Blockbuster $9.99 games-local only?

maxdusty

CAGiversary!
They're back (at least at my local store, don't know if it's at all locations but they were sent copies from the central office -as opposed to selling off the local surplus rental copies). My local store got three boxes worth of solely 360 games without the original game cases. They weren't put on the shelves as of yet, but they were all labelled and getting ready to do so. Had some cool people that worked there that gave me a look at the games while they were still available. Was able to buy Call of Duty : World at War. They also had Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1, Gears of War 2, Grid, Saints Row 2, 1 copy of Left 4 Dead. Quite a number of other titles that I can't remember offhand as I wasn't interested in them. Just might go back to get a few copies of other games I can use for flipping.

Only two of the three BB's had the 9.99 or under stand and no luck with COD in either...do they usually get more shipments as the week goes on? They had a couple copies of Fear 2, guitar hero aerosmith, and older sports games

Quote:
Originally Posted by japaki
I'm not gonna ask what they have just if they have their pool point preowned packs or w/e

EDIT: just called. both said only the stores that are closing will be getting that stuff.

Again, what if the employee didn't have any idea that there was a sale going on until you called? If I was the employee, I would tell you "yes", but I would go thru the bins the second I got off the phone with you.

I have seen employees go thru the bins after I paid for my games. Recently, one employee say something like "I didn't know that Transformers 2 was $9.99, wow, is there any more?" I said nothing and as I walked out, I saw him go and pick up all
iconps3.gif
Transformers 2. There were 3 left and he picked all of them up....probably an Ebay-er/reseller.

My point is I like to be the first person to get a chance to pick up games, not the employees. Calling potentially alerts them.

This a sale where each participating store received (sometimes several) boxes of these games to sell. They had to prep them and put them out for purchase. I'm sure that the employees would know by now if there was a game in there that they want. It's not a big store like Best Buy or Target where something like this would go unnoticed. I wouldn't hesitate to call if you want.

Went to 2 BBVs and neither had them. They did have a dump bin that was basically empty with a sign saying "cheaper than renting" but the price points were all over the place. Anyone seen the $9.99 bins in Colorado/ Denver Metro?

[quote name='Cimpy101']This a sale where each participating store received (sometimes several) boxes of these games to sell. They had to prep them and put them out for purchase. I'm sure that the employees would know by now if there was a game in there that they want. It's not a big store like Best Buy or Target where something like this would go unnoticed. I wouldn't hesitate to call if you want.[/QUOTE]

Whatever float your boat.

FYI- Some (not all) BBV employees are clueless. Case in point, when BBV had their B1G1 Sale before, there were huge displays with big letters "Buy One Get One" all over the store (the bins were by the cashiers with the signage) and still the employees were surprised when I bought the games on the first day of the sale.

Who put the displays and signages up?
Who marked the prices on the games?
Who set up the bins?
Who doesn't read their own huge signs?

Answer: Clueless employees
There are clueless people everywhere, not just BBV.

PS- Maybe some employees might notice the boxes, but they don't put 2 and 2 together, or they don't care.

I just got back from bbv and they didn't know about a sale. They had multiple boxes but said that none contained games unfortunately. However, I was able to score a mint Fear 2 still with the slip cover on the outside for 9.99 so not a total waste.

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Three years on CAG and you're going to CALL? The first rule of CAG -- DON'T CALL!!![/QUOTE]

employee-huh what left 4 dead for 9.99 and cod modernwarefare too.mmm let me check --walks away-- Holy shh this kid was right picks them all up, n stashes them under the counter to later buy...gets back on the phone..
mmm yeah were having that sale but i dont think we have those games.

caller---huh ok thanks for checking.

List of all games I remember (all for 360):

Army of Two
Halo 3
Call of Duty World at War
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero 3
Gears of War
Naruto something or other

I ended up just picking up WaW. Not too shabby but I wish I had a case :/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am tempted to go check out my local block buster. Granted I am almost positive they wont have anything good (if at all for that matter..) they are a lower volume store so eh.

My local store has some of those games but the prices are $30 and above :( on the plus side I got a free Boondock Saints 2 poster so all was bot lost! ;)

We didn't get any at my store today. (Cleveland, OH area.)

