Official (2014-2015) College Football Thread Florida State#1

• Please log in to reply
2997 replies to this topic

#2281 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

If I was a WVU fan, I wouldn't sleep on Oklahoma. Kansas St has shown up this year; in other words, not a bad team. Oklahoma still kept it close enough to win. WVU has given up big yards to some bad teams. Again, I wouldn't write them off.

-------------------------------
FSU silenced the critics last night and gave the world a entertaining game.

#2282 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

...If K-State can pressure Landry Jones they have a chance...

That's exactly what happened. Once Jones was rattled it was all K-State.

...Big 12 title looks to be between KSU, Texas and WVU. WVU plays at Texas in 2 weeks, and gets KSU at home on Oct. 20th.

Assuming WVU beats Baylor to finish September undefeated, the game with Texas could go a long way to deciding the Big 12 race. Great game through the air this week for the Mountaineers but not much happened for them on the ground. If they can establish some kind of ground game it will really help against tougher foes like Texas/K-State.

Oregon crushed Arizona, so much for the "offensive shoot-out" some were expecting. FSU looked scary good against Clemson, especially in that second half. The 'Noles were an absolute monster, just flying all over the place on both sides of the ball. After LSU barely got by Auburn, I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon/FSU/both jumped them in the rankings. Georgia should round out the top five with S.Carolina and West Virginia behind them.

As for the ND at UofM game...I really don't know what to say. The first half could very well have been the worst half of college football I've ever watched on television. ND's defense followed the blueprint created by Alabama to deal with Robinson. They forced him to become a pocket passer which he is obviously incapable of being. Ugly doesn't begin to describe how awful Michigan's turnovers were. :bomb:

The Wolverines literally threw 5 straight interceptions! Robinson threw the ball 4 times in the second quarter, every single one was an interception. By all accounts he's a super nice guy but he/UofM in no way deserved to win that game. It was unfathomable that with 2 minutes to play they still had any chance for the win after a half dozen turnovers. Michigan came up empty from the ND 8 yrd line and 10 yrd line twice!
:fridge:
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2283 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

If I was a WVU fan, I wouldn't sleep on Oklahoma. Kansas St has shown up this year; in other words, not a bad team. Oklahoma still kept it close enough to win. WVU has given up big yards to some bad teams. Again, I wouldn't write them off.

Oh I'm not writing anyone off. I think WVU probably loses at least 2 games as our defense is terrible. OU isn't great and we get them in Morgantown so I've always liked our chances at that one.

At Texas was always the biggest worry for me, along with some other road games like Oklahoma State etc. Long way to travel, bigger stadiums and crowds than what the team was used to for road games in the Big East (though they did play at LSU and Auburn over the past few years) etc.

But we have a tendency to have a head scratching loss or two each year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us get upset at Texas Tech or Iowa State or something.

#2284 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

So, Louisville should easily be able to run the table with their schedule (maybe not Rutgers), but through four games I am not confident about any of the remaining games...
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2285 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Stanford got upset by Washington last night.

Another semi-lackluster week of games this Saturday though.

Notable games (first two are only matchups of AP top 25 teams):

Baylor @ WVU
Ohio St @ Mich St
FSU @ USF (should be a blow out, but USF tends to play great one big game a year)
Tenn. @ UGA

Edited by dmaul1114, 28 September 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#2286 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, not much going on this weekend. A few weeks back I would have thought that the Wisconsin at Nebraska matchup would have also been at an AP top 25 game but that is no longer the case. Texas at Ok. St. could have fallen into that camp as well.

#2287 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Tons of defense in the Baylor/WVU game. 35-35 at halftime. :-|

#2288 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

35-35 at the half.

Game is going to give me an ulcer, but damn fun to watch.

Geno Smith's first half stats are ridiculous. 26/28 for 288 and 4 TDs.

#2289 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

^Geno Smith is on fire! :shock: This W.V. air attack is just CRAZY!

If the Longhorns take care of business today, next week's matchup could be something to keep an eye on.

#2290 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

I didn't realize that the Phoenix Suns played football

#2291 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

What a fucking insane game. 70-63 final. 1,507 yards of total offense.

Heisman is Geno Smith's to lose at this point, already 1st in the polls before today's amazing performance.

