Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

1smZ1.jpg

suDkw.jpg

Currently at 650+ Blu-rays.

www.blu-raytracker.com/~anthony.michael.rosa

[quote name='Layd Dly']Yup, Although the middle chair that I sat in the last 5 years started to tear and seperate in a couple places. But I cant complain for what i paid for them. I wonder if i can find a left over One-Arm at a K-mart somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Doubtful. I got 4 last year when they were clearancing them out of the stores. Had to go to 4 different stores to find them. I don't believe they carry them anymore.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Yeah looked like this in my townhouse about 4 years ago.

9457.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Seems you're a Magic fan. Off topic, but what is your (and/or Orlando's) opinion of Dwight Howard forcing himself out to a bigger market? Are you guys satisfied with what you got in the trade? I know the Bulls and Nets both had formal offers on the table, but Howard refused to sign in a cold weather city (according to 670 The Score sports radio). Iirc it was Bulls: Boozer+(Noah or Deng)+rights to Bobcats 2016 first rounder+Bulls first rounder in upcoming draft; and Nets: Lopez, 4 first rounders, and 2 second rounders.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Seems you're a Magic fan. Off topic, but what is your (and/or Orlando's) opinion of Dwight Howard forcing himself out to a bigger market? Are you guys satisfied with what you got in the trade? I know the Bulls and Nets both had formal offers on the table, but Howard refused to sign in a cold weather city (according to 670 The Score sports radio). Iirc it was Bulls: Boozer+(Noah or Deng)+rights to Bobcats 2016 first rounder+Bulls first rounder in upcoming draft; and Nets: Lopez, 4 first rounders, and 2 second rounders.[/QUOTE]

We were just glad it finally ended. the team and fans were finally able to move on. Sorry I cant elaborate but it would affect my paycheck. :)

I will say im glad to see how much better it has been for him in LA. :applause:

[quote name='anthony.michael.rosa']
1smZ1.jpg

suDkw.jpg

www.blu-raytracker.com/~anthony.michael.rosa[/QUOTE]

Amazing collection :)

That said, and don't mean to bring up a topic I think we've discussed somewhere on CAG before, but in terms of collectable value, I don't see the "fun" in collecting movies. As far as I can tell, they're always going to be available, regardless the medium they are printed on or the system/player they are distributed to.

Videogames, on the other hand, more frequently hold value because they are essentially gone after a system fades into memory. In other words, a limited supply for sale. Granted, digital distribution will start to change the second-hand market, but the fact is there will always be games that are hard to find or simply never made available due to the costs associated with converting them.

Just thought I'd ask folks around here. Do you see any monetary value in "collecting" movies?

[quote name='wiggyx']That's one clean setup. I don't think I could ever keep a space that tidy.[/QUOTE]
I could if I didn't have a wife and kid.

[quote name='anthony.michael.rosa']

www.blu-raytracker.com/~anthony.michael.rosa[/QUOTE]
What entertainment center is that? I remember seeing one very similar at Walmart or Target, but I don't remember it having quite as much shelf space. I love the one I have now, but it would be nice to eventually get something more practical (unless I can eventually make some add-ons for it).

[quote name='romeogbs19']Just thought I'd ask folks around here. Do you see any monetary value in "collecting" movies?[/QUOTE]
Nope. But I feel the same way about video games. I don't buy any of them because of how much money I might make someday; I just buy them because I want to have them handy (and they're nice to look at).

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']@Anthony... is that a framed picture of your cat?[/QUOTE]

Lol, when I moved into my first apartment like 4 years ago, that was the first picture my mother sent me framed. It was my cat that I had to leave at my mom's house.

@Saunder - Thank you :D

[quote name='romeogbs19']Amazing collection :)

That said, and don't mean to bring up a topic I think we've discussed somewhere on CAG before, but in terms of collectable value, I don't see the "fun" in collecting movies. As far as I can tell, they're always going to be available, regardless the medium they are printed on or the system/player they are distributed to.

Videogames, on the other hand, more frequently hold value because they are essentially gone after a system fades into memory. In other words, a limited supply for sale. Granted, digital distribution will start to change the second-hand market, but the fact is there will always be games that are hard to find or simply never made available due to the costs associated with converting them.

