Patapon 2 - Download Only, No UMD Release

While I loved Patapon for about the first half of the missions, all the grinding to afford better patapons got old and I never finished it. I hope the sequel has a little more variety.

I just started playing Patapon about a week ago. I have played about 5 hours of it and I love it. The grinding doesn't bother me. I never got around to LocoRoco but i plan on playing it.

This news is very exciting too me because i am very interested in both games.

Definitely looking forward to Patapon 2. Hope there's a way to import original saves. I beat the game last week and am currently collecting mithril to make ultimate weapons. I might have done more grinding than I needed mid-game (completely missed the fact that I could make better units so wasted a ton of ka-ching and time trying to build up base level ones), but never had trouble keeping the beat so it was totally engrossing.

:)

57.png

i love the little patapons, the sounds, the cute little battle cries, but man, it's freaking anal! i just can't beat the dessert area... i mean come on, you need to be in the Fever mode to do the rain dance, it's just plain mean... i mean, it's like asking average Joe to play Fur Elise without making a single mistake. Pata pata pata pon, pata pata pata pon (fading away).

I hope this does not bode well, and I'm sure Gamestop feels the same way :p

Having an actual copy of the game is nice and also allows for re-sale value. Going download only kills the ability for us to re-sell our copy and make up for some of the loss, and I hope if indeed all games go download only that Sony offers a better memory stick solution and has demos for EVERY game, because I do not want to end up downloading a game only to hate it and be SOL.

Out of curiosity how big will this file be? Can you re-download it if you delete it? I only have a 4 gig. Bleh. Can you transfer the PSP games to the PS3 hard drive?

It's the same as any PSN game on the PS3, so you could download it on the PS3 and transfer it over to the PSP whenever you like or just keep it on the memory stick. You can download it as much as you like, so there's no need to worry about transferring it. It shouldn't be any more than a few hundred MB's since it's not CG-heavy like either of the Syphon Filter games.

I hope it does well to give Sony the go ahead on putting more current PSP games on PSN and not so much of these obscure games nobody's ever heard of that have been released in the past few weeks. I also hope it gives them more confidence to work on getting more original content for the PSP, like Beats and the Syphon Filter MP game, instead of PSN ports and retail releases. SCEA's been a bit too hesitant to do this that I'd like to see them get any kind of message that this kind of thing is okay to do.

It will be nice to have Patapon 2 at my fingertips to play whenever I like without having to put a UMD in the system to play it.

I had planned on buying this on launch day, but not now.

The more disc based games that come out, the more I will buy.

The more that are digitally distributed, the more I will pirate.

Opening up to see a voucher is much more appealing then just receiving a voucher itself or not seeing a game case at all. Judging by the reactions from most people online a lot of pre-orders are going to be canceled and some people are going as far as importing the EU version considering It's already out and about $20 shipped from Europe. The $5 might be decent savings but selling used can still net you some more cash especially if the game becomes rare in UMD format or what not.

I'd say the best thing about going digitial is the game will never become "rare" and everyone has a chance to buy. Of course with digitial download your prices will also remain the same for quite some time.

I'm just overly disappointed that the US doesn't get a UMD release and It's strictly download. If they put both offers on the table one being $15 for download, and $20 for a actual UMD that would give Sony a better of idea of what sells better.

I'm wondering if Gamestop or other stores won't carry this since it will just be a voucher, considering Gamestop will probably get a whopping $2 versus getting a used copy and making triple the profit if it sells. Digitial Distribution remains the biggest thread to Gamestop, and I have a feeling they will do something about it rather then adapt.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Of course with digitial download your prices will also remain the same for quite some time.
[/quote]

Exactly. And how will someone sell this used? I have a feeling you will only be able to use the download code X amount of times and after that its invalid. So, in that case, no used game discount. (Unless Frisky is correct in saying you can download it as much as you like) But also, no NEW game discount. For instance, I just bought Fallout 3 brand new for $35. A very good deal...but if it were download only, I'd never get that price.

Basically if a game scores high reviews and sells constantly you'll never see a deal. Remember how long it took the first Halo to drop in price on the XBox? Imagine if that was download only... lol. It will also kill sites like CAG in terms of deals because we would only be posting the weekly steam deal, or a price cut on the XBox 360 at dell.com.

I know DD is only a matter of time but I like choice, and if people don't then let them buy Patapon over the PSN and prove us wrong and support DD.

Oh, and before you point out Amazon has deals on XBLA titles - keep in mind that Amazon is even allowed to sell them. If everything were to go Digital expect MS/Sony/Microsoft to have full control over pricing and their library.

And actually I just thought of a few things. More than just the Playstation Store could sell these downloads, like Amazon is doing with XBLA games. So, you can get deals that way. Also, if they sell vouchers, then you would in fact be able to buy it from an online retailer or eBay for a discount. But I still prefer to have a box, manual, and game disc/cartridge. I guess in that since, Im a little old fashioned.

And they are just doing this as a test anyways. If it doesnt do well, then they will scrap the idea, and if it does...they will keep it. No biggie.

[quote name='briandadude']Fail.

:shame:[/QUOTE]

Actually the fail is Sony alienating customers who would've willingly gone out and bought products for their systems.

I'll be happy to buy a disc version.

It's far more morally wrong to release stuff digitally only.

I've never connected my PSP to the net and don't care to. And I don't have a memory stick large enough to hold the game even if I chose to connect. I know I could do these things relatively easily and cheaply, but I don't care quite enough to bother. Pity for Sony, cause I would have bought the game otherwise.

[quote name='optimusprime8062']Exactly. And how will someone sell this used? I have a feeling you will only be able to use the download code X amount of times and after that its invalid. So, in that case, no used game discount. (Unless Frisky is correct in saying you can download it as much as you like) But also, no NEW game discount. For instance, I just bought Fallout 3 brand new for $35. A very good deal...but if it were download only, I'd never get that price.[/quote]
The download code will be a one time use code like any other voucher you'd get, but you'll be able to redownload it from your account as much as you like if you need to delete it from your memory stick for space reasons. The normal PSN rules of allowing the game to be downloaded to five separate systems at once should still apply, so you could go the gamesharing route if you care the most about getting the game for cheap.

To say there won't be any discounts or sales on download-only games isn't exactly the case since Sony and Microsoft have held sales and discounted games, usually due to wanting to boost the sales numbers for some time. Only Nintendo's VC and Wiiware don't really have any sales or reductions from what I can recall.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']if this sells well, I wouldn't mind at all if it means download versions being cheaper... it's $5 cheaper as a download.[/quote]
I haven't seen an actual price for the PSN version in any of the official reports, besides the rumor, so where did you see that at?

Canceling my preorder in the morning. I may download from the PSN if the game is 15. I made a pact with myself that I won't go over that price for a download only game.

IMO sony handled this all wrong. If they want a test they should of just given us day and date umd/digital release.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

I haven't seen an actual price for the PSN version in any of the official reports, besides the rumor, so where did you see that at?[/quote]

from random news sources they say that it's $20 at retail and $15 on PSN.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']from random news sources they say that it's $20 at retail and $15 on PSN.[/quote]
If Sony pulls this crap, they'll just piss off their retail partners... Why would someone buy it at retail for $5 more when they've just gotta download the thing anyway?

I'll just import it eventually when I can find it fairly cheap. I'm definitely not a fan of this. I have no problem offering an option to download it but completely eliminating a physical copy of the game is lame.

Um... no thanks Sony.

How is this even proper marketing research? Wouldn't selling digital vs UMD in the same regional market give a better indication as to the current viability of digital downloads?

bread's done
Back