Today's stats 45/51, 656 yds, 8 tds, 0 ints.

On the year: 141/168, 1,728 yds, 20 tds, 0 ints.

Can't wait for the Texas game next week. Toughest on the schedule (though plenty other hard ones remaining). Will be interesting to see how their D and ball control running offense fair in slowing WVU down.

WVU's defense is awful, but Baylor is best offense on the schedule (maybe Ok State if they improve), so rest of the way is matter of whether opponents can slow us down enough to win.

Edited by dmaul1114, 29 September 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#2292 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Cincy knocked off VT 27-24.

Big East not looking as awful as expected with Louisville and Cincy both looking solid. Shame the leaders didn't have the power to just boot the basketball only schools and add the new members they got to what they already had before last years raids. Would have been a solid league if they could have kept WVU, TCU, Cincy and Cuse and brought in teams like Boise, Houston, SMU etc. for an East/West conference.

#2293 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

The D players and coaches for WVU and Baylor should be ashamed of their selves. The O players and coaches on the other hand executed brilliantly!

Congrats to the Buckeyes for pulling out a hard fought win against Sparty! Defense really showed up today.

Le'Veon Bell was hit within two yards of the line of scrimmage on 15 of his 17 rushes against Ohio State. Entering Saturday, Bell made it more than two yards past the line before being hit on 48 of his 117 rushes (41 percent).

Le'Veon Bell failed to rush for a first down for the first time since his freshman season. The longest run that Bell could muster against Ohio State's defense was an eight yard rush in the second quarter as Ohio State held Bell to three rushes that gained five or more yards.

Edited by evildeadjedi, 30 September 2012 - 12:30 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2294 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

I hate montee ball. Seriously hate him. I wish he would have went pro so wisconsins only option wasn't "hand the ball to montee, get two yards". I hope Nebraska ends up beating them today so I can rant more to my coworkers monday.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#2295 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

At this point, I'd gladly suffer through a sub .500 season if it meant Beamer would shake up his coaching staff. The addition of his son was good because he's a strong recruiter (showed that at S. Carolina under Spurrier) and it seems like he could help break his father's approach of going after lesser talent and then developing them when there's no reason why they can't draw in some better classes. However, I don't think that's enough.

With the exception of Shane (who is also the running backs coach), Beamer needs to just fire the entire offensive coaching staff. We have an offensive coordinator who sucks so bad, Beamer had to let the quarterbacks coach take over calling the plays last year. That should say it all right there.

The two of them are making watching the games this year painful. It's obvious that they're trying to catch up with the times by throwing in spread, pistol, and read option with their more traditional stuff, but they just end up being all over the damn place and never allowing the offense to develop an identity. The most frustrating part is that every time they seem to get something working, they move completely away from it to try something different. Logan Thomas has took a step back this year, but I have to wonder if it's from the coaches trying to make him run 3 or 4 different offenses with so much youth around him on the offensive side of the ball.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#2296 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

I think it's time to put Beamer out to pasture.

#2297 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

Texas managed to pull it out after all setting up a big matchup with WV next week.
Georgia visiting S. Carolina next weekend will also be a big one.

#2298 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Shame the 4 team playoff doesn't start this year. Looks to be a year where we could end up with multiple unbeatens as the top 25 seems pretty top heavy this year with a pretty big drop off after the top 10 or 12 teams.

Hard to seen the SEC champ not being unbeaten (Alabama, LSU, UGA, USC). FSU has a great chance to run the table since the ACC sucks ass, Florida will be their toughest game. Oregon has a great chance to win out in the Pac 10. The Big 12 champ could be unbeaten (Texas, WVU, K-State). Hell, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Big East camp end up unbeaten (Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers) though with the weak schedules they wouldn't be a factor even with a playoff.

#2299 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Finally some big games tomorrow.

Ranked matchups:

#5 UGA @ #6 South Carolina
#4 LSU @ #10 Florida
#8 WVU @ # 11 Texas
#12 OSU @ #21 Nebraska
#2 Oregon @ #23 Washington

Oklahoma @ Texas Tech could be good as well, TT still unbeaten and has a strong defense.

#2300 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

^I agree, tomorrow's games are the first full slate of the season. Looking forward to it!

