Photo
- - - - -

Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition (360/PS3) $125 w/Free Ship at Buy.com

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Price doesn't make a difference since Buy.com has a DC in TN. It'll be at least $135 and change

I'll wait til Amazon matches this...then I'll bite for the XBox 360.

Easy...

1. Ask Doc Brown if you can borrow his DeLorean.
2. Drive 88 MPH.
3. Go back in time a couple weeks ago.
4. Trade in $50 or more in video games in Amazon's trade-in store.
5. Receive 50% off coupon.

Win.

431417_10150545115617030_1389355330_n.jp

#32 blackwaltz34

blackwaltz34

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:57 PM

must.....resist.....ARGH!

#33 locampo

locampo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

I thought the current batch of ECA codes expired on 9/30?

You are correct. My bad! last time I checked ECA I thought it said 7/31. :error:
Posted Image

#34 postulio

postulio

member since 2004

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

That one person was saying it doesn't work with PS2 backwards compatibility though :-/

Are American sticks the...I don't know how you say it, like the tapered versus "ball" sticks? I like the tapered ones more, I guess.

well you can always swap out the stick. I thought the TE sticks were a bit more modular in design and friendlier towards customizers.

American sticks are the ones where the joystick is shaped like a baseball bat versus japanese ones that are shaped like a lollipop. japanese sticks also 'click' whenever you hit it into any direction (as if its hitting a switch underneath) whereas the american sticks are silent. i hate the jap sticks but alas, there are no alternatives to an arcade quality stick right now (save for making one myself)

you CANNOT put an american style stick into ANY japanese joystick enclosure because the connectors are different as well as the physical dimensions of the case (the american sticks are a lot deeper internally).

american sticks are HAPP, japanese are Sanwa or Semitsu. this madcatz stick is a Sanwa, considered the best, and is identical to the parts you will find (and can repair/swap/replace with) in [most] japanese arcades.

#35 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

if you guys want amazon to match it, then email them so they know.

#36 morphineseason

morphineseason

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

Uggghhhhh. How low will it go? I've been tempted by this so many times and now it's cheaper than ever. Once again I'm torn between which platform to buy it for though. The only fighting game I have right now is Soul Calibur 4 for the PS3, so I'm kind of leaning towards the PS3.

#37 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

Consider this....

- Which platform are all your friends playing Fighting Games on?
- Only the 360 version gives you the option of adding an MC Cthulu board (go to 'tech talk' in shoryuken.com forums to learn more). This will allow you to play on PS3, PS2, Gamecube, etc.
- The stick will probably last you 10+ years...so don't stress too much about price but do make sure you get the right one. I have old sticks that are over 15yrs old that i can still use today.

#38 RoundeRx54

RoundeRx54

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

Wow 15 years. You love it long time.

#39 helmet

helmet

beep boop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

Uggghhhhh. How low will it go? I've been tempted by this so many times and now it's cheaper than ever. Once again I'm torn between which platform to buy it for though. The only fighting game I have right now is Soul Calibur 4 for the PS3, so I'm kind of leaning towards the PS3.

I was faced with the same decision and I'm unfortunately regretting going with the PS3 version. If you plan on modding it, I would suggest the Xbox 360 TE and modding it for PS3 using the MC Cthulhu. Then you'll have the option for pretty much any system other than 360 (which you'd already have the PCB for) and DC I believe.

Finding an available MC Cthulhu may be a little difficult though, since most places seem to be on a pre-order only status.

#40 morphineseason

morphineseason

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

I was faced with the same decision and I'm unfortunately regretting going with the PS3 version. If you plan on modding it, I would suggest the Xbox 360 TE and modding it for PS3 using the MC Cthulhu. Then you'll have the option for pretty much any system other than 360 (which you'd already have the PCB for) and DC I believe.

Finding an available MC Cthulhu may be a little difficult though, since most places seem to be on a pre-order only status.

Truth be told, I've never owned a fightstick in my life. Is it hard to install one of these MC Cthulhus or is there much risk of breaking the stick itself? And where is a popular site to buy the MC Cthulhu board?

#41 SimaYi

SimaYi

Ready 4 BlackFriday!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:38 PM

Wonder if it will get even lower than this, not that I have the money to buy one now anyway.

#42 ggamdori

ggamdori

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

Dang, I am not even a huge fighting game fan. Just hearing about you guys drooling makes me want to buy this.

But I have so many un-used sticks :(
http://www.ggamdori....06/DSC_0015.JPG

#43 helmet

helmet

beep boop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

Truth be told, I've never owned a fightstick in my life. Is it hard to install one of these MC Cthulhus or is there much risk of breaking the stick itself? And where is a popular site to buy the MC Cthulhu board?

I personally don't know how difficult it is to install. There are models that are preassembled and have screw-down terminals instead of needing to solder, but they are more expensive. You also have to make some modifications to the case, so that would require a little dremel work. There is a great tutorial on SRK for the SE stick that better explains the process. :D

As for getting the board itself, Modchipman.com is generally pretty reliable with shorter shipping and handling times than most sites. Here is some more information and pricing. This particular set comes with an IMP board, which makes it possible to switch between consoles without having a toggle.

On the other hand, if you don't mind waiting for 3-4 weeks and putting a little more effort into the project you can try Lizardlick.com. You can get an unassembled PC/PS3 ONLY Cthulhu here for around $20 + shipping.