Just thought I'd ask folks around here. Do you see any monetary value in "collecting" movies?[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily collect movies to then one day sell them as a whole for a lot of money. I collect them because I have found this to be the least expensive hobby that I enjoy. I've tried paintballing, and that hobby is just entirely too expensive for my taste. I also use to collect video games, which is similar to collecting blu-rays, but more expensive.

Everyone has a hobby, whether it be collecting old crap, or trading stocks. Collecting Blu-rays is mine. Eventually you have to pick your poison, and find something in life that you enjoy doing, and the majority of them will cost money. Plus, I sit down and watch about 8-10 movies with my wife a week. So I'm able to knock out 2 birds with one stone :D

[quote name='ZombieToast']

What entertainment center is that? I remember seeing one very similar at Walmart or Target, but I don't remember it having quite as much shelf space. I love the one I have now, but it would be nice to eventually get something more practical (unless I can eventually make some add-ons for it).[/QUOTE]

It is an entertainment center I bought from IKEA about a year ago. The whole living room set is from IKEA.

I collect movies too, and it sure as hell isn't because I hope to sell them when I'm 40 so I can retire. Same goes for games. Not everyone collects based on the perceived monetary value that their collection may or may not have. I don't plan on selling any of it anytime soon, so as long as it has value for me, then I'm happy.

Plus, I've watched ALL of my movies. So they already have provided more entertainedment than my game collection ever will.

I also have a real strict rule of not paying over $10 for a Blu-ray. So if you break it down, I don't pay those ridiculous movie theater ticket prices, and I have the luxury of watching the movie whenever in HD and in the comfort of my own home. Just an all around win.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Yup, Although the middle chair that I sat in the last 5 years started to tear and seperate in a couple places. But I cant complain for what i paid for them. I wonder if i can find a left over One-Arm at a K-mart somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I have wanted chairs like that for some time now, I couldn't find them on the Kmart website, mind me asking how much those are each?

[quote name='romeogbs19']Just thought I'd ask folks around here. Do you see any monetary value in "collecting" movies?[/QUOTE]

When I was in high school in the early 90s I collected baseball cards for their perceived monetary value. It didn't help that I worked in a shop that sold baseball cards, so I was blowing my paycheck on stuff that is now worthless. Instead of investing $1,000 in baseball cards, I really wished I bought Apple stock. I could have bought 100 shares in 1990 that would now be worth $50,000. A far more realistic hindsight would be an S&P Index fund in which that grand would be worth about $6,600 now.

After that experience I decided never to do that again. Now I collect things that give me enjoyment no matter what they're worth years from now. Mostly it's video games, some movies/tv shows, board games and Lego. If they become worth a lot of money, great, but I try to keep my investing separate from collecting.

I think movies have less--much less--value than games do. When a new movie format comes out (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray) 98% of the stuff from the previous generation loses a lot of its value. Games are different, though. Final Fantasy VII, for instance, is a PS1 game. It doesn't matter how many Playstations come out, it will still be a PS1 game. Games are just a different game (haw haw).

Indeed games are different, but games also cost A LOT more than Blu-rays do... So even though they might still be worth more in the future, they also cost more to purchase. So it kind of cancels it's future value out by originally being so expensive.

[quote name='salty tbone']When I was in high school in the early 90s I collected baseball cards for their perceived monetary value. It didn't help that I worked in a shop that sold baseball cards, so I was blowing my paycheck on stuff that is now worthless. Instead of investing $1,000 in baseball cards, I really wished I bought Apple stock. I could have bought 100 shares in 1990 that would now be worth $50,000. A far more realistic hindsight would be an S&P Index fund in which that grand would be worth about $6,600 now.

After that experience I decided never to do that again. Now I collect things that give me enjoyment no matter what they're worth years from now. Mostly it's video games, some movies/tv shows, board games and Lego. If they become worth a lot of money, great, but I try to keep my investing separate from collecting.[/QUOTE]

Lets be honest, the idea that Apple would become what it has was a one in a million shot. For every Apple stock, there's probably a thousand Enron, Lehman, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc. In hindsight, it's easy to think "if I had done x and my return would have been Y", but it's not so easy to do that at the present.

