Ratchet & Clank Future: ACiT - Gen. Discussion & Info

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Hey everyone,

Greetings from the SCEA Blogger’s Lounge at GDC! Last week, we teased you with our Ratchet & Clank Future Weapons Contest and the new action figures coming from DC Direct. While I’ll talk more about this in a bit, we are very happy at Insomniac to finally announce the name of our next game.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time will conclude the story arc that started in Tools of Destruction and continued in Quest for Booty. There will be plenty to talk about over the next few months as we work towards our fall release, and we can’t wait to share more. But for those of you wanting a first look, tune into Gametrailers TV this week on Spike TV (check your local listings for time) for the world premiere of the teaser trailer.

For those of you who have been e-mailing us with questions about the Weapons Contest and asking when and where you can submit, you’ll be happy to know that submissions are open as of tomorrow! I’m also excited to announce the Grand Prize winner will have their weapon included in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, will be given a life-size replica of the weapon, and will win a trip to San Diego Comic-Con to meet with the dev team and reveal the winning weapon to the public there!

As inspiration for you guys, tune in tomorrow for a little video roundtable talking about some of our favorite weapons stories and experiences over the years of working on Ratchet & Clank weapons.

That’s all for now, make sure you tune into GTTV to check out the teaser trailer!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/03/26/introducing-ratchet-clank-future-a-crack-in-time/

Can't wait. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, the demo was easy. Full game gets a bit harder and there's more to it. I still liked the demo personally because I've been a fan of the series for years.

I grabbed Tools of Destruction on day 1 and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this as well.

The Ratchet and Clank games are just awesome. I wonder if they'll add multiplayer in this one. Probably not, but it would be cool.

The demo didn't pull me in either but once I had my hands on a retail version, I was hooked. Give it a shot if you at all enjoy platforming games.

Unfortunately, looks like it might just be another downloadable game. :whistle2:( However, it WOULD still have trophies (story continues after QFB):
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/26/ratchet-and-clank-continues-episodic-adventure-in-a-crack-in-time/

I still hope there's another retail R&C, since I love the series so much.
[quote name='QiG']The demo didn't pull me in either but once I had my hands on a retail version, I was hooked. Give it a shot if you at all enjoy platforming games.[/QUOTE]It's the best platforming series IMO. I loved it on PS2 so much, it was the MAIN reason I bought a PS3.

What makes them so sure it's a downloadable game? I put the PR in google translator and there's nothing mentioned at all about being either a downloadable or retail game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What makes them so sure it's a downloadable game? I put the PR in google translator and there's nothing mentioned at all about being either a downloadable or retail game.[/QUOTE]I dunno, it's what PS3 Fanboy claims (but then again, they are wrong so many times such as can't get some publishers right). Regardless, I'll just wait and see. It could be either. I hope its a full retail.

For sure, we do know a new R&C is coming.

[quote name='smiggity']They need to step it up. Q4B was mediocre and Tools of Destruction had no co-op. Cmon now[/QUOTE]TBH, I rather have them leave co-op out. When you make a game co-op, you have to re-configure the game to work with co-op. It can be good because it gives you a chance to play with a buddy, but then it normally leaves those who prefer playing single player in the dust because either the gameplay basically requires it (like RE5), or the story gets cut down (look at Ratchet Deadlocked). I doubt its going to have any online (and we all know most Sony published games, especially around the Fall, will have a mountain of online issues) since Insomniac has stated they only have so many resources. When they developed ToD, they said it was either short single player with online, or deeper single player and no online (and they chose the single player route, bringing the series back to its original roots). That's one huge downfall when Insomiac is trying to mix up IPs every year (they use to only stick with one yearly, along with taking a year off every once in a while).

As long as its like ToD, I'm happy. I still enjoyed Quest for Booty a lot, but it did cut out some things I really liked about R&C (such as traveling back and forth between areas in the space ship).

It just is dumb when you are rolling around the entire game with 2 people on screen but your friend cant control one? They might as well do the co-op if there are going to be multiple characters

[quote name='smiggity']It just is dumb when you are rolling around the entire game with 2 people on screen but your friend cant control one? They might as well do the co-op if there are going to be multiple characters[/QUOTE]Uh, Clank is on top of Ratchet. And there are some missions you have to alternate. It's like removing clank from Ratchet's back most of the time, just wouldn't feel like typical R&C (they are usually separated for just a short time). And if it was like a typical R&C game where they let someone control Clank while the other control Ratchet (going separate paths), then what is the 2nd player going to do after they are done? I rather they don't mess with the formula. Ratchet Deadlocked already did and it was definitely the worst Ratchet game ever (and Insomniac definitely heard the criticisms).

