonder if maybe it is time to sell. My boxed NES games should be okay, but to have the CDs just rot away due to no fault of my own would be such a huge blow.
I've been trying to snag copies of some of the more rarer games over the past few years, like Snatcher and Earthbound and prices for those games have SKYROCKETED in the past few years. I was seeing copies of Snatcher going for the prices you mentioned and then suddenly they're going for 2x that... then 2x again.

I was thinking that maybe the age of digital releases would cool things down. When EB was released on the eShop, prices dipped like 10-20%, for a month and then they bounced back again.

Hard to say what's gonna happen though. Eventually, the markets gotta crash but I feel like anything before the N64/PS1 era aren't gonna ever plummet.

I feel like it crashed already and went up. I got most of my retro stuff at the low point, around 2009-2011, when everyone was getting rid of them cause of digital + economy + mini-baby-boom (pretty much 90% of my co-workers around my age had babies in the past couple of years). Now everything's reaching the point as if that crash didn't happen.

Some stuff did reach values I never expected though.

I also keep hoping there's gonna be another crash in retro prices...but I don't know if it will happen again.  Carts that I could regularly pick up for under $10 are now in the $30+ range, etc.  

YouTube and Twitch have really helped those prices soar.  A game show will feature some lesser known or obscure titles and the prices will rise on those games.

I have four copies of Super Mario World (SNES) and over the years have passed by dozens of copies.  Used to be practically *given* away at shops.  Now it's crept up to $25-$35 for one!

Paid $30 for a SMW/SMAS combo cart last night at a Mega Replay store.  I hated paying that much...but copies on eBay are usually around $50, so I thought I was still getting a deal.  For all the SMW and SMAS vanilla carts I've had, I never had the combo cart.

I'm amazed at how much Neo Geo MVS carts have soared though.  I started getting them in 2012 and got a lot of great games, for what I thought at the time was decent prices.  Now, they're like triple or quadruple what I paid for them, and I'm priced out of the few carts I still wanted.

Wow, you guys aren't joking.  I was going to sell Bomberman II on the NES last year when it was going for $60-$70.  Now some copies are going for 2x that.  

Sometimes I wonder if I should just sell all my old games.  I haven't touched some of those games in over 10 years.  But then I think of Shipwreck's setup and wonder if I could build something like that someday.  

Wow, you guys aren't joking. I was going to sell Bomberman II on the NES last year when it was going for $60-$70. Now some copies are going for 2x that.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just sell all my old games. I haven't touched some of those games in over 10 years. But then I think of Shipwreck's setup and wonder if I could build something like that someday.
On the other hand, all of these old carts and discs might deteriorate and be worthless. Well, maybe not carts... since there are still tons of Atari games that work fine, but who knows about discs?

Speaking of prices, I'm even surprised at the prices of some PS2 and GC games.

On the other hand, all of these old carts and discs might deteriorate and be worthless. Well, maybe not carts... since there are still tons of Atari games that work fine, but who knows about discs?

Speaking of prices, I'm even surprised at the prices of some PS2 and GC games.
That's true. Not to mention I could buy a new gen console and a few games by selling just a small amount of my retro stuff.

Always always always keep the stuff in the best condition. For everything, not just games. If you have boxed NES games, keep them. If you want to upgrade the cart, then keep the box/instructions when you sell the old cart. I figure most people in this thread do that anyway, but just some advice for people thinking about selling anything.

Wow, you guys aren't joking. I was going to sell Bomberman II on the NES last year when it was going for $60-$70. Now some copies are going for 2x that.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just sell all my old games. I haven't touched some of those games in over 10 years. But then I think of Shipwreck's setup and wonder if I could build something like that someday.
What's shipwrecks setup? I wanna see =[

bread's done
Back