I went through the same thing you did except I did it with comic books in addition to basketball, Pokemon and other types of trading cards. I must have spent thousands on that stuff that's now worth $100 at best. Luckily, my next collecting hobby after that was late 90s/early 00s Transformers (which have at least held their at the very least) and then video games (which have been a gold mine for me).

A discussion actually came up on CAG about collecting and I said almost exactly what you did. I wish I could find that thread. It was a good discussion.

[quote name='Vinny']Lets be honest, the idea that Apple would become what it has was a one in a million shot. For every Apple stock, there's probably a thousand Enron, Lehman, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc. In hindsight, it's easy to think "if I had done x and my return would have been Y", but it's not so easy to do that at the present. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was shooting for the most extreme example I could think of. No doubt there are stocks right now that in 20 years I'll say "Wish I would've bought that," which is why I also used the more realistic S&P index fund example. That's mostly all I do now.

[quote name='Vinny']A discussion actually came up on CAG about collecting and I said almost exactly what you did. I wish I could find that thread. It was a good discussion.[/QUOTE]

When I got out of college I started collecting all sorts of stuff from my childhood -- old and current GI Joes, Star Wars, Playmobil, etc. After a few years I was able to focus my compulsive collecting habit on just a few specific areas.

I hope I don't sound too preachy. I'm just giving my perspective. I love this thread and seeing everyone's collections.

I actually don't like having so much stuff. If I can guarantee that everything I buy digitally can be used 50 years from now (or even 30), I'd probably jump right in. After that, all I'd really collect would be anime figures and the same amount of Legos that I have now.

I'd get rid of most of my games, bluray/dvd, CDs, books, etc. if it was the case. Also, we need captions, and digital media is iffy about it, except for Hulu.

Back in high school and early college, I wasted all my money (estimated) on cigarettes ($500), pool halls ($1500), alcohol (???), and arcades (mostly Tekken Tag + 4, $7000+). Not so much on tangible collectible items.

Edit: And I think Europe is on the right track in allowing digital items to be resold.

Edit 2: My game collecting started as a combination of the GF encouraging it (she doesn't let me sell most of our collection), and convincing myself that it's at least of value, unlike the thousands I spent playing Tekken for hours a day.

I collected Spawn figures for a long time. I had complete sets from series 1-18 including variants, fish tanks, etc. Sold em all in about 2002-2003 and actually made money. Glad I did, cause they're worth jack shit now.

Still cleaning my stuff up, so I won't give a overall shot, but this is what I got so far.

In a effort to get through my 360 backlog,I layed the 360 games I have less than a hour on down horizontally, which annoys the hell outta me. So hopefully it'll help force me to play them.
IMG_0905_zps56941ede.jpg

Bottom shelf is just older gen stuff that I stopped organizing well.

IMG_0906_zps0a3de4c0.jpg

The Xbox is on top of the TV stand, inside is Nintendo consoles. Like the Wii-U, and my now up-converting Gamecube next to it.

Other side that's blocked off is blu ray player, N64, and one of those splitter things for the older consoles.
IMG_0907_zpsba249559.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I collect DVDs and Blu-rays for a variety of reasons. One is that I don't watch a lot of TV anymore. I prefer to watch everything in one go on disc. Another is anime. Few anime get on TV nowadays, so this is how I watch it. Finally, I just love collecting them.

I don't have many other collections. I used to collect the 1" Pokemon figures, but I have little room and the lack of US availability makes it tough. I have as many figures from Generations III-V that I do Generations I and II. I also collect Gundam models. Usually 1/144 size, but I do have two 1/100 (Altron and GP01 Incomplete) and one PG (RX-78-2 from FAO Scwartz), usually because they are smaller and cheaper. I have all the models from the original Wing and G runs (sans the elusive White Taurus) and many models from MSG, SEED, Destiny, and 00. Not a big fan of AGE's designs. Also have some of the new RG models (RX-78-2, Mark II AEUG Colors, and Freedom) and the Unicorn model with the stand.

