Rumor: DSi Dated and Price for US - $179.99

xtreme_Zr2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Tried to search for the DSi post we had going after E3 but I can't find it...I guess that shows the interest in this thing. Regardless, IGN floated some rumors - from multiple sources - that the release of the DSi stateside will be on:

April 4th, 2009 at MSRP of $179.99.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/944/944589p1.html?RSSwhen2009-01-13_130100&RSSid=944589

I don't think I'll pick it up on release, especially with the strong DS lineup coming in the spring. What does everyone else think? Buy or Pass?

[quote name='icpmattj']Whats the chance of DS lites price drop once the DSI comes out?[/QUOTE]

Virtually nonexistent, and at best, maybe down to $109.99. Maybe.

Think of this as the GBA/DS set up a few years ago - Nintendo is trying to position these things as separate entities that satisfy different markets. Where the GBA was the gaming device, the DS was going to offer new touchscreen controls and originally be its own unique platform. Then the sales took over, and the GBA was no longer viable. In short, it's DS vs GBA Round 2, but with the DS replacing the GBA and the DSi replacing the DS (which sounds confusing, but you have to drive the point home).

During that time (again, "round one," so 2004-2005), however, the GBA never really dropped in price. So I suspect the same will happen here - Nintendo is going to call the DSi more of a portable media device versus the DS, which is now seen as their prime gaming handheld. This justifies having "high" prices on both, since it's like any company maintaining multiple offerings of the same base product, but each having a slightly different focus. Car companies would be a good comparison.

Don't argue with me on this if you hate semantics - I'm just going by what I imagine Nintendo's execs will do. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

I imagine if DS sales stall by mid-year, we might see a price drop in the fall at earliest, with a small, small chance of it happening during the summer. If the DSi stalls by summer (which I think it might), expect a price drop for it by then. This goes by the reasoning that it releases in April, which I think it won't - I'm thinking September at the earliest, especially when you consider things like peripheral sales that use the GBA slot, as well as the fact that the DSLite is having a hell of a year in America.

So, as for the thread itself: I think the launch date is off, the price sounds accurate. Until DSware really appears, there won't be much of a reason to plunk down for the system, especially since third parties aren't going to support it until it reaches a multimillion install base here in the states, and 10+ million worldwide.

These are my guesses.

Indeed, the rumored price is far too much for what the DSi does, especially considering that, as IGN pointed out, the DSi is only $25 more than the Lite in Japan, and the rumored price is $50 more than the Lite in the US. Also, as DMK said, this does not make the DSi very price-competitive with the PSP and the 360. $150 would be far more reasonable for what you get, but $180 will just relegate the DSi to an early grave in the US.

hmmm...

I uncertain about this. If this new unit is able to play movies converted from ripped dvd's, then yea I will check it out...

Now was it addressed how the system will scale older ds games made for the smaller screens or will it just border it?

I was kinda interested before but $180 is definitely too much. Maybe $150. It's like Nintendo doesn't want to take our money when it comes to downloadable content, first a lack of storage space on the Wii, now the DSi with a price that's just to much. If it included cameras that were better, screens that were noticably better instead of marginally better, and battery life that was better instead of worse, then $180 might be ok. But for something that's so slightly better than the DS Lite, a $50 difference is way too much.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Pass. Just got my boyfriend a lite for Xmas and these new features don't excite me at all.[/quote]

For me its more of a, how many of those new features will I really be using on my DSi if I pick one up. Only time will tell. The in game adjustable brightness though is a cool feature I would love on my DS Lite, but beggars can't be choosers. They can be cheap though, DSi at $130 and I'll bite! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Pass. I haven't bought a DS game since Phantom Hourglass back in October 2007. Have there been any good games released between then and now? I haven't been keeping up with it since I mainly play my PSP on the go...

Not with tastes like yours. The DS is about decidedly Japanese development. Particularly small, niche and in otherwise dead genres. Go look at the best DS games of 2008 poll. Its all text-based adventures and jrpgs.

Its the Japanese successor to the PS2.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Not with tastes like yours. The DS is about decidedly Japanese development. Particularly small, niche and in otherwise dead genres. Go look at the best DS games of 2008 poll. Its all text-based adventures and jrpgs.

Its the Japanese successor to the PS2.[/quote]

That's what I thought. RPGs aren't my thing - I play them occasionally but I just don't have the time. I periodically look at metacritic to find the high ranking games but other than the Metroidvania games (which I think I've played enough of) there aren't any high up on the list that catch my eye.

Well, it seems like the overwhelming concensus is the DSi is doomed to fail - here at CAG atleast. I'm sure there will still be some soccer moms that pick it up and if they announce some kind of crazy interactivity with the Wii then I think it will quickly go mainstream.

There hasn't even been a single person that seemed excited about this on here! :hot:

For what it's worth I'll try to keep this thread updated as more info pours in.

EDIT-And Strell, I agree with you on the date. Seems odd to have so many high profile releases for the DS in March and then quickly push the DSi the next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need more details about the DSi Virtual Console before I make any sort of decision. If it allows you to link the system with the Wii and share VC games between the systems (except perhaps N64 games) then I'll probably get one. If the DSi VC is fairly extensive in it's own right (Wonderswan, Gameboy Color, Neo Geo Pocket) then I'll probably get one. If it is what I think it will be, I'll pass.

