Photo
- - - - -

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines $10 Amazon.com, clawing its way out of the grave

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:45 AM

What do the unofficial patches change? Anybody got a full changelog?

Bah, doesn't matter. I'm too far in to take it from the top.

just read up about this--

the "unofficial patch" 4.2 -- fixes game bugs and brings up some stuff hidden the game's files to "complete" the game.

the one I just posted -- "True" 5.04 - only fixes game bugs.

From scanning some forums, the Unofficial patch is generally better as the "True" patch just kinda bites off of it and doesn't work in the extra content. but both are solid.

#32 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:11 AM

Oh well, I just loaded the "True" patch, too late to change now.

Maybe if I do another run I'll try the 4.2 patch for the extra content, but honestly since reading up about the game it sounds like there's more than enough content as is if you tryout different characters.

Somewhere I read this could be a 100+ hour game if you do everything!

#33 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:04 AM

I can echo what others have already said, this game rocks despite its problems. It has been so long since I beat it I am thinking about playing it again this winter when the gaming rush dies down. I have heard really good things about the unofficial patches so that makes me anxious to play thru it again. Great game.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 panzerjedi

panzerjedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:05 AM

Direct2Drive also has Vampire on sale for $9.95.
http://www.direct2dr...dlines-Download

#35 Skexis

Skexis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:04 AM

Very, but there is an official patch or two as well as extremely good fan patches.

I wondered how those fan patches interact with Steam. Is it even possible to get them to work, or will Steam sense some file sizes aren't right and freak out?

#36 Kuma

Kuma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:17 AM

Personally, from putting an unhealthy amount of time into this game, youd be stupid not to buy it at 50 bucks. Not buying it at 10 is downright criminal. THIS is what Deus Ex 2 should have been

mgs.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#37 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:49 AM

This is good, but I'm pretty sure I got a hard copy for $5. Kind of lame to have a downloadable version for $10. If you can't find it any other way, then don't hesitate to buy it. Honestly, it's a pretty good game.

#38 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:41 AM

This is good, but I'm pretty sure I got a hard copy for $5. Kind of lame to have a downloadable version for $10. If you can't find it any other way, then don't hesitate to buy it. Honestly, it's a pretty good game.

It's 'cause like a large number of RPGs for some reason they sell for a while, then go out of print and go retardedly expensive used because RPGs age better than most other games so people continue to want to buy them years down the road. Arcanum (Another Troika RPG) sells for like $40 used on Amazon. Knights of the Old Republic, even though it's relatively new and presumably was sold in large numbers sells for $18 used. Wizardry 8 sells for $60 used.

Really irritates the piss out of me that almost any time I get a wild hair to pick up an RPG a missed from even a few years back it's selling for prices that large. Generally have to try to find people elsewhere selling 'em for less stupidly high amounts if you wanna play oldies without resorting to piracy.

#39 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:05 AM

I wondered how those fan patches interact with Steam. Is it even possible to get them to work, or will Steam sense some file sizes aren't right and freak out?

Just played a couple hours and it works fine.

This game is soooo much better on my current PC. Tried playing it on my laptop a couple years ago and couldn't get a decent framerate.

Forgot this game has some of the best writing and voice acting ever (in a game.) This is coming from someone who hates pretty much all writing and VA in every game :lol:

#40 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

Bumping as the weekend has begun and this deal shall end soon. I wanna make sure weekend only CAGs get in on this.

#41 Alien Spider

Alien Spider

VIGILANTE JUSTICE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:03 AM

I started playing the game, and if I had to summarize it with one word it would be fucking AWESOME.

Okay, that's two words. But you get my point.

The game is still buggy, even with the patch, but once you learn the nuances it's easier to avoid the hangups. I love this game!

#42 sailorchrono

sailorchrono

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:20 AM

Um >< Sorry, but I'm a newb at using Steam.. and I have no idea how to access it so I can buy this :3

Also wondering; how big is the game? Anyone have any approximate figure on how long it'd take to DL with a DSL connection? ^^;
I don't know what to put here :o

#43 captainfrizo

captainfrizo

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:32 AM

I ordered via Steam after reading some reviews and the praise for it. It's being downloaded as we speak.

#44 odhen

odhen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:13 AM

Just played a couple hours and it works fine.

This game is soooo much better on my current PC. Tried playing it on my laptop a couple years ago and couldn't get a decent framerate.

Forgot this game has some of the best writing and voice acting ever (in a game.) This is coming from someone who hates pretty much all writing and VA in every game :lol:

QFT. The writing and dialogue makes this a truly "mature" game. There's a lot of swearing, but it doesn't feel like it's jammed in there just to be edgy and cool, it's casual and natural.