#2301 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Looking forward to the WV - Texas game to see what Geno Smith does against an actual defense. I know he put up Playstation numbers last week and everyone has pretty much awarded him the Heisman but let's see what he does against a legit Big 12 defense. People seem to forget they barely beat Maryland.

Man our(Notre Dame's) win against Michigan State is not looking so great now.
[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#2302 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

Some good games today, with also some upsets.

-#24 Northwestern loses to Penn State after finally being ranked for the first time in four years
-#11 Florida beats LSU
-#15 TCU loses to Iowa St. after Casey Pachall misses the game due to a suspension for a DUI
-#18 Stanford pulls a win out of their asses in OT after being down 14 in the 4th

#2303 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

South Carolina leads Georgia 21-0 with over 5 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

#2304 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

WVU takes care of Texas 48-45. Our defense is awful, but I'm not sure there's anyone who can outscore us as long as our key talent stays healthy.

Smith only goes for 268 yards n 25/35 passing. But 4 TDs and no Ints. 24 TDs and no Ints on the Season. And as a plus Buie (our 2nd string RB) got 207 yards rushing. If we can have a running game to supplement our passing game, will be tough to stop us going forward.

Tough schedule for WVU remaining for sure. But K State and Oklahoma are at home.

#2305 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

WVU takes care of Texas 48-45. Our defense is awful, but I'm not sure there's anyone who can outscore us as long as our key talent stays healthy.

Smith only goes for 268 yards n 25/35 passing. But 4 TDs and no Ints. 24 TDs and no Ints on the Season. And as a plus Buie (our 2nd string RB) got 207 yards rushing. If we can have a running game to supplement our passing game, will be tough to stop us going forward.

Tough schedule for WVU remaining for sure. But K State and Oklahoma are at home.

It will be interesting to see what K-State does against WVU. Bill Snyder always seems to come up with a gameplan. My fear is that KSU doesn't have a prolific offense. If WVU is able to hang a quick 14 pts I don't think the wildcats will recover.

#2306 Chitown021

Chitown021

CAG, I'm back babeeeeee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

Notre Dame took care of business tonight against "The U" although that would have been a much different game had Miami not had a bad case of the drops.

Now we enter another tough stretch. Stanford, BYU, Oklahoma. It will be interesting to see if we can keep this going. Who would've thought Notre Dame would go three entire games without giving up a TD? And it's not like they did it against powerpuffs that teams like Florida State scheduled to start the season. These were REAL opponents!

#2307 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

Fuck yeah, NC State takes down FSU. Was worried about them fucking up title shots since ACC sucks. Title game currently is really between Alabama/USC out of SEC, Oregon and WVU/K State out of Big 12.

UGA and LSU also going down means WVU moves up 4 spots. Should be #5 in the polls. Have to go to Texas Tech next week, then showdown with K-State in Morgantown.

#2308 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

State needed this after the debacle at the U.

#2309 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

It will be interesting to see what K-State does against WVU. Bill Snyder always seems to come up with a gameplan. My fear is that KSU doesn't have a prolific offense. If WVU is able to hang a quick 14 pts I don't think the wildcats will recover.

I'd agree with that. WVU only loses to someone who can outscore us, or a dominant defensive team like Alabama who can shut us down.

#2310 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

Looking forward to that KSU at WVU matchup, could be the highest point totals ever! Good win for the Mountaineers tonight, with a functioning ground game added the WV offense is flat out ridiculous. Georgia forgot to show up against the Gamecocks, SC beat them from pillar to post. Their matchup with Florida could go a long way in determining the top team in the SEC Eastern half.

Looks like the Big Ten champion will have a minimum of two losses, perhaps more. The Buckeyes seem to have accepted playing conference spoiler with gusto as they continue to beat up on the others. Glad to see my Wolverines take care of Purdue, also glad to see Robinson finally complete a game without throwing an INT. Notre Dame won again, setting up a nice contest with Stanford next week.

Holy Crap! Florida State just lost to NC State after failing to score in the entire second half. The Wolfpack got the go ahead TD with 16 seconds left in the game, what a blow to FSU. Assuming Oregon wins tonight I'd hope the AP poll will look like this:
  • Alabama
  • Oregon
  • S.Carolina
  • W.Virgina
  • K.State
  • N.Dame
  • Florida
  • Ohio St.
  • USC
  • Oregon St.