Blockbuster $9.99 games-local only?

maxdusty

CAGiversary!
They're back (at least at my local store, don't know if it's at all locations but they were sent copies from the central office -as opposed to selling off the local surplus rental copies). My local store got three boxes worth of solely 360 games without the original game cases. They weren't put on the shelves as of yet, but they were all labelled and getting ready to do so. Had some cool people that worked there that gave me a look at the games while they were still available. Was able to buy Call of Duty : World at War. They also had Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1, Gears of War 2, Grid, Saints Row 2, 1 copy of Left 4 Dead. Quite a number of other titles that I can't remember offhand as I wasn't interested in them. Just might go back to get a few copies of other games I can use for flipping.

I don't usually like getting games without cases, but this seems like a really good deal. I'll swing by Blockbuster tomorrow and see if anything's going down in the North Bay.

While cases or manuals are not included, I asked if I could get an empty original case (with the manual) from their rental shelf for the game I bought today. They gave it to me free. They did this for me a couple times previously, I guess it depends on who's behind the counter.
Also, another thing with these games if you've bought them before- you'll already be aware of it, the games have all been professionally resurfaced so they're usually in great condition.

Where is the store you're talking about, OP? That might help us determine if it's a one-off thing, regional, or national.

The idea of cheap CoD and L4D is really appealing.

hmm been a long time but I think you just got me popping my head into a local Blockbuster or two

Damn, another great opportunity for flips! O_O CoD: WaW and L4D trade in at $15 at GS, and MW1 trades in for $13.75. Not much of a gap, but if you take advantage of the "Trade 6 get 40/50% more (with Edge) Deal" going on right now, you'll be ROLLING in it. I REALLY hope my BB is doing this- because if they are, I've already got all 6 games I'm going to flip decided. :p

[quote name='safire']belongs in the blockbuster thread. (can be found next to the circuit city and linens 'n things threads)[/QUOTE]

...which hasn't been posted in in three days and doesn't make any mention of this.

[quote name='ackbar7']Pretty sure there is already a thread that covers this topic[/QUOTE]

Got a link? I didn't see anything at first glance, and as stated the general thread didn't make mention of this.

If the deal is good enough, then it warrants its own thread outside of the general one. I'd argue this is one of those times.

If this is a corporate store then x360 prepacks are $6.99 and the part number is 241932 unless they've come up with a new part number. I will be able to check tomorrow. Could be a new part number if they are $9.99 and some newer titles. In the previous prepacks I didn't hear or see any gears 2 or cod world at war. The last set of prepacks were few and far between so it's probably a very ymmv.

I think this should go to the Bbv thread since it's been discussed there every other time.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']...which hasn't been posted in in three days and doesn't make any mention of this.

Got a link? I didn't see anything at first glance, and as stated the general thread didn't make mention of this.

If the deal is good enough, then it warrants its own thread outside of the general one. I'd argue this is one of those times.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with this one. I posted a clear disc deal one time that helped out a TON of people and the Blockbuster Thread police came out in full force.

[quote name='schuerm26']Good luck with this one. I posted a clear disc deal one time that helped out a TON of people and the Blockbuster Thread police came out in full force.[/QUOTE]

I know it's probably a lost cause, but I've become sick of that argument over time, mostly because it's hard to distinguish what "should" be in the thread. My rule of thumb has been the general threads are for ongoing things like clearance and trade-in values, but even then there are exceptions.

If this was in the Blockbuster thread, I'd wager that upwards of 90% of the people who read the forum wouldn't see it, because they don't look at that one thread...because from my experience, Blockbuster usually doesn't run sales like this (and from looking at the Blockbuster thread, it doesn't look like they've done one recently). We don't need threads for every individual deal or sale, but if we're going by the logic that this has to be in the Blockbuster thread just because it's at Blockbuster, then this entire forum should just be a collection of giant threads with one dedicated to every retail store or website.

People are too uptight about where the threads go. Lumping actual deals into general threads just results in decreased visibility, and I'm not sure how that's a good thing.

In reply to some of the posts above, I got Call of Duty World at War for the 360. The label on the box is "X360-Prepack POG w/o Cover Art" SKU is 44-26062-275837-2.
The store I frequent is in Port Huron Michigan. When I was there earlier, there were maybe five copies each of Call of Duty World at War and Modern Warfare 1. I think these will be the first to go, then maybe Gears of War 2.