[quote name='wiggyx']I collected Spawn figures for a long time. I had complete sets from series 1-18 including variants, fish tanks, etc. Sold em all in about 2002-2003 and actually made money. Glad I did, cause they're worth jack shit now.[/QUOTE]

I think there are a lot of fad collections that only last a short while... stuff like Beanie Babies and Pokemon Cards, or Skylanders right now. I think games will end up being one of the more long term collectables like pre-60s comics or LEGOs. Games will end up being more like comics, in that there will be a golden age wherein most of the valuable items lie.

But the question is when the "golden age" of games will end.. or maybe it's already ended?:whistle2:k

You may not be able to get hundreds if dollars on eBay for them anymore, but Pokemon cards are still big sellers and the game is alive and kicking. Especially now that they introduced the holofoil full art cards.

[quote name='Vinny']I think there are a lot of fad collections that only last a short while... stuff like Beanie Babies and Pokemon Cards, or Skylanders right now. I think games will end up being one of the more long term collectables like pre-60s comics or LEGOs. Games will end up being more like comics, in that there will be a golden age wherein most of the valuable items lie.

But the question is when the "golden age" of games will end.. or maybe it's already ended?:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

100% agreed. Games have an actual use, unlike many collectibles. I think their value will hold (on some level) for a long time.

Something tells me that the 16-bit era will end up as the so-called golden age. It's already looked on so fondly, and it seems more so than any other previous generation.

[quote name='wiggyx'] Something tells me that the 16-bit era will end up as the so-called golden age. It's already looked on so fondly, and it seems more so than any other previous generation.[/QUOTE]

It's also an era where not many people were thinking of games as collectibles (kind of like the golden ages for comic books and baseball cards). I was pretty anal about stuff I owned when I was young, and even I got rid of boxes for my carts.

[quote name='salty tbone']It's also an era where not many people were thinking of games as collectibles (kind of like the golden ages for comic books and baseball cards). I was pretty anal about stuff I owned when I was young, and even I got rid of boxes for my carts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, boxes and manuals make a huge difference in value.

I figured with all the digital releases and re-releases on newer consoles, that SNES games would drop. I passed on a getting a bunch of CIB games during the late 90s/00s because I figured a lot of them would be re-released (a la Final Fantasy Anthology/Chronicles) and therefore, would drop in value. Boy, was I wrong.

[quote name='Vinny']I think there are a lot of fad collections that only last a short while... stuff like Beanie Babies and Pokemon Cards, or Skylanders right now. I think games will end up being one of the more long term collectables like pre-60s comics or LEGOs. Games will end up being more like comics, in that there will be a golden age wherein most of the valuable items lie.

But the question is when the "golden age" of games will end.. or maybe it's already ended?:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

The golden age of gaming is anything from the 90's or before and mainly cartridge based games as the boxes are worth more then the game.

Pretty much everything made in the 21st century is mass produced and worthless aside from some limited editions and collector editions.

As time goes games get destoryed and lost so no matter how many were produced once it's out of production the amount of copies in circulation only decreases.

There are a lot of variables too many to go into detail about. I'd say the safest bet to not get burned is to look at video games for their purpose which is to play them and enjoy and not look at monetary value.

My theory for fairly modern games is they will never reach the value compared to older cartridge based games fetch today. Certain games are kind of priceless specially when you factor in being factory sealed and you have companies starting grade the games (VGA). You end up with games that are one of a kind when only one single game is known to exist sealed.
Not something you just see on ebay 1-2 times a year.

IMO what happened is the era of where games were collectible passed by without the majority noticing and in recent years everyone caught on to the collecting aspect and the monetary value aspect. Much how it was with comics in the 90's everyone thought they'd pay for their kids college education with them and then woke up to a market crash.

I actually see the comic situation quite often now. I went through it with my dad, he was smart enough to pull out in the 90's and recoup a lot of what he spent. It's not like he made a profit though. I remember his collection and how many doubles he had. He would buy 100 copies of a comic he thought would go up in value. I remember Spider-man #1 that started in the 90's he had like 120 copies of it lmao.

