Photo
- - - - -

New or Old PS3 box art logo?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: New or Old box art logo

New or Old box art logo

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Rai Rai

Rai Rai

Titanfall DLC #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:59 AM

Old, despite the fact it uses the spiderman font. Old design for GH boxes too.

#32 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

This with a caveat.

The Sega Genesis switch to the red borders was awesome. It really made the whole Sega section in stores stand out in the mid 90s with purple borders for Game Gear games, red borders for Genesis games, yellow borders for 32x games, and blue borders for Sega CD games.

:( <----- Still sad about Sega dying out. No company that made Crazy Taxi should ever be reduced to Sonic Unleashed.

They did white boarders for Saturn games.;) I remember seeing all those games on the shelves at once back in the day. I totally forgot about the mid-generation boxart change. Actually, happened three times with Genesis (it was just black below the boxart, then around it, then red on the side with a rating system.
Posted Image

#33 Deefuzz

Deefuzz

Comfortably Numb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

I kind of like the new logo and design better.

#34 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

The old, just becuase I seriously fucking hate that new PS3 slim bubble font. I really, REALLY hate that font. My gut actually twisted when I upgraded my firmfare and realized I'd have to look at that during startup now, then though it's only for a few seconds. Never minded the spidey font.

(And yes, I realize it's a stupid thing to get worked up over... but for some reason,as far as systems go, the little details set me off more than anything that really matters.)

You mean when I update I'm going to have to look at that STUPID fucking logo every time?! Why not just give people a choice between the two?! X-(
At least Sony can't run in and Fuck around with my console at home and force that UGLY matte finish as well as the logo.
I wouldn't mind the new box art if they had it resemble the PSP's instead, those sharp angular lines. The bubbled up one just looks terrible.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#35 mis0

mis0

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

Got my first set of "new" boxes.

Looks pretty shitty on Uncharted 2, but I have to say, my GH copy of Midnight Club looks mighty fine.

Thus, Old > New. New GH > Old GH.

[mis0's tradelist]

#36 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

I just don't get how anyone could like the Spiderman font with Photoshop spotlight filters along the side.

PaulManda.png

#37 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

I just don't get how anyone could like the Spiderman font with Photoshop spotlight filters along the side.

Because it's not as tacky? It also doesn't remind someone of a console redo that looks like shit. Seriously the matte finish just helps add to the image that the PS3 Slim looks cheap. The disc slot is terrible looking. They could've at least found some way to keep the cool chrome thing. They also could keep the black finish there too instead of that white which just looks off.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#38 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:29 AM

While I can't argue for the hardware, the game cases are a huge improvement.

PaulManda.png

#39 asaraa

asaraa

Shepard-Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:45 AM

New. And I wish all the cases were always red, not just Greatest Hits.

#40 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

I don't care either way.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#41 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:22 PM

New. And I wish all the cases were always red, not just Greatest Hits.

When they print art on the back side of the cover I appreciate a clear case (for example Uncharted or Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction).

PaulManda.png

#42 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

New logo sucks. Also pissed they took the disc bootup logo out of games; that's been a Sony trademark since the PS1 days.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#43 LordKefka06

LordKefka06

Follow The Reaper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, I miss the disc bootup logo alot.

#44 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

Old by far. The red on the spine was a great touch IMO, but they went and fucked that up. My poor Uncharted 2...

#45 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

I like the new one... the old Spider Man text looked dumb. I wish they kept the red box though.

Currently playing:

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#46 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:14 PM

New logo sucks. Also pissed they took the disc bootup logo out of games; that's been a Sony trademark since the PS1 days.

You mean the the one that pops up on PS2 games? PS1 just has the SCEA white screen that turned into a multicolor PS1 screen.

PaulManda.png

#47 Frank Deluded

Frank Deluded

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

I always associated the old logo with the Spiderman text from the movies, so I prefer the new one.

#48 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

You mean the the one that pops up on PS2 games? PS1 just has the SCEA white screen that turned into a multicolor PS1 screen.

I believe they mean the PS3 logo screen that was coming up prior to the 3.0 FW update that added the sparkly bullshit to the background. The one that came up when you loaded a disc up on the PS3.

Posted Image

#49 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

Sony is trying to get rid of the Spiderman font forever, since they feel it was cursed. Since other platforms don't have any disc bootup and sold much better, that's partially why Sony felt the need to just remove it.

The main reason for the new logo was because Kaz noticed during multi-platform commercials, the PlayStation 3 logo was tough to read while the 360 logo jumped right out. It was because the long PlayStation 3 font would shrink a bit too much. By Sony going to fewer letters, it would make the commercial/advertisement more clear to average consumers the game is on PS3. The new PS3 logo kind of catches the eye more than the 360 logo and does seem to be working so far.
Posted Image

#50 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

Sony is trying to get rid of the Spiderman font forever, since they feel it was cursed. Since other platforms don't have any disc bootup and sold much better, that's partially why Sony felt the need to just remove it.

