Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition (360/PS3) $125 w/Free Ship at Buy.com

Looks like supply has caught up with demand. Now the inevitable plunge in price. This actually may be the best price we see on this stick without coupon or other offers.

Buy one jughead you won't be dissappointed in this stick!

I am grabbnig a 360 TE FS, I wanted a PS3 one but I guess it doesn't work with the PS2 BC. I am hoping this stick is all its cracked up to be and not another eventually nonworking madcatz product.
Thanks for the heads up as always Cheapy

hmm... I didn't know the 360 TE wasn't PS2 BC. I'm glad I have a HRAP3 for PS3. Now... I wonder if my custom stick works with PS2 games?

It's $120 with ECA. I wouldn't have ordered it straight from capcom a few weeks ago had I known amazon and other places would be getting it back in stock.

[quote name='apocrypha']I am grabbnig a 360 TE FS, I wanted a PS3 one but I guess it doesn't work with the PS2 BC. I am hoping this stick is all its cracked up to be and not another eventually nonworking madcatz product.
Thanks for the heads up as always Cheapy[/QUOTE]
This stick is all kinds of awesome. I have one for my 360 and have had no problems whatsoever. You can thank MarkMan for making this thing for MadCatz, and slightly turning their company image around. MadCatz'll need more than this, but its a good start.

[quote name='apocrypha']I am grabbnig a 360 TE FS, I wanted a PS3 one but I guess it doesn't work with the PS2 BC. I am hoping this stick is all its cracked up to be and not another eventually nonworking madcatz product.

Dang, it doesn't work with PS2/1 games? That was the main reason I was interested in it (for now), my PS1 games.

I've heard both versions work with the PC though which is cool, but...I still don't know which version to get, and am ticked they couldn't have one that works for all three platforms instead of just 2 out of 3.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, it doesn't work with PS2/1 games? That was the main reason I was interested in it (for now), my PS1 games.

I've heard both versions work with the PC though which is cool, but...I still don't know which version to get, and am ticked they couldn't have one that works for all three platforms instead of just 2 out of 3.[/QUOTE]

I second that frustration. I really wanted the BlazBlue PS3 version but had committed to making my 360 the fighting game system simply because of achievements.

If I had to do it over again I'd probably go PS3 because of the Blu Ray extras and also because I keep hearing the PS3 fighting community is bigger and will outlast the 360 one.

i believe the ps3 stick work with ps1/2 games as long as you play them on the ps3. but the stick itself cannot be used on a ps1/2.

i have the 360 one. seeing this i guess i shouldve waited, i barely used mine and got it on release day. it is a great stick although i prefer american style stick over japanese. the 360 stick works great with original xbox games as well as PC.

That one person was saying it doesn't work with PS2 backwards compatibility though :whistle2:/

Are American sticks the...I don't know how you say it, like the tapered versus "ball" sticks? I like the tapered ones more, I guess.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That one person was saying it doesn't work with PS2 backwards compatibility though :whistle2:/

Are American sticks the...I don't know how you say it, like the tapered versus "ball" sticks? I like the tapered ones more, I guess.[/QUOTE]

well you can always swap out the stick. I thought the TE sticks were a bit more modular in design and friendlier towards customizers.

I really want a second stick. I wonder if they will go even lower, or if they are actually somewhat limited. I don't expect any fighting game to have the stick impact that SFIV did, so maybe these will start showing up for $99 in a few months.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, it doesn't work with PS2/1 games? That was the main reason I was interested in it (for now), my PS1 games.

I've heard both versions work with the PC though which is cool, but...I still don't know which version to get, and am ticked they couldn't have one that works for all three platforms instead of just 2 out of 3.[/QUOTE]

i was able to use te stick on ps1/2 games on my ps3, you can too but for ps2 games, only if your ps3 runs ps2 game. where did you get the info that you can't? i will proceed to verifying te stick compatibility with ps1/2 games later today.
madcatz te stick is nonworking for street fighter alpha anthology for ps2 when i tried it on my ps3. it doesnt accept it and said that no dualshock 2 is connected. i just test the te stick with a random ps1 game and and it works.
but if you want a stick that works for ps2 games, hori fightstick is the way to go. I just tested that hori fightstick on my ps3.