Nowadays with comics I run into people all the times with 10,000 plus comic collections and they can't even use them for toilet paper because they are all comics from after the golden and silver age. Mostly anything made after the 70's is garbage the majority of it.

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']Does that mess up the bass I'm guessing? I have no idea lmao.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wiggyx']It will destroy the hard drive and monitor.

CDs/DVDs are the only things I'd store anywhere NEAR a sub :/[/QUOTE]

Most computer speakers are shielded to prevent damage to monitors and HDDs (since, it's likely those items will be close to one another). Likewise, most HDDs and modern monitors can withstand some magnetic force themselves. But the exception here is subwoofers, which are usually meant to be on the floor and away from monitors (and anything else damaged by magnets), and have much larger drivers (usually meaning a more powerful magnet).

Another issue is sound quality. Anything on top of a subwoofer will create some rattle, even if it's not audible. Low frequencies (bass) is also very fickle, meaning the position of the subwoofer and the items around it can impact the quality of bass you hear/feel. Front firing subwoofers don't have issues with position/surroundings, but downfiring ones do (that big, cube-ish subwoofer is probably downfiring, I think).

[quote name='Vinny']Most computer speakers are shielded to prevent damage to monitors and HDDs (since, it's likely those items will be close to one another). Likewise, most HDDs and modern monitors can withstand some magnetic force themselves. But the exception here is subwoofers, which are usually meant to be on the floor and away from monitors (and anything else damaged by magnets), and have much larger drivers (usually meaning a more powerful magnet).

Another issue is sound quality. Anything on top of a subwoofer will create some rattle, even if it's not audible. Low frequencies (bass) is also very fickle, meaning the position of the subwoofer and the items around it can impact the quality of bass you hear/feel. Front firing subwoofers don't have issues with position/surroundings, but downfiring ones do (that big, cube-ish subwoofer is probably downfiring, I think).[/QUOTE]

Ah ok that makes sense. I have a Creative Sound Blaster( sound card ) on top of my computer speaker subwoofer, is that bad also?

[quote name='Vinny']Man, I'd love to track down a Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest... but I don't know where to find one, not to mention I don't have space for one.[/QUOTE]

Did someone say "Loot chest"? ;)

borderlands_zpsdfdb9046.jpg

PS, I am working on getting my collection together still. I think it would be easier to fly one of you guys out, than for me to try to get everything organized. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slowdive21']Did someone say "Loot chest"? ;)

borderlands_zpsdfdb9046.jpg

PS, I am working on getting my collection together still. I think it would be easier to fly one of you guys out, then for me to try to get everything organized. :lol:[/QUOTE]

.......WHAT?! Wow. That's amazing.

Slowdive, I trade shelf building work for games ;)

I'm also relatively familiar with my ABCs, so I may be of some service when it comes to actually putting things on shelves too.

[quote name='wiggyx']100% agreed. Games have an actual use, unlike many collectibles. I think their value will hold (on some level) for a long time.

Something tells me that the 16-bit era will end up as the so-called golden age. It's already looked on so fondly, and it seems more so than any other previous generation.[/QUOTE]

The "golden age" for games won't be fixed like comic books. The 16-bit generation is looked on so fondly because the ones who grew up with it are the ones reminiscing. Each generation will have their own "golden age", kids and teens from now will collect 360, PS3, and Wii games 20 years from now. THIS will be their golden age. Games are more akin to toys than comics - you're going to collect what you grew up with. Things will be valuable from all generations.

That said, the earlier stuff will be more valuable simply due to packaging and "origin" games (1st games in popular series). As long as popular game series keep going, new generations will want to collect the older titles. With a fixed supply of games and an infinitely increasing demand, there's no doubt those games will rise in value.

I don't quite follow your logic. Why can't there be a fixed golden age, whether it's 8-bit, 16-bit, or whatever?

I mean, I collected comics in the mid-90's, and that doesn't make the 90's the golden age of comics even though they're my favorite comics.

