Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

For my first collection post I have a question I know can be answered in here. Don't know if these are called figures or statues. I know nothing of these beautiful ladies I picked up at a yard sale last year. The guy who was selling them wasn't there to give me any info. I mainly picked these up because I saw some users on here have nice collections of them and I thought they were cool (also the one dollar price didn't hurt). Any info would be appreciated. I keep these two in the first pic with my office/guestroom collection. The other three haven't found a spot in my collection and stay in the basement mini-hoard (nothing like slowdive but a tiny hoard).
Comic Party's Mizuki.

The last one is... I can't remember. The first things that pops into my mind is Aria/Iria/Alita/Satoshi Urushihara, but I don't think any of those are right.

Back when I used to be a regular at 4chan for the laughs and "other" reasons, I saw some terrible things done to figures. After seeing some of that shit, I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy used figures. 

Back when I used to be a regular at 4chan for the laughs and "other" reasons, I saw some terrible things done to figures. After seeing some of that shit, I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy used figures.
People do that with everything, though. Every coin I handle goes in my ass before it goes back into circulation. It's my little gift to the world.

Just have a portable black light with you when you buy used.

Problem solved.

You guys are crazy. I would've never guessed somebody would use these as sex toys. I saw that Mtv show with furries and balloon boy. Whatever floats your boat.

You guys are crazy. I would've never guessed somebody would use these as sex toys. I saw that Mtv show with furries and balloon boy. Whatever floats your boat.
Back when I visited 4chan... I mean, I heard from someone... that they used to post pictures of um... white liquids on figures.

Just have a portable black light with you when you buy used.

Problem solved.
If I tested stuff at garage sales and thrift stores I'd probably never buy used again. Could you imagine walking around with a portable black light and testing different objects you came in contact with? Probably some disgusting things we touch every day (insert joke here). I would get a kick out of checking friends and co workers.

People say "Germ freak, huh?" when I wipe down the keyboard and mouse at the library. I respond, "No just a thinker" ;)
I've never seen anyone other than me use those sanitizing wipes they have by the carts at Walmart for the intended purpose, but I did see a guy grab one and wipe his mouth with it the other day. :lol:

People say "Germ freak, huh?" when I wipe down the keyboard and mouse at the library. I respond, "No just a thinker" ;)
That's not a bad idea.

I started to wipe down every single used game I buy about 4-5 years ago. Not just the discs, but the cases and manuals (just the outside covers). It's amazing how even the cleanest looking items have a built up layer of grime on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a bad idea.

I started to wipe down every single used game I buy about 4-5 years ago. Not just the discs, but the cases and manuals (just the outside covers). It's amazing how even the cleanest looking items have a built up layer of grime on it.
I use a wet paper towel on the cases when I buy them at garage sales (I dont clean the discs or manuals though)...Actually pretty much everything I buy at garages sales I wipe down if possible for the reason you said.

One day I will go to a laundromat with all of the gameboy, ds, game gear (etc) cases and pay to wash them all in one batch. I keep them in my parents garage in a sealed plastic garbage bag (to kill bugs if they are any in there). You should do the same with plush items. I don't usually buy plush items because bedbugs would be unbearable and not worth the risk for me to make a few bucks. I did buy an ALF plush last year, but it has been sealed in a garbage bag in my trunk since last year. ;)

I use a wet paper towel on the cases when I buy them at garage sales (I dont clean the discs or manuals though).

I did buy an ALF plush last year, but it has been sealed in a garbage bag in my trunk since last year. ;)
I use a washcloth with a small amount of rubbing alcohol on anything I sell or put in the collection. I think alcohol is perfect for cleaning plastic cases.

About Alf. How has 1 item stayed in your trunk for a year with all the yard sales you go to? Seems like valuable space in a pickers car. Just throw it in the hoard. Pic first please 😁.

I too use the cloth/rubbing alcohol method... although, rubbing alcohol can discolor/strip/leave streaks, I like that it has much better cleaning properties, can kill germs, and dries quick. 

I've never seen anyone other than me use those sanitizing wipes they have by the carts at Walmart for the intended purpose, but I did see a guy grab one and wipe his mouth with it the other day. :lol:
I recall using it at walmart and a little girl saw me. She told her mom if she wanted one to clean their cart. The mom just laughed at her and told her to get real.

Ah man, now I can't buy anything at thrift stores or second stores without being suspicious of what the previous owner did with an item. 

