Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

It's worth noting that the 91% is better for electronics because it dries/evaporates faster than 70%.
This.

Doesn't matter. Either will do the job. Just make sure the parts are dry when you're done.
In theory though, 91% is the lesser of two evils as water causes corrosion. So if someone doesn't completely dry a contact, they would want the 91% since it has less water in it.

Time to ask again (as I do every year). Is there any good collection software out there? (free or one time cost)

I would prefer something I could use my phone or a handheld scanner to enter in the games via upc scan.

I would love a POS system from a gamestore, but AFAIK those are only available with a subscription service.

Time to ask again (as I do every year). Is there any good collection software out there? (free or one time cost)

I would prefer something I could use my phone or a handheld scanner to enter in the games via upc scan.

I would love a POS system from a gamestore, but AFAIK those are only available with a subscription service.
Are you looking to just categorize your games on your phone? My buddy, granted a few years ago, had a (I think) bestbuy app that you could scan and save your collection on your phone.

Are you looking to just categorize your games on your phone? My buddy, granted a few years ago, had a (I think) bestbuy app that you could scan and save your collection on your phone.
I ideally I would like a program I could use at home and then download to my microSD card on my phone that would list what games I have with information like: quantity of each game, condition, boxed, instructions, etc. That would be the bare minimum, so I wouldn't need an Internet connection. Basically a database/catalog.

I would love something that pulls amazon pricing via download, but I know those are basically scanner subscription services. But if I could pull pricing in the morning or at least once every week, I could have an idea what a game goes for without needing an Internet connection while shopping.

Ideally the program would be similar to game collector http://www.collectorz.com/game/ but I would want to be able to manually add notes, add to the database, and pull pricing from online sites like amazon.

Most importantly, I would need to be able to use it all offline and save backups that don't require special software in case the company goes under.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a combination of Backloggery and Pricecharting to do most of that but no idea without a data collection.
Price charting has a collection tracker? Does it show values next the games?

If it does, then I would definitely use it. I've been happy with Google Docs, except when it comes to quickly trying to find the value of a game.

How about a way to store a lot of geneses games without their cases? Maybe a cassette tape holder?

I was over at my parents house sorting through some stuff and I noticed I have around 50 without cases.

nah not worth the effort. I was just looking for a better option than a shoebox or two. I'll do custom stuff for my Zelda games and higher end stuff, but that is a ways off.

No. I use backloggery for tracking my collection and pricecharting for the values.
Ah, I see. I wish I could find something that kept track of my collection and aftermarket prices.
nah not worth the effort. I was just looking for a better option than a shoebox or two. I'll do custom stuff for my Zelda games and higher end stuff, but that is a ways off.
How about one of those under bed storage bins? That's like the classic way to go for cart only games.

How about one of those under bed storage bins? That's like the classic way to go for cart only games.
I'm one of those people that doesn't use a bed frame. I have a boxspring on the floor with an expensive mattress on top. N64 games are a PITA to store too with their lack of spine labels.

When I worked for "the worlds largest beverage company" I was able to work with an IBM person to pull data to a spreadsheet like this. He did the script to pull all the data from the system we leased from them and I created the spreadsheet from scratch to accommodate the data. I was able to tweak it to hide things I didn't need and also to round actual counts to a case sized count. So if someone needed 4 items and 6 came to a case it will round the ordering suggestion to 6 items or 1 case. The people who had my accounts would do this all by hand for years and it would take about 2 hours a day. I was able to get it down to 15 minutes. I was really proud of it, and I know if I had the proper tools I could do something like it again, but I am clueless on how to pull the pricing from amazon...especially since they could change one thing and jack up the code. I know I did the easy part by using excel, but I would love to be able to do something like that again.

Wow, it's been up forever and goes down right as I post it? Lol.  Want me to write up what I did in here?  I should be able to detail it out either today or (more likely) tomorrow if you're interested.

I've got some rough google docs scripts for fetching UPCs and prices (loose, complete, or new) if someone wants them.  The UPC one doesn't work perfectly because price charting butchers a lot of titles horribly.