R&C is just one of those games I prefer to play by myself, relaxing. The only way I think it would work is if there was an entirely different co-op mode, but I rather Insomniac not do it because it would cut back on its main story (just look at what had to happen to R2 making that sacrifice. Although I love R2, story got cut to make co-op work).
[quote name='freakyzeeky']First thing that came into my head when I saw the thread. :lol:[/QUOTE]Not surprised. ;)

i used one of those free foreign language translators so it may be rough.

Paris, March 26 2009: you already wanted to travel in the time? This fall, Ratchet and Clank will be return on PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) in France as you never saw them. This time, they have for mission to save the future! You hold ready for another episode of chaos intergalactique with Ratchet & Clank™: To Ace In Time, the last opus of the frankness Ratchet & Clank™ to the millions of sold copies of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

Conclusive the events that began in Ratchet & Clank™: Operation Destruction and in Ratchet & Clank™: Quest for Booty, Ratchet & Clank™: To Ace in Time will reply to certain of the biggest questions than put themselves the frankness fans. After discovering that the disappearance of Clank - the "darling" small robot - had been hatched by the Dr Nefarious, Ratchet, equipped of his fearsome key, leaves in waterspout to save his better friend. Throughout the adventure, they go both of them discovery the secrets of their origin and of their fate. This is the moment duet will be about to to rediscover itself, that are Ratchet and Clank will have to put themselves the most important one of the questions: their destinies secured? Or did the moment come for the biggest duet of the universe to separate itself for voucher?

If you again never played Ratchet & Clank and that you discover this frankness to success, you prepare to you dive in a hilarious history and a lot of action and to leave you to embark on a trip in the time of the most entertaining ones.
Based on the technology PS3™ of fourth generation of Insomniac Games, Ratchet & Clank™: To Ace in Time gives you the possibility to play your own film of generated organization on computer on your PS3™. Rediscover humor and the jokes refined series Ratchet & Clank™ and discover an all new very spatial gameplay: you beat in the space, explore the surrounding solar system and discover hidden objects and to collect. You will rediscover yourself facing of all new enemies but also facing of old knowledge, and will have to eliminate them using your new weapons and of your new ones be able.

You prepare to leave for a trip in the time being delirious with Ratchet & Clank™: To Ace In Time, that go out to the fall 2009. It is a matter of the new opus of the very popular frankness Ratchet & Clank™, of which eight titles already took out on the consoles Playstation®2, PS3™ and PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable). With Ratchet and Clank, the future never is certain!

It's a full game.

English PR

The galaxy's coolest duo are back on PLAYSTATION®3!

Get ready for time-bending fun and intergalactic mayhem with Ratchet and ClankTM: A Crack in Time

London, 26th March: Ever wanted to travel back in time? This Autumn Ratchet and Clank are back on PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) in the UK like you’ve never seen them before – and they’re on a mission to save the future!! Get ready another round of intergalactic chaos with Ratchet and Clank™: A Crack In Time, the latest addition to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s multi-million selling Ratchet and Clank™ franchise.

Concluding the events that began in Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction and Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time will answer some of the franchise fans’ biggest questions. After discovering that lovable robot Clank’s disappearance was engineered by Dr. Nefarious, the Wrench-swinging Ratchet races to save his best friend. Along the way, both will finally uncover the hidden truth behind their origins, and discover their ultimate destinies. As the duo come closer to reuniting, they’ll have to ask themselves the biggest question of all: Do Ratchet and Clank’s destinies lie with each other? Or is it finally time for the universe’s greatest duo to separate for good?

If you haven’t played Ratchet & Clank before and are new to this successful franchise, prepare to be immersed in hilarious action-packed galactic capers and discover how time travel will entertain you in ways never before experienced.

Powered by Insomniac Games’ fourth-generation PS3 technology, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time will continue to bring the experience of playing your own computer generated animation movie to PS3. Expect all the laughs and witty banter of a Ratchet and Clank title, as you enjoy all-new space gameplay that gives players the opportunity to engage in space battles, explore the surrounding star system, and discover hidden items and collectables... You’ll come head-to-head with a brand-new cast of baddies, and some old favourites, and obliterate them with cool new weapons and abilities.