Now I probably shouldn't even bother buying anything second hand that's mentioned in this thread.

I use 91% rubbing alcohol on the contacts of everything I buy, but I stopped using it on carts/consoles/cases because it can cloud the plastic. It discolors SEGA systems and N64s in my experience. A magic eraser works wonders on NES consoles and games, but I notice a subtle difference in the feel of the plastic afterwards. It wears down some of the texture since the eraser is a mild abrasive. Not all NES systems are textured to the same degree anyway (some are completely smooth on top), but it something someone with a keen sense of touch (like me) can feel the difference in the before and after.

And ALF is still in my trunk. He is taking up a lot of space, but I don't find nearly as much as I used to. ;)

Moved into a house and figured thats as good a reason as any to update my collection photos:

ONE/PSP/PS3/CE
DSC02718.jpg

NES/SNES/N64 Boxed Games

DSC02707.jpg

Wii/X360 Overflow

DSC02708.jpg

Genesis/32X/SegaCD/Saturn/OXM

DSC02709.jpg

X360

DSC02710.jpg

DSC02711.jpg

DSC02712.jpg

GCN

DSC02713.jpg

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02715.jpg

PSX/Cartridges

DSC02719.jpg

DC

DSC02716.jpg

Handheld

DSC02722.jpg

Guides/CE

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

Movies

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

DSC02729.jpg

DSC02730.jpg

Setup

DSC02734.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

Systems

DSC02723.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

Bobbleheads! (Just cause)

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

No, it's written on the cartridge.

So I just go over it with dry erase marker and wipe it off?

Sorry, just want to make sure :0
Yep. Go over it with dry erase marker and wipe it off. If it's really old permanent marker, it might leave a light outline, but you can repeat.

Moved into a house and figured thats as good a reason as any to update my collection photos:
Good stuff man. Great N64 collection!

No, it's written on the cartridge.

So I just go over it with dry erase marker and wipe it off?

Sorry, just want to make sure :0
Have you tried rubbing it with a q-tip or paper towel dabbed in rubbing alcohol? Most permanent markers should come off with some rubbing alcohol. Just keep it away from the label.

The dry erase method may work but the surface of N64 carts are coarse, so just trying to wipe it off without some kind of solution would probably leave some leftover ink.

What ever you do, do NOT use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, since that's basically microscopic sandpaper and will remove the finish on the cartridge.

No Mr Clean huh? It's been awhile since I had to clean marker of a catridge. I probably just used rubbing alcohol. I think I got the eraser idea from JJ games. He's a member of the site and had posted how to clean video games on YouTube. Haven't seen him here in a bit.

A lot of people use Magic Eraser but probably won't notice what it actually does to the cart's finish. 

Take a Magic Eraser and wipe down a clear/clean CD case (or really, any clear plastic) and you'll see what it does. 

A lot of people use Magic Eraser but probably won't notice what it actually does to the cart's finish.

Take a Magic Eraser and wipe down a clear/clean CD case (or really, any clear plastic) and you'll see what it does.
I just posted something about this in one of the threads a day or two ago...Maybe the thrift store thread. I can tell by feel, but I think the general population can't.

It's basically what happens when you use toothpaste to clean. That's all the magic erasers really are.

Good stuff man. Great N64 collection!

Have you tried rubbing it with a q-tip or paper towel dabbed in rubbing alcohol? Most permanent markers should come off with some rubbing alcohol. Just keep it away from the label.

The dry erase method may work but the surface of N64 carts are coarse, so just trying to wipe it off without some kind of solution would probably leave some leftover ink.

What ever you do, do NOT use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, since that's basically microscopic sandpaper and will remove the finish on the cartridge.
No, I haven't tried yet. I've been organizing my stuff and figured since I now have access to people who know what they're doing when cleaning old games id ask before potentially screwing up my games :)

(I still regret writing on them with a sharpie when I was little D: , but in my defense I did it because I was made to lend someone them and I didn't trust th to try and not keep my stuff)

Thanks all for the advice, I'm not sure when I'll get around to cleaning them, but I'll be sure to let you all know how my endeavor turns out :0

Everyone who's saying "rubbing alcohol" should really make the distinction between isopropyl or ethyl. They are VERY different and both are often labeled as rubbing alcohol. You don't want ethyl anywhere near ABS plastic parts. Heaven forbid that someone go out and grab the wrong product and ruin something valuable just because they didn't know exactly which product they should have purchased.