As far as us 30-something's really feeling the nostalgia, I agree 100%. We're doing our part in driving market value of 8 & 16-bit games. BUUUUUT, there a TON of younger folks that are really into the classic cart games. If you didn't know, I spend a lot of time on the cover project, and there are quite a few folks in their early 20's and almost as many in their teens that are all over the 16-bit stuff. I really think VGs are more like comics than toys in that they have more than a $$$ value attached. Toys just sit on shelves (with the exception of stuff like LEGOs), often in boxes. They're completely useless, like collecting stamps, or coins, or anything else like that. You can actually DO something with comics and games besides setting them on a shelf.

Either way, I'm happy that older games are often appreciated by the younger crowd. It reassures me that I still like these games not only for their nostalgic value, but also because they're just damned good games :)

Doomstink is absolutely right about different generations valuing certain periods in gaming differently. You can say that about anything. But this is not what defines a Golden Age. It's not about which games are held in the highest regard or which ones bring in the most money. A Golden Age is essentially a period of great impact; it is regarded as perhaps the most important period of that genre/field. Video games are a household thing now...almost everyone plays them, whether it's on a computer, on a console, on a phone, or in some other way. We are constantly seeing innovations in the way games are played and every once in a while, we are treated with games that completely change the way we think of gaming. But none of that would happen without a Golden Age, a sort of revolution where there's a huge boom in public attention and you finally know that this thing (whatever it may be) will be around to stay for a long time.

For the gaming industry, that has already happened and it can easily be attributed to the 8-bit and 16-bit generations. It was then when gaming went from a casual pastime to its own lifestyle. Gaming finally became relevant. Without that period in gaming, it would still just be an obscure niche hobby...if it would even still be around at all. I can't say for sure which consoles/mediums are most responsible or how long this era lasted, but regardless of how anyone feels about those games, I think it's pretty safe to say that that's when we had our Golden Age.

[quote name='wiggyx']Slowdive, I trade shelf building work for games ;)

I'm also relatively familiar with my ABCs, so I may be of some service when it comes to actually putting things on shelves too.[/QUOTE]

I owe you a call. I'm still trying to get my shit together. I wish I could make some permanent shelves, but I don't want to put that type of effort into a condo. Once I get a house, I will need a designer. :)

[quote name='Vinny']How many copies of Borderlands do you have there? :lol: Can't wait to see your collection Slowdrive.[/QUOTE]

"slowdive" I have a black label from launch that was a blind buy for me because of a little BB b2g1 sale-ahem- that ended up being a great sale, GOTY from B2 preorder, 2 GH (sealed) from target clearance before GOTY came out, and an empty case of B2 that I just traded to GS. The 6th spot is reserved for B2 GOTY. I just backfilled the empty space with my replacement cases from trade ins. Oh the loot chests are both from warehouse deals. $105 for PC and $129 for 360 both are still sealed but a little beat up. I did check from the side and felt to make sure the games and bonus items were intact. I also weighed them and I believe they should both have the bobblehead. ;)

[quote name='ZombieToast']Doomstink is absolutely right about different generations valuing certain periods in gaming differently. You can say that about anything. But this is not what defines a Golden Age. It's not about which games are held in the highest regard or which ones bring in the most money. A Golden Age is essentially a period of great impact; it is regarded as perhaps the most important period of that genre/field. Video games are a household thing now...almost everyone plays them, whether it's on a computer, on a console, on a phone, or in some other way. We are constantly seeing innovations in the way games are played and every once in a while, we are treated with games that completely change the way we think of gaming. But none of that would happen without a Golden Age, a sort of revolution where there's a huge boom in public attention and you finally know that this thing (whatever it may be) will be around to stay for a long time.

For the gaming industry, that has already happened and it can easily be attributed to the 8-bit and 16-bit generations. It was then when gaming went from a casual pastime to its own lifestyle. Gaming finally became relevant. Without that period in gaming, it would still just be an obscure niche hobby...if it would even still be around at all. I can't say for sure which consoles/mediums are most responsible or how long this era lasted, but regardless of how anyone feels about those games, I think it's pretty safe to say that that's when we had our Golden Age.[/QUOTE]

+1

beginning to intro of NES: Platinum age

intro of NES = beginning of golden age would be my suggestions.

bread's done
Back