It would have been interesting to see World at War for $9.99, since, last I checked, it's still trading in for $20ish.

Called earlier today and had them hold CoD4:MW until I got off work and I just got home with them. It always blows me away how they're always in perfect condition. Now I'm just waiting on the L4D shipment. Thanks OP!

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by my local BB today, but no luck... I figure I'll stop by again Friday and see if anything has come in/been put out on the shelves...

BTW, I live in SC for anyone who wonders. Hopefully my store will be getting some soon and if they do, I will let people know.

Big thank you to maxdusty and hawaiiboy for posting the SKU and part number. Due to that info and some helpful managers I was able to get everything I wanted. Although one CSR accusingly asked me how I got it :lol:. I ended up with:

CoD:WaW w/case and manual
CoD 4
Gears of War 2 w/case and manual (missed this one during the $5 HHV sale)
Fable II
Soul Calibur IV
Halo Wars
Orange Box (for a friend after TRU had no more on clearance)
X-men Origins: Wolverine w/case and manual

[quote name='GogetaSS4']Mine didn't have the sale going on so I think this is YMMV.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure? I found the games hidden in the front on the same shelf as some of the candy and other refreshments. They have a sneaky way of hiding stuff. ;)

Damn! I went by the local Blockbuster that's had POG games in the past and it's closing! Pretty well picked clean too... =(

just picked up CoD: MW today. I'm pretty sure the store employees have been buying them as they weren't even on the shelves yet (they were still in open boxes behind the counter- hidden from the general public ...). Yesterday there were about five copies each of Cod:MW and Cod: WaW. Today, there are still a couple of WaW and only one of MW. Unless you knew about the contents of the boxes, you wouldn't know the games were there... so I'm pretty sure the employees have been buying them first. I don't have a problem with that as I wouldn't have known about the games in the first place if it weren't for one of the employee telling me about them.

Thanks to the OP!!

Got the following:
Halo 3 w cover art
Bioshock
Assassins Creed
Army of two w cover art
GTA IV w cover art (funny cause I just got done saying how I wasn't going to play these GTA games)

But they also had:
CoD 4
COD 3
X-men Origins: Wolverine
Burnout Paradise
Saints Row 1
Madden 07, 08 and 09
Frontlines
N3
The Darkness
Rainbow Six Vegas
Mass Effect
Guitar Hero III
Oblivian
Fight Night 3

That's all I can remember.

I wish I could have gotten a COD WaW, left 4 dead and a Gears of War 2. So if anyone has any to trade, let me know and I can go back tomorrow and see what they have left. I KNOW they had several GTA IV, COD4, Bioshock and Assassins Creed.

[quote name='Cimpy101']Called earlier today and had them hold CoD4:MW and Fallout 3 until I got off work and I just got home with them. It always blows me away how they're always in perfect condition. Now I'm just waiting on the L4D shipment. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Where in Ohio?

Mine had a good ammount of games (only COD 4 was worth buying for me).Fable 2, COD 4, Gears 2, Soul Calibur and a bunch of other pretty good ones.. I was hoping for COD WAW, Assassins Creed and Halo 3.

They told me alot of the good ones went earliar in the day and to check at the other one because they also were supposed to get some in. I went to the other BBV in the ghetto (like 15 mins away) They had ZERO of the games just a bunch of junk. I asked them about it and they had no idea. I was like well I was told you guys were going to recieve a box of them today.

She was like "well we have one box we have not had the chance to open yet.." So I asked if they could atleast open it up and check for me. She said no, not untill they are ready to go through it later in the night (it was 6:15...) ... Needless to say I left pretty anoyed and was tempted to go back in and ask one last time (I am pretty sure they were in the box...) It was a pretty good sized box. I think it was lame that they would not open the box and check for me but oh well.

Luckily I go to college about 10 minutes away from that blockbuster so I am going to head back there when I get out of class at 2 tomorow.

Checked mine today. I was able to pick up

Saints Row 2
WWF SvR 2009 Night
MKvsDC
Halo 3
Halo Wars
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

they also had Fable2, Mass Effect, and need for Speed Underground available.

The clerk knew about the POG's but hadn't opened the box yet. He let me be the first and I was able to rack up. Thanks OP this was a fantastic deal.