For collection post 2 here's my only Super Famicom game.  Happy to have it even if it's my only one.  The guy I got this from sold all his other Famicom stuff the night before.  Luckily this one slipped through the cracks.

gallery_354731_8400_1037881.jpg

How did I do? 

Everyone who's saying "rubbing alcohol" should really make the distinction between isopropyl or ethyl. They are VERY different and both are often labeled as rubbing alcohol. You don't want ethyl anywhere near ABS plastic parts. Heaven forbid that someone go out and grab the wrong product and ruin something valuable just because they didn't know exactly which product they should have purchased.
I never knew that there was another kind of alcohol that was referred to as rubbing alcohol. I always just see isopropyl alcohol (I've never seen a label that says "rubbing alcohol") so I assume that's what "rubbing alcohol" was.

Good thing you said something Wigs, lest I someday end up with a bunch of destroyed carts.

Yes thank you wiggy. I will stop cleaning my games with Tanqueray now. ;) But seriously, who doesn't know it is isopropyl? Don't the kids learn chemistry anymore!? :oldman:

(Oh and this wasn't a dig against Vinny) Sorry if it seemed that way.

Ok, I'm in the process of designing new living room furniture from scratch. I will be designing and building. I'm currently looking at different commercial designs to grab some ideas.

The stationary stuff is easy. However, I have been looking for ideas for the portable stuff and controllers. I have charging stations for all the controllers, and I'm going to have a USB cord for my universal remote. The real sticky part are the handhelds. We have three DSIs in cases, and I also have a 3DSXL and a PSP in a case. Any ideas about little shelves, dividers, slots or anything else kids could easy grab their DS without the whole thing becoming a tangled mess or a junk pile? Google Image Search hasn't been much help. If I charge them here, great. Otherwise, I just need a spot to neatly put them. This would be what you would call a 'mature' space.

Hey, quick question for you guys. How do you remove sharpie on cartridges? Specifically n64 ones.

I just posted something about this in one of the threads a day or two ago...Maybe the thrift store thread. I can tell by feel, but I think the general population can't.

There was actually a thread made for this question not long ago. Some additional input would probably be nice.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/330491-cleaning-snes-carts/

I never knew that there was another kind of alcohol that was referred to as rubbing alcohol. I always just see isopropyl alcohol (I've never seen a label that says "rubbing alcohol") so I assume that's what "rubbing alcohol" was.

Good thing you said something Wigs, lest I someday end up with a bunch of destroyed carts.
No prob. And just in case there's any dispute...

null_zps6c623051.jpg

Yes thank you wiggy. I will stop cleaning my games with Tanqueray now. ;) But seriously, who doesn't know it is isopropyl? Don't the kids learn chemistry anymore!? :oldman:

(Oh and this wasn't a dig against Vinny) Sorry if it seemed that way.
You know I've got love for ya ;)

I'm sure most of us do, but the generic "rubbing alcohol" is virtually meaningless. See above :/

Can you drink it?
Sure!

But, to be fair, you can drink kerosene, gasoline, and methanol as well. You won't live very long, but you can drink it :p

There was actually a thread made for this question not long ago. Some additional input would probably be nice.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/330491-cleaning-snes-carts/
Hands down the best and simplest method. So fucking simple that you can put it in your pocket and clean the games before you even leave Goodwill. Been a secret of mine that I've been meaning to share for a while. Was trying to save it for my next FAQ/How-To on my blog, but you guys deserve the info beforehand :)

null_zps6babaf72.jpg

null_zps06052e4b.jpg

null_zps11b104ad.jpg

These markers are the same as any other, just without the ink. Only the emulsifier. "But wiggy, what good is that?" Well, the emulsifier will re-emulsify the ink and then it can VERY easily be wiped clean. This is exactly what you're trying to do when you use isopropyl, goo-gone, etc. The only difference is that you're using the exact same emulsifiers which were used to leave the mark in the first place. Prismacolor markers are alcolhol-based and Chartpak markers are, um, some nasty-ass other shit-based. Buy both and you're got pretty much 99% of the markers out there covered ;)

FYI, 70% is for disenfecting, cause it kills more germs than the 91% (counter-intuitive, yes). The 91% is used for cleaning electronics, but it does still disenfect. That's why you'll find 70% more often in stores like Target, because most people usually want disenfecting only.

bread's done
Back