#44 morphineseason

morphineseason

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:48 AM

So, on second thought, can anyone recommend a nice beginner fight stick that's quite a bit cheaper, but would still hold up to some abuse and feel fairly comfortable?

edit: Thanks for the info Helmet. Not sure if I want to get into that level of fight sticks yet. Kind of just looking for something a little more "casual" if it can even be classified as that.

#45 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:03 AM

In for one, great price for any sanwa stick.

#46 helmet

helmet

beep boop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:05 AM

So, on second thought, can anyone recommend a nice beginner fight stick that's quite a bit cheaper, but would still hold up to some abuse and feel fairly comfortable?

edit: Thanks for the info Helmet. Not sure if I want to get into that level of fight sticks yet. Kind of just looking for something a little more "casual" if it can even be classified as that.

The Standard Edition is decent now, if you can find it at a good price. I struggled with the square gate on the stick for a while, it definitely takes some time to get used to.

However, at this price.. If you plan on modding the SE in anyway at all, replacing the buttons or joystick, you'd really be better off just getting the TE. Even at its original price, you'd still be better off.

#47 thadwhit

thadwhit

Cheap Shit Master

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:25 AM

Well, I ordered mine. And I'm PS3 all the way at this point baby.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 adamantypants

adamantypants

Comrade Sack

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:04 AM

At this price point it's cheaper than my modded PS3 SE stick. I put in all Sanwa parts and painted/art modded it.

#49 mhnajjar

mhnajjar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

I just got one yesterday from them for $130, would they refund me the $5 difference?

#50 heavy liquid

heavy liquid

tastes like burning

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

Still in stock, but I can't bring myself to order it. That's a lot of cashola for something I probably wouldn't use much. If it dips below $100 I might bite.

#51 postulio

postulio

member since 2004

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

get the TE. for 125 its really the best you can get. any "begginer" ones will run you about half that, but will not be as fun to use, wont feel as genuine and will need modding to make them compete. doing any modding to any lower stick really destroys the purpose of owning it. get the TE for the 360. its compatible with all the great xbox1 fighting games too. plus you can use it for your pc (without any modding) so theres that whole world of arcade emulation that gets opened up to you.

#52 BigFishCarl

BigFishCarl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

I just decided to buy it. *sigh* Now only 7-9 business days till I get it.

#53 Maikeroppi

Maikeroppi

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:59 PM

You could try getting a Street Fighter IV SE; it starts at $80, but you can get open box ones on Amazon for $60. Fair warning; this stick is of much, much lower quality than the TE. The bright side, though, is the SE stick uses quick disconnects internally, just like the TE. This means you can get Japanese arcade parts from LizardLick for $50 shipped, and replace all the buttons and stick using only a screwdriver.

This is what I keep hoping to do, although I want to find an SE a little cheaper since I'm going to rip most of the parts out of it. ^_^

#54 BingoBrown

BingoBrown

Master Assassin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Well, so far Amazon isn't budging on their price to try and match Buy.com. I really want to use my 50% off coupon through Amazon, but I know they'll drop the price at some point.

#55 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

You could try getting a Street Fighter IV SE; it starts at $80, but you can get open box ones on Amazon for $60. Fair warning; this stick is of much, much lower quality than the TE. The bright side, though, is the SE stick uses quick disconnects internally, just like the TE. This means you can get Japanese arcade parts from LizardLick for $50 shipped, and replace all the buttons and stick using only a screwdriver.

This is what I keep hoping to do, although I want to find an SE a little cheaper since I'm going to rip most of the parts out of it. ^_^

i really like this solution and did it for a friend (we put a seimitsu stick). Its a portable 100% arcade-parts stick for around 120. Easy mod and feels very solid :)

#56 locampo

locampo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

do they usually price match right away? Its not really a fair example, but didnt blazblue go on sale on buy (or some other non-amazon site), and then only after it went back to regular price amazon, dropped theirs. I could be remembering incorrectly though.
Posted Image

#57 chickenhawk

chickenhawk

Like sand in the scumbag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

Picked one up y'day. Thanks Cheapy!
"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done." - John Ruskin :roll:
Posted Image

#58 BingoBrown

BingoBrown

Master Assassin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Its a portable 100% arcade-parts stick for around 120.

A) The TE isn't "portable"? Do you have to rent a U-Haul to move it?
B) The TE is only $125 right now, even less with bing.com cashback, but without all the extra work.

To each his own, but I'll take a TE over modding a SE if they're the same price.

#59 Maikeroppi

Maikeroppi

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

A) The TE isn't "portable"? Do you have to rent a U-Haul to move it?
B) The TE is only $125 right now, even less with bing.com cashback, but without all the extra work.

To each his own, but I'll take a TE over modding a SE if they're the same price.

I think it's more of a size preference. The SE stick is considerably smaller and lighter, making it easier for lap play than the TE. Also, with modding, you get the choice of colors of stick and buttons, and possibly better buttons than the TE.

Don't get me wrong; the TE is a great stick. Just the SE stick is a decent entry point to try out arcade controls, and it has an easy upgrade path if you get more serious in the future. I think it's a much better option than a Hori EX2.

#60 Link127

Link127

I did it!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

Well, so far Amazon isn't budging on their price to try and match Buy.com. I really want to use my 50% off coupon through Amazon, but I know they'll drop the price at some point.

this.

i really want to buy it as i just got my coupon too

Link127.png