Check Mii Out Channel - Nov 11

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
miilostcast.jpg

A new Wii channel called the Check Mii Out Channel launches Nov. 11, allowing Wii owners a venue to show off their Mii creations and vote on others. Users download the program for free from the Wii Shop. The channel will have a "Posting Plaza" where users can "submit, exchange or just browse." They''ll be able to look at a random selection of 1,000 Miis or see community favorites, there will also be the ability to tag favorites and import them onto their Wii.

There is also a contest section on the Check Mii Out Channel allowing users to submit their own creation based on a theme like a fictional or historical figure. There's no explanation of what these people win ... bragging rights? We'd be more excited about this if the Miis actually did something in the last year -- although that seems to be changing. Oh well, at least there's Mario Galaxy next week.
Source

EDIT: This is from Nintendo's press release

Free Interactive Channel Lets Users View, Vote for the Best Mii Creations

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 8, 2007 – It's no secret that fans of Nintendo's Wii™ system love their Mii™ characters – those adorably cartoonish caricatures of friends and family members that can be used in games like Wii Sports™. Some of the more artistic fans have even taken it upon themselves to make Miis of celebrities, politicians and fictional characters. Nintendo supports consumers' creative spirit with the Nov. 11 evening launch of the Check Mii Out Channel. This free new channel can be downloaded from the WiiWare™ section of the Wii Shop Channel by people who have their Wii systems connected to the Internet.

"The Check Mii Out Channel lets people show off their Mii creations and vote on those created by others," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "It's yet another way that we're building fun, interactive communities of Wii owners without charging them extra for the privilege."

In the Posting Plaza, users can submit, exchange or just browse Miis posted by others in their region or worldwide. The channel offers the ability to look at a random selection of 1,000 Miis or to see just the current or all-time favorites. Players have a variety of ways to search for specific Miis, including by the name of its creator or by a number specific to each Mii. Once users have found that "special Mii," they can even tag their favorites or import them to their own Wii systems.

The contest section of the Check Mii Out Channel challenges users to submit Mii creations to represent a specific person, character or theme. These could include historical figures (Abraham Lincoln or Vincent Van Gogh), fictional characters (the Tooth Fairy or the New Year's Baby) or descriptive themes ("the biggest bully ever" or "the overbearing boss"). Users can then vote on Miis submitted by others to determine the Mii that best fits the challenge. Each contest will generally last two weeks: one for creating and submitting Miis, and the second week for people to vote on the results.

The Check Mii Out Channel is the latest addition to other fun, interactive informational channels, such as the News Channel, Everybody Votes Channel and Forecast Channel. Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com.

The worldwide innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™, Nintendo DS™, Game Boy® Advance and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. Since 1983, Nintendo has sold nearly 2.4 billion video games and more than 420 million hardware units globally, and has created industry icons like Mario™, Donkey Kong®, Metroid®, Zelda™ and Pokémon®. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.

Nothing THAT exciting, but like the Everybody Votes Channel it'll pass a good time killer. This could be interesting.

So. Anyone else semi-looking forward to this? I am. I'd love to have a new channel :applause:

Cool, would rather have whatever channel they're planning for rating games and whatnot, though. Hopefully that will be out before Christmas.

And what was Joystiq hoping the Miis did in the last year? Act out MacBeth in your Mii Plaza?

The contest section of the Check Mii Out Channel challenges users to submit Mii creations to represent a specific person, character or theme. These could include historical figures (Abraham Lincoln or Vincent Van Gogh), fictional characters (the Tooth Fairy or the New Year's Baby) or descriptive themes ("the biggest bully ever" or "the overbearing boss"). Users can then vote on Miis submitted by others to determine the Mii that best fits the challenge. Each contest will generally last two weeks: one for creating and submitting Miis, and the second week for people to vote on the results.
This actually sounds really awesome.

They should give Wii Points to contest winners.

I'm actually kind of stoked to have a source of downloadable celebrity/novelty Miis. There have been occasions when I see, say, the cast of The Office created in Mii form and I think, "Wow, those would be cool to have." But I don't have the time or the motivation to recreate them all myself.

[quote name='javeryh']This should be cool but they really need to add more features to the Mii creation system...[/QUOTE]
Yep. That would make some sense as its been almost a year. At least let me draw on my shirt!

[quote name='CouRageouS']Yep. That would make some sense as its been almost a year. At least let me draw on my shirt![/quote]

Not bloody likely, so long as some fuck knob could potentially put "fuck knob" on there.

Interesting... At least it's nice to see SOMETHING new with the Miis.

Yeah, I don't think they'd ever allow people to draw on the Miis. But it seems like it would be a good idea to have at least some different clothes (approved by Nintendo of course) available. It would have been even better if they could have been unlockables from games or whatnot (do NOT want them to be for purchase :bomb:). How cool would a Metroid Prime 3 shirt be for completing MP3? And a different one for completing it in Hyper mode or something? How about a special shirt for getting 120 starts in Mario Galaxy? :drool: Oh, Nintendo, the lost opportunities astound me...

I predict we won't see any significant Mii customization improvements until the Wii incarnation of Animal Crossing comes along. It's almost a given that you will use Miis in that game, and it seems like a slam dunk that they would allow you to unlock clothes and other accessories to use on your Mii outside the game.