I might pick up a few more games that are on Gamestop's list which I can use for Trade 2 get a new game for $19.99 as GS doesn't require an original case or manual for the trades.

I believe my local store just got the boxes of games shipped to them yesterday- so I would probably ask your local store if they received a box of used games recently. Being that I live in Port Huron Michigan, which isn't a major city here, I doubt if corporate would send a box of these games solely to this location.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by my local BB in Kenner, LA and they had the same bin of cheap games as always. None of the good ones listed in the OP though :( I stopped in just to see if had Fear 2 for 9.99. I remember seeing Tomb Raider: Anny, older 2k baseball games and Top Spin 3 and stuff like that. Nothing I was after.

[quote name='schuerm26']Good luck with this one. I posted a clear disc deal one time that helped out a TON of people and the Blockbuster Thread police came out in full force.[/QUOTE]
That's because people are idiots. I have a great idea, how about we just have one giant CAG thread for all deals. May as well take consolidation to the next level

Brilliant right?

/s

Those people are trying to make threads *STORE* based not *DEAL* based which is retarded, IMHO. If a thread (read: deal) is good, it will have a life of its own and be brought to the top of the forum due to replies. If it sucks, it will sink to the bottom where it belongs. Bumping perpetual threads does little good to bring notice to the new deal - if you immediately go to the last page of the perpetual thread, the new deal may have already been bumped from that page leaving you to go search for it. You'll also have to wade through a bunch of replies to find the ones that relate to the new deal.

I can confirm that this isn't local-only. I went by BB after going to a Veteran's Day program, and was ecstatic to find they had the bin. Here's what I found in it:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Frontlines, Dark Sector, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Viking, Condemned 2, GTA IV, Incredible Hulk, Mercenaries 2, Turok, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Ninja Gaiden II, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, Perfect Dark Zero, and Army of Two. Off to the side, though, there was a rack of games that all weren't necessarilly $9.99, but some were. On them were Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Watchmen Episodes 1 and 2, Star Ocean for PSP, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for DS, 007: Quantam of Solace ($6.99) for DS, Guitar Hero: On Tour ($6.99) for DS, and Fear 2 (with box) for $9.99.

Quite a list. Definitely some deals to be had, but I only picked up Modern Warfare. There were two copies in the bin, and while second-guessing myself, I went back and saw an employee stacking the games in his arms. I asked him if he was organizing it, and if he needed help, but he said he was actually looking for himself. I was nice enough to point out they had MW, and told him how awesome it is because he wasn't too excited about it. So I ended up getting one and letting him take the other, and I might go by again tomorrow if I can find that any of those titles can be flipped somewhere else for a profit.

Speaking of which, the employee told me that the trade-in value of MW with the box and instructions was $15 at BB, even though the game itself was only $9.99. So if you can come by both of those for less than $4, or you have them already and don't care about them, you could just buy the game, put it in the box with the manual in it, and be up $4. :p I didn't hear it from him, though. Just sayin'.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler'] Off to the side, though, there was a rack of games that all weren't necessarilly $9.99, but some were. On them were Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Watchmen Episodes 1 and 2, Star Ocean for PSP, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for DS, 007: Quantam of Solace ($6.99) for DS, Guitar Hero: On Tour ($6.99) for DS, and Fear 2 (with box) for $9.99.[/QUOTE]

Right, and these are just normal used game prices at BBV - they've all been that way for a long time now. There are certainly some good deals to be had there but we much prefer to buy them when there's a B1G1 sale ;).

As for the POG sales, these come around every so often but unless there is a massive shipment out to many stores this does not merit it's own thread since it will be highly YMMV. If anything it belongs in the regional forums. If it turns out to be spot shipments here or there be prepared for the flip side of "making a thread for every single YMMV deal" - and that is a lot of disappointed CAGs coming back here and complaining that they wasted their time ;).

Still, though, I'll call my local store just to check - can't hurt I suppose, though 90% of the employees won't know what you are talking about and will simply refer you to their normal used game section.