And the voice acting is indeed great, almost everyone is someone who does VA for a living (you even have John DiMaggio of Futurama, as well as Phil LaMarr as every black guy)

#45 Kuma

Kuma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

Um >< Sorry, but I'm a newb at using Steam.. and I have no idea how to access it so I can buy this :3

Also wondering; how big is the game? Anyone have any approximate figure on how long it'd take to DL with a DSL connection? ^^;

go to www.steampowered.com
download the steam client
???
profit!

its a decent size game, but the steam servers are usually fast, probably about an hour im guessing

mgs.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#46 blucadet3

blucadet3

You know who has a good title...MY MOM!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for bumping this. I almost missed it!

#47 necrojustice

necrojustice

is fighting Tyson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

Bought, thanks OP!

One of my friends bought it before me and was begging me for the good of humanity to play it.

#48 jlseal

jlseal

ULTIMA RATIO REGUM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

Wow, been wanting to pick this up for a while. Was going to wait, but can't pass that price up. I love CAG
Posted Image

#49 tcolberg

tcolberg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:59 AM

Bought it last night because of this thread. I've heard so much about this game and it's excellent single player, that I couldn't let it pass me by for $10. One of the things that finally sold me on getting it now rather than later was someone mentioning earlier that Bloodlines was "what DX: IW should have been". Any comparisons to Deus Ex instantly have my attention. Thanks CAG.

#50 n3xus1

n3xus1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:46 AM

I'm new to Steam and I was wondering how you install the patches listed earlier. The true patch in particular. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Posted Image

#51 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:21 AM

I'm new to Steam and I was wondering how you install the patches listed earlier. The true patch in particular. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

--dl the patch
--unzip it to the game's folder-- program files/Steam/steamapps/common/Vampire (or something like that)

#52 Kuma

Kuma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:41 AM

Bought it last night because of this thread. I've heard so much about this game and it's excellent single player, that I couldn't let it pass me by for $10. One of the things that finally sold me on getting it now rather than later was someone mentioning earlier that Bloodlines was "what DX: IW should have been". Any comparisons to Deus Ex instantly have my attention. Thanks CAG.

That was me, and yes, it is really what IW could have and should have been, i just hope the new project Spector has up his sleave delivers on the good name hes built with DE and Theif

mgs.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#53 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

Amazon dropped the price of this to $10 too, probably until this Steam deal goes away.

Question-I like all the comparisons people are making to Deus Ex, but how gross is this game? I know nothing about this world, and am a bit worried I'd hate the setting.

#54 Kuma

Kuma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

Its a Vampire game set in beautiful Los Angeles, its not overly gross just for the sake of being gross (i.e. Hostel) but it does get a bit scary at times. Anyone who has played it will probably agree with me that the Haunted Mansion level is just downright creepy

mgs.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#55 VirgiltheChicken

VirgiltheChicken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

This has dropped to $10 on amazon as well. For the same price, I'd rather have the discs.

http://www.amazon.co...KX0DER&v=glance

#56 Over easy

Over easy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

This has dropped to $10 on amazon as well. For the same price, I'd rather have the disks.

http://www.amazon.co...KX0DER&v=glance

Ooo, thanks. I was about to order the game over Steam today.
Posted Image

#57 Alien Spider

Alien Spider

VIGILANTE JUSTICE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, if you can go with the discs for the same price, I'd go that route too. Besides, you should be able to use the CD key and link it to Steam if you want to download it. Best of both worlds!

I love this game. My favorite PC game right after Half-Life 2. Discs, download, whatever, I can't recommend this game enough!

As for the setting, it's fairly "gothic", and some of the settings are...unsettling. The haunted mansion level was particularly creepy, but so is another, sort of abandoned hospital like level (which I believe is optional, I just stumbled into it myself).

Anyway, awesome game. Just make sure you download the 1.2 patch if you're going with the discs (or register the game with Steam and d/l it there, download includes the official patch) and Tessmage's TRUE VTMB PATCH ver. 5.04AT.

I just got to Hollywood in the game, I'm not sure how far I am into the game but I've been playing for hours and loving every second of it. :D

#58 tankexmortis

tankexmortis

SHAQFUSHAQFUSHAQFU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

I'm just here to say that this game is amazing and anyone who doesn't play it will miss out on one of the greatest gaming experiences available.

Oh, and PLAY AS A MALKAVIAN. Seriously, best dialog ever.
Spoiler

#59 vpr

vpr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

deals over on steam it appears... was about to buy it too...

kos-mos_sig.jpg

#60 Animefalcon

Animefalcon

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:37 PM

yea, samething
nov 5 isn't even over yet