[quote name='maxdusty']just picked up CoD: MW today. I'm pretty sure the store employees have been buying them as they weren't even on the shelves yet (they were still in open boxes behind the counter- hidden from the general public ...). Yesterday there were about five copies each of Cod:MW and Cod: WaW. Today, there are still a couple of WaW and only one of MW. Unless you knew about the contents of the boxes, you wouldn't know the games were there... so I'm pretty sure the employees have been buying them first. I don't have a problem with that as I wouldn't have known about the games in the first place if it weren't for one of the employee telling me about them.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the one on 3550 Pine Grove connected with a Radio Shack? I went there today at 5:30 P.M. and they told me they didn't have any and would be getting some in a few days.

i wonder if they are going to clear out all of their PSP games for rental every psp game was gone tonight (boxes were on the shelf but every game was checked out) and nothing is ever checked out

[quote name='capwulf']Checked mine today. I was able to pick up

Saints Row 2
WWF SvR 2009 Night
MKvsDC
Halo 3
Halo Wars
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

they also had Fable2, Mass Effect, and need for Speed Underground available.

The clerk knew about the POG's but hadn't opened the box yet. He let me be the first and I was able to rack up. Thanks OP this was a fantastic deal.[/QUOTE]

Lucky, the lady behind the register wouldnt open it (I assume it had the games in it..) She said they would later that night. It made no sense since they had 2 people behind the register and 2 other employees roaming around the store. I am tempted to head there rite now and see if they ever opened it, granted its a good 15 minutes away ugh. I think I am going to give them a call and check (granted they will most likely lie to me) Any one here bored and want to check for me? LOL. 815-932-4320

[quote name='atc250es']Are you talking about the one on 3550 Pine Grove connected with a Radio Shack? I went there today at 5:30 P.M. and they told me they didn't have any and would be getting some in a few days.[/QUOTE]
yes... that's the one, in Fort Gratiot. They do have the games, just not readily visible to the general public. I was also there at around 5:00 pm today and picked up one of the last copies of CoD: MW. (picked up CoD: WaW yesterday (there's still a couple copies of that game in there when I was there today). The games are still in the open carboard box on the back table on the lefthand counter (closest to the entry door). box still has the label sheets on top of the box as they weren't affixed to the games yet. I had to point out the box to the employee today as he initially thought the box was filled with used movies.

[quote name='maxdusty']yes... that's the one, in Fort Gratiot. I was also there at around 5:00 pm today and picked up one of the last copies of CoD: MW. (picked up CoD: WaW yesterday (there's still a couple copies of that game in there when I was there today). The games are still in the open carboard box on the back table on the lefthand counter (closest to the entry door). box still has the label sheets on top of the box as they weren't affixed to the games yet. I had to point out the box to the employee today as he initially thought the box was filled with used movies.[/QUOTE]

PM'd you....

anyone know if any of the Joliet, IL area Blockbuster's are doing this? i'd really love to take advantage and get a few games for my backlog that i've been wanting to play. i'll probably go check a few blockbusters out tomorrow.

[quote name='jd2k9']Lucky, the lady behind the register wouldnt open it (I assume it had the games in it..) She said they would later that night. It made no sense since they had 2 people behind the register and 2 other employees roaming around the store. I am tempted to head there rite now and see if they ever opened it, granted its a good 15 minutes away ugh. I think I am going to give them a call and check (granted they will most likely lie to me) Any one here bored and want to check for me? LOL. 815-932-4320[/QUOTE]
Going to speculate here, perhaps they do know what's in the box and want to get first crack at the games.

Went to 3 of the BBVs in my area (1 Arlington, 2 Alexandria), none of them had anything like that, and the one in Alexandria that was closing had nothing aside from a rather weak sale.

I can confirm a couple of games in Pickerington, Ohio i picked up:

Fear 2 (360, didnt see any ps3 copy's) $9.99
Afro Samuari (PS3, again no 360 vers) $9.99
Final Fantasy CC: Echoes of Time (DS, didnt see Wii v.) $9.99
Indiana Jones Wii game $9.99
Shellshock 2 BloodTrails (360, no ps3 again) $4.99

[quote name='slimin1122']I can confirm a couple of games in Pickerington, Ohio i picked up:

Fear 2 (360, didnt see any ps3 copy's) $9.99
Afro Samuari (PS3, again no 360 vers) $9.99
Final Fantasy CC: Echoes of Time (DS, didnt see Wii v.) $9.99
Indiana Jones Wii game $9.99
Shellshock 2 BloodTrails (360, no ps3 again) $4.99[/QUOTE]

360 version of afro samurai is $15 at tru. Might be worth the extra $5 for a new copy.