Edit - Nothing at my local store. After I launched into a long explanation of what these were to the first guy who answered the phone "special shipment of clear-case disc-only used games that some Blockbusters have gotten this week", he said "wait, what are you looking for?". After I explained it a few more times he said "Yeah, hold on a minute". Then a woman picks up who I fear is the new store manager (the woman who used to run it before seems to be gone and she was a pro - knew all about these sorts of things). I had to repeat everything to her and then she said "no, we haven't gotten anything like that". So there you go... If it was the store manager or one of the other long-term employees (who, come to think of it I haven't seen there in a while either), I would have had them check stock at other stores (which they can do on their computer). But I didn't want to hassle with that with these people I didn't know.

I can confirm that most stores will be recieving the pogs this week. The only ones that won't are the low traffic stores that are on the way towards closing. BB's receive new shipments on either tuesday or wednesday, so most likely this stuff wont be put out until wed/thurs for most stores.

That being said, employees DONT know what they will be getting until they scan the barcode and open the box. The best COA would be to first ask if they've recieved pool point (name for shipments) for the week and if they got new pog games in.

I can also confirm that the new price on all the POG games will be 9.99 and not the previous 6.99.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']If this is a corporate store then x360 prepacks are $6.99 and the part number is 241932 unless they've come up with a new part number. I will be able to check tomorrow. Could be a new part number if they are $9.99 and some newer titles. In the previous prepacks I didn't hear or see any gears 2 or cod world at war. The last set of prepacks were few and far between so it's probably a very ymmv.

I think this should go to the Bbv thread since it's been discussed there every other time.[/QUOTE]

I know that at my store every time we get prepacks, the part number changes and so does the title. Whenever I go look at the computer for these prepacks I see stuff like Prepack July 2008 or something along those lines. I believe the part number does change every time.

[quote name='RalliArtEvo']not sure, but i think it means previously owned game.[/QUOTE]

Yep. You might also see it as PPG (previously played game) or PRP (previous rental product)

I'll have to check my store tomorrow...

Ahhhh pool point, I get to deal with it tomorrow. Normally our store doesn't get the prepacks but maybe there will be an early holiday surprise, and a nice way to spend some of the FYE rebate I just got :)

In the off chance my stores don't have this from the list posted the only game I really want is Call of Duty : World at War - if anyone can snag a copy i'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

[quote name='japaki']Well, if I call first thing they open and they tell me it's there, I'm rushing my happy ass over.[/QUOTE]

What happens if the employee like the same game(s) that you just asked about?

1. He can say "No, we don't have the game or the sale" and keep the game(s) for himself.

2. He can say " Yes, we have it" then go pick it up himself and put it under the counter or the office and when you get there, he says that someone else just bought it.

Either way, you can screw yourself out of a game by calling.

I'm not gonna ask what they have just if they have their pool point preowned packs or w/e

EDIT: just called. both said only the stores that are closing will be getting that stuff.

No new prepacks in the 16 stores in our district but we don't get our pool point til Thursday so there is still hope. I know we aren't getting them in my store because we can tell what were getting in up to a week early unlike the other guy that mentioned we don't know til we scan the boxes. True we don't know what's in each particluar box but we can run a report to see what we have coming in. The new prepacks are July 09 and the part number is 275837.

EDIT: just called. both said only the stores that are closing will be getting that stuff.

they have no way of knowing that. We don't have the ability to see what other stores are getting. The last set of prepacks went to both closing and non closing stores.

[quote name='japaki']I'm not gonna ask what they have just if they have their pool point preowned packs or w/e

EDIT: just called. both said only the stores that are closing will be getting that stuff.[/QUOTE]

Again, what if the employee didn't have any idea that there was a sale going on until you called? If I was the employee, I would tell you "yes", but I would go thru the bins the second I got off the phone with you.

I have seen employees go thru the bins after I paid for my games. Recently, one employee say something like "I didn't know that Transformers 2 was $9.99, wow, is there any more?" I said nothing and as I walked out, I saw him go and pick up all
iconps3.gif
Transformers 2. There were 3 left and he picked all of them up....probably an Ebay-er/reseller.

My point is I like to be the first person to get a chance to pick up games, not the employees. Calling potentially alerts them.

Does anyone have an idea if stores may be getting another shipment of these games? I'd say my store has a decent selection, but the only other ones I'd be interested in picking up are WaW and L4D.

bread's done
Back