Last edited by a moderator:
the hori fighting stick 3 isn't a bad stick for the price, but if you want a solidly performing stick that is BC with PS2 I'd suggest you go with a RAP1/2 and a PS2-PS3 converter. If the parts don't really matter to you, I would even go with an old school namco arcade stick. There's a reason why it was the best joystick before arcade parts were introduced into the home market.

Thankfully with the release of the newer sticks, the value of ithas decreased. It used to go for about $70-80 used.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ARCADE-STICK-NAMCO-Playstation-2-SONY-NEUF_W0QQitemZ320399715076QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFR_SK_Jeuxvideo_Games_VideoGames?hash=item4a994fab04&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1215|293%3A1|294%3A50

I had just bought a TE stick this morning from amazon because I recieved my 50% coupon last night. After seeing this I immediately canceled my order. If my math is correct, amazon matching this price would make the stick free with 50%, ECA, and Part of my trade in. What do you all think the chances are that they will actually match it though? the 50% coupon lasts till august 31st, but the ECA codes stop working 7/31. I really dont want to risk not getting the $15 off from ECA because I waited.

[quote name='locampo']I had just bought a TE stick this morning from amazon because I recieved my 50% coupon last night. After seeing this I immediately canceled my order. If my math is correct, amazon matching this price would make the stick free with 50%, ECA, and Part of my trade in. What do you all think the chances are that they will actually match it though? the 50% coupon lasts till august 31st, but the ECA codes stop working 7/31. I really dont want to risk not getting the $15 off from ECA because I waited.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting to do the same, but are the ECA codes really expiring 7/31?

Yeah I was a click away from paying 119.99 after ECA from buy then saw that 7-9 days shipping. Hope amazon price matches soon so that I can use my amazon prime.

[quote name='wEEman33']So what's this 50% off Amazon coupon and how can I get one?[/QUOTE]

Easy...

1. Ask Doc Brown if you can borrow his DeLorean.
2. Drive 88 MPH.
3. Go back in time a couple weeks ago.
4. Trade in $50 or more in video games in Amazon's trade-in store.
5. Receive 50% off coupon.

[quote name='locampo']I had just bought a TE stick this morning from amazon because I recieved my 50% coupon last night. After seeing this I immediately canceled my order. If my math is correct, amazon matching this price would make the stick free with 50%, ECA, and Part of my trade in. What do you all think the chances are that they will actually match it though? the 50% coupon lasts till august 31st, but the ECA codes stop working 7/31. I really dont want to risk not getting the $15 off from ECA because I waited.[/QUOTE]
I thought the current batch of ECA codes expired on 9/30?

[quote name='BingoBrown']Easy...

2. Drive 88 MPH.
5. Receive 50% off coupon.[/QUOTE]

lmao

Price doesn't make a difference since Buy.com has a DC in TN. It'll be at least $135 and change

I'll wait til Amazon matches this...then I'll bite for the XBox 360.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Easy...

2. Drive 88 MPH.
5. Receive 50% off coupon.[/QUOTE]

Win.

[quote name='Traitorious']I thought the current batch of ECA codes expired on 9/30?[/QUOTE]

You are correct. My bad! last time I checked ECA I thought it said 7/31. :error:

[quote name='Wolfpup']That one person was saying it doesn't work with PS2 backwards compatibility though :whistle2:/

Are American sticks the...I don't know how you say it, like the tapered versus "ball" sticks? I like the tapered ones more, I guess.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='youruglyclone']well you can always swap out the stick. I thought the TE sticks were a bit more modular in design and friendlier towards customizers.[/QUOTE]

American sticks are the ones where the joystick is shaped like a baseball bat versus japanese ones that are shaped like a lollipop. japanese sticks also 'click' whenever you hit it into any direction (as if its hitting a switch underneath) whereas the american sticks are silent. i hate the jap sticks but alas, there are no alternatives to an arcade quality stick right now (save for making one myself)

you CANNOT put an american style stick into ANY japanese joystick enclosure because the connectors are different as well as the physical dimensions of the case (the american sticks are a lot deeper internally).

american sticks are HAPP, japanese are Sanwa or Semitsu. this madcatz stick is a Sanwa, considered the best, and is identical to the parts you will find (and can repair/swap/replace with) in [most] japanese arcades.