But I've always liked io's achievement-type unlockables for the Miis. Seems awfully late for them to start doing that at this point, but I haven't given up hope just yet.

[quote name='io']Interesting... At least it's nice to see SOMETHING new with the Miis.

Yeah, I don't think they'd ever allow people to draw on the Miis. But it seems like it would be a good idea to have at least some different clothes (approved by Nintendo of course) available. It would have been even better if they could have been unlockables from games or whatnot (do NOT want them to be for purchase :bomb:). How cool would a Metroid Prime 3 shirt be for completing MP3? And a different one for completing it in Hyper mode or something? How about a special shirt for getting 120 starts in Mario Galaxy? :drool: Oh, Nintendo, the lost opportunities astound me...[/QUOTE]

I agree so much with this.
Having different faces, hair, clothes, etc unlocked by doing various things in games would just be THAT cool.

I'd love to make a crazy Mii with Peach's dress, Samus' helmet, and Link's sword. Bwaahaahaha!

[quote name='Tybee']I predict we won't see any significant Mii customization improvements until the Wii incarnation of Animal Crossing comes along. It's almost a given that you will use Miis in that game, [highlight]and it seems like a slam dunk[/highlight] that they would allow you to unlock clothes and other accessories to use on your Mii outside the game.[/QUOTE]

You'd think... But this is Nintendo we're talking about.

And Liboo - you keep your crazy Miis away from me ;).

[quote name='io']And Liboo - you keep your crazy Miis away from me ;).[/QUOTE]
That reminds me.. the other day I had a blinking blue light that got me all excited and it turend out to be a homeless lilboo picture :whistle2:(

[quote name='CouRageouS']That reminds me.. the other day I had a blinking blue light that got me all excited and it turend out to be a homeless lilboo picture :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

:rofl:
Yeah sorry, I just got around to putting up some Halloween pics and I sent them out to random people!! LUCKY YOU!!!! LOL

Oh wow, I just realized right now that 11th was today. (LOL and I'm the OP!)

Well the day isn't over yet. I'm quite interested to see how this all turns out.
After this comes out, that means they just HAVE to give us our DS Demo channel \\:D/

[quote name='lilboo']After this comes out, that means they just HAVE to give us our DS Demo channel \\:D/[/quote]

Can't wait for that.

They may even do it overnight. I mean, most Nintendo messages I've gotten have been glowing blue when I wake up, so I have to imagine they're arriving between 3-7am.

Which, on that note, why doesn't Nintendo send out messages when big games come out? Seems like having every Wii in the country glowing blue the morning a game comes out seems like it would be, you know, helpful for sales.

Has anyone actually gone into the Wii Shop Channel & look?
Actually, for these things.. don't you have to do a firmware update?
My Wii is unavailable right now (someone is playing it :lol: )..but someone go check for updates..and see what happens!

[quote name='lilboo']Has anyone actually gone into the Wii Shop Channel & look?
Actually, for these things.. don't you have to do a firmware update?
My Wii is unavailable right now (someone is playing it :lol: )..but someone go check for updates..and see what happens![/quote]

I checked a few hours ago and nothing.
Didn't bother recently though.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']lol at nintendo and deadlines. Why don't they just release it days earlier, that way, they aren't facking late.[/QUOTE]

For the same reason I don't eat a rare steak when I wanted it medium well - because it's not done yet.

[quote name='Strell']For the same reason I don't eat a rare steak when I wanted it medium well - because it's not done yet.[/quote]

True words, speaks you.

Its available now.

EDIT: More awesome menu music :)
Choose you main Mii (Mii Artisan they're called)
Channel news service available for subscription. New right to your message board

More:
You choose initials and a skill for your Mii before you send it on out
entry number? Mine was 0939-1698-6030

Regional or Worldwide search

Contests: Currently, there is a worldwide contest to make Mario without a cap. 6 days remaining.

Check Mii out and Mii channel are not intergrated. You must leave Check me out to create/edit Mii's as well as to make sure you've gotten any Mii's that you've requested

Im downloading it now. I just went into the Wii Shop.. it was there. I never got my message :(.. but I probably will AFTER I download it.. LOL

Didnt get a message actually. Just rendomly turned on my Wii and checked. Pretty damn cool so far
Love the cheesy fucking music

EDIT: just sent in a mario. No cap, awesome afro :)

I keep getting a transaction error "204708" whenever I try to download it. ARGH! NO! Okay.. now the numbers keep going up. It's now an error "204904".

Right, slightly less excited about this now.

I sent my Wii in for repairs, and they replaced it. So, since the Wii thinks none of my 35 Miis are 'mine', I can't access the channel. Guess I'll have to go create some. Bah.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']"You will be unable to retrieve your Mii"

Kinda ruins it...:???:[/QUOTE]
I was wondering about that. So if you submit your Mii do you lose it? If so, that makes no sense, whatsoever.

Huh? You keep your Mii, it doesnt go anywhere

I uploaded my main Mii (me), a mario for the contest, and Ive downloaded someone elses Mii.

Nothing got messed up anywhere

bread's done
Back