The main reason for the new logo was because Kaz noticed during multi-platform commercials, the PlayStation 3 logo was tough to read while the 360 logo jumped right out. It was because the long PlayStation 3 font would shrink a bit too much. By Sony going to fewer letters, it would make the commercial/advertisement more clear to average consumers the game is on PS3. The new PS3 logo kind of catches the eye more than the 360 logo and does seem to be working so far.

Actually, I believe it was the price drop that caught people's attention much more than some newer logo. Plus, the commercials actually 'pimp out' that fact and don't confuse the ever living shit out of consumers(like the crying doll commercial).

As for the lack of a boot screen, it doesn't matter one bit to me, though the addition of 'sparkles' to the background of the XMB was a laughable addition. How about adding a mini game to go with those sparkles?

As for the "Spiderman" font being cursed, it was Sony's initial high pricepoint that curse them this gen. Luckily, they have taken steps towards fixing that(price drop). Hopefully, it's not too late for them to catch up in sales.

Posted Image

#51 BackInBlack

BackInBlack

Fisher Price DSL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

Everything about the old boxart was terrible. The red was the icing on the cake.

New.
StarCraft 2 - Roses

#52 Invader Bugs

Invader Bugs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

All I can say is I'm glad I got a PS3 last year. That way I still have my console with the superior spidey font, and most of my games have it too. I really wish they didn't change it. While I still love my ps3 far more than any other console I have, I don't really like their new design decisions. I prefer the fat console way more than the slim, and I don't like the new logos and whatnot.

#53 LordKefka06

LordKefka06

Follow The Reaper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

I'm disappointed that MW2 wasn't made with the new kind.

#54 silent h3ro

silent h3ro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

The new horizontal logo is much better use of space combining the PS3 logo and Playstation Network logos into one bar at the top. The old cases look too busy with a horizontal and vertical bar with text filling both of them. The new cases have all that on the top and still leaves space. The spine also looks better now and is much more identifiable. The new look is definitely better.

#55 Layd Dly

Layd Dly

LEGEND..wait for it..DARY

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

I prefer the new a lot more and i also like how they went back to the logos for what the game uses, i.e. number of players, hd space, resolution, dualshock, headset, etc.

But it irritates me that they changed the size of the spine logo so that they really stick out on my shelves. Part of Me hopes that the Cover Project starts converting old covers into new ones to promote my anal-ness.

Battle.net: Vinomen#1986
76561197994706915.pngAddFriend.png
168249.png

#56 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

I don't care for the new cover in digital form, but it looks much better on a physical box. I liked the old style of cover, as it was kind of a return to the PS1-style covers, but they messed that up when they started adding a tab on the top with "Only on PlayStation" and a PlayStation Network logo if it had online.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#57 BigD

BigD

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

I prefer the old logo A TON more...couple of reasons why. I grew very fond of the little red square chilling at the top of the spine of each game. Also, I like how the case actually has Playstation 3 at the top of it...ON the plastic. The newer cases just say BluRay...I hate that. I also just prefer the old logo more. I don't like this new PS3 Slim logo going on, and it's bad enough having to see it each time my PS3 boots up. Blah...long live the older style!
Posted Image

#58 MICHAE2414

MICHAE2414

We'll get there soon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

I don't care for the new cover in digital form, but it looks much better on a physical box. I liked the old style of cover, as it was kind of a return to the PS1-style covers, but they messed that up when they started adding a tab on the top with "Only on PlayStation" and a PlayStation Network logo if it had online.

Agreed. PS1 and PS2 game cases didn't carry such a moniker of "Only on", exclusivity, etc. like the other consoles did, and it was one of those little touches to the presentation of the games that I liked IMO. And now they're on PS3 (and PSP) game cases.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious now...were there any titles released that had the old-style "PLAYSTATION®Network" on the cover, before PLAYSTATION was de-capitalized to PlayStation? SOCOM: Confrontation comes to mind but I'm not sure.

Also, I like how the case actually has Playstation 3 at the top of it...ON the plastic. The newer cases just say BluRay...I hate that.

This.

Question: I assume that the first-run titles with the new box art design/logo were all first-party, i.e. LBP GOTY, Uncharted 2? Thing is, until the slim PS3 and re-branding were revealed, the cover artwork floating around on retailer websites + the PlayStation Blog carried the old style.

Did the first batches of LBP (for example) end up in stores with the old cover style upon release date? If they indeed exist, could they be rare? Hmm.
Posted Image

#59 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:41 AM

The only thing I don't like about the new box art is that grey gradient...it looks so...noobish. Gotta agree with the art on the back of the cover (inside of the game case). It's unfortunate Dragon Age: Origins' is white/blank :(

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#60 smiggity

smiggity

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

Old. Although I am glad they got rid of the Sony thing when starting a game. Goes quicker now