Wow, it's been up forever and goes down right as I post it? Lol. Want me to write up what I did in here? I should be able to detail it out either today or (more likely) tomorrow if you're interested.
That'd be great.

I've got some rough google docs scripts for fetching UPCs and prices (loose, complete, or new) if someone wants them. The UPC one doesn't work perfectly because price charting butchers a lot of titles horribly.
I would definitely like to try them, to see what works best. Since my games are either new or complete, it would definitely be nice to get more exact pricing.

Ugh, I have no idea how scripts work. I put it in and tried to run it but that one also resulted in an error.
Sorry, should have mentioned how to use it. This is assuming you're using a Google Docs spreadsheet.

So for the getUPC function I have "=getUPC(A2,GetSheetName())" in a cell where A2 has the name of the game (e.g. "Marksman Shooting and Trap Shooting") and GetSheetName() gets the name of the current sheet (e.g. "Sega Master System"). So I have my sheets named for the system. You can put another string in the place of GetSheetName() if that works better for you.

The result of that function for me is 010086060034. If you go to the Marksman Shooting and Trap Shooting page on vgpc you'll see the UPC matches.

For the getPrice function I have "=getPrice(A2,getSheetName(),G2,F2)" in a cell where A2 is the same as before. G2 is the cell where I put the UPC from the getUPC function or from looking it up manually (e.g. "010086060034"). F2 would be the condition. I don't have anything there for this particular game so the getPrice function will give the used/loose price. My particular script will look for the complete price if you have "complete" or "cib" in that cell. It will look for new if "new" is in that cell. Anything else looks for the loose price.

Since I looked for the loose price I got back the value - 3.99.

One thing to note is that Google Docs will run these scripts every time you open it up (I believe) so you may want to copy the values and remove the formulas unless you want it to call vgpc all the time (may result in errors).

If you can make sense of that, I think that is less work than what I did.  I'm also interested in getting the cib prices on all of my disc games, that would be cool.  I'll have to look into that when I have some downtime.

Aw shit! That's sweet!! :applause:

Sucks that because of how I have my items listed, it doesn't work for 90% of my stuff. Like, I have all my special editions as 'Uncharted 3 (Collectors Edition)", "Third Birthday, The" for games that begin with 'the', and have sub-titled names as "Dragon Age: Origins", so it doesn't work with VGPC's search function.

I'm assuming that I can just manually enter the UPCs and it'll work right? Nevermind, that doesn't work. It seems like it's too demanding with most of my lists too as I get a service invoked too many time error. 

Aw shit! That's sweet!! :applause:

Sucks that because of how I have my items listed, it doesn't work for 90% of my stuff. Like, I have all my special editions as 'Uncharted 3 (Collectors Edition)", "Third Birthday, The" for games that begin with 'the', and have sub-titled names as "Dragon Age: Origins", so it doesn't work with VGPC's search function.

I'm assuming that I can just manually enter the UPCs and it'll work right? Nevermind, that doesn't work. It seems like it's too demanding with most of my lists too as I get a service invoked too many time error.
Yeah, VGPC is extremely specific and weird with their names. I would get the UPC first and use that.

Yes, you can manually enter the UPCs and use those with getPrice. Yeah, like I mentioned Google Docs will run the script *all* the time if you leave it in there and it will result in errors from VGPC for flooding them with requests. I've just run it once in a while and removed the formula but kept the values.

Yeah, VGPC is extremely specific and weird with their names. I would get the UPC first and use that.

Yes, you can manually enter the UPCs and use those with getPrice. Yeah, like I mentioned Google Docs will run the script *all* the time if you leave it in there and it will result in errors from VGPC for flooding them with requests. I've just run it once in a while and removed the formula but kept the values.
Awesome. Even if it's a little finicky, it's badass to be able to check values occasionally.

What is a safe number of scripts to run at once, in your experience?

Awesome. Even if it's a little finicky, it's badass to be able to check values occasionally.

What is a safe number of scripts to run at once, in your experience?
I feel like I was doing it in batches of 20 or so but it's been quite some time since I've run it. I'd probably just see what I can get away with and go with whatever that is.