[quote name='Mizzou75']anyone know if any of the Joliet, IL area Blockbuster's are doing this? i'd really love to take advantage and get a few games for my backlog that i've been wanting to play. i'll probably go check a few blockbusters out tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I live in Bourbonnais (around 30-40 minutes away from you) They had a pretty nice amount of good games in. I checked out the Kankakee blockbuster and they claim they got nothing in (granted they had a big box they would not open...) I called them an hour ago and they still claim they got nothing in (granted my gut senses they are lieing) My cousin who lives in Tinley just left a little while ago and is going to check at the Tinley Park BBV.

I can confirm in Tomball Texas....

Fear 2
Call of Duty: World At War
Street Fighter 4
Gears of War 2

and a few smaller titles....all 9.99

I checked three Blockbuster's near me, none of them had anything like this. Owell, was really hoping to get COD4 for that great price!

Yeah no luck at my local blockbuster (rockwall,tx) either. They did have a 'bargin bin' a few weeks ago, but nothing as good as this deal. That bin has now gone, most of the games other CAGs are listing were $20-30 and the whole store was pretty much devoted to Xmas merchandise (they were still remodelling when I went in).

Went yesterday and checked the two stores by me here in Utah. Neither of them had anything. I'm going to probably check again tonight.

[quote name='cosmo2389']I stopped by my local BB today, but no luck... I figure I'll stop by again Friday and see if anything has come in/been put out on the shelves...

BTW, I live in SC for anyone who wonders. Hopefully my store will be getting some soon and if they do, I will let people know.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'm in Greenville -- not sure where in the state you are. But I was planning on checking a store or two today myself and will report back.

I think you should at least have the person at the register check price for you. I went in to my local BB in Kenner, LA last night and the "bin" was full of garbage games. I found Fear 2 and Afro Samurai type games on the shelves near the rental games. My BB has a small used section right by the rental copies. The stickers on Fear 2 said 19.99. I brought it to the register and he said that price was correct. I told him to check in the computer and sure enough it rang up at 9.99. So those that say the prices are higher, you have nothing to lose by having them check in the system. Didn't check what Afro rang up because I already have it.

Picked up these without book/cover (all for 360):

Call of Duty 4
Fallout 3
Saints Row 2
Gears of War 2

This is in Johnson City, TN at the N. Roan St. Blockbuster.

Also saw WaW, Ninja Gaiden 2, and a few others. Gonna check some other nearby stores.

Um, YMMV. My blockbuster (Media, PA) had nothing like this & the guy (who was very nice & helpful) even checked his store ad list for awhile & said he hadn't heard anything about it either.

[quote name='jpatern']I think you should at least have the person at the register check price for you. I went in to my local BB in Kenner, LA last night and the "bin" was full of garbage games. I found Fear 2 and Afro Samurai type games on the shelves near the rental games. My BB has a small used section right by the rental copies. The stickers on Fear 2 said 19.99. I brought it to the register and he said that price was correct. I told him to check in the computer and sure enough it rang up at 9.99. So those that say the prices are higher, you have nothing to lose by having them check in the system. Didn't check what Afro rang up because I already have it.[/QUOTE]
This is why this thread beongs in the BBV thread. COD4, WaW, and all the games in the clear cases are all POG games that apparently ring up 9.99 now. FEAR 2 and Afro Samurai are regularly priced games that are 9.99 and will ring up that way unless you are at franchise store. There is nothing here that is actually a "sale" this is all typical BBV stuff that you all would know about if you read the BBV thread.

[quote name='Fear No Darkness']Um, YMMV. My blockbuster (Media, PA) had nothing like this & the guy (who was very nice & helpful) even checked his store ad list for awhile & said he hadn't heard anything about it either.[/QUOTE]

Ah sweet, thats my local one to, thanks for saving me any pointless trips over there.

bread's done
Back