Yeah, I have no need for the features and don't really play my DS that much anymore anyway. Like others, RPGs, SRGs, text adventures etc. aren't my bag so I mainly keep it around for puzzlers etc.

Though I did just get The World Ends With You off Goozex and need to find time to start that. The combat etc. in that game sound different enough from the standard JRPG that I was willing to give it a try.

We really need a sequel to games like New Super Mario Bros, Super Princess Peach, Kirby Canvas Curse etc. Those type of 2D games are what got me to buy a DS in the first place.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

We really need a sequel to games like New Super Mario Bros, Super Princess Peach, Kirby Canvas Curse etc. Those type of 2D games are what got me to buy a DS in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously. All those games were fantastic! I was surprised when they release Kirby Squeak Squad and it was a regular 2D Kirby game... it was fun game but I was hoping for another Canvas Curse style game.

I don't think we'll see another NSMB because it seems like that game is still selling very well.

I wish they'd make a sequel to the US version of Super Mario Bros 2 for the DS. It'd have to be some wacky title like they gave the sequel to Final Fantasy X.

Nintendo has moved most of its 1st party support over to the Wii, since the DS can stand on its own with just 3rd parties. But hey, Rhythm Heaven is coming soon.

Surely there are some 3rd party games that can meet your needs.

Not recently. There's just a real lack of good 2D platformers the past couple of years for whatever reason.

As you said, all the good games seem to be RPGs and text adventures lately.

Indeed... $180 does seem a bit rich (even if it comes with $10 for the store). Will have to see if DSWare has anything great before jumping in on this particular toy.

Hmm, losing B/C with GBA games seems to be a bad price to pay for an online marketplace, no matter the price-point.

I'll stick to my DSlite for now (or, my GF's, since I can't find mine...) for the next year or two, and see where the DSi goes.

Very much wait and see. I'm not looking to do anything until my DSphat launch unit dies. When that day comes Nintendo will have to make some very good arguments for the DSi's price point.

The additional features are all well and good but only if they've come up with strong apps to exploit them. I've little doubt I'll be able to run my GBC/GBA library in an effective, if not Nintendo approved, way via use of flash memory.

$150 for the DSi, with the DSlite dropping near $100, is more what I'd hope to see by the next holiday season.

$180 is $80 too much. There's nothing really there to justify a price increase. All the technology in the DSi is years old.

I've always supported Nintendo and are happy for their success, but if it's true, this is a little bit of their late 80's "we're on top so you'll suck our dick and be happy to tell us about it" mentality shining through.

ahaha 179.99 i'll just stick to my Ds lite. this is the reason i bought a 360 over a ps3 too expensive, and know that ff is going to the 360 i won't ever buy a ps3 :)

[quote name='Masterkyo']DS Lite should drop $99.99 by april and DSI Lite MSRP $139.99[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but the price quoted in this rumor is roughly what it costs in Japan.

I'm on my second DSlite, and if this one dies, I have a Pokemon DSlite bundle waiting in the wings. If my current and my spare DS both go, then maaaaaybe I'd consider a DSi. But really the loss of GBA slot is not worth the tradeoff for better screens and cameras I will never use.

If this could play VC games from the Wii I'd buy it.

If I'm gaming on my TV I want it to be xbox/ps2/wii. My handhelds are for more of the "older" style games.

Im gonna have to pass on this one, especially at this price. I love my ds lite and dont really see a reason to upgrade it to the dsi.
How many times has anyone really used the camera on their phone? I just don't ever see myself using it on the DS.

This will sell a royal fuckload (statistically speaking ;))no matter the price. It's Nintendo. I have no doubts about that.

The camera is mostly useless to me, as I have a cell phone camera should I need one on the go. And I'm 100% more likely to be carrying my phone compared to my DS. The WiiDSWare may tempt all of us eventually, but if it's anything like the WiiWare selection thus far, then Nintendo ought to be paying me to forego GBA playback.

But, yeah, still. It's Nintendo. This'll make them even filthier rich. Any they can allocate money to a touch generations game centered around balancing your bank accounts. FINALLY.

[quote name='mykevermin']
But, yeah, still. It's Nintendo. This'll make them even filthier rich. Any they can allocate money to a touch generations game centered around balancing your bank accounts. FINALLY.[/QUOTE]

How much longer are you going to keep playing the role of TheMykeKnyte?

I'm not wearing PS3 jammies, so I'm not sure how my claiming "Nintendo's going to make a fuckload of money on this dude" makes me like that hombre.

With the way Nintendo is going i don't see anything solid being released for the DSi. The cameras are pointless and the software that goes along. The voice manipulation software will get old after one use. I'd only pick one up if my current DS dies and there are no more lites available. The slightly larger screen is the only benefit. $180 is rediculous since it is the same unit with slight improvements. I don't believe Sony charged more for the PSP 2000 or PSP 3000. I may be wrong and feel free to abuse.

Does anyone have information about how DSiWare works exactly?
I get that it's basically the DS version of WiiWare.
What I'm curious about is how accounts work?
Right now I have a DS lite and both of my boys have the original DS. If in some far off future we all had a DSi, could I buy something from DSiWare once and share it between us? Or would we each have to purchase the same game?
What happens if one's DSi gets stolen, lost, or broken? Can DSiWare then be placed on a replacement unit?

bread's done
Back