Get ready for a brand new time-bending, laugh-out-loud adventure when Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time arrives in stores in Autumn 2009. It’s the newest addition to the smash-hit Ratchet and Clank franchise, with eight titles across PlayStation®2, PS3™ and PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) platforms. With Ratchet and Clank, the future is never certain!

Check out more at www.playstation.com or contact your local PR manager.

Playing ToD right now, wish it had trophies but it's pretty good so far. I think i'm like 2 hours in (just got the ship parts), but thats the furthest i've been able to play any Ratchet game so far. I must say, not a huge fan of the gun gameplay, but I can't help but giggle like a little shit when the disco ball is thrown.

I know they can't really be compared- due to the obvious length issues and the limited weapon upgrades in Q4B, but i thought the gameplay elements of Q4B were superior to ToD.

I'd be interested in a new PSN game day 1, but would probably put off the purchase of a retail release until I could get it at Target for 15 bucks.

I want to like Ratchet and Clank, but just can't. Thought I was missing out from last-gen (habit I wanted to break ever since I got active on these kind of forums with all the praise these games I "overlooked" received).

Tried the demo for RaC:ToD a year ago, didn't do it for me. Got in a gameshare group for RaC:QfB and even though it's longer than others say it is, it's not very Pixar-like as people claim it is (though it looks 3x better when in the caves/fighting pirates); didn't leave me wanting more.

It could still be DL in the US since they tend to release disc versions of games oversees that they don't here (Siren anyone?)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Who stalks Ratchet through the entire game?[/quote]

I get the impression that Smiggity is talking about Talwyn following you in a few sections from Quest For Booty. (Either that or he really would like to play as a glorified backpack)

Ratchet and Clank is not a game built for Co-Op and I'd prefer that they kept it that way.

I have nothing against Co-Op in games, in fact, I love it. Local co-op is the greatest gaming experience one can get in many cases. But you shouldn't force it on a game that isn't built for it.

More on the subject of the game in general. I am really looking forward to this, I love the Ratchet and Clank series. However, I don't know how keen I am on it becoming an episodic series. I feel that will take away from the adventure of the game. As well as the gameplay element of obtaining new gadgets later on in the game that allow you to further explore previous areas.

My hope is that, if they do choose to be an episodic series, the game plays off of your saves in the previous episodes, such as being able to take your weapons and gadgets from one episode into the next, and then taking the new gadgets and stuff you get from the next episodes back into the previous ones, so it plays just like a true Ratchet game while actually being multiple games.

The episodic format just doesn't fit Ratchet and clank in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would probably work well to do something like Gears of War II's Horde mode, where you'd fight against waves of enemies with friends but add in elements of R2's co-op with experience, upgrades, and all that.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/03/26/introducing-ratchet-clank-future-a-crack-in-time/

Hey everyone,

Greetings from the SCEA Blogger’s Lounge at GDC! Last week, we teased you with our Ratchet & Clank Future Weapons Contest and the new action figures coming from DC Direct. While I’ll talk more about this in a bit, we are very happy at Insomniac to finally announce the name of our next game.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time will conclude the story arc that started in Tools of Destruction and continued in Quest for Booty. There will be plenty to talk about over the next few months as we work towards our fall release, and we can’t wait to share more. But for those of you wanting a first look, tune into Gametrailers TV this week on Spike TV (check your local listings for time) for the world premiere of the teaser trailer.

For those of you who have been e-mailing us with questions about the Weapons Contest and asking when and where you can submit, you’ll be happy to know that submissions are open as of tomorrow! I’m also excited to announce the Grand Prize winner will have their weapon included in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, will be given a life-size replica of the weapon, and will win a trip to San Diego Comic-Con to meet with the dev team and reveal the winning weapon to the public there!

As inspiration for you guys, tune in tomorrow for a little video roundtable talking about some of our favorite weapons stories and experiences over the years of working on Ratchet & Clank weapons.

That’s all for now, make sure you tune into GTTV to check out the teaser trailer!
So a new teaser trailer will be out on Friday, a roundtable video on the blog about making the previous games, and unveiling of the official title.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...-crack-in-time/comment-page-1/#comment-194894

The final nail in Joystiq's coffin for today.[/QUOTE]You beat me to it. I was about to post that. ;)

Speaking of Joystiq, one reason I know not to trust them these days is because for the Atelier Rorona news, first they said Koei's RPG, then said Nippon Ichi Software RPG, yet never mentioned Gust anywhere, when Gust actually makes the game (NIS America published in NA while Koei published in Europe). That and this remind me I should never take their news seriously (they just guess).

bread's done
Back