Uggghhhhh. How low will it go? I've been tempted by this so many times and now it's cheaper than ever. Once again I'm torn between which platform to buy it for though. The only fighting game I have right now is Soul Calibur 4 for the PS3, so I'm kind of leaning towards the PS3.

Consider this....

- Which platform are all your friends playing Fighting Games on?
- Only the 360 version gives you the option of adding an MC Cthulu board (go to 'tech talk' in shoryuken.com forums to learn more). This will allow you to play on PS3, PS2, Gamecube, etc.
- The stick will probably last you 10+ years...so don't stress too much about price but do make sure you get the right one. I have old sticks that are over 15yrs old that i can still use today.

[quote name='morphineseason']Uggghhhhh. How low will it go? I've been tempted by this so many times and now it's cheaper than ever. Once again I'm torn between which platform to buy it for though. The only fighting game I have right now is Soul Calibur 4 for the PS3, so I'm kind of leaning towards the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I was faced with the same decision and I'm unfortunately regretting going with the PS3 version. If you plan on modding it, I would suggest the Xbox 360 TE and modding it for PS3 using the MC Cthulhu. Then you'll have the option for pretty much any system other than 360 (which you'd already have the PCB for) and DC I believe.

Finding an available MC Cthulhu may be a little difficult though, since most places seem to be on a pre-order only status.

[quote name='helmet']I was faced with the same decision and I'm unfortunately regretting going with the PS3 version. If you plan on modding it, I would suggest the Xbox 360 TE and modding it for PS3 using the MC Cthulhu. Then you'll have the option for pretty much any system other than 360 (which you'd already have the PCB for) and DC I believe.

Finding an available MC Cthulhu may be a little difficult though, since most places seem to be on a pre-order only status.[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, I've never owned a fightstick in my life. Is it hard to install one of these MC Cthulhus or is there much risk of breaking the stick itself? And where is a popular site to buy the MC Cthulhu board?

[quote name='morphineseason']Truth be told, I've never owned a fightstick in my life. Is it hard to install one of these MC Cthulhus or is there much risk of breaking the stick itself? And where is a popular site to buy the MC Cthulhu board?[/QUOTE]

I personally don't know how difficult it is to install. There are models that are preassembled and have screw-down terminals instead of needing to solder, but they are more expensive. You also have to make some modifications to the case, so that would require a little dremel work. There is a great tutorial on SRK for the SE stick that better explains the process. :D

As for getting the board itself, Modchipman.com is generally pretty reliable with shorter shipping and handling times than most sites. Here is some more information and pricing. This particular set comes with an IMP board, which makes it possible to switch between consoles without having a toggle.

On the other hand, if you don't mind waiting for 3-4 weeks and putting a little more effort into the project you can try Lizardlick.com. You can get an unassembled PC/PS3 ONLY Cthulhu here for around $20 + shipping.

So, on second thought, can anyone recommend a nice beginner fight stick that's quite a bit cheaper, but would still hold up to some abuse and feel fairly comfortable?

edit: Thanks for the info Helmet. Not sure if I want to get into that level of fight sticks yet. Kind of just looking for something a little more "casual" if it can even be classified as that.

[quote name='morphineseason']So, on second thought, can anyone recommend a nice beginner fight stick that's quite a bit cheaper, but would still hold up to some abuse and feel fairly comfortable?

edit: Thanks for the info Helmet. Not sure if I want to get into that level of fight sticks yet. Kind of just looking for something a little more "casual" if it can even be classified as that.[/QUOTE]

The Standard Edition is decent now, if you can find it at a good price. I struggled with the square gate on the stick for a while, it definitely takes some time to get used to.

However, at this price.. If you plan on modding the SE in anyway at all, replacing the buttons or joystick, you'd really be better off just getting the TE. Even at its original price, you'd still be better off.

bread's done
Back