Haven't posted an update of my collection in a while, hasn't changed all too much, got rid of the Xbox One for a PS4 and added a few odd games and movies here and there, have been trying to work on the SNES games now that I own most of what I want on the Genesis. Did get rid of the HD-DVD's recently finally. Too hard to pull out my camera for this so cell phone pictures it is.

My TV and what I keep out and in use:

zjSmMK3.jpg

My Game Shelves:

q3CaKWl.jpg

Close-Ups:

y7F7DtU.jpg

I9HSYnk.jpg

mJ5ohmK.jpg

JS7ZKh7.jpg

qWWR9OR.jpg

My Other Joy, My Blu-Rays:

XreGerB.jpg

I'm getting to the point where I may have to dump cases for either games, movies or both. Anyone move to a binder system or something similar?

aonQvPK.jpg

aCyErwC.jpg

0VoAIjg.jpg

7Y8Ripn.jpg

M3BQHE8.jpg

cPL99ur.jpg

Sbiy5W6.jpg

Xz6sYGg.jpg

OBEx3Qi.jpg

qE1K9y9.jpg

These are just my physical games not including the cd games which I have a lot more of. Also I have some gameboy, gba and DS games but I was too lazy too pull them out. Not shown is FFX-X2 for vita forgot to put it in. I'm mostly digital on vita which is why that collection looks so small. I happened to be rearranging my games so this was the perfect opportunity to take pics

I'm in the middle of moving everything around/cleaning/reorganizing the house because our baby is starting to show signs of being mobile soon, so this is only a piece of my collection.

I'm more impressed with collections that are neatly organized than I am by size. You might think some of us have large collections but there are people with even larger collections than ours. 

I've seen quite a few people with that Zelda guide box set... was there a deal I missed out on or did all of you actually pay $100 for it? 

I'm more impressed with collections that are neatly organized than I am by size. You might think some of us have large collections but there are people with even larger collections than ours.

I've seen quite a few people with that Zelda guide box set... was there a deal I missed out on or did all of you actually pay $100 for it?
I got mine for ~$75? Well, actually I made my hubby buy it for me, but it was around that price I believe.

They weren't that organized before (I was running out of space so they were sort of stacked on top of each other), but since I'm moving around everything in the house because of the baby I found a space for some of them. I still have to figure out where to put the rest of my games and I've given up on the Atari, we have so many games for it, but no room and since we don't really play it it's sitting in a little storage box in the garage. :-({|= Until we can buy a house and I get a game room it shall sit there. So many posters I want to put up too, but my Hubby won't let me till I have a game room to "nerd out" as he puts it. On the plus side, I did get him to agree to make me a Nintendo table once I do get said room so yay!

Nintendo table as in the 3D N64 logo?

I've been taking advantage of Blu-ray sales lately, here's my humble collection so far:

r8uVEpD.jpg

Collection post 3.  Here is the family handheld collection.  I say family because this includes my daughters handhelds.  The pink DS is my oldest daughters.  My youngest has great taste in consoles as she has claimed every GBA SP that comes home as her own.  We have played every one of these in the last year.  Even had the Gameboy out for a game of Tetris.  Had to show the kids the original portable fun.

gallery_354731_8400_663588.jpg

Hope you guys/gals like them.

I always want to share my collection, but then I see the pics and get intimidated :'(
I always want to post pics of mine, but my apartment is small with not a lot of shelf space anywhere so I have everything spread out :-({|=

someday, when I move I will post up! But by then I will probably have downgraded most of my stuff and it won't be worth it lol. Getting old sucks.

Do it now Masa while you're young. Who care's if its spread out. I doubt anyone would mind.
Lol, I don't know if I am young anymore (32). I mean I dress, how my friend describes it as "business- fuck it" and I listen to music extremely loud all the time but my knee hurts all the time and my girlfriend says I have some gray hair coming in.

I don't know, it makes me sad because it is not organized very well and everyone has such a nice looking collection! maybe on sunday after the 5k I am running I will post some photos. I am ashamed to say it, but one of the "closets" (term used very loosely, only in generally defining what exist behind a door in the apartment and not what a closet should actually be) is filled with game stuff. I have too much